Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Popular/well liked classics that you don't care for

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Popular/well liked classics that you don't care for

I was wondering if anyone else had episodes that they don't care for out of the classic era but know are well conceived by others. I personally don't HATE an episode from the classic era but I'm sure there are some that you aren't in love with that others like. I've limited mine to seasons 2-8, but that's just me. My list:

Like Father, Like Clown - I've just never really liked this episode. It bores me for some reason.

Marge vs. The Monorail and Last Exit to Springfield - I actually think these are really good episodes, but I just don't see why everyone loves these two. Probably shouldn't be on this list but fuck it I wanted to say it anyway

You Only Move Twice - I find this on a lot of peoples top 10's. I always found it as an average episode.

Homer's Enemy - Another popular episode but for me just eh.

Season 8 as a whole - For some this is their favorite season. It has some good episodes but I never found it outstanding, just good.

Blog Entries

Rosebud: It's funny, but the conflict is incredibly forced and Homer's decision to keep the bear for Maggie is a major wall-banger.

Blog Entries

Rosebud is great, but I think it's the most overrated episode of the series. I don't hate it, but the fact that so many consider it a top 10...it just boggles the mind.

Deep Space Homer is hilarious, but the plot is too unbelievable and ungrounded for me to like it a lot.

The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase is the worst episode of the classic era. I've wasted enough of my life trying to explain my opinion, so let's just leave it at this: I don't like bad writing, regardless of whether it's done on purpose or not.

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like Father, Like Clown is actually usually considered one of the weakest of season 3.

Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment: I don't care for Lisa in this. She kind of has a holier-than-thou attitude toward everyone else, and her religious fears conflict with her personality in most other episodes.
    Separate Vocations: The ending sours it, but it's funny enough to not be completely awful.
    Last Exit to Springfield: A lot of the references go over my head, so I might find this one better if I knew and understood more of them.
    Rosebud: Apparently you're supposed to root for Maggie, but I think Burns deserves the bear, and since he's crafted as the villain, I don't agree with the episode as a whole.
    $pringfield: I find Marge pretty unlikable in this.
    Lisa on Ice: The writers break the rules of hockey in order to insert a sappy ending.
    And Maggie Makes Three: Speaking of sappy, this episode is good for the most part, but the bulletin board at the end is one of the sappiest, most contrived things the show has done, but everyone here eats it up.
    Home Sweet Homediddily-Dum-Doodily: Nothing really stands out in this episode. It's fine, but not even close to one of the best.
    Lisa the Iconoclast: The biggest bucket of shit the show has ever created. Not funny, and an awful, awful ending.
    22 Short Films About Springfield: The Skinner segment is great, but the other stuff is just average.
    Summer of 4 ft. 2: Another episode where I'm not really sure whom to root for. Lisa and Bart both have reasons to be angry, but the episode takes a staunch pro-Lisa stance.
    Homer's Phobia: I don't like Homer's homophobic attitude in this. It makes him far too unlikable.
    The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase: Not very funny, and the last segment is especially poor.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

I don't find the ending of Lisa on Ice sappy at all. Lisa and Bart realize that their relationship means more than a hockey game, and finishing the game would only divide them further, so they break the rules if hockey as opposed to breaking their relationship.

The ending of And Maggie Makes Three is seriously great. It ties together the entire plot and really shows how much Homer loves Maggie. Clever wordplay, too.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy: To me it's one of the worst episodes of the classic-era. It's not terrible or anything, but some of the jokes fell flat and I didn't really think the satire was that good.
    Bart the Daredevil: Homer failing at jumping the Springfield Gorge is hilarious, but the rest of the episode isn't as funny as that scene. One classic moment doesn't make a great Simpsons episode in my opinion.
    Blood Feud: It's OK, but it's far from being the best season 2 episode and I wasn't a fan of the ending like most people were.
    Separate Vocations: Bart's plot was good, but Lisa's plot wasn't very interesting.
    Brother from the Same Planet: It had some funny moments, but I didn't care for Lisa's subplot at all.
    Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment: I might like it more if I watch it again, but it's far from being one of the best episodes.
    Cape Feare: It's pretty good, but it's NOT the best Sideshow Bob episode.
    Wild Barts Can't Be Broken: Most people consider this to be one of the best episodes of season 10, but I think it's the worst of that season. I thought some of the jokes were too childish for The Simpsons and there were only a few jokes that were funny. The song wasn't bad though.
    Mayored to the Mob: It's decent, but it's not the best of season 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Summer of 4 ft. 2: Another episode where I'm not really sure whom to root for. Lisa and Bart both have reasons to be angry, but the episode takes a staunch pro-Lisa stance.
    Summer of 4 ft. 2 is one of my all time favorites. I don't find Bart to have a GOOD reason to be angry so the pro-Lisa stance makes the most sense. That's my opinion though, and I respect yours.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

I find some of these well-liked classics overrated, like "Last Exit to Springfield". It's good, but for it to be consistently ranked as the "best episode ever" is a bit much.

As for not caring for any, well, I've always been bothered by "Bart Gets Hit by a Car". Marge does the right thing and Homer's response is "I don't know if I love you anymore". Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by superpower View Post
    Summer of 4 ft. 2 is one of my all time favorites. I don't find Bart to have a GOOD reason to be angry so the pro-Lisa stance makes the most sense. That's my opinion though, and I respect yours.
    Yeah, Bart is angry because he's jealous. It's not a very good reason.
    Get woke, go broke

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: superpower

Blog Entries

No, Bart's angry because Lisa's imitating him in order to be popular. Wouldn't you be mad if somebody suddenly started acting like you in order to gain friends?

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

No, Bart's angry because Lisa's imitating him in order to be popular. Wouldn't you be mad if somebody suddenly started acting like you in order to gain friends?
    Lisa isn't intimidating him. The only thing Lisa did that could have gotten Bart mad was say a couple of his catchphrases at the campfire and she tried to skateboard but that's a stretch. Other than that, Lisa was just trying to be cool in general to make friends. Just because Lisa is trying to be cool doesn't necessarily mean she's trying to be like Bart.

If it worked, I'd be flattered that my methods attracted friends

But I never saw it that way; her saying his catchphrases was a joke and her skateboarding was pitiful, I don't think they were impressed by that.

Lisa's Substitute - I've always found this one pointlessly soppy. And the substitute teacher is simply annoying.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don´t dislike any of these episodes expect for Trash but i do find them overrated.

Bart The Daredevil: Fun but nothing special by classic standars. Even the goerge scene is pretty overrated.
    Kamp Krusty: I have seen it on a lot of best lists but i think it´s one of the weaker of season 4.
    Duffless: I have grown on it but still don´t think it´s one of the best episodes ever.
    Homer Goes To College: The plot is pretty badly handled and the humor while good is nothing special by classic standars. One of the weaker of season 5.
    Homer The Smithers: Very funny but far from the best season 7 has to offer.
    Lisa The Skeptic: Have seen a lot of love for this episode recently. Decent satire but it´s pretty dull by classic standars and i don´t care very much for Lisa´s characterization in this episode like when she basically tells the town people they are idiots for believing the skeleton is a angel.
    Trash Of The Titans: Homer´s worst characterization up to this point and it´s pretty boring and not just by classic standars.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Can't believe I forgot this one.

A Star is Burns: That scene with Ranier Wolfcastle is hilarious, but the rest of the jokes are not as funny as that one scene. It's a decent episode, but there are much better season 6 episodes than this one.

Blog Entries

@Financial Panther I agree with a lot of your picks. In Summer of 4ft 2", it especially pissed me off when Lisa introduced Bart as "Bartholomew" just to paint him in a bad light.

Blog Entries

i kinda want to go off on anyone that listed classic episodes, so i'll just leave it at this...

if you made a list you suck

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I just don't get the love for "Mr. Plow". It's no better than the average season 4 episode and it may in fact be one of my least favourite episodes from that season. It's got some strong jokes, obviously, but I've never been big on the story or the resolution to the plot. Definitely one of the most overrated episodes.

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    It's no better than the average season 4 episode
    what bizarre phrasing

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: JimJam707, Sam

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by parklife View Post
    what bizarre phrasing
    Season 4 has never been one of my favourite season and an average episode from it, something like "I Love Lisa" or "The Front", is pretty much equal with "Mr Plow" in my opinion. Again it's not bad, but I just don't like it much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    i kinda want to go off on anyone that listed classic episodes
    Bring it on, buddy boy.

Every classic episode has something good in them that I care or like, so none of them.
    Many episodes after the classic seasons is another story...

Blog Entries

@Financial Panther

instead i'll argue/refute your statements

Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment: great episode
    Separate Vocations: awesome episode, including the ending
    Last Exit to Springfield: no idea what you're talking about in terms of 'references'
    Rosebud: burns is an incredibly evil selfish man that everyone in springfield, and as an extension, the viewer, should hate. he gave up bobo when he decided to become rich and that was his fault
    $pringfield: this is one of the weaker classics but your reasoning for disliking it is strange
    Lisa on Ice: don't get your hate for this one at all
    And Maggie Makes Three: it's not even a little contrived
    Home Sweet Homediddily-Dum-Doodily: i will agree that this is not one of the best episodes of the series but it is pretty great nonetheless
    Lisa the Iconoclast: you're weird. there's no reason to hate on the whole episode simply because you hate the ending, which is also great
    22 Short Films About Springfield: sort of agree i guess but i hardly 'don't care for' it
    Summer of 4 ft. 2: the reasoning you listed here simply makes no sense as to why you don't care for it
    Homer's Phobia: tons of people hold disrespect of gay people simply because they're different. it's not always their fault and homer is seen as a jerk for simply not wanting to be jon's friend because he is gay. he learns his lesson sorta at the end so i think it's fine
    The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase:
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
    you're weird
    great experimental episode

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife, Ryan

Blog Entries

I don't understand the love for Brick Like Me. It is not a Modern Day classic. It has no redeeming qualities. Stupid plot,The Dream twist was dumb (It could have just been a non-canon episode),Not funny,and basically a 22 minute toyverisement.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy, Sam

Blog Entries

Life On The Fast Lane - It isn't that great or funny, just shows a lot of tension in Homer and Marge's marriage, but kinda got ruined with Marge going for Homer with no reason
    Bart The Daredevil - Outside of the gorge scene (which by itself is pretty overrated) its a pretty weak episode
    Krusty Gets Kancelled - I'm not sure if this is popular or well liked here, but I never cared for this episode and always found it boring.
    Homer's Barbershop Quartet - Pretty weak classic episode imo, maybe I would've liked it more if I knew anything from The Beatles.
    A Star is Burns - The small clips that the Springfielders made are hilarious, but for the rest its just asskissing the main character from another show.
    Homer's Phobia - I really tried to like this episode but I just can't, Homer's character wasn't likeable for a second.

This list is assuming that the classics are season 1-8. If 9 was a classic aswell I'd have to double the list
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Blog Entries

most of the "modern"/Jean era classics are a product of hype and though they can be considered the height of their respective seasons at times (not shit like Roofer or Way We Weren't tho), they're still only in the low C range at best, and that's not fitting of the term "classic", just because it stands above the shit pile.

Mountain of Madness is the only actual classic era one I can think of. one of the few "classics" that just doesn't grip me in any way. feels like a Scully ep without a consistent stream of good gags. the actual stories are kinda snooze-fests, there are laughs to be had but they're spread out. the other classics I rank somewhat lower mostly fall in line with popular opinion I think. pretty sure nobody is putting Secrets of a Successful Marriage or War of the Simpsons on a pedestal.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Secrets of a Succesful Marriage used to be considered one of season 5's best. Obviously not anymore.

Anyway, I don't care for You Only Move Twice.

36. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mutilated_lips View Post
    most of the "modern"/Jean era classics are a product of hype and though they can be considered the height of their respective seasons at times (not shit like Roofer or Way We Weren't tho), they're still only in the low C range at best, and that's not fitting of the term "classic", just because it stands above the shit pile.
    woah I don't care for roofer but I am quite fond of the way we weren't

handsome is gonna yell at me but I don't care for "dog of death". I always felt way too sorry for SLH and it makes me a bit uncomfortable
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

never been a fan of marriage crisis episodes, old or new, so they always fall to the bottom of my list.

another I guess I could add is Inner Child, but again, can't really recall if that one is well-regarded? s5 has a few episodes that I would classify as "not outstanding". also Lisa's Sax is horribly boring, no idea why that's sometimes regarded as a late entry classic. first sign of the innocuous white-noise producing Jean i'd say.

the other way around, I must say I love Bart Gets an Elephant, it's just really really funny and I can't understand why it gets looked down upon just because it has a silly/flimsy premise. I tend to pick on s5 for thin premises, but when the comedy can back it up I've no complaints.

Blog Entries

wasn't lisa's sax technically both jean and reiss? in fact, it's the last episode with reiss. that automatically makes it better.

Blog Entries

yeah I thought about that, but Jean's involvement is enough for me to assume that's why it's so damned boring. Tide is kinda dull too actually, despite having the upper-hand of actually being kinda funny.

Jean's Scully era involvement is such a bad omen in general but uh, that's not what this threads about so movin' on.

Thread Information