Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 346



Thread: Bill Cosby's rape allegations



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #211
    The death of satire OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    15,411
    Blog Entries
    418


    HE'S FUCKING GUILTY, geez. If he wasn't a celebrity, nobody would even defend him.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 11-23-2014 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther;bt41182
    Can’t imagine having quotes turned off. I think I get a rush of dopamine whenever I get a notification.

  2. #212
    Your Deer Friend ThatsAPaddlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The Simpsons are going to Delaware!
    Posts
    4,888
    Blog Entries
    7


    Yeah, my awful monster of a father has also told me of the situation with my ex "there are two sides to every story" and flat-out said I deserved everything. Every night he watches TV on the big plasma my ex gave him and still thinks he's just the greatest. Really twists the knife when he trashes Mr. Paddlin, the man who loves me more than anything and saved my life. My mom is still completely charmed by my ex too, it's so painful.

    This is just your average joe abuser. Imagine what it's like when an abuser is a rich and powerful and able to sell their illusion to millions.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮



  3. #213
    oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Partying in the burbs
    Posts
    13,600
    Blog Entries
    1


    I know from the off that this is a flawed analogy, but I refuse to believe for example that if a man was accused of mass homicide, and there were witnesses saying they saw him kill 10-15 people that certain boarders would be trotting out "innocent until proven guilty" and "but but he's so funny, it's a shame his work will be forgotten just because he's a bit of a murderer"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

  4. #214
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    is the Cosby show really all that good of a show to be "tainted" anyways
    twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."


  5. #215
    Comic Book Me Shaunbadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    28,671
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    So just because he's a rapist, that discredits everything good he has ever done? Cosby has done a fair amount of philanthropic work, most notably a $20 million donation to Spelman College and the establishment of the Hello Friend/Ennis William Cosby Foundation. Back in his heyday, his comedy entertained millions (I remain a big fan of his comedy), and the way he acted on camera was likely a positive influence for many. I'm not defending Cosby for what he has possibly done (none of his positive actions can excuse him if he is found guilty), but it saddens me to learn that this scandal will taint all of the positive things he has done and that Cosby will be remembered for doing such horrible things.
    By this logic Jimmy Savile would still be looked at in a positive light because he raised £40 million for charities in his lifetime while being a household name in the UK as a TV and radio personality. Sure, that's all well and good, but when the evidence started to pile up of all the various sexual assaults he had committed on children over the span of 4 decades, well, it's not like anyone could have said with a straight face "Yeah, but to be fair, he did raise 40 million... I think he'd earned himself a bit of rumpy pumpy with the kids here and there if he fancied it".

    Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Turkey No. 2 View Post
    if you still don't believe it and you were one of those people who gave him a standing ovation in florida, you're probably an asshole.
    Just had to look that up. In fairness, if you went to his show and were applauding him based on his performance on stage, then I don't see how that makes you a bad person. It'd be like watching an episode The Cosby Show and being labelled a bad person for laughing a few times because of his actions outside of his profession, and applauding for a performer as they come on and leave is hardly unheard of in the entertainment industry.

    A much more jarring case of something like that would be the time David Letterman's audience was laughing and cheering while he gave a (Roughly) 10 minute confession that he had sex with women who worked on his show and that there was extortion involved from someone who knew abut what was going on behind the scenes.
    How to remaster

  6. #216


    The reason this case strikes me to something a bit similar in real life is that there is a guy I know who is a very talented musician, but a horrible, perverted, and probably a future rapist of an asshole. This guy was someone I used to be fond of, but once we found out how horrible he was, my friends and I all dismissed him. Unfortunately, this guy is someone who gets up on stage and is applauded by so many ignorant people. They praise him for the work he does on stage. When I hear HIM play, I cannot get the underlying thought of the sexual harassment he's pulled or the death threats he has given to people around him. If people never see me smile or applaud for him, it's because he's not worthy of anything.

