Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Overall the season was terrible, but there were a few good episodes at least.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The worst episode of Season 23 (as well as the entire series) is easily Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson. And there couldn't be very much the writers could do to make an episode worse than that, aside from maybe having Bart befriend and give a handjob to a rich, old man who changes his will to leave his money to Bart, causing Homer to ask Bart to marry him, Bart saying yes, and Homer making a reference to how attractive some other kid is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioning Eddie View Post
    Every episode in that season should have never seen the light of day.
    The Falcon and the D'ohman, though...so good, yet so overlooked.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    The Falcon and the D'ohman, though...so good, yet so overlooked.
    That one's pretty good, but "The Book Job", "Holidays of Future Passed" and "Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts" are undoubtedly better and save the season from being the worst ever.

Blog Entries

Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts bores me. Bart seems out of character, and Chalmers isn't a good enough character to have such a prominent role in an episode.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts bores me. Bart seems out of character, and Chalmers isn't a good enough character to have such a prominent role in an episode.
    I hate "Bart Stops To Smell The Roosevelts". I used to consider it the worst episode ever, but now I just consider it one of the worst of its season.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post

I hate "Bart Stops To Smell The Roosevelts". I used to consider it the worst episode ever, but now I just consider it one of the worst of its season.
    I suppose it may be considered boring, but I don't see what's so awful about it that it would ever be considered the worst episode ever.

Blog Entries

Off the top of my head, The Book Job, How I Wet Your Mother, Holidays of Future Passed, and A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again are among the best of the HD era. On the other hand, there's Tim Long's two trainwrecks that we call "episodes," Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson, and the worst Treehouse of Horror ever. 23 is a mixed bag and probably the most inconsistent season ever.

The Book Job is one of the best uses of a guest star ever in the Simpsons, IMO. Neil Gaiman has perfect delivery. You'd think he was an actual VA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Off the top of my head, The Book Job, How I Wet Your Mother, Holidays of Future Passed, and A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again are among the best of the HD era. On the other hand, there's Tim Long's two trainwrecks that we call "episodes," Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson, and the worst Treehouse of Horror ever. 23 is a mixed bag and probably the most inconsistent season ever.
    It was actually written by Carolyn Omine.

Blog Entries

And Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson was written by John Frink. I was only referring to Lisa Goes Gaga and Moe Goes from Rags to Riches in the Tim Long statement.

Blog Entries

Homer and Abraham bonding is always interesting, isn't it? Well, let's see.

In The Name Of The Grandfather 5/10

-/+ Didn't like the idea of the whole family as dogs, but Homer and Bart fighting was amusing.
    + "You told me something, but I wasn't listening!"
    ? Homer leads an "orchestra" where the kids say they are bored. Uuuhm... what?
    + "Hahaha, classic hose play." Well, thanks so much for overexplaining, Bart.
    + "I promise I'll be less stressed... And I'm really freakin' stressed!!" It was a stupid joke, but made me smile nonetheless.
    # Disco Stu arrives to swing. Bart is in the hot tub. Could this be another sign of him being attracted to Bart?! (Watch "Little Big Mom" and you'll know what I mean)
    + Flanders goes all "diddly" after visiting the hot tub.
    + THE HOT TUB HAS THE FAMILY IN ITS FUCKING GRIP.
    - It turns out what was "urgent" for them to do was to help Abraham out on "Senior Picnic Day". Well, that was sad.
    + We get to see one of Hans Moleman's relatives.
    + Without the water, they all waddle like fish.
    - Another case of being a too prolonged gag.
    + "Oh, dad! I never knew you had dreams... or emotions."
    + Did they just get away with saying "negro"?
    + Funny meta joke with the Simpsons logo briefly appearing when they take the plane.
    + Abraham's flashback was in the so-dumb-it's-funny category.
    - What was with the zooming in on Bart's Tintin album?
    - What's German Krusty doing in Ireland? Pretty failed joke.
    ? "That's not how family vacation works! We do something else while your father is having fun without us." She could sound less like a killjoy.
    + Abraham gets his Irish drink.
    + Nice game reference when Marge, Lisa and Bart are hopping on stones.
    + "I'm not going to tell ye. If I did, it wouldn't be a secret." True, true. But lame as fuck.
    - Marge rambling was irritating to listen at.
    ++ Nice prank, Bart. Until someone carves into your ass!
    + "I just had a nightmare... That I was back with your mother!" That was dark, since Homer's mother is dead.
    # Now Homer and Abraham has bought the pub while drunk. What next, what next... Sigh, can something I care about please happen?
    + "Aggravate my son" is on Abe's bucket list.
    + Their first sale and their first re-fund goes by quickly.
    ++ Homer's sarcastic rant about how the pub is loaded with costumers is probably so far the best joke, not that many of them are great.
    + Bart's note to self: Next time, visit Scotland. He might have fun there, it's where Willie lives! Lots and lots of crazy angry Scots!
    - Moe's involvement was really crummily done. He just suddenly appears to be hiding in a box? Gimme a break.
    + Having smoke in a evidence bag? As if that's even needed?!
    - What was up with the Colin Farrell-joke?
    ++ Who does smoking hurt besides everyone, which is basically what Homer is saying...?
    ++ Clancy Wiggum's appearance was the best one in a long time.
    --- Wait, it just ends there? Are you fucking kidding me?!?!

Well, if this wasn't one of the most pointless episodes ever, I don't know what. Very few laugh-out-loud-jokes, very slow "plot" development and the whole episode just plays out like a really lazy travel episode: Homer and Abraham fool around at a pub while the rest of the family go around doing random shit. There's very little to say about this at all, it's just a really wasteful and mediocre offering, but why am I surprised? It didn't even seem that good in the first place.

Blog Entries

I fully agree that this is among the most forgettable episodes ever.

++ Clancy Wiggum's appearance was the best one in a long time.
    Just a suggestion for future reviews - when you write things like this, your readers have to wonder what exactly happened during his appearance. A quick description would work wonders, as some of your readers (me, anyway) don't watch the episode alongside the review. Looking forward to your next one!

Blog Entries

Just a suggestion for future reviews - when you write things like this, your readers have to wonder what exactly happened during his appearance. A quick description would work wonders, as some of your readers (me, anyway) don't watch the episode alongside the review. Looking forward to your next one!
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't think so much about writing down what he did, because I just waited for the shit to end, but I'll try better next time!
    I was planning to watch "Coming To Homerica" at first, but hate when the Jean-era fails at satire, so I didn't take the risk. I might take it next time though.
    Oh and this episode... WHERE WAS THE PLOT??
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 08-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Coming to Homerica is mediocre. There wasn't a lot of satire, successful or failed, in that episode. I'm more curious to hear why you liked I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, which I found very mediocre.

Might be remembering incorrectly here, but was his appearance here the one where he accidentally electrocuted himself? I didn't find that very funny at all. That's more retarded Wiggum than incompetent/corrupt Wiggum.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 08-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Which episodes have you not seen @OldSchoolerSimpsons? I only wonder because you may have missed an episode that you may find half decent...

Blog Entries

Might be remembering incorrectly here, but was his appearance here the one where he accidentally electrocuted himself?
    Yep.
    I love "I Don't Wanna Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", because for once, Marge is actually likable and the emotional suffering she goes through because of not helping the prisoner was extremely well-done. It's also one of the few interesting Jean-era characters. She's absolutely insane for sure, but at the same time he's really sympathetic and it's hard to be mad at him. He reminds me a bit of Roberto in the Futurama-episode "Insane In The Mainframe" (so far my favorite episode from Futurama ever), in that he has a rising calm and loud tone in his voice.
    Hell, I even like the stupid theme park-part a bit. My opinion is notably not very popular, but I just think it's a really, really great episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    Which episodes have you not seen @OldSchoolerSimpsons? I only wonder because you may have missed an episode that you may find half decent...
    While I've seen "She Used To Be My Girl" and "Mobile Homer" from season 16, it was so long ago I have to re-watch them.
    I was close to writing a review for "Bonfire Of The Manatees", but my computer fucked up and it was all deleted... while I only had FIVE FUCKING MINUTES left from the episode!!!
    From 17, I don't think I've seen "The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas" and "Million-Dollar Abie", and didn't see the entirety of "Marge And Homer Turn A Couple Play". The only episode I have left from 18 is "G.I. D'oh". From 19, I didn't see the entirety of "The Debarted" and "Apocalypse Cow". The only episode I have from 20 is "Coming To Homerica". I haven't seen "Boy Meets Curl" (which @Simpsons_Sweden for a long time had as his avatar) and not the entirety of "Judge Me Tender". I haven't seen "Loan-a-Lisa", "MoneyBART" (Ugh, Tim Long), "Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life", "The Blue And The Gray", "The Scorpion's Tale", "A Midsummer's Nice Dream", "The Great Simpsina" and "500 Keys" from season 22.
    From 23, I haven't seen "Replaceable You", the entirety of "The Man In The Blue Flannel Pants" and "The Ten-Percent Solution", "The D'oh-cial Network" "The Daughter Also Rises", "Exit Throught The Kwik-E Mart" and the entirety of "A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again".
    Unfortunately, I saw every single episode from 24, just to see if the show would finally get back on track.
    From 25... Let's just say episode 3-8, 10, 12, 14, 16-18 and 21.

Blog Entries

Hmm...

If you'd like to watch relatively good episodes then I'd recommend "The Debarted", "Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life" and maybe "The Great Simpsina".

If you'd like to rip into some bad episodes then "Judge Me Tender", "A Midsummer's Nice Dream" and "Replaceable You" are all pretty awful.

Blog Entries

I'd add MoneyBART and The Blue and the Gray to the pile of good episodes. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again is a split-opinion one, so you'll have to watch it to decide if it's great or terrible.

Am I really the only one surprised they got away with saying "negro"?
    Is "negro" that bad of a word, though? They've also gotten away with "bitch," which I think is equally bad if not worse.

Blog Entries

Am I really the only one surprised they got away with saying "negro"?

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

Is "negro" that bad of a word, though? They've also gotten away with "bitch," which I think is equally bad if not worse.
    I didn't say it was bad, just that it was surprising. I mean, this is FOX we are talking about.
    Also, how is "bitch" worse? They don't use it often, but it has been said about 10-15 times or so.

Blog Entries

I thought "negro" was a fine word. I've never seen anybody offended by it.

Like...In reference to a black person? That's been offensive for a good 40-50 years.

Blog Entries

"Nigger," yeah. But I haven't heard "negro" used as an insult.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's been offensive for at least 100 years.

100? In the UK, maybe. In the US, in 1914? I doubt most people would bat an eyelid.

