View Poll Results: How would you rate this CROSSOVER SPECTACULAR?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 The Jean era A Star is Burns!

28 24.14%
  • 4/5 More crossovers! More I say!

38 32.76%
  • 3/5 The comic crossover was superior!

20 17.24%
  • 2/5 Uhh... maybe Simpsorama will be better

19 16.38%
  • 1/5 Another cheap cartoon crossover

11 9.48%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Simpsons Guy"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buntain Simpson View Post
    - lenny said something in the courtroom, i thought shearer played no part
    pretty sure that was an imitator. he just mumbles "eh".
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    pretty sure that was an imitator. he just mumbles "eh".
    ah got it, i couldn't remember what he said, i just remember him saying something. does shearer hold no legal copyright over his voice and his characters
    how do you put gifs in sigs

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

- did anyone see the illuminati sign under the springfield sign??? dont get the joke
    Probably just a random joke about subliminal messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Buntain Simpson
    - lenny said something in the courtroom, i thought shearer played no part
    Dan Castalenata voiced him.

Quote Originally Posted by Buntain Simpson
    - do the people who made the cynical assumption it would be terrible before it aired feel stupid
    People on here are usually ridiculousy over-cynical. Not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ofhf View Post
    Probably just a random joke about subliminal messages.
    makes sense

Blog Entries

Overall a well executed crossover. Very Funny, almost makes up for Clown in the Dumps! The only major fault was the overly long fight scene, but I can't say I wasn't expecting it. For something that we were all dreading, I think we were pleasantly surprised. 4/5
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

makes sense
    It might also be a nod to the many Illuminati/Free Masons jokes which were more common in the classic era

a soul for disguise

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Freemasons run the country!

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

loose thoughts:
    the bit before they get to Springfield is kind of incredibly tedious
    why does Apu sound weird? (does he always sound weird in new episodes?)
    Lisa is written poorly. her lines seem really jarring and not how i've ever heard her talk before.
    enjoyed Brian and SLH early exchange
    Patty and Selma like smoking, did you know? (Was worried about lots of jokes like this i.e. just pointing out character traits)
    about 20 minutes in, i was honestly over the novelty. don't think it needed to be an hour.
    whoever said this was worst when it was being family guy is bang on. the awful jokes i hate from that are present here and frequently. examples: car wash, torture, peter getting cut up in the road, Meg cutting Lisa's name into her arm and the fight.
    "Quagmire who" made me laugh
    i thought "trust me we're not" was cute and i kinda liked "say hi to maude flanders"

overall, i didn't like the gimmick anyway, an hour was too long and it was really short on laughs. they didn't do anything with this episode to justify making it. kind of lame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ofhf View Post
    People on here are usually ridiculousy over-cynical. Not this time.
    except you are being overly cynical, probably just because it involves family guy. look, it was a fun episode that was better written than almost anything the normal writers have been able to do for the past 10+ years

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a joke on how The Flintstones has stolen elements from The Honeymooners.
    I took it as being a reference that The Flintstones was the original prime time animated show.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Cr4zyN4z1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    loose thoughts:
    the bit before they get to Springfield is kind of incredibly tedious
    why does Apu sound weird? (does he always sound weird in new episodes?)
    Lisa is written poorly. her lines seem really jarring and not how i've ever heard her talk before.
    enjoyed Brian and SLH early exchange
    Patty and Selma like smoking, did you know? (Was worried about lots of jokes like this i.e. just pointing out character traits)
    about 20 minutes in, i was honestly over the novelty. don't think it needed to be an hour.
    whoever said this was worst when it was being family guy is bang on. the awful jokes i hate from that are present here and frequently. examples: car wash, torture, peter getting cut up in the road, Meg cutting Lisa's name into her arm and the fight.
    "Quagmire who" made me laugh
    i thought "trust me we're not" was cute and i kinda liked "say hi to maude flanders"

overall, i didn't like the gimmick anyway, an hour was too long and it was really short on laughs. they didn't do anything with this episode to justify making it. kind of lame.
    I'm surprised that's all you took issue with re: first act of the ep

Blog Entries

I'm surprised that's all you took issue with re: first act of the ep
    that is why it was incredibly tedious.