    That makes him a shitty guy. In the case for Bill Cosby, if these allegations are true, then I really lose respect in all for the guy.

    You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

  7. #217
    Hired Goon box elder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    16,685


    can we cut the "he hasn't been found guilty in court" bullshit please? nobody is suggesting we lock him up without a trial, but people have every right to weigh the evidence for themselves and decide whether they think he's guilty or not. and he's guilty as fuck


  8. #218
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5



  9. #219
    d=(^_^)z kupomog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    37,986


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    is the Cosby show really all that good of a show to be "tainted" anyways
    A Different World is better in every way, to me.

    ...especially after Denise Huxtable leaves.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

  10. #220
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    kind of strange because I grew up on nick at nite/tv land repeats and still to this day never saw a single episode of "a different world". the closest I got was a crossover between that and cosby show I think

  11. #221
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,020
    Blog Entries
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    "Woohoo for rape!" - the entire state of Florida


  12. #222
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    frat house environment is all that's needed to be said to instantly (and sadly) understand it

  13. #223
    d=(^_^)z kupomog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    37,986


    I don't remember what channel I used to watch A Different World on, but looks like this is at least one channel that aired it:


  14. #224
    Gonna explode Financial Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    26,580
    Blog Entries
    28


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Yeah, how dare they applaud a guy whom they admire and hasn't been proven to have done anything wrong.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

  15. #225
    the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    hamilton, on
    Posts
    3,799
    Blog Entries
    103


    oh, panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamtasm View Post

  16. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    i don't know where i am
    Posts
    20,889
    Blog Entries
    126


    "Proven" is the key word I guess. Yes it's pretty damn likely that this is true but as it hasn't necessarily been proven yet people can still admire him, as ignorant as it seems.

  17. #227
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,020
    Blog Entries
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Yeah, how dare they applaud a guy whom they admire and hasn't been proven to have done anything wrong.
    naive panther

  18. #228
    Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,851


    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    ...it's not like anyone could have said with a straight face "Yeah, but to be fair, he did raise 40 million... I think he'd earned himself a bit of rumpy pumpy with the kids here and there if he fancied it".
    See, this, this is the problem. Defenders may rightly point out that he did good work too, but nobody at all is (should be) using that to justify abusing people. It's putting words in someone else's mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by box elder View Post
    can we cut the "he hasn't been found guilty in court" bullshit please? nobody is suggesting we lock him up without a trial, but people have every right to weigh the evidence for themselves and decide whether they think he's guilty or not. and he's guilty as fuck
    No one's denying you your opinion. It's just that your opinion doesn't count for much unless you're a lawyer or a judge.


  19. #229
    wanna live like Surströmming Elliot76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,626


    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Yeah, how dare they applaud a guy whom they admire and hasn't been proven to have done anything wrong.
    I understand you like sticking to facts and "innocent when proven guilty" is a very solid principle in my eyes but you have to remember that they're only proven guilty by a separate group of people somewhere in the world; the "law" is not some living entity. We, as a group of people, can also put the evidence together that we have access to and decide whether we think he is guilty or innocent from that and the overwhelmingly biased news and evidence definitely leans towards guilty. In fact, I'd go so far to say as this case might never be "proved" because he will likely consistently deny it; that doesn't mean he is forever innocent though.
    so yeah, they're most likely applauding a rapist.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

  20. #230
    nsfw pilcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Californiaphile
    Posts
    15,879
    Blog Entries
    203


    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot74 View Post
    so yeah, they're most likely applauding a rapist.
    Is this all we'll ever think of when we think of Bill Cosby anymore? Of course, I can't speak for anyone in the audience that night, but people should have the right to applaud a performer whom they thought did a good job without being so harshly criticized because they're "defending a rapist" or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snospitmmer SimpEhtson View Post
    HE'S FUCKING GUILTY, geez. If he wasn't a celebrity, nobody would even defend him.
    Here we go again. No one is (well, I am certainly not) defending him because he's a celebrity. I'm defending his work from being ignored from now on just because the man behind it is a potential rapist. This is certainly less applicable to your average Joe who is accused of similar crimes, although it should still hold up; he may be a rapist, but he should still be recognized and respected for the positive things that he's done for the world. People seem to have to identify him as nothing but a rapist, whereas I'd like to continue respecting him as an artist but not as a person.

