Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Is it just me, or is this whole "Alex from Target" thing creepy as fuck?

In case you don't know, some girl took a picture of a random guy (probably about 15) working at Target who she thought was cute. She then posted it online and it has become viral with girls obsessing over him. We don't even know if the picture was consensual or not. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

need copy of pic to answer properly

direct floor engagement friendswithsalad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohmer View Post
    Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?
    https://twitter.com/search?f=realtim...reepy&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtim...reepy&src=typd

Blog Entries

Good Lorde, why is this a thing?
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

Alex seems to be liking the fame

and girls say guys are creepy

Teenagers with social media accounts and smartphones are powerful creatures indeed.

As far as the picture being, uh.. "consensual?" He supposedly didn't know the pic was taken until his manager or whatever showed him, didn't seem to otherwise care because he's just bagging some products like a good bag boy does, and looks like he is enjoying his minor viral fame. His girlfriend probably sick of the death threats, tho.

The only thing I see wrong here is the fact that teenagers make stupid shit go viral.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Classic double standards crap. If this was the other way round, the guy taking the picture would be labelled as a potential rapist and all the parents would be up in arms over how social media is harming today's youth. But because it was an "innocent" teenage girl crushing over someone she doesn't even know, it's apparently okay to take his picture and post it online without the guy's consent.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by LukeMM95 View Post
    Classic double standards crap. If this was the other way round, the guy taking the picture would be labelled as a potential rapist and all the parents would be up in arms over how social media is harming today's youth.
    Bingo. Double standards at work once again. Guys are creepy, girls are innocent.

Now, if the subject of the photo isn't bothered by it, girl or guy, then I don't really see a problem here. He was on the Ellen show, for crying out loud, I don't think he's crying about it. But that's only after the fact.

The subject of the photo being a guy does not in any way make it less "creepy" (in principle) than if it had been a photo of a girl.
    Get woke, go broke

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i wouldn't say it was inherently creepy.. the death threats to the girlfriend and stuff definitely is but he seems to be handling the fame well and i think teenage girls share this stuff fairly innocently on the whole. if a teenage boys pic of a teenage checkout girl went viral i would say that would be more creepy because men are gross and often have this gross state of entitlement when it comes to women. that's the creepy part.

idk that last bit was badly worded/expressed and a little over generalised, but that's the gist of my opinion. people who scream "DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!" at this sort of stuff always seem to forget about different history and social context of both sexes... you can't just flip the situation around, black and white. only in a theoretical world where men and women were exactly equal in social standing etc could you make the "DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!" argument have any real validity. unfortunately we don't live in that world yet.

-----
    EDIT: thought about this a bit more.. i can definitely see how some people see it as creepy, there's definitely that side to it, and it could easily have been very messy (if it had been me who had been in the photo, i would have fucking hated all that attention and not felt ok) but thankfully the guy seems okay about it. but yeah, this could have easily been way more creepy

basically i tone down what i said in the first paragraph but still very much stick to the second paragraph
    Last edited by c l o n e; 11-06-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by c l o n e View Post
    if a teenage boys pic of a teenage checkout girl went viral i would say that would be more creepy because men are gross and often have this gross state of entitlement when it comes to women.
    Why do you think this? Why can't a guy innocently share an image of a checkout girl? Because men are inherently gross?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArmCSA View Post
    Why do you think this? Why can't a guy innocently share an image of a checkout girl? Because men are inherently gross?
    Well they are...

But seriously, it's NOT the exact same thing. Come back to be when the number of girls doing this is anywhere NEAR the number of guys taking pics of strange girls, girls bending over, upskirts, etc. And when guys experience shit like street harassment and rape terror.

I am NOT saying this is OK... I'm just saying I get really frustrated by all the "classic double standards!" argument.

I'm more concerned about the girlfriend getting death threats
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮

Blog Entries

i always think people who post pictures of strangers on the internet (for whatever reason) are pricks

Blog Entries

Fucking camera phones. Pervs don't even need to spend any money to creep, at least before digital cameras they had to pay money for their awfulness. And it wasn't so easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    i always think people who post pictures of strangers on the internet (for whatever reason) are pricks
    I might just be cynical, but whenever I see casual pictures of attractive people (of any gender) online, I wonder whether the person even knows that pic is on the internet.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAGobblin View Post
    Well they are...
    sorry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsAGobblin View Post
    I might just be cynical, but whenever I see casual pictures of attractive people (of any gender) online, I wonder whether the person even knows that pic is on the internet.
    you always get people post pictures of strangers on the tube on twitter or whatever and it can be for a variety of reasons (attractive, unusual hat, they're doing something that makes them a bit of a dickhead etc) but i think it just makes me think of whoever posts the picture "well, you're kind of a prick, huh?"

Fuck creep shots, who cares if its a woman or man who takes them, they should allways be frowned on.
    Zach

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

discussion is reminding me of that facebook group "women who eat on the tube" which really was just shitty and sexist and an invasion of privacy (link to article about it)

BrokenBox

Who goes to target????

fuck you d'ohmer

girls can take as make photos of guys they want, you misogynistic sexist pig

p.s. alex is hawt
    Whatever you feel like, you'll feel like something's gone.

Am I stupid for finding it wrong that people often (subconsciously or otherwise) consider a person's gender before deciding how objectionable an act they've committed is?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpson J. Cat View Post
    Am I stupid for finding it wrong that people often (subconsciously or otherwise) consider a person's gender before deciding how objectionable an act they've committed is?
    Not stupid, just ignorant and naive. (That's not an insult, btw.) Gender politics and social dynamics are absolutely a factor.

Blog Entries

It is pretty creepy if you think about it. Luckily the guy in the picture enjoys the fame and isn't creeped out by it, but it's still weird none the less.

The meme is among one of the dumber memes too. It's not even clever or has any merit. I think the only reason it's a meme is because of the irony of it just being a normal picture of a guy at work.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

plz ban everyone who liked LukeMM95's post. There I just fixed the board

Blog Entries

Guys there's whole blogs dedicated to guys and girls taking pictures of random attractive people on the bus and random public places. This isn't a new thing. It's been happening for a while. Not saying it's any less creepy, but still.

Blog Entries

I know he's enjoying his fame, but there was no way to have known how he would have reacted to all of this when the girl took his picture and posted it online. To be fair, there was also no way for her to have known how much this would spread. Even if he didn't end up becoming famous, it would still be somewhat creepy though.

Quote Originally Posted by the wonders of the computer age View Post
    Who goes to target????
    Archer Farms French Vanilla Almond Crunch Granola, bruh

The funny thing is that the girl who got it to trend wasn't even the one who took the photo. She simply retweeted it. And then she was harassed because she wasn't the one who took the photo, which she admitted, and yet she still got hate because...well, who knows why dumbass teens do what they do? If anything, the picture being taken without consent is the least creepy thing about the whole matter to me...it's everyone else.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tromboon

Good Morning, Captain NoDeerForAMonth's Avatar

I'm surprised, because he is good looking but not super attractive.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Thread Information