View Poll Results: How was this Christmas with the Belchers?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Great Grandfather of the Bob

6 42.86%
  • 4/5 - Father of the Linda

8 57.14%
  • 3/5 - Bob of the Bob

0 0%
  • 2/5 - You're a real motherfather, Bob

0 0%
  • 1/5 - Son of a Bob, this aired?!

0 0%

Thread: R&R - Bob's Burgers - "Father of the Bob"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

R&R - Bob's Burgers - "Father of the Bob"

Bob and his dad, "Big Bob", try to outdo each other in the kitchen when they rehash an old argument during Bob's Christmas party. Meanwhile, the kids compete to find the best gift for their dad.
    Guest starring Bill Hader as Big Bob, Carl Reiner as Henry, and Nick Offerman as Pete.

Since this is an episode I've been excited to see for a long time, I felt the need to make this Rate and Review.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

pretty good. i liked bob's dad a lot. i hope he reappears, there's a lot of potential there.

anyone know who voiced that dancer who said "be yourself sister" (paraphrasing)? didn't catch them in the credits but the voice sounded really familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Wants to be a sweetie pie Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent. Their icy relationship was really believable, and subplot with the presents was a nice diversion from the main plot. I liked the flashbacks, too.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: fas1997

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Prancer View Post
    Excellent. Their icy relationship was really believable, and subplot with the presents was a nice diversion from the main plot. I liked the flashbacks, too.
    Ditto this is my favorite episode of the season along with Dawn of the Peck. The humor is more hit than miss and I wasn't bothered at all. It kept me interested mainly the two Bob's plot. Best Bob's Burgers Christmas episode ever. 10/10
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

I really liked this one. After waiting five seasons for the reveal on Big Bob's Diner (I figured it was his dad's since the beginning, but didn't it get sold to some ladies in Bob Fires the Kids?), we finally meet Big Bob. I'm guessing Bob's mom is dead or not there, but I loved the focus they had on the tension between the two. Since Bill Hader is on all the time, I don't see why they shouldn't bring Big Bob back for another episode. The flashbacks were a definite highlight. A 4/5.

Blog Entries

Yeah she's definitely dead. Nice to finally meet Bob's dad and it had a great, heartwarming story. Not sure if they'll bring him back, but I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Kids plot literally fell apart in the end, but it resolved nicely and there was a ton of great humor. Easily the best ep of S5 so far.

5/5
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Christ, Linda was intolerable in this... so fucking annoying from start to finish.

Aside from that it was fine. I enjoy the kids plot a lot, particularly Tina's sassy remarks towards Gene and Louise as she kept adding things to the chair. Gene running around covered in bean juice after Big Bob left was funny too.

The main plot was interesting to say the least. It was great to see Bob's dad and I enjoyed his character. I'd like to hear more in a future episode about what happened to his mom though. It'll probably be super sad but I'm sure it'd be a worthwhile to tell. I don't really think Bob was in the wrong when he one-upped his dad though. Like it or not, his dad was still being an asshole, I wouldn't have blamed Bob for not wanting the partnership as a teen if he knew he couldn't be the cook he aspired to be in such a toxic work environment, and that he got to prove that he made the right choice all those years later was great, and on the exact same customer no less. The fact that they made up was nice, and the dancing stuff was a neat little runner for the duration of that conversation, but the fact that everyone seemed pissed off at Bob after Big Bob left was just a real Family Fracas level groaner.

Overall, 3.5/5. Rounded off to a 4 for the poll.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

really? I mean in the end bob kind of embarrassed the hell out of his dad in his own restaurant on Christmas Eve... both guys were being assholes, which Big Bob even admitted in the end.

I love looooove Bob's Burgers and I would give this episode a10/10, except Gene was so incredibly disgusting in it that I'm taking it down two and giving it an 8/10.
    Gene is effing nasty.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

It's not a great episode, but it's a pretty good one and it got rid of the bad taste in my mouth that The 2000 Year Old Virgin left me with. It has a very strong story and it's just overall a very good Christmas episode. 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Thought it was great. Very nice to see Big Bob. It went about how I expected, not much in the way of surprise as far as the plot goes but it was just so well done. I felt the same with the in-law story in s1. Linda was definitely being more pushy than she needed to but ~Christmas magic~ and all that biz. Tina trying to psyche out the others in the basement for best present was humorous, but that baked bean thing...I haven't really thought "what the fuck, Gene" in awhile, and this is Gene we are talking about. But it paid off slightly when he walked out like a total mess to further bring down Bob's (slightly obnoxious) celebration of victory. I totally understand that type of parental relationship so I feel for Bob's need to prove his father wrong, but yeah I can see why people would be put off with him running his father out of his own restaurant on Christmas Eve over a burger ..and festering grudge sure but no one else really knew of that except the father's friends. But Bob's a weirdo so whatever, he had to scream about something. Of course I liked the reveal of the newspaper memento and the Bobs making up. Oh and gotta mention, enjoyed the interactions between the kids and Big Bob. I had wondered how close they would all be and I sorta wish I could see what, if any, Big Bob's level of interaction was with the kids when they were smaller and Bob was still willing to see his dad before the long gap.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Banned

I don't normally comment on Bob's Burgers r & r threads but man I really loved this episode.

Big Bob was a great presence, who was characterised perfectly within that icy dynamic that exists between him and his son. This was an example of an episode where technically not a lot happened, but the dialogue and general 'feel' compensates for it. The humour was consistently on point, the best scene was Bob having a dance-to-heart in santa's gay bar and the subplot was fun (especially Gene's bean bath).

Only Linda's general annoyance and that the final couple of scenes could have improved upon deny this a perfect score.

5/5, 9/10, A-

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

5/5: one of my favorite episodes of the show. I thought it was really enjoyable and it was great to meet Bob's dad.

Thread Information