Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elder Scrolls Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I recently dusted off Oblivion and started playing it again (mostly because I couldn't find Morrowind). A few first impressions:

The fact that there's trees and grass and stuff makes it feel totally different from Skyrim
    Lack of undead all over the place is cool
    Scamps are still the worst enemy creature ever (GRRRRAAAAHHHHHH!!!! *fireballs all day*)
    Alchemy is still equally cool and pointless
    Stone structures are standing out to me over wooden stuff
    Don't like that animals are mental and will attack anything that moves, which is usually me
    I miss the cooking feature

Any ghostly undead was a bitch for me because I never bothered with magic or enchanting in Oblivion. I'm a tank, I like to whack things. But silver weapons are so lame. Thank god for the Daedric weapons.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Banned

Ghosts never caused me trouble after I levelled up my Conjuration, I just summoned my own Ghosts and watched them fight.

In Skyrim, I summon a daedra bro to follow me and Shadowmere most of the time

Hired Goon

I have Skyrim and I really enjoyed what I've played of it. Like with pretty much every other game I own, I keep meaning to get back to it but haven't in months. It's a gorgeous game though, I love exploring its world and looting caves and other places. I'm a bigger fan of the Fallout games mostly because of the real-world locations and neat retro-future setting, but that's just a matter of personal preference. Hell, I have today off so maybe I'll dust off Skyrim and play it today. Thanks, thread!

So, I've recently given up on Oblivion. Got into the whole mythic dawn quest, and forgot how OP those guys were in the first mission, so I decided to say screw it and started playing Skyrim again instead.
    I think I maybe didn't give Skyrim enough credit for the quality of environment in my earlier post. It actually is a really nice looking game. I think what I said came out of the feeling of sameness you get after having put in a lot of time with the game, so all the really nice looking stuff outside becomes basic background to you.
    Anyway, Skyrim also seems more suited to exploration, so I think I'm just going to ignore the geybeards entirely, or maybe just do one of their quests each time I encounter a dragon, which will hopefully be rarely.
    Anybody have suggestions for interesting locations/sidequests I might not know about?

I left the main quest/Greybeards 'til late (I always get stuck endlessly exploring as soon as they let me) and realized I could've unlocked helpful Words/Shout powers earlier on if I had just at least done SOME of their stuff. I don't know how far you've progressed though so it might not be an issue for you plus you've played it before so you probably already know that biz.

Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild were my fave faction quests.

I loved all the quests for the Daedric artifacts. First one I happened to do involved meeting a strange fella in a tavern and having a drink. Second was in the Blue Palace. Those two are definitely my fave of the Daedric quests.

Trying to remember some lesser sidequests...I know one cool one was started by talking to someone in the East Empire Company at Windhelm but can't remember details. The Pale Lady, leads you to an area I found hauntingly beautiful, it starts at Frostmere Crypt. And Frostflow Lighthouse has a cool quest. Other than that I mostly remember the obvious ones that trigger upon entering cities like the Forsworn stuff, or basically ANY quest that is tied to a tomb location.

Quote Originally Posted by kup o' nog View Post
    I loved all the quests for the Daedric artifacts. First one I happened to do involved meeting a strange fella in a tavern and having a drink.
    That was one of my favourites! I don't think I did the other one, but I may take some time to look for it and others.
    I'm unsure how much of the game I actually completed, but I know I have an old character that got up to level 30, but I suspect I left the main quest behind at some point towards my abandonment of that character.

Hired Goon

Blargh, I just typed out a big elaborate post and then it went away.

Anyways, so I actually did start playing Skyrim again the day I made my above post! I've pretty much played it every day since. It makes me so very happy I never played a whole lot of Oblivion, but I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas to no end, and Skyrim has been giving me the same joy that those games did. It's a lot prettier, and more polished in a lot of ways. It took some getting used to the way skills level up individually, but now that I have the hang of it, I really like the way they do that, instead of having to choose a skill to distribute skill points into every time you level up. So potentially you can level up all of your skills at once and make yourself well-rounded.

Yesterday I came across my first random dragon encounter, it was pretty scary. Took me some tries but I killed it by myself, and another one shortly after. Gonna stockpile them dragon bones and scales.

