Page 1 of 53 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Financial Panther's Futurama

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Financial Panther's Futurama Journey

@Financial Panther revealed in the Simpsons section that he has seen every episode of The Simpsons and has only seen (one?) episode of Futurama.

When/if you do start watching, we'd love to hear your thoughts and track your progress here.
    Last edited by Comicshow MolemanBob; 09-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope you get to see "Insane In The Mainframe", it's my favorite episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

I haven't even seen one episode of Futurama.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Blog Entries

@Financial Panther, just wait until you see Hell Is Other Robots. It's one of the earlier episodes, but it's a damn good one, and one of my personal favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wait, WHAT? Panther and Burns need to fix this ASAP.

There are many amazing episodes just ready to be watched.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Given what you know, you'd think Panther would fall in love with Futurama. Was That's Lobstertainment! the one episode he watched or something?
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Blog Entries

Futurama is the closest thing you'll get to the quality of classic Simpsons, its my second favorite show only behind The Simpsons themselves. I watched Futurama for the first time somewhere in 2009 or so.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity183 View Post
    Given what you know, you'd think Panther would fall in love with Futurama. Was That's Lobstertainment! the one episode he watched or something?
    I've seen two episodes, back-to-back. One was Proposition Infinity, but I don't remember the other one.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I've seen two episodes, back-to-back. One was Proposition Infinity, but I don't remember the other one.
    Well there's your problem...

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Prop Infinity was a rather mediocre episode that doesn't really represent how great the series is.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

I used to watch it a ton but it's honestly one of the most repetitive animated shows to me, it seemed like after 4 seasons or so, every episode would revolve around similar matters, though this was many years ago, so I assume my opinion will have changed if I ever revisited it.
    I still have fond memories of a ton of episodes but I barely remember anything compared to the amount of what I watched.
    To me, Bob's Burgers and South Park are both superior mainstream animated shows (presently).

Though, if we return to the topic at hand, I have no doubt Panther will enjoy Futurama though it is very different to The Simpsons and I'm not sure if he'll love it quite as much as some members here on the board.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

you're not missing anything.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you guys kidding me?? "Proposition Infinity" is great!

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

He should first watch "Maximum Homerdrive" for the true premiere night experience.
    UP AND ATOM!

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Yeah, might be best to start with the classic episodes rather than the "trendy modern issue" episodes that became popular in the newer seasons (is there any show that doesn't do this with their newer episodes?).
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll try my best to review the premiere after I watch it, and maybe a few episodes after that if I have time, but don't expect this to become a "review every episode" thread.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Are you guys kidding me?? "Proposition Infinity" is great!
    ...why am I agreeing with OSS here?

what the hell you guys
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I'll try my best to review the premiere after I watch it, and maybe a few episodes after that if I have time, but don't expect this to become a "review every episode" thread.
    Oh, I didn't expect it to be that. I just thought it would prompt you to watch the show and to post which episode you are on occasionally and add some insight into your favourite episode/characters, whatever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ...why am I agreeing with OSS here?

what the hell you guys
    I didn't say it was a bad episode, in fact I think it's pretty good. It's just a pretty bad episode to introduce someone to the show.

Blog Entries

Proposition Infinity sucks. Very paint-by-numbers satire, right there.

Hope you enjoy the series, @Financial Panther! I find the first season a little worse than the others (although not bad or anything) but it really peaks wells overall.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

One thing I love about season 1 is how out of the loop Fry is on everything year 3000. As the series continues, he obviously is more in the know, so you don't get as many "Fry doesn't get how the future works" gags in season 3 onwards.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Proposition Infinity sucks. Very paint-by-numbers satire, right there.
    I vaguely recall many arguments about this haha.

I still stand by the fact that it's a really funny episode of television.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Much of the humor on Futurama is pretty similar to Proposition Infinity - taking a real world social matter and substituting the details in order to match the futuristic setting. A good chunk of the episodes just focus on robot equivalents of human activities, i.e., "robosexuals," "Robot Hell," robot food (oil), etc. The use of comparison is sometimes intriguing, but since the overarching themes don't make many direct pokes at their real world source material, the series tends to be a lot more hit-or-miss than The Simpsons. It never declined as badly as The Simpsons did (post-revival seasons were marginally weaker than pre-revival seasons), but I personally don't think there are nearly as many fantastic episodes of Futurama as there are of 90's Simpsons.

Blog Entries

Watch out for Spanish Fry. The only pre-cancellation episode I can never enjoy no matter what the circumstances.

Well ok Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch is also pretty boring.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Watch out for Spanish Fry. The only pre-cancellation episode I can never enjoy no matter what the circumstances.

Well ok Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch is also pretty boring.
    I don't know, what those lack in story more than enough make up for it with some really great jokes. Everything from Bender, Zapp and The Professor in "Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch" is golden.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

Ghost and horse made me laugh way too hard to hate proposition infinity.

I always enjoy when Panther tries out new stuff. Looking forward to reading his first reports

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

Oh @Financial Panther, I feel the pain of people being horrified at you for not watching a Groening show (although my sin is much worse than yours.) If you're up for it, we could watch both shows in order and post reviews when we get the time every few episodes or so, just noting key thoughts, nothing major (and certainly not every episode.) Just a way to provide our thoughts to the board since people are horrified at both of us now for not having watched both Groening shows.

I also agree with OSS that Proposition Infinity is a good episode. Not a favorite, but certainly not bad. And Kif Gets Knocked Up A Notch is actually a favorite of mine, although I like any episode that focuses on Kif and Amy.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    I don't know, what those lack in story more than enough make up for it with some really great jokes. Everything from Bender, Zapp and The Professor in "Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch" is golden.
    I don't remember "Spanish Fry," but you're right about the second episode....the jokes were sheer gold. One of the funniest episodes IMO.

Thread Information