Blog Entries

man I was expecting more outrage about that

then again I'm surprised you watched at all

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, that was impressive. Now that the chicken fight had more jokes to it, it didn't feel so stupid. All of the jokes about the rivalry between the two shows and how The Simpsons sucks and how Family Guy rips off The Simpsons and so on were pretty funny even though they were very obvious. 40 minutes with many funny moments, I must say. Only a few minutes of crap, the car wash scene for instance. And some of the jokes were really bad, but that's what these both shows tend to do.

Nice. No matter how yellow your glasses are, this is a good crossover. If you forget the characterizations of Springfield residents and shrugh off a couple of gags, it's a great crossover.
    3.5/5, but because my expectations were exceeded it's a 4 for the poll.

Blog Entries

man I was expecting more outrage about that

then again I'm surprised you watched at all
    if i got angry about every stupid family guy joke, i would get seriously ill. i just roll my eyes as condescendingly as possible at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    if i got angry about every stupid family guy joke, i would get seriously ill. i just roll my eyes as condescendingly as possible at this point.
    would it induce vomit???

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

yes

Blog Entries

man i want to be there when you attempt the guinness record for 'most condescending eye rolls at a television show that makes bad jokes' after marathoning the FXX 'every. FG. ever.' marathon twelve years from now

Junior Camper

Not a bad episode, just mediocre. The plot felt forced as if they were trying to fit as many SImpsons gags in at once such as the canyon jump, the chicken fight etc. I got a couple of brief chuckles and that's it.

Blog Entries

I do like how this is already becoming polarizing in the poll

for the record, the worst joke in the ep was meg cutting her arm with Lisa's name imo. won't deny that was unnecessary

buuuuut I still had fun and liked the epic feel

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was awesome. I honestly have to give it 5/5 just for being a ton of fun. Plus the ending was actually kind of sweet, and I haven't thought that about a family guy episode in years.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

This was not "the best episode of The Simpsons in years", it was a Family Guy episode, and there are dozens of Simpsons episodes from the past ten years that I'd place above the crossover. Also, I did not think that the Springfield characters were expertly depicted nor did I think that it took the FG team to make the best modern Simpsons episode in years.

Having said all that, I did really enjoy the crossover for several other reasons:

• Aside from some half-assed motionless background characters and bland angles, the FG team did a good job with depicting the town. To echo an earlier comment, it had a bit of a Simpsons Movie vibe with just how big and real Springfield felt with several landmark locations and a feeling of movement - particularly during the Brain and Chris chase scene from town hall to the hospital to Krusty Burger.

• Seldom seen and long-lost characters made their return: Ms. Botz, Dr. Colossus, Dr. Nick, a poster of Troy McClure (!!!)

• Classic gags - prank call, Moleman (okay, Moleman gags are in the modern era too, but it's always nice to see more), Dr. Nick being Dr. Nick

• Loads of meta gags, particularly the funny bar scene which lead into the awesome courtroom scene - I swear, when FG premiered, all these comparisons were exactly what I complained about

• Spurts of quality animation - again, to echo a previous comment, the FG team knew they had some iconic characters to work with (potentially) only once, so they tried their hardest to deliver on quality. The Bart skateboard scene was great, and while it was cringy, the car wash scene was well animated...

• The fight at the end was half great, half awful - I loved the more grounded stuff, but I hated when they started killing bystanders and "killing" Homer with that horrific final bit that I am sure will be reposted by Simpsons detractors for years to come

I will say that this is one of my favorite Family Guy episodes, and I think it was a mostly solid representation of The Simpsons characters outside of the series, only hindered by Family Guy being Family Guy. I'd place this alongside Who Shot Mr. Burns and The Simpsons Movie as the big event moments in the series, and would gladly buy a standalone blu-ray of the special with bonus features.

