Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Classic Simpsons Guy Evil Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alexau View Post
    Its mine. I had the opportunity to buy it, and I did. Id been speaking with Anthony about these since prior to the LV1, and asked him a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago if I might have a shot at buying a prototype. Big Anthony gave him the go-ahead to release one into the wild, and I pounced. The rest are going to employees and business partners from what I was told.
    what does this have to do with this thread

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All right, guys. I've decided to review the Ned & Edna twology! First up: The Ned-Liest Catch.

I remember this being the best episode of season 22... only in the sense that not much else was better. Does it hold up?

The Ned-Liest Catch 7.7/10

# This is the quickest an episode has ever opened. Right after The Simpsons logo shows up in the clouds, the episode begins as soon as the letters are zoomed in at.
    ½+ Skinner wants everyone to cheer with indoor voices. Eeeeh. Kinda amusing, I suppose.
    + After Edna has slapped Bart, Chalmers say they have a zero-tolerance policy for that if it happens in front of everyone to see. Whaddayaknow? Some decent satire from a new Simpsons episode.
    +/- Homer thinking he was ruling the meeting was a good enough joke, but the annoying loud whisper Castellaneta keeps using with him needs to stop.
    ¾+ Edna is condemned to a room where she meets someone entertaining himself by looking at a crack in a wall. I sort of smirked.
    +⅓ He then chews on his his beard later on. LOUDLY.
    ? Edna weighs 135 pounds? What the fuck?
    - Flanders comes by out of nowhere and he comes up with an awkward and even out-of-character flirty line.
    - "I don't believe we've ever been properly introduced." You had a date with her in the same episode your wife died!
    + I don't get the "falling woman" joke, but Ned saying he never goes to second entrende on the first date was pretty funny.
    -- Wow, that has to be some of the worst pacing I've ever seen. After an already rushed build-up to a romance, we immediately get a montage to show how happy they are together. We had a mere 2 minutes of them talking to each other and I'm already "meant" to get the "aaaaw" feels for them. Sorry, I don't buy it.
    +/- God, what the hell. The scene with Edna and Ned in the couch is so... strangely executed. The cheese DVD jokes, the downright absurd lines and Ned going into almost-erotic mode. I mean, it showcases their affection for each other better than the montage, but it's so hilariously poorly done.
    + Teachers running out of the school happy just like the students was a solid joke.
    ¾+ Bart tries to make Santa's Little Helper eat his homework, but it doesn't work. It's an all right bit.
    +½ Homer keeps throwing stuff over Flanders' fence asking "Little help?". I got a genuine laugh out of him throwing Bart.
    --- Flanders doesn't like Edna saying "darn". Uuuhm, you've said "darn" and "dang" I don't know how many times, and you suddenly have a problem with the word? What a terrible and stupid joke.
    + Edna makes Homer give Flanders back all his stuff, even the classic tumble weed.
    +½ Ned gives an actual touching speech about how he has missed having somebody he loved, ever since his wife died. You do feel sorry for him.
    + Homer's reaction could have been dumb, but is actually funny.
    + He then mentions his "secret Christian underwear", where he puts in one leg at a time. Uuuuh, okay then...
    +¾ "You STUPID jerks. I can't believe you all could be so cruel. Especially you, Joey Kramer." For some reason I thought him singling out Kramer was hilarious.
    + The men Edna had sex with "occupying" her face was crazy, but I chuckled.
    -- Fuck, I've always hated this ending. It just cancels any real ending and is nothing more than a stupid ratings ploy. We all know most of the viewers would want Edna and Ned together either way (since many grew tired of Ned being single), so the voting wasn't even necessary. Very poor "conclusion" to an otherwise fine episode.

It might be just a little bit worse than on my first watch (since I don't like how the relationship was introduced and the ending sucked), but there is some heart in this episode, which the Jean era extremely rarely succeeds with. I was surprised by how well this episode held up, as I expected to find some serious issues with it. But no, it still remains the "best" episode of season 22. Now, season 22 is not the worst season as 23 will... you know, never be beat. It just happens to have no real standout episodes. But if you were to pick one from the mess, it's either 500 Keys or The Ned-Liest Catch. While yes, I don't buy into the romance at first (that scene with them at the couch, just no), it's developed better later on and also has a conflict which makes perfect sence (Ned getting uneasy over Edna's many partners). However, the real shocker is the comedy. This episode is funny! I laughed a couple times and found myself able to more... watch, as compared to when I smell shit from a mile away and just get angrier and angrier. Homer is well-characterized, he cares for Ned. Ned is also a lot more likeable than he has been in many newer episodes, where he's just portrayed as a bigoted asshole. It's refreshing that his more neighborly, sympathetic side is shown. He may be uptight, but he's a really nice fellow.
    Not the greatest, but much, much better than its boring sequel Ned 'N Edna's Blend. But I'll take another look at that episode as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

i give your review a ⅓+

Blog Entries

2 questions
    1. Why was this review so much shorter?
    2. Why did you give it a 7.7 when you didn't really like THAT much?
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

Short? This review really isn't that short, I'd say it's somewhere in the middle. The ones for The Kids Are All Fight and A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again for example, are much shorter.
    It all depends on how much I feel is worth commenting on. There are always some parts I don't really find interesting enough to mention, so I skip them. Heck, if I mentioned every single bit of the episode, the review would take forever to write. Sometimes I write a whole lot (particularly when it's an episode I rated 1 or 2/10), sometimes not as much.