Blog Entries

Exit Through The Kwik-E-Mart 4/10

+ Abraham turning into a tree was funny.
    + So was Moleman getting crushed by a giant donut.
    - But let's face it, this is just The Simpsons kissing the ass of a popular television show. It works if it works into the plot naturally, like "The Springfield Files" and "24 Minutes", but when it's just done as a parody intro, it feels pointless.
    + It's nice to see Homer actually remembering Marge's birthday for once.
    + "Today I'm getting a autograph from the box lady herself!"
    + A mix between the SpongeBob and Simpsons-tune plays as they enter a exotic store.
    + "Apu! What are you doing outside of your natural habitat?" He sure spends too much time in that store.
    - Ok, seriously, why is he trying to prevent them from buying at some other store, though? This is not Mr. Krabs we're talking about.
    + A really, really stupid action scene follows. Yes, this time it works because of how stupid it is.
    + "I just cooked..." "Uh-huh?!" "... a great idea!" "Aaaaw..." I'm getting tired of the food jokes centering around Homer by this point, but this one was good.
    ? "This might be a birthday where I get sex!" Confusing Homer-line.
    # Hey, will you look at that, Snowball II makes her first appearance in forever.
    + A very prolonged "One" it is.
    - So Homer is upset because he just got "a petty kiss"? I know he's dissapointed in that his gift didn't turn out as he wanted, but that was just ridiculous.
    + Well, I'm glad we get a logical explanation as to why "the box lady" didn't call. Bart's new rabbit chewed the phone wire asunder.
    ++ The left messages on Marge's phone getting increasingly angry was hilarious.
    -- "The box lady" publicly ridiculing Marge on TV was just horrible though. It was already mean-spirited in the right balance.
    - Homer for some reason won't strangle Bart just because it's Marge's birthday, as if that's an excuse for all the other times.
    --- Homer locks Bart inside the rabbit's cage. This is fucking retarded, how is that even funny?
    + Thankfully, Homer at least immediately regrets it.
    --- Oh so now Bart suddenly wants to stay in the cage?! Wow, they are both total idiots.
    -- So now the plot is that Bart is gonna put up spray paint-pictures of Homer saying DOPE all over the town? Sigh, this is just getting better and better...
    - I was glad to see Drederick Tatum at first but they wasted it with a "hilarious" hip joke. Whoope-doope-doo.
    + Homer hums the Simpsons-tune.
    + Homer ironically bought a DOPE-chain.
    +/- Apu robbing a store Snake runs... Eh, it was amusing, but I still don't like how he goes this desperate for customers.
    + Moe being astonished at all the stuff the store has. Hell, they even have toilet paper! Oh wait, that should be a obligation... :S
    + Bart puts a question mark on the Fur Is Murder-sentence he is forced to paint out.
    -- Yippie, a bunch of guest stars I don't care about.
    - Haha, "F" to "Art" becomes "Fart"! No.
    -- Wait, this doesn't make any sense. Bart is mad at Homer for putting him in a rabbit cage, even though he wanted to get back into the cage. This plot does not compute with me.
    + Well, now the sub-plot ends. But it has a funny ending. It turns out the store that gave Apu competition sold monkey meat.
    ? Bart a bizzarre dream where his head gets bigger to near the point of exploding. Then he's woken up by Homer strangling him. I don't know how to react honestly.
    - How can Bart even expect Homer to come see his gallery of where he screws him over? He has no reason to wanna!
    + It turns out the whole gallery was a fraud. Well, at least it stopped the episode from feeling too stupid.
    + Mr. Burns didn't understand it all was fake, so he bought a lote of DOPE-prints by accident.
    - The gag is horribly overexplained. They ruined a perfectly fine joke!
    - The plot-twist is that a unmemorable guest star was a undercover cop. I am shocked. SHOCKED.
    --- As punishment for spray painting all over the town, Bart... is put in the fuckin' rabbit cage again!!
    # Bart escapes by spray painting "Pig In A Blanket" and gives it to Clancy. I have no comment on this.

What made it more than just a mediocre episode was how contrived the whole thing was. Did they really think Bart spray painting "DOPE" everywhere would be a interesting and fun plot at all? And Apu's sub-plot was just filler, I think it only went on for two goddamn minutes. Homer and Bart were also really annoying; Homer thinks of the "fantastic" idea of putting Bart in a rabbit cage and Bart wants to stay in the rabbit cage anyway when he is allowed out, but still decides to take revenge on Homer. I'm starting to wonder if I really to invest that much in this review thread since I find myself yawning at plenty of episodes.

Blog Entries

Nothing much to debate about. Not a great episode.

Blog Entries

Well, it kinda sucks if I sat through this shit-episode for nothing. @pkkao?

Thread Information