4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    This was not "the best episode of The Simpsons in years", it was a Family Guy episode, and there are dozens of Simpsons episodes from the past ten years that I'd place above the crossover.
    "Years" doesn't necessarily equal 10 years. I'd say 5 years at most.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

I... uh... what the FUCK did I just watch? So much shit flying at us from every angle that I'm still not 100% sure whether the good outweighs the bad. I'm going to join the "better than average for both shows these days" camp, purely for the novelty aspect.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

I really disagree with everyone else, I felt like this episode was bad by either shows' standards. If you watched the preview clips and read the EW article, you already know most of what happens, and what they didn't preview isn't exactly stellar. I felt like the Simpsons characters were very stiff, one-dimensional, and ill characterized, and before someone cuts in all "OH, YOU MEAN LIKE HD SIMPSONS?? AHAHA I AM CLEVER", I AM indeed saying that the lazy voice acting, stiff poses, and paper thin plots make HD Simpsons look like the best of classic-era Simpsons. The only two scenes with any life injected into them were the (terrible) car wash scene and the (pretty decent) chicken fight scene.

I actually wanted to see what would happen with Lisa and Meg's plot, but a) it had under 2 minutes of screen time, and b) it was just another example of how awful Family Guy has become with the Meg abuse and disturbing jokes about Meg. Meg saying she beats up cats to make herself feel better and carving Lisa's name into her arm... just awful. Their "rivalry" lasted all of five seconds, which is about the same amount of time Marge and Lois's plot was given. This show has a serious problem with women and I get really tired of being told "It's just a joke!!!" or "It's Family Guy, what do you expect??" Well, like everyone upset about the decline of the Simpsons, I see nothing wrong with comparing Family Guy to and holding it to its pre-cancellation quality.

This leads me to another complaint I had while watching the episode. Seth MacFarlane and co. seem completely, utterly unwilling to recognize the drop in quality and viewership of modern Family Guy. So while we have anemic jabs at Family Guy, such as the courtroom scene, and a few weak nods towards the Simpson's glory days (the Emmys gag), there's nothing so forward as "I think I speak for us all when I say The Simpsons suck!"

The James Woods joke was such a bright spot and easily my favorite moment in the episode. I absolutely loved his guest appearance on The Simpsons, and I was wondering if they'd do a joke about him.

I also enjoyed seeing Roger with Kang and Kodos, even if it was a brief cameo.

"We're going to make it!" "Trust me, we're not." was about the only other joke I really enjoyed.

Blog Entries

I loved the jab they took at Brooklyn Nine Nine. I don't understand the love for that show.

a few things i noticed and want a discussion about

- did anyone see the illuminati sign under the springfield sign??? dont get the joke
    I think the sign is just modeled after the one on The Simpsons Movie website: http://www.nicknormal.com/normalblog...ie-website.jpg
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoony View Post
    I loved the jab they took at Brooklyn Nine Nine. I don't understand the love for that show.
    I don't think it was directed at B99, seeing as this was completed before the show was placed in the 8:30 slot. Hell more likely they were taking a jab at Bob's Burgers, which held the spot for the past two years.

anyways, ratings: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-falls/307745/

only about nine million viewers, but a crazy great demo. this is hilariously contrasted with the good wife, which apparently attracted about 11 million geezers

still it's the best rated FG premiere in four years... I kind of expected more but foosball and the fact that it's sunday easily gets in the way of that

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post

they're both takin notes
    Thanks.

I found the James Woods joke great and Brian casually talking to Santa's Little Helper was hilarious. There were a few great character cameos that I noticed, Ms. Botz, Hank Scorpio and Dr. Colossus at the car wash, a picture of Troy McClure at channel 6 and Maude Flanders getting a mention (which was also great when Peter mentioned Muriel Goldman to Homer's confusion).

Thread Information