Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bill Cosby's rape allegations

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Global Moderator The Goode Family's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister Burns View Post
    You're the one who's used the word "fuck" at least 20 times in this thread. It's a bit hypocritical to accuse those guys of being offensive given the circumstances.
    hahaha how dumb are you? the w*rd f*ck is offensive? jesus

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spruce Moose View Post
    I bet you're all the same bastards who give Stalin a hard time I mean if you just look past the mass genocide he did so much good stuff for Russia.
    Well, Hitler did get Germany out of a depression... Yes, I know I said the H word; thread over.

Meh. Seems like it's just up to the individual. This is similar to Richard Wagner, the composer. Some people refuse to listen to his operas because he was an outspoken anti-Semite. But I can separate the music from the man.

In this case, Cosby's work could stand on its own separate from him, but not everyone will be able to view it that way. If he was talking about women's issues, then yeah, probably can't take that seriously anymore. I know I'm not adding anything new, but I just wanted to say that...
    Get woke, go broke

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAGobblin View Post
    Yes, because using a naughty word is exactly on the same level as espousing offensive views on rape.
    Nobody is espousing offensive views on rape. How is that even possible? To say rape can be justified? Show me where anyone has said that in this thread.

Blog Entries

ur reading comprehension is so bad

Gonna explode Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graivy View Post
    All I'm saying is that you, anyone, everyone can enjoy his work and stand-up and bippity-boopity puddinpops but for me, personally, that isn't gonna happen. That isn't how I relate to or enjoy comedy or art; how can I laugh and have a good time with someone who potentially took advantage and abused numerous women? I think it's a logical stance to take and when you say "oh, look past the potential that he raped people", it seems like you're downplaying the whole issue. I know you'll say that you're not but intentions can easily go awry.
    That's not what I'm trying to say, though. I never watched The Cosby show, and saw very little of his stand-up, but I'm simply trying to make the point that what good he has done should not suddenly go unnoticed. And he's done more than be in a sitcom and do Jell-O commercials. This post sums up his contribtions well:

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity183 View Post
    He always presented himself as a hard-working and respectful person, and his Cosby Show likely did a lot to open new opportunities for blacks in the media as well as in general. He even spoke out against the vulgar stereotypes of African Americans, giving a nod to MLK integration instead of Malcolm X separatism
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

go thread go

Blog Entries

rape negates all those things. if anything it makes him even worse for being a hypocrit

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure someone already pointed out how old Bill was problematic as far as race relations go but I hope whoever it is comes back to explain it better than I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope your post falls on ears willing to listen, Panther, because you're talking to a brick wall. I've held the belief that Bill Cosby is a turd for a while now. He's a hypocritical, pretentious, has-been.

Blog Entries

Honestly, he just fell into that stereotype where he thinks old age (and the success he's had, I'm sure) entitles him to a higher opinion than everyone else. I don't give a flying shit what Bill Cosby thinks about the world today but he seems to think his word is golden and his opinion on how we can adjust and fix things is supreme.

Blog Entries

Is it that difficult to separate the artist from the art? Especially in the case of Bill Cosby, whose work I personally find to be timeless (in the sense that he avoids topical, edgy material in favor of childhood stories). I can see where people are coming from when they alienate him and his work because of this scandal, but I for one am still enjoying his comedy albums. If Cosby really did these things, then there is no denying that he's a turd. But his contributions to comedy shouldn't suffer for it.

Okay, I'm really arguing in circles by now, and neither side will convince the other, so I'm bowing out of this thread for the time being.

Blog Entries

yes
    they
    should
    suffer
    because
    he's
    a
    rapist

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am officially convinced half the people in this thread have read nothing about this scandal
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamtasm View Post

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Yes, you've already clarified that you want "pkkako" to be fucked. Perhaps you could debate him in regards to what he is saying rather than restate a meaningless insult.
    is it really any surprise Ned (and a lot of other members) have given up on any kind of debate at this point? there is more than enough debate already in this thread to justify his and our points, whether it be from him, gobblin, spruce, whoever. but as per usual, nothing gets through. we get stupid, ill-informed points about technicalities regarding "innocent until proven guilty" or whatever that completely lacks a human perspective. i'm sorry, but that's all i've really seen in this thread (fyi i've only properly read the first 5 pages, 50 posts per page). people make good points about how he's probably a rapist and how rape culture makes life incredibly difficult for the victims, and instead of any real empathy we get in return "OH BUT LET'S NOT FORGET HE DID SOME GOOD STUFF AS WELL. I MEAN YEAH HE'S PROBABLY STILL A RAPIST BUT IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER HE DID SOME GOOD STUFF". just... to me that is mind-boggling. and kind of annoying.

this isn't just a thread-specific issue either. every time we have a thread about something like this it descends into the same shit. same boarders making the same ill-informed posts all the time. nothing changes. maybe a couple of boarders "jump ship", to put it crudely, but it happens very rarely. and by that time that happens we've already got like 5 new awful members. can you blame some of us for being exasperated.

sorry, this is really ranty, incoherent and maybe a little over the top. and probably a little unfair, because despite all the bad opinions in this thread, i don't think this thread has been completely awful, discussion-wise. but this board just pisses me off sometimes

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Okay, I'm really arguing in circles by now, and neither side will convince the other, so I'm bowing out of this thread for the time being.
    Ditto that.