Also, I actually really enjoyed the episode. I think 7.7 is an accurate rating for a mildly flawed but good episode.

Blog Entries

Okay!

I could give or take with that episode, considering it opened the door to possibly giving Flanders a new lover after being single for so long. Also I thought Joey Kramer tried to push away Edna's affections.

Blog Entries

The finishing part of the Ned & Enda twology...

Ned 'N Edna's Blend 5/10

- Milhouse auditions for a play, but it's not really that funny. That his voice cracks and sounds weird doesn't help either.
    + Homer gets the part of Jesus instead of Ned, but when Ned gets "Guess that's my cross to bear", Homer doesn't get what he means. He.
    -- This is the second time Lisa refers to Buddha as "Lord". If she was smart enough, she'd know Buddha isn't a God.
    - When Homer learns he has many scenes with Jesus: "Why do I succeed in everything I audition for?" The joke doesn't really make sense and didn't have me laughing.
    - I don't like when characters in this show thinks someone is performing well even though it's actually kinda poor. Remember Ralph from I Love Lisa? That was an actual great performance, which is why that show worked for me. Here, Homer is just being his stupid self with a few Jesus ramblings inbetween. Maybe Homer simply messing up the play would've been executed better.
    ⅓+ "OUT OF MY WAY, STUPID FLANDERS!"
    --- Ned is wounded during the play, and says that he doesn't want "any atheist blood". This is the kind of holier-than-thou attitude I hate about him in the new episodes.
    - Homer whines about his marriage, which is not amusing at all aside of someone literally "biting the dust" in the hospital.
    + Bart insults Homer by calling him by his first name and a fatass. He asks him which is worse, and Homer hates... both, of course. Good enough joke.
    - One of the show's few cutaways: Ned gets married and his parents are there talking about drugs. They never seem to be funny after Hurricane Neddy. I didn't like their appearance in Black-Eyed, Please either. Also, what the hell is up with Nedward's voice???
    + A couple is shown marrying on Mount Everest and the bride's finger comes off.
    - Helen Lovejoy appears. I've never been a fan of her, not even in the older episodes. She's so annoying and a crummy gossip caricatyre.
    ? Someone spills a glass and says he's still "a pre-opted transhander". ????????

Well Jesus, this episode is just ridiculously slow-moving! It took 13 minutes for a conflict to pop up in Ned and Edna's relationship, with her getting Rod and Todd out of that dumb Christian school. In fact, there was so much filler that I didn't even bother with some stuff, and jokes neither made me laugh nor frustrated. It better pick up from here.

+ Ned has a clay animated nightmare. I'd be lying if I said the plus point wasn't only for the very fun animation. Although Todd's last line was amusing.
    # The bullies work with parking people's cars. Meh. The "Why are you parking yourself?" joke was pretty lame.
    -½ And of course Helen succeeds with her only purpose: to RUIN the wedding. God do I hate her.
    # Wow, has Ned conflicting with whether he wants to really go on for just 3 minutes?
    +½ Moe poking fun at the dumb 4-act structure in new episodes really got me, even though it's sort of stupid at the same time.
    - Some forced fighting between Homer and Marge is shown to convince Ned marriages are not perfect but still can love each other. As if this episode wasn't needlessly rushed enough! It really didn't have to be though, they could have cut out a LOT of filler, for example the Jesus act which didn't even have to be the kick-off for the plot.
    -- In fact, the episode is so lazy Ned doesn't even need time to apologize, Edna instantly forgives him! Sigh.
    +/- Ned has a rap at the end of the episode. I'm not even sure if this is funny-stupid or just stupid.