  21. #231
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,020
    Blog Entries
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Is this all we'll ever think of when we think of Bill Cosby anymore?
    If he raped people (and the staggering reports being told from victims point to that being a neon-lit "YES"), I'd say that without a doubt this is what we'll correlate to him because what he's being accused of is insanely reprehensible and just because you think him spouting stand-up nullifies his actions doesn't mean it's right. I'm not saying people can't enjoy his stand-up, they certainly can but you posed the question of if this is all we'll ever associate Bill Cosby with anymore which, in turn, seemed to downplay the entire situation.

    These allegations have been around for years and crop up when someone else comes forward. He has paid off numerous people before to keep them quiet and it's just gotten too large this time. Even if he does successfully pay off each and every person saying this, his public image has been impacted greatly.


  22. #232
    the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,144
    Blog Entries
    7


    hannibal buress on point



  23. #233
    nsfw pilcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Californiaphile
    Posts
    15,879
    Blog Entries
    203


    I thought I've made it clear enough that I firmly believe him spouting stand-up does not nullify any of his actions.

    It's not wrong to associate this image with him in the future, but all I'm suggesting is that people shouldn't completely forget his work either. Totally downplaying his actions as a rapist is too extreme, but so is totally nullifying anything else he has done solely because he's a rapist.


  24. #234
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,020
    Blog Entries
    4


    I'm the opposite. If someone is a piece of shit excuse for a human, that makes it extremely hard for me to enjoy their work. Especially in this case, after The Cosby Show propagated morals and being wholesome and family values. Nah, that's just hypocritical. Bill Cosby has gotten higher on his horse with old age and it turns out that the weight of all his bullshit made the horse's legs buckle and collapse and now he's covered in horseshit. I don't give a single fuck how funny he may be or how "ground-breaking" he may have been, the evidence points to him doing something disgusting and as a human being, I can't enjoy his work let alone relate or connect to it.


  25. #235
    Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,851


    Hey, they say even Mussolini made the trains run on time.

  26. #236
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,020
    Blog Entries
    4


    And Hitler was a great artist.

  27. #237
    Hired Goon box elder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    16,685


    i'm not sure what @pkkao is even arguing, but i don't think anybody is saying "him being a rapist makes everything he's ever been affiliated with terrible in retrospect." some people may never be able to view it the same way again, and that's totally understandable, but that doesn't make anyone a bad person for still enjoying it either. however, still liking the cosby show or whatever is quite different from currently and actively supporting him financially and with standing fucking ovations

    and, no, my opinion doesn't "matter" in the sense that me acknowledging that he's a rapist isn't going to garner any justice for his plethora of victims. but at the same time i'm well within my rights to call him a fucking rapist pile of shit whether a jury has convicted him or not (which is very unlikely now because of the US' backwards ass statute of limitation laws regarding rape)


  28. #238
    Global Moderator The Goode Family's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,706
    Blog Entries
    751


    yeah he won't be declared innocent or guilty. there won't be a trial. it's such a cop out to say "what you say doesn't matter!" because ofc it doesn't but i'm allowed to think he's a pile of shit and should not be getting gigs, let alone standing ovations.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

  29. #239
    withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,271


    Quote Originally Posted by Old painty-can Ned View Post
    Fuck pkkako as usual
    .

  30. #240
    Gonna explode Financial Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    26,580
    Blog Entries
    28


    Yes, you've already clarified that you want "pkkako" to be fucked. Perhaps you could debate him in regards to what he is saying rather than restate a meaningless insult.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •