Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Seeing Conan's reaction as he found out while taping his show reminded me of when the same thing happened with Chris Farley. He sings "I'm a clown, but I cry" which is apt here too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

sucks because i really enjoyed his work

Banned
    Blog Entries

Genie, you're free.

Blog Entries

I just read in India Today that he had money worries and was virtually bankrupt.
    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/n.../1/376847.html
    ILB

Blog Entries

That's weird because I showed my friend the louie episode with robin williams in it right before my friend went to India. The day he came back was the day RW passed away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post

Genie, you're free.
    so this is the first of many times I'll be seeing this one again today. yesterday I think it was give or take a hundred times
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

btw here's conan's proper tribute to robin, it's quite good: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...ycle/13982411/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Train on the Water View Post
    Adult Swim in the U.S. arrived to the point in the series where it was was set to air that episode right now, but they substituted some season 1 episode. The listings said Family Guy Viewer Mail #2 and I thought, wow, Adult Swim rocks for deliberately airing that episode as a tribute while BBC is pulling it right now. But nope, the listings were just out of date. I don't really remember the episode being that hard on Williams, but I guess the fact that Peter attempts suicide would just parallel Williams's life right now for too many viewers.
    BBC Three had the episode scheduled to air on the date Williams died as of two weeks ago apparently. I'm not sure what episode it will be substituted with though I have a feeling most networks will avoid airing any FG episodes that contain Robin Williams jokes because the show kinda ripped on him for not being funny a lot.

As for the "Family Guy Viewer Mail #2" episode. I don't think it was that hard on Robin either, because Peter's the focal point of the story and he's shown to really like the guy. It's just that things get to be very overbearing for him when he's surrounded by nothing but Robin Williams clones. There's a few bits that probably wouldn't fly so well in light of his death though. Like Stewie's impression of him where he says "Ho-ho! Scattered stream of references! Lots of energy! One good one for every ten! Ho-ho!" or the roast segment at the beginning where Jeff Ross tells Robin that as a moviegoer he wants to punch him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post

Genie, you're free.
    Christ, this one got old fast. Even though the use of it was mean spirited, I think Genie's "I can't bring people back from the dead" line is gonna become the standard response to this due to how overused it was.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Blizzard is already planning to make a memorial for Robin Williams in WoW. Never even knew he was addicted to that game
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    Blizzard is already planning to make a memorial for Robin Williams in WoW. Never even knew he was addicted to that game
    Shocked he never did a commercial for the game back when they were running all those WoW celebrity endorsement commercials. Not sure how many they did but I can clearly remember them doing stuff with Mr. T and Ozzy Osbourne.

Blog Entries

So, not surprisingly, because it's the internet, but Zelda Williams ended up suspending her Twitter account because of trolls. Supposedly, she wasn't uploading enough pictures and stuff after her fathers death.

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

Well, I just got emailed this petition to Nintendo to name an NPC after him in the next Zelda game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    so this is the first of many times I'll be seeing this one again today. yesterday I think it was give or take a hundred times
    Supposedly that pic of Genie and Aladdin is controversial now because it implies that suicide is an "option" for anyone. At least, that's what people were saying about it yesterday. No idea if that blew up today at all.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Saw this on Imgur. It's from 2011.

Someone sure was out to make people sad that day, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Supposedly that pic of Genie and Aladdin is controversial now because it implies that suicide is an "option" for anyone. At least, that's what people were saying about it yesterday. No idea if that blew up today at all.
    Yeah, there's a whole thing about it here. Funny how quickly these things get turned on their head sometimes, isn't it?

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    This is TERRIFYING!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Yeah, there's a whole thing about it here. Funny how quickly these things get turned on their head sometimes, isn't it?
    It probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't say the "you're free" quote like it's a good thing vs. "goodbye," which is what every single person posting that actually means. I understand it, but all the same, once it becomes an issue of triggers and all that, I duck out. My uncle was suffering and now he is free of pain, so to speak (tho he did not kill himself). Robin was suffering, and now he is not. Right now, sad death is all the same to me, and no one should be told how to grieve, so that whole controversy is bound to drive me up the wall for personal reasons if I keep seeing it pop up.

Blog Entries

I agreed that it is just a matter of poor wording for the most part. I noticed several of the comments on that piece noting how within the context of the film it is just Aladdin's way of saying goodbye to the Genie, which is pretty much how most people are using it without taking into consideration the implication of the quote due to the circumstances surrounding Robin's death. Hell, most people aren't even thinking it that far through. They're just doing a copy/paste of something they've seen other people posting in an attempt to be involved. While it is unfortunate that it has the implication of suicide being a, dare I say, beautiful or at least bittersweet way to set oneself "Free" as it were of whatever burdens you are dealt in life, I doubt this will last very long in terms of outrage and the use of the image itself will phase out soon enough as other forms of tribute overshadow it.

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

Another cult favorite that he has a kind of small role in was shakes the clown
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

After learning that a very funny, talented man would have such depression and choose to end his life when he should have had everything, it made me realize so much more. Never will I say I could be anywhere close to funny as him, but I know that there are people who actually care and like me for who I am, and what I do. Not just online, but in real life. Every now and then, it's obvious I get moody and depressed for almost no reason, except the fact that I almost have a craving to misery. Just when Robin Williams died and the details came out, it made me realize that I should seriously never give into an easy way out when I'm unhappy with myself. I will always have bits of depression from time-to-time, but I will always have at least one friend out there. Keeping that mentality will keep me going for years. Thank you Robin, for opening my eyes during one of the saddest events. And thank you for making me laugh, cry, and enjoy life so much more. Rest in peace.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

i usually don't care much about celebrity deaths, but this one bummed me out

I haven't felt this much despair since Phil died. RIP

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Today I took a third watching of World's Greatest Dad, a movie I profoundly hated both times I watched it. And sometimes, it is true what they say. The third time is a charm. Indeed, this was no exception. I finally got this movie. You are not supposed to take it seriously; you just let it go its own path and manage to enjoy the dark humor and some of the deep messages that are written into the film. Robin Williams delivered quite an underrated performance in this movie, even if almost everybody is a horrible character. You're not supposed to like them. The movie is almost confusing, but sometimes it takes another watch, or for my case, the death of a beloved actor, to understand it. 4/5

Rest in peace, Robin Williams.

Blog Entries

I watch Worlds Greatest Dad on Netflix a few days ago and I thought it was good

there is not a single problem with apu snowflakes

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Groupie View Post
    If a dude tried to cum on my face I would remove his testicles.

I don't mean to kick up old things, but I just wanted to reiterate, before the year ended, how devastating the man's death was. 2014 was going to be the year we lost Hoffman, but damn it all if something terribly shocking and depressing like this didn't happen. The positive is that it's brought a good deal of great movies and television and standup back into the national consciousness but the cost definitely outweighs the gains. I hate that one of my favorite celebrities has become prey for speculative "news". I hate that we knew so little of his struggles, and even further that we somehow knew the whole time. I hate that the fact that this funny man has slipped into the unreachable abyss of death. It's not just "he died before his time", it's the nagging feeling that even though he's gone it still feels like he's here. It still feels like there's something we can do. But there isn't. It's like having an itch that you can't scratch, it's the oddest feeling.

Let us never stop paying tribute in ways large or small to the friend whom we never knew. My only regret is that we'll never know why he did it and that we could never do for him what he did for us (And yes, he got a paycheck. Magic doesn't come cheap for any of us). And yes, a lot of this sounds ingenuine, because before, I never contemplated the scenario that we might lose the warm-hearted comic and now that we have...
    http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16014&dateline=1394082927

Blog Entries

this is still so so tragic and i had to hold back tears just re-reading this thread. i'm even more sad now because on the day it happened it barely registered for me. i just couldn't even handle that he was actually gone

Thread Information