I've been trying to get my Speech up but it's going pretty slowly. The only way I know of is to sell stuff, or to come across skill books, which are pretty rare. Anybody have any good Speech-raising tactics I might be forgetting?

Well, if you don't mind paying, you can have trainers around Skyrim help you level your skill. I think the lowest level trainer is one of the shopkeeps in Windhelm.

You can also just chance it and get into situations that require you to bribe or persuade someone. When I joined the Thieves Guild I bribed a lot of guards and pickpocketed back my money. Some random quests will level your Speech as well. I remember speaking to a bard's ghost after finding and jumping off a sweet ass waterfall but it's in The Reach (Lost Valley Redoubt) and the Forsworn in the area are fucking relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by iambobdole1 View Post
    That was one of my favourites! I don't think I did the other one, but I may take some time to look for it and others.
    I'm unsure how much of the game I actually completed, but I know I have an old character that got up to level 30, but I suspect I left the main quest behind at some point towards my abandonment of that character.
    Ah all right. I actually stopped my main quest at The Way of the Voice for like...months and levels upon levels...which is why I missed some cool junk from the Greybeards. I have currently left off at the choice between Imperials and Stormcloaks as I haven't done the civil war stuff yet.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

Honestly, I wanted to like the civil war stuff, but I found it really boring. Also, the first time I completed it, there was a glitch at the FINAL battle, and I had to go back and redo a whole bunch of that shit. I think I just expected a bit more than just going to battle and I didn't get that. Honestly, I tried really hard to like the war quests, but since I completed the whole thing I haven't really touched it much at all during any replays. One of the weakest quest lines in the whole game tbh.

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by kup o' nog View Post
    Well, if you don't mind paying, you can have trainers around Skyrim help you level your skill. I think the lowest level trainer is one of the shopkeeps in Windhelm.

You can also just chance it and get into situations that require you to bribe or persuade someone. When I joined the Thieves Guild I bribed a lot of guards and pickpocketed back my money. Some random quests will level your Speech as well. I remember speaking to a bard's ghost after finding and jumping off a sweet ass waterfall but it's in The Reach (Lost Valley Redoubt) and the Forsworn in the area are fucking relentless.
    Ahh cool, thanks. I did grab the perk at lvl 30 that allows you to bribe guards when you're arrested, so that has helped a little bit. It's a long way to lvl 50, but I do have a shitton of gold saved up so I'mma find me some trainers.

On another subject, something I discovered by accident the other day is that you can eat Ingredients to discover one of their uses ("healing" or "damage health" or whatever). I've found a couple of recipe notes, but otherwise I've just got a shitload of ingredients stockpiled - so many that I had to store a bunch of them in my house. I guess you can just start combining random ingredients at Alchemy Labs to see if it makes something? I'm sure there are other recipes hidden elsewhere in the world too.

I probably have enough freaking Fly Amanita to make a thousand of whatever they're used for.

Yes, to find the effects of any ingredient you have to create combos in the lab or just eat them to chance an effect. The game will then start letting you know what does and doesn't make a combo and it'll be less trial and error as you go on. And you can also buy recipes from merchants if you don't find them out in world.

You'd be surprised how fast you go through your ingredients..

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Politely View Post
    Honestly, I wanted to like the civil war stuff, but I found it really boring. Also, the first time I completed it, there was a glitch at the FINAL battle, and I had to go back and redo a whole bunch of that shit. I think I just expected a bit more than just going to battle and I didn't get that. Honestly, I tried really hard to like the war quests, but since I completed the whole thing I haven't really touched it much at all during any replays. One of the weakest quest lines in the whole game tbh.
    Agreed. I never went too far into the politics, but I'm told that completing them actually does change the towns involved in the battles, so that's kind of a cool feature if you follow through.
    I think the big problem with the political subplot was that they threw a dragon into the story right out of the gate, and then the whole dragonborn thing almost immediately after, so by that point the rest seems really irrelevant.

Hired Goon

Bumpity bump. Just hit the 100-hour mark the other day, and I still am probably not even halfway done with the game. I'm at EXP level 45 and most of my skills I've been focusing on are in the 60/70 range, with the exception of my Archery which is nearly at 100. I love my bow. I know that there's an update where you can make a skill "Legendary" when it reaches 100, but I'm probably going to hold off on doing that to Archery for a while since I don't want to cripple myself. Maybe I'll do it to my Lockpick since there are a few perks in that skill I didn't grab yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    I remember speaking to a bard's ghost after finding and jumping off a sweet ass waterfall but it's in The Reach (Lost Valley Redoubt) and the Forsworn in the area are fucking relentless.
    I had forgotten that you mentioned this. I just did this last night! I saved before I jumped (because I had no clue if it would do anything), but survived the fall and was surprised to find a ghost standing there when I emerged from the water. That was really neat. Makes me wonder how many people never come across that because they're either afraid to jump, or they don't survive the fall the first time and then figure "welp guess I shouldn't have done that."

And yes, screw those Forsworn. I'm pretty much a tank by now, and I had to use quite a few potions during that fight. Must have been 10 or 12 of those fuckers, and they were all high-level too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Makes me wonder how many people never come across that because they're either afraid to jump, or they don't survive the fall the first time and then figure "welp guess I shouldn't have done that."
    Honestly, probably not a ton of people, but I can't imagine someone playing Skyrim or any Elder Scrolls game without that inherent need to jump on to and off of every single thing they find. But also there's a quest + Word Wall in that area so eventually the game will lead you there with a marker and the summit will be very, very enticing.... Even if they just accidentally fall off the cliff and into the water, they activate the thing, which is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Must have been 10 or 12 of those fuckers, and they were all high-level too.
    And they will continue to be from now on. Yay for scaled leveling!

But this is why I just sneak attack everything with a bow now.

Hired Goon

I sneak-attacking. That little cymbal crash sound effect that plays when you pull one off is music to my ears. My Sneak skill is my second-highest after Archery. I took that 3x sneak attack damage for the bow perk immediately when I met the requirements for it. I'm pretty close to having all of the Archery perks; I just need to get the lvl 100 one, and all five ranks of the first perk (I think there's also a second rank for the slow-time perk too - I need that also).

The 15x multiplier for sneak attacks with daggers is amazing, too. I love when it does the throat-slitting animation. I greatly enjoy sneaking up behind someone, pickpocketing them, and then backstabbing them to death in one hit.

I've entirely neglected using any type of magic so far in the game. I'm sure once I hit lvl 100 in all of my main skills, I'll get bored and want to start using more magic. I think the only time I've leveled a magic skill (outside of skill books) is one random-ass time when I accidentally jumped into some fire, and it leveled up my Destruction.

I never used magic in Oblivion but use it all the time in Skyrim because it's loads easier to manage. I love pulling off strong magic attacks that look like hadouken.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

I actually think the magic system is the one thing TES gets progressively better with each time. Morrowind's magic system is incredibly awkward to use if you mainly fight with weapons and unless I'm playing a mage type character I don't tend to use much other than specific skills. Oblivion's is slightly better and Skyrim improved even more.

Blog Entries

Posting some videos from Bacon_ on 3D Elder Scrolls' weird middle child. Watching these you'd swear Bethesda made Oblivion like this on purpose. Just a comedy goldmine

Oblivion is easily my favourite video game of all time, I've alway preferred its questlines over Skyrim's. I almost always use magic whenever I play Oblivion, its pretty convenient having a high enough level in Alteration that you can use magic to unlock any locked door. Being able to make your own spells is pretty fun too.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

I enjoy Oblivion mainly because of how weird it is. It's a fun, completely baffling acid trip of a game, but it still irks me how the Argonians look like burned mutants and the Khajiit look like victims of exactly 1 million bee stings.

Been playing Morroblivion, Morrowind recreated in Oblivion's engine. It's a little weird but a lot of fun tho it does tend to crash sometimes when transitioning from interior to exterior cells.

I love Oblivion, sometimes much more than Skyrim. It's a mood thing. I have very fond memories of dealing with the Shivering Isles. I don't love using any magic at all in Oblivion, though. I just don't care about Alteration in that game. Locked doors were never a big issue for me, anyway.

Blog Entries

I'm burned out on Skyrim for now (especially since my lvl 50 archer was wiped), so I've been switching between Daggerfall, Morrowind, Morroblivion, and Online. I might go for vanilla Oblivion after I get those out of the way.

I've never used magic in any TES game beyond restoration because I like beating the shit out of things too much

Thread Information