Blog Entries

It's all a matter of personal preference and, like you pointed out, that can't really be changed. Personally, for me to fully enjoy art or comedy or whatever, I have to connect with the performer or artist and relate to them. That's what comedy mainly consists of, relating to the comedian and understanding why their bit is funny. I find that really hard to do when the idea that Cosby raped a bunch of women is in the back of my head as he's trying to make me laugh. And to say that this can't impact The Cosby Show is fucking ludicrous. It was a show based around family values and morals and doing the right thing. That message has most certainly been sullied by these accusations. Honestly, (and I'm gonna be really, really blunt here which is unlike me) I find your argument incredibly stupid and naive and I refuse to even consider the plausibility that you may even be a little right in saying that his past work shouldn't be negated with these vile accusations. That mindset just may be because of how I view and connect with comedy, music, art, etc. I just don't see how people can honestly look past a rapist and try and find the merit they've given to the world when they've undoubtedly ruined the world of whomever they abused. I think it's only fair that his work is nullified because Cosby sure didn't have any problem with nullifying his victim's sense of innocence and safety and well-being.

Blog Entries

NEWS UPDATE!
    Someone that used to work at NBC has come forth to tell about how he would guard the door for Cosby while he invited teenage girls into his dressing room and also helped him delivered thousands of dollars to eight different women for keeping quiet.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2020464
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

But he had a family sitcom!

Can't we focus on what a great guy this rapist is, instead?

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i really just hate everybody in this thread right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

not me though right?

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Xaiv

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Turkey No. 2 View Post
    posted in this thread

The death of satire OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Turkey No. 2 View Post
    LITERALLY??
    Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther;bt41182
    Can’t imagine having quotes turned off. I think I get a rush of dopamine whenever I get a notification.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

But Cosby is such a nice guy

Blog Entries

art consists of both intention vs. result. if you can compartmentalize something like the cosby show or his act as something that's contained to what good it has to offer, then that's fine. that's how you approach art and you're entitled to that. however, if other people can't wrap their mind around the art because of the person behind it, then that's perfectly fine as well so move the fuck on. stop making it the issue of this thread because that's what's really infuriating.

I've pretty much explained my whole view by now (re: box elder: people have been saying that him being a rapist discredits all his work and makes it impossible for them to enjoy his work), so any further arguments would be redundant.
    and again, if someone can't enjoy his work after finding out he's a rapist that is a PERFECTLY REASONABLE OPINION. if you're arguing that it's "unfair" that people judge his work based on him being a fucking serial rapist then fuck off. what do you even mean by "discredits"? you've used the word respect multiple times in this thread. let's be clear: nobody should respect this fucking monster whether they think he's funny or not

Blog Entries

Pretty sure I've refuted all of these points already in here, but here they are again:

It's completely understandable if people can't enjoy his work anymore. I've never said that it's unfair for people to identify him and his work solely as a rapist, only that I personally don't identify those as such. This scandal "discredits" Cosby's work in the sense that so many will no longer be able to see his work the same way, and again, that's totally fine, even if I don't agree with that view. I've only used "respect" In this thread to say that I continue to acknowledge Cosby's contributions to society; if these allegations are indeed true, then I too have zero respect for him as a person.

Now please stop making me bring up the same points over and over again in this thread; I find it just as infuriating and repetitive as most of you.

Cosby accused as rapist, accusations likely true, opinions on his entertainment change, redundant debate between members, people peeking into the thread out of curiosity, Cosby's still a rapist, but oh he's such a nice guy.

/thread

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

Is it that difficult to separate the artist from the art?
    It is when this is his art

Pretty sure I've refuted all of these points already in here, but here they are again:

It's completely understandable if people can't enjoy his work anymore. I've never said that it's unfair for people to identify him and his work solely as a rapist, only that I personally don't identify those as such. This scandal "discredits" Cosby's work in the sense that so many will no longer be able to see his work the same way, and again, that's totally fine, even if I don't agree with that view. I've only used "respect" In this thread to say that I continue to acknowledge Cosby's contributions to society; if these allegations are indeed true, then I too have zero respect for him as a person.

Now please stop making me bring up the same points over and over again in this thread; I find it just as infuriating and repetitive as most of you.
    ok but nobody ever said you weren't allowed to still enjoy his work, soooo what's your point?

Blog Entries

I've been supporting the acknowledgement of his other work, but this isn't going anywhere further, soooo I'm done here.

Thread Information