The viewers had to wait a whole year before the show delved more into Ned and Edna's relationship. Think about it, what exactly did it change about their lives? Not much apparently, as they only teased that they stayed together in the season 23 premiere, then didn't even bother to show them together until the near end. It's like they weren't commited enough to just have them be there. Sure, we didn't get many loving scenes with Ned and Maude, but at least they were actually shown together often enough. But with this relationship, we only got 2 episodes about them and a few unremarkable winky-winks. Hell, they didn't even speak to each other in the season 23 premiere, just looked at each other. Are you kidding me? So with everyone waiting so long for some development into their relationship, it had to be a proper follow-up.
    Aaaaaand... it wasn't. This is just a boring mess. Not only is the conflict not that different (Ned being bothered by Edna's unorthodox nature, only it's not only sex this time), but they barely even... care. I kept track of the time, and the "main" conflict of the episode went on for 6 minutes. That is right. SIX. MINUTES. The episode is called "Ned 'N Edna's Blend" (a really stupid title, by the way), and we get SIX MINUTES of their marriage cracking. It's badly paced, for sure. The entire first act is complete filler, and Homer acting like Jesus should 100% absolutely be comic gold, but it's just pretty bland. He's not crazy enough, or even serious enough. We get the usual fat joke as well with Homer being so heavy extra people are needed to lift the cross up. As for the conflict itself, it's very, VERY rushed. Ned pretends everything's fine, gets bad dream, nothing's fine and breaks up marriage, get convinced to get back with her in a dumb way, and they re-unite without bickering even a little. How am I supposed to take Ned's worry seriously it's executed in such a by-the-numbers way?! The funniest thing is, both The Ned-Liest Catch and Ned 'N Edna's Blend were written by Jeff Westbrock. Guess he didn't know how to continue.
    What makes me genuinely mad is that shortly after this, Marcia Wallace died, and over those couple years with her alive and playing Ned's girlfriend/then wife, they did nearly NOTHING with Edna and Ned. And that is very sad.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 07-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    All right, guys. I've decided to review the Ned & Edna twology! First up: The Ned-Liest Catch.

I remember this being the best episode of season 22... only in the sense that not much else was better. Does it hold up?

The Ned-Liest Catch 7.7/10

# This is the quickest an episode has ever opened. Right after The Simpsons logo shows up in the clouds, the episode begins as soon as the letters are zoomed in at.
    ½+ Skinner wants everyone to cheer with indoor voices. Eeeeh. Kinda amusing, I suppose.
    + After Edna has slapped Bart, Chalmers say they have a zero-tolerance policy for that if it happens in front of everyone to see. Whaddayaknow? Some decent satire from a new Simpsons episode.
    +/- Homer thinking he was ruling the meeting was a good enough joke, but the annoying loud whisper Castellaneta keeps using with him needs to stop.
    ¾+ Edna is condemned to a room where she meets someone entertaining himself by looking at a crack in a wall. I sort of smirked.
    +⅓ He then chews on his his beard later on. LOUDLY.
    ? Edna weighs 135 pounds? What the fuck?
    - Flanders comes by out of nowhere and he comes up with an awkward and even out-of-character flirty line.
    - "I don't believe we've ever been properly introduced." You had a date with her in the same episode your wife died!
    + I don't get the "falling woman" joke, but Ned saying he never goes to second entrende on the first date was pretty funny.
    -- Wow, that has to be some of the worst pacing I've ever seen. After an already rushed build-up to a romance, we immediately get a montage to show how happy they are together. We had a mere 2 minutes of them talking to each other and I'm already "meant" to get the "aaaaw" feels for them. Sorry, I don't buy it.
    +/- God, what the hell. The scene with Edna and Ned in the couch is so... strangely executed. The cheese DVD jokes, the downright absurd lines and Ned going into almost-erotic mode. I mean, it showcases their affection for each other better than the montage, but it's so hilariously poorly done.
    + Teachers running out of the school happy just like the students was a solid joke.
    ¾+ Bart tries to make Santa's Little Helper eat his homework, but it doesn't work. It's an all right bit.
    +½ Homer keeps throwing stuff over Flanders' fence asking "Little help?". I got a genuine laugh out of him throwing Bart.
    --- Flanders doesn't like Edna saying "darn". Uuuhm, you've said "darn" and "dang" I don't know how many times, and you suddenly have a problem with the word? What a terrible and stupid joke.
    + Edna makes Homer give Flanders back all his stuff, even the classic tumble weed.
    +½ Ned gives an actual touching speech about how he has missed having somebody he loved, ever since his wife died. You do feel sorry for him.
    + Homer's reaction could have been dumb, but is actually funny.
    + He then mentions his "secret Christian underwear", where he puts in one leg at a time. Uuuuh, okay then...
    +¾ "You STUPID jerks. I can't believe you all could be so cruel. Especially you, Joey Kramer." For some reason I thought him singling out Kramer was hilarious.
    + The men Edna had sex with "occupying" her face was crazy, but I chuckled.
    -- Fuck, I've always hated this ending. It just cancels any real ending and is nothing more than a stupid ratings ploy. We all know most of the viewers would want Edna and Ned together either way (since many grew tired of Ned being single), so the voting wasn't even necessary. Very poor "conclusion" to an otherwise fine episode.

It might be just a little bit worse than on my first watch (since I don't like how the relationship was introduced and the ending sucked), but there is some heart in this episode, which the Jean era extremely rarely succeeds with. I was surprised by how well this episode held up, as I expected to find some serious issues with it. But no, it still remains the "best" episode of season 22. Now, season 22 is not the worst season as 23 will... you know, never be beat. It just happens to have no real standout episodes. But if you were to pick one from the mess, it's either 500 Keys or The Ned-Liest Catch. While yes, I don't buy into the romance at first (that scene with them at the couch, just no), it's developed better later on and also has a conflict which makes perfect sence (Ned getting uneasy over Edna's many partners). However, the real shocker is the comedy. This episode is funny! I laughed a couple times and found myself able to more... watch, as compared to when I smell shit from a mile away and just get angrier and angrier. Homer is well-characterized, he cares for Ned. Ned is also a lot more likeable than he has been in many newer episodes, where he's just portrayed as a bigoted asshole. It's refreshing that his more neighborly, sympathetic side is shown. He may be uptight, but he's a really nice fellow.
    Not the greatest, but much, much better than its boring sequel Ned 'N Edna's Blend. But I'll take another look at that episode as well.
    Did you see the special end credits sequence made exclusively for repeats? I think that was pretty funny. (It's on SimpsonsWorld.com and the FXX app.)

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I actually think this episode is marginally better than The Ned-liest Catch, but that's not saying much since I don't like both of them. I never thought Ned and Edna was that believable of a couple although now that I think of it, it's probably more because of how their relationship was developed than anything and I don't think it was done well in both of the Nedna episode. I barely remember anything from this episode other than it being dull, but this one line that stood out was Moe's line about the fourth act structure and that is just an example of how terrible the show is nowadays when they attempt self-aware jokes because it seems like they're usually done out of laziness instead of them just poking fun. The one self-aware joke in The D'ohcial Network said by The Blue-Haired Lawyer was particularly bad. The sad thing about this episode is that it's one of the better episodes of season 23 and that's barely saying anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

Nah, Ned 'N Edna's Blend is still pretty bad. Better examples of watchable season 23 episodes are The Book Job and Holidays Of Future Past (even though that one is overrated as fuck). At least The Ned-Liest Catch made me laugh.

yes it's a shame that the sequel to this episode is oh so mediocre or rather worse than mediocre

sometimes I kind of wish they killed off Helen Lovejoy instead of Maude
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 07-08-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    - Some forced fighting between Homer and Marge is shown to convince Ned marriages are not perfect but still can love each other. As if this episode wasn't needlessly rushed enough! It really didn't have to be though, they could have cut out a LOT of filler, for example the Jesus act which didn't even have to be the kick-off for the plot.
    This is a really minor thing to complain about, but I don't like that whenever they do an episode about someone's else's relationship, they have to compare it to Homer and Marge's relationship and cut back to it and showing Homer usually acting like a wacky, idiotic, selfish jerk while Marge just sadly sighs in disappointment or gets angry and starts yelling at him (until she just forgives him at the end). I remember it even became the sub-plot in the episode where Skinner and Krabappel almost got married. It's like the writers are obsessed with no longer making Homer and Marge a happily married couple but instead this extremely dysfunctional relationship that's always on the verge of completely falling apart because of Homer's antics and can only survive because of Marge either being in denial or always forgiving Homer. It's really more sad and depressing then funny at this point.

Also, the whole plot point of Edna taking Rod and Todd to Springfield Elementary confuses me, because I'm pretty sure they were already shown to attend the school in earlier episodes.

Blog Entries

I dunno, I kinda laughed at that argument. I just love pointless arguments on The Simpsons (I even liked the "you're an alcoholic hippo" banter between Homer and Abe in "The D'oh-cial Network" and the Stranded argument in "Beware My Cheating Bart").

That said, I can understand why people don't like them, and it's starting to become apparent why people think "Secrets of a Successful Marriage" is a prime classic-era Jerkass Homer episode, possibly one that opened up a can of worms that bled into later episodes, even moreso than "Homer's Enemy". In fact, thinking about it, it does make a lot of sense. Homer was being really selfish in that episode, exposing Marge's secrets just to get attention from the class, and the resolution was partly "I need you to put up with me" (literally like that). This episode basically cemented the "Marge will always forgive Homer no matter what he does" attitude that plagues later episodes. There are moments where her forgiving him seems justified, such as "Wedding for Disaster" and "Judge Me Tender", but that's only because we can see he actually meant well in those episodes, screwing up out of lack of intelligence rather than being selfish or pushy.

While I don't always have a problem with it, I can see why others do, and I can see where they're coming from.

Blog Entries

The thing is, this episode isn't really the only one guilty of defining Homer and Marge's relationship as "Marge forgives Homer, no matter what". A lot of the problems that people have with the show now and with modern episodes in general, are things that have always been a part of the show, even in the classic era.

Homer not being a misguided and loveable dimwit but instead a selfish idiot who always gets rewarded for his stupidity and is a danger to everyone around him? Homer's Enemy gave us that suggestion with how Frank Grimes saw Homer.

Homer getting a new job that only lasts one episode? Dancin' Homer and Marge vs. The Monorail were episodes about that.

Bart being a completely brain-dead idiot? That was basically the sub-plot in Duffless.

Instead of just pulling pranks for fun and doesn't mean for people to get hurt, Bart is instead a remorseless jerk who endangers people with his stunts and shows no guilt for it? There were already signs of it in Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie, and The Secret War of Lisa Simpson.

Lisa being an arrogant, preachy, smug know-it-all jerk who constantly forces her beliefs on everyone and refuses to admit she was wrong? So was she in Lisa the Vegetarian. In addition, that episode seems to be the start of when they stopped mocking celebrities or having them just voice interesting guest-stars and instead started glorifying them and basically kissed the asses, since Lisa only stayed a vegetarian because Paul McCartney wouldn't do the show otherwise, and the McCartney's were basically treated as wise sages who solved the problem, even putting in some product placement for Linda's vegan food line (although arguably, this trend could have started as early as with Ringo Starr or Barry White's appearances on the show).

Lisa having no friends except for the one-shot guest character? Lisa's Rival started that trend.

Something wacky and bizarre happens to the Simpsons? They fought killer robots in Itchy & Scratchy Land.

Marge being close-minded and trying to shut something just because she hates it? She was like that in Bart After Dark.

Marge always easily forgiving Homer no matter how much of a wacky jerkass he is, and basically being his enabler? Like you said, that was basically Secrets of a Successful Marriage.

The thing is, these elements weren't really used that much in earlier episodes, but as the years have gone by, they've been over-used and exaggerated to the point that there basically cliché episode plots, and are practically defining characteristics of the show and it's characters.

yeah what I noticed about Lisa, is that in a way she's kind of like Brian on Family Guy, she can't stand it when people are smarter than her, or a better musician than her, and that well it kind of shows in Simpsons Guy or We Love You Conrad, yeah they kind of turned Brian into Lisa

also that thing where Rod and Todd are in a Christian school? since when? we've seen them in Springfield Elementary before
    Last edited by ComicBookGal; 07-09-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookGal View Post
    yeah what I noticed about Lisa, is that in a way she's kind of like Brian on Family Guy, she can't stand it when people are smarter than her, or a better musician than her, and that well it kind of shows in Simpsons Guy or We Love You Conrad, yeah they kind of turned Brian into Lisa

also that thing where Rod and Todd are in a Christian school? since when? we've seen them in Springfield Elementary before
    Yeah, Brian is almost a totally different character on the show now then he was before. Back in the early seasons, he was just Peter's stoic best friend who had a dry sense of humor, made snarky comments, was usually the voice of reason for Peter's mischief, had genuine interest in the arts and never really brought up his beliefs. Now's he just basically a pretentious, extreme liberal who's always bringing up his beliefs, is incredibly smug, almost only ever hangs out with Stewie now, can't write for crap, and has a big ego problem (although they don't really focus on Brian's beliefs in recent episodes as much as they used). I remember in one of the earlier episodes, Brian went out on a date with a hot woman, but was frustrated because she was an airhead and he wanted someone genuinely intelligent...modern Brian wouldn't care about that at all.

The Rod and Todd part confuses me too, since they used to be shown at Springfield Elementary in earlier episodes, and I don't think they ever did an episode about them moving to a different school, they just stopped showing up at the school I guess either the writers just forgot because they hadn't been seen at the school for a long time, or they just didn't care.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    The thing is, this episode isn't really the only one guilty of defining Homer and Marge's relationship as "Marge forgives Homer, no matter what". A lot of the problems that people have with the show now and with modern episodes in general, are things that have always been a part of the show, even in the classic era.

Homer not being a misguided and loveable dimwit but instead a selfish idiot who always gets rewarded for his stupidity and is a danger to everyone around him? Homer's Enemy gave us that suggestion with how Frank Grimes saw Homer.

Homer getting a new job that only lasts one episode? Dancin' Homer and Marge vs. The Monorail were episodes about that.

Bart being a completely brain-dead idiot? That was basically the sub-plot in Duffless.

Instead of just pulling pranks for fun and doesn't mean for people to get hurt, Bart is instead a remorseless jerk who endangers people with his stunts and shows no guilt for it? There were already signs of it in Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie, and The Secret War of Lisa Simpson.

Lisa being an arrogant, preachy, smug know-it-all jerk who constantly forces her beliefs on everyone and refuses to admit she was wrong? So was she in Lisa the Vegetarian. In addition, that episode seems to be the start of when they stopped mocking celebrities or having them just voice interesting guest-stars and instead started glorifying them and basically kissed the asses, since Lisa only stayed a vegetarian because Paul McCartney wouldn't do the show otherwise, and the McCartney's were basically treated as wise sages who solved the problem, even putting in some product placement for Linda's vegan food line (although arguably, this trend could have started as early as with Ringo Starr or Barry White's appearances on the show).

Lisa having no friends except for the one-shot guest character? Lisa's Rival started that trend.

Something wacky and bizarre happens to the Simpsons? They fought killer robots in Itchy & Scratchy Land.

Marge being close-minded and trying to shut something just because she hates it? She was like that in Bart After Dark.

Marge always easily forgiving Homer no matter how much of a wacky jerkass he is, and basically being his enabler? Like you said, that was basically Secrets of a Successful Marriage.

The thing is, these elements weren't really used that much in earlier episodes, but as the years have gone by, they've been over-used and exaggerated to the point that there basically cliché episode plots, and are practically defining characteristics of the show and it's characters.
    Wow, a lot of that I never thought of, to be honest. And I'm usually one to try to stay unbiased when it comes to The Simpsons and the classic vs. modern era. Although, in some cases I never thought of it due to not realizing the way people complain about these problems in modern Simpsons. When people talk about celebrities, they usually talk about ones that had more screen time, such as Mel Gibson, Lady Gaga, Elon Musk, so the McCartneys may not seem like a good comparison, but then again, you get people complaining about Britney Spears and Lionel Richie, who also got very little screen time, so it makes sense.

The robots especially is something I'm surprised I haven't thought of. But when I think of "wacky things" from Seasons 1-8 that seem like they'd be a better fit for a THOH/Family Guy episode, I think about the aliens from "The Springfield Files". Granted, you could argue that they were there for a throwaway joke (well, two in the case of Chewbacca), unlike the robots that were a semi-big part of the plot (or the Jockey Elves of later year), but something about that kinda bothers me - so they didn't believe in Homer's alien but Chewbacca, Kodos or Kang, and Marvin the Martian are standing right in front of everyone? That actually makes even less sense than the robots, or even the Jockey Elves. It's not like Homer tried to tell Bart about the jockeys only for Bart to say he didn't believe him while looking directly at a jockey elf.

But if we're sticking to Seasons 1-8, I think Lisa being an arrogant and smug jerk is better described in "Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment" or "Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy" than "Lisa the Vegetarian". At least she apologized at the end of it and learned to respect others' views on it, whereas in the former two her points of view were treated as if she were right all along.

But yeah, I've always believed the "Homer gets a job" was always something of the early seasons. Here's that list he gave in "Papa's Got a Brand New Badge". All the Seasons 1-8 jobs are bolded.

"You know, I've had a lot of jobs. Boxer, mascot, astronaut, imitation Krusty, baby-proofer, trucker, hippie, plow driver, food critic, conceptual artist, grease salesman, carny, mayor, grifter, bodyguard for the mayor, country-western manager, garbage commissioner, mountain climber, farmer, inventor, Smithers, Poochie, celebrity assistant, power plant worker, fortune cookie writer, beer baron, Kwik-E-Mart clerk, homophobe and missionary."

That's 11 from the first 8 seasons (although you could cross out "homophobe" because that's not really a job and he probably just said that as a joke) and probably more (he did not list monorail driver, for one). However, Homer getting a lot of jobs never bothered me at all. In fact, of all the things people point out in modern Simpsons, it probably bothers me the least because I absolutely don't see what's wrong with it. I can understand most of the complaints, even if I don't agree with them, but I don't think Homer getting a lot of jobs was ever worth complaining about it (and frankly, I don't think I ever heard anyone complain about it until I read that Dead Homer Society blog, and I know what we all think of that).

About "Homer's Enemy", though... the whole point of the episode was to be experimental, with everyone loving Homer and the point of view being from a "normal" person. But many people believe that episode was what ruined the series, thinking the elements from it bled into the modern era too much, laying the groundwork for Jerkass Homer. That may be true for his actions toward the general public, but toward his family, especially Marge, it was "Secrets of a Successful Marriage".

Blog Entries

Lisa wasn't arrogant or a jerk at all in Lisa Vs. Malibu Stacy. She just didn't want girls to have dolls which tought them sexist views. I was completely on her side in that episode.

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, and it's not like Lisa tried to take away the other kids' Stacy dolls; she just wanted there to be a replacement that didn't utter sexist drivel. I'm not sure how she could be seen as a jerk in that episode.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

I post here (sometimes) Ben Dewison's Avatar

Pardon the late response, but my bad memory and tendency to take things literally means I need to have to see what I'm responding to right in front of me :-). In this case that means copying and pasting it onto a Word document!

Although I didn't particularly mind this episode, I agree with you about a lot. It's no surprise that Flanders has become more flanderised, along with the other characters, as the show now consistently sells out reality for the sake of cheap laughs. Note the hilarious pun. In all seriousness, the result of having jokes built around characters contradicting themselves, or acting in unexpectedly opposite ways, is that over time they become so uselessly flexible as to prevent them serving a clear purpose. Imagine Flanders now turning to the bible for motivation to respect others!

Polling the whole of America about Nedna was a bad idea. While it's important for such organisations to interact with their audience, giving them the onus to dictate part of the show's vision shows how unimportant it all is. That level of pandering either shows that the ratings mean more than the show's quality to the staff, that Nedna is going to be completely insignificant to their vision, or both.

However, although I agree with you about their relationship in general and don't remember this episode too well, I seem to recall some enjoyable interplay. Also, the first act was quite amusing to me at least.

But this is nothing compared to Brian Griffin. He's far beyond a pretentious, extreme liberal. At first he showed signs of feeling marginalised and unimportant, due to relying on external motivations to pursue his passions but never getting a break. That was then exaggerated for cheap laughs into him trying to gain others' approval in unsubtle ways, which over time dehumanised him, and now his character is pure manipulative spitefulness. He gives others herpes, uses women and girls for their bodies and coaxes people who've done charitable things for him out of their money and possessions with no hint of regret.

I don't think having america being polled on it was a bad idea, I mean it was more of a publicity stunt that worked (unlike last season when the rumours about Homer and Marge divorcing was going on) also I can't remember how many viewers there were for Falcon and the Do'hman

Blog Entries

Barthood 3/10

# This couch gag was just weird. I don't know what to comment.
    -- For whatever reason, Bart's voice as young since pretty awful in this episode.
    # Homer now has an injury and Bart keeps teasing him. Nothing particularly offensive, but I didn't laugh.
    - (Little) Bart says Homer is bleeding out of his ear even though the blood pours under his head. It could be coming from the other error, but I just thought it was odd.
    ? Abe can't "drive legally"? Why?
    - Is it just the poor animation? It feels like Wiggum mistaking pepper for pepper spray and covering his eyes with hot sauce instead of water should be funny, but I didn't even chuckle.
    + Frink saying Bart has no future even with the technological advancements was pretty amusing.
    - Milhouse very randomly pops up and Homer's remark how Milhouse was a bad name was just meeeeeeeh.
    -½ Bart starts honking right into Homer's ear, so it starts bleeding again. Yeah, this was just stupid.
    Honest to God, where is the humor? This is talked about as one of the best modern episodes, but it's not even funny? I haven't laughed once.
    - We already skip to Bart being 12? This is really weird since we first saw Bart being... I dunno, 7? And now the episode has skipped through his present age. Could the pacing be any odder?
    - Man, the birthday scene is so poorly done. Lisa finds out she's the student of the month for the 48th time, and Marge is happy for her. She does remark though that it's Bart birthday, but then Bart already has decided to flee home. I don't understand the incredible rush, we gonna see Bart turn 200 or something??
    -- Terrible voice acting when Milhouse repeats "BLAM!".
    + Wiggum makes a joke when Bart and Milhouse smash all the lights (Lightmare On Elm Street), but Lou corrects him and says it's Maple Street. I like whenever Lou is so straightfaced, it makes for a funny contrast in their relationship.
    + Milhouse gets tazed for no reason at all, haha.
    -- After Bart gets a bike from his gramp, we ALREADY skip a few years forward. This episode has some of the worst pacing I've ever seen.
    --/+ Marge and Lisa see an Apple car, with Marge remarking they should have stuck with computers.
    WHAT?! This joke is so fucking terrible it almost makes me laugh.
    - Bart mistakes Sherri for Terri when he's about to have sex with h-
    What the fuck am I watching?
    -- Bart walks in on Homer and Wiggum getting high smoking bongs. Not only is this a really cringeworthy unfunny scene, but it doesn't make sense either. If Bart is the rebellious one, why is he horrified at Homer getting high? Look, maybe he can be surprised, because that makes sense, but worried over the cops? There must have been a better way they could've done this scene from at least a logical standpoint.
    --- Homer tries to bond with Bart, but he fails when he says something stupid. Homer takes his bike to his grandfa- Oh for God's sake! Now Abe is already dead as well. Yep, already there. I can't repeat enough how idiotically paced this episode is.
    -- Lisa saves Bart's life, but instead of being relieved he's okay she's overjoyed at how goddamn good she is at CPR. Are you JOKING?
    + Disco Stu is depressed that disco didn't come back, so he's just Stu now. Nothing hilarious, but half-amusing.
    ?/- Bart is not even that much older, so how can Nelson be fuckin' 80 or something? That takes quite an insane amount of suspensed disbelief.
    - The laziness of the "aged up" characters is very noticeable this time. Wendell and Lewis literally just look like their childhood selves, only taller, and even some adults who looked different in other flashback episodes just look the same as usual here.
    --- Maggie and Gerald are a couple!!! Fuck this show.
    # Lisa and Nelson are a couple again. I guess this will satisfy those obsessed with those two as one link.
    # Bart does something nice for Lisa, but I don't think it feels earned enough to work.
    + Nelson finds out Bart is El Barto and doesn't understand how that can be. It's a very silly joke, but I chuckled admittedly.
    # The cloud scene from the beginning with Bart asking things is now at the end, only that now when he's older he gets answers to his questions.
    --- Bart asks Homer what he thought of the movie Boyhood. Homer remarks "That's what this was?!". This is... This is such a horrendous joke. IN CASE YOU DIDN'T GET IT, THIS IS A BOYHOOD PARODY! No shit.
    -- Oh, so I guess Homer's a stoner now instead of a drinker?? What the fuck, okay then.

This has been spoken about as one of the absolute greats of HD Simpsons, an episode that could seriously be measured up to the classics.
    With that in mind, I actually already expected it to be very overrated, since very few of the praised new episodes have actually been that good. I enjoyed Holidays Of Future Passed, but it was massively flawed as well and undeserving of the high praise. So in no way did I think this was gonna be great.
    What I didn't think though, was that it would be TERRIBLE! That's right, I have to say it. I think this episode is downright terrible. There are so many things wrong with it I don't even know where to begin.
    First off, Bart's characterization. Not once except when he's very little I suppose, do I root for him. All he does in the episode is whine, whine and whine. Second place this, second place that. As a kid he's fine (despite his new bad voice), but as an ADULT... Holy crap, Bart annoyed the crap out of me in this episode. We are meant to feel for him, like the boy in the movie, but he comes off so much as a snotty little brat that I just don't care. I just don't care. Also, even though we are supposed to "get the feels", some good humor is needed as well. But where the hell was it? This episode was lacking in laughs so much I would crack up more during a Bordertown episode. And also, this episode is so painfully BORING. Nothing that happens is interesting, and even though the episode is horribly paced by how some years get about 30 seconds, some others several minutes (not to mention the weird absence of present Bart) it moves like a snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail. After 10 minutes of Bart's groaning, you start to yawn. And lastly, but worst of all, is how they rush the relationship between Bart and Abraham. Look, I now you want to see Bart continue to grow and that his grandfather will die eventually... BUT IT WAS SO FUCKING SLOPPY! We get some scenes where they get along decently, but the heart never quite sets in. We never get enough time to understand how he was a better father figure for him than Homer ever was. I was actually shocked that 14 minutes already had passed when Abe died since it felt like I got NOTHING out of the scenes with those two together. Bart gets a nice bike. Cool. And a better reason why they are so close to each other...? No. Okay. Okay.
    Oh wait, there is the CPR scene where Lisa is an asshole. But I already mentioned that one.
    Overrated, dreadful pile of shit.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Egg

Blog Entries

I definitely agree. Can't believe all the praise it's recieved.

Blog Entries

It's an absolute mess. This episode doesn't make any sense at all and is nothing more than another ratings trick in order to lure in more viewers. I hated this episode. I really, really hated it.

Blog Entries

So why did you give it a 3 and not a 1?

Blog Entries

"Really, really hated" is definitely appropriate for a 3 rating considering I think it's so overrated (and with movies I'm even harsher, I can be very angry at a 4/10 movie), but it takes even more in order for me to rate an episode a 2 or 1. As bad as it was, I just kinda spaced out at times and didn't care much about what was happening. With a 2 or 1 rating, there are so many negative aspects I'll fire up like a real storm almost every minute.

Blog Entries

Makes sense.
    I mean, you flipped the bird at the end of your Every Man's Dream review. Can't get much more negative then that!

Blog Entries

I think some people kind of hyped it up because it broke from the traditional format, even the future format. Plus, it was the first time since "Lisa's Wedding" where Bart's future doesn't involve him becoming a deadbeat loser.

What I liked about it was... well, we see the side of Bart being ignored by his parents, the side "Lisa's Sax" didn't show. We actually see the effects on him, how it hurts him, and how he can overcome it and still have a bright future. It's honestly the best characterization of Bart in years, where he wasn't written as a complete sociopath (and even when he was, there was reasoning behind it) and they knew exactly what they wanted to do with him.

I'm a bit surprised by how much people like it, though. On IMDb, it's one of five Season 11+ episodes to crack the top 100 episodes (the others being "Trilogy of Error", "24 Minutes", "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind", and "Holidays of Future Passed").

This is why I don't want them to stop doing parodies. Even if this came out five years later (yeah, it came out around the same time as Boyhood), I think it would still have the same effect). But if you notice, four out of five of the episodes I listed are all parodies of something. And "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" post-dates Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by three years, but people still like it.

okay again I feel obligated to point out that in the Simpsons comics issue with the Fish logs, Maggie and Gerald do end up marrying (oh yeah maggie doesn't speak at all, might want to add that as a minus if you ever review the rise and fall of bart simpson in the simpsons comics review thread)

also when you think about it, it's basically telling Bart's side of the story, you know how Lisa usually feels teeved off whenever Bart gets all the attention, here he makes us take his side as he sees that Lisa gets all the attention (honestly what would Maggie's side of the story be?)

Thread Information