Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsgiving View Post
    How did this episode get so good reviews? It's terrible.
    The short answer is that given the litany of awful Lisa episodes that kicks off Season 22 (Elementary School Musical, Loan-a Lisa, MoneyBART), THIS seemed like an improvement. Hence why it managed a solid 4/5 score consensus. Classic case of grading on a curve. Does it deserve it? Hell no. You're completely right to decry Joel H. Cohen.

Quote Originally Posted by santa's elf View Post
    Did you review Pay Pal? I suggest this because the HD era Marge/Lisa stories are so brilliantly written that you want to review them all.
    No. I saw it on TV once though. I loved every minute of it...
    There are two things about Pay Pal that, while still flawed, make it work slightly better than Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life, The Daughter Also Rises or the litany of other half-assed Marge/Lisa conflict stories we've been dealt of late.

First off, Lisa's characterization is pretty much on point. Of course, she has less time to screw things up given that her subplot is only seriously explored in the second half of the episode. Her reactions make sense. She makes a friend in Tumi. They hang out and share an incalculable number of shared common interests. Bart smells a rat and spies on them. Presents Lisa with the intel that Marge has PAID Tumi to be Lisa's friend. And Lisa naturally reacts harshly over this betrayal.

Secondly, the emotion rings true and doesn't come off as forced or hollow (see the last two Season 27 episodes). The one drawback on her end being that this is too tidily resolved.

Marge's characterization in this episode still leaves a lot to be desired, though (the first half of Pay Pal is pretty much unwatchable)... and continues the theme of insecurity that runs prevalent in those other episodes along with Season 16's She Used to Be My Girl and last week's Lisa With an 'S'. We're still waiting for a decent Marge/Lisa episode... hopefully How Lisa Got Her Marge Back will step up and deliver.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    The short answer is that given the litany of awful Lisa episodes that kicks off Season 22 (Elementary School Musical, Loan-a Lisa, MoneyBART), THIS seemed like an improvement. Hence why it managed a solid 4/5 score consensus. Classic case of grading on a curve. Does it deserve it? Hell no. You're completely right to decry Joel H. Cohen.

There are two things about Pay Pal that, while still flawed, make it work slightly better than Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life, The Daughter Also Rises or the litany of other half-assed Marge/Lisa conflict stories we've been dealt of late.

First off, Lisa's characterization is pretty much on point. Of course, she has less time to screw things up given that her subplot is only seriously explored in the second half of the episode. Her reactions make sense. She makes a friend in Tumi. They hang out and share an incalculable number of shared common interests. Bart smells a rat and spies on them. Presents Lisa with the intel that Marge has PAID Tumi to be Lisa's friend. And Lisa naturally reacts harshly over this betrayal.

Secondly, the emotion rings true and doesn't come off as forced or hollow (see the last two Season 27 episodes). The one drawback on her end being that this is too tidily resolved.

Marge's characterization in this episode still leaves a lot to be desired, though (the first half of Pay Pal is pretty much unwatchable)... and continues the theme of insecurity that runs prevalent in those other episodes along with Season 16's She Used to Be My Girl and last week's Lisa With an 'S'. We're still waiting for a decent Marge/Lisa episode... hopefully How Lisa Got Her Marge Back will step up and deliver.
    It got good reviews because it was a great episode.

Bart is being a prank show-off. Meh. He just tries too hard nowadays
    Bart and Dennis the Menace(UK) are stuck in eternal youth Hell where they'll be recycling their shtick for eternity.. Thats the price you pay for being too good at something..

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Fakename View Post
    It got good reviews because it was a great episode.
    Jesus Alias, you've got bad taste in episodes.

Well okay, Egg Council Vs Thanksgiving maybe has slightly worse.

EDIT: Goddamn it, change your name. Can't even mention you.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 03-24-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Jesus Alias, you've got bad taste in episodes.

Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life is one of ny favourite HD episodes.
    Mr. Teenie's Best and Worst per season

1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Old Money 3: Homer at the Bat/The Otto Show 4: Last Exit to Springfield/The Front 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets an Elephant 6: Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Home, Sweet Homediddily Dum Doodily/Bart the Fink 8: El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/All Singing, All Dancing 10: Treehouse of Horror IX/When You Dish Upon a Star 11: Treehouse of Horror X/Alone Again, Natura-Diddily 12: Trilogy of Error/A Tale of Two Springfields 13: Treehouse of Horror XII/Gump Roast 14: The Great Louse Detective/Three Gays of the Condo 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Margical History Tour 16: The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never Ending Story/Million Dollar Abie 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple/Kill Gil, Volumes 1 and 2 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/That '90s Show 20: Gone, Maggie, Gone/Dangerous Curves 21: O Brother, Where Bart Thou?/Judge Me Tender 22: Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life/The Fool Monty 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many Splintered Thing 25: The War of Art/Luca$ 26: I Won't Be Home for Christmas/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 For 30/Caper Chase 29: Treehouse of Horror XXVIII/idk tbh

The Simpsons THOH Segment Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Cromulent182 View Post
    I don't think Lenny and Carl are gay, that wouldn't even work since Carl is colored and Lenny isn't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Ned View Post
    Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life is one of my favourite HD episodes.
    Jesus Negative Ned, you've got bad taste in episodes.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 03-24-2016 at 01:20 PM.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

What do you think are the best HD episodes then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Ned View Post
    I think "Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life" is quite underrated and has a nice relationship story with Marge and Lisa. Even the first act doesn't bother me that much.
    I stand by this post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post

While I agree with this, they were some decent episodes in the past (certainly not anywhere in the Jean Era) which exploited some sort of a conflict between Marge and Lisa like Moaning Lisa or Lisa the Skeptic.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@OSS: Can you review The Fight Before Christmas?
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just rewatched Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life, can confirm it is in fact good.

Blog Entries

Mathlete's Feat 4/10

# Kang and Kodos appear among other aliens.
    +/½- Amusing crossover couch gag with Rick and Morty. I liked Flanders being shut up and Bart saying "No more guest animators, man!". However, it could easily have been shortened down one minute.
    + Sign: MATH TOURNAMENT - GOOD SEATS WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE
    ½+ Half-chuckleworthy joke with Nelson driving over to there just to punch a nerd.
    + Kinda funny bit where it looks like Homer is laughing a math joke when it's just a dog's head stuck inside a box.
    ? Eh, don't get the right angle joke.
    + Homer's nerd friends briefly appear. Their appearance is nice even though it's not exactly hilarious.
    - Their laughs is pretty weak this time around.
    + Frink: "All right, just calm down, calm down." I like how they are no nerdy it's too much even for Frink.
    +/- "MATH? I thought you said meth!" "DRUG REFERENCE!" The joke would have been more effective if they just cut immediately to the audience. The third sentence was needless overexplaining.
    -- A production logo saying CHALMSKIN appears. I'm tired of the writers trying to make Skinner and Chalmers best friends!
    - Wow, that Michael Bay bit was not funny at all.
    ½+ Okay, that the educational film was written by Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci (behind Transformers) was sorta, slightly clever.
    ½- The Stephen Hawking joke with him supplying someone of the equations was a little too obvious though.
    # Despite having Lisa on the team, they didn't win.
    ½- Homer: "A child crying is worse than child-actor-where-are-they-now stories." Meh.
    + Skinner throws out the old projector, which lands on Willie.
    # The cover of Miss Hoover's book: Tenure For The Night
    -- A montage with new technology being installed in the school... Sigh. It's not even the technology I'm upset about, it's the fact that we have another montage!
    - Skinner shreds all the old books just because they now have new technology. Wow. That's pretty stupid.
    -- A Game Of Thrones reference, the least funny kind of TV reference jokes.
    + The stupid technology now stops working. Thank God, was about time.
    + The powers go out everywhere except for in Mr. Burns' mansion. "Was that us?" "No, sir." "I like when it's not us."

This episode is really boring. Does it even have a plot?

- Miss Hoover uses her hand as a speaker, which should be funny. But the execution is too poor to make it work.
    -½ The students in another class get marshmallows instead of regular keyboard to type on. It turns it this is Nelson's only dinner and he forms "STEAK" with the letter because get it?! HE'S HAVING STEAK! AHAHAHA! Aha... ha... Yawn.
    - Wow, you know this episode is bad when not even Willie can make me laugh.
    - Skinner and Chalmers acting like idiots when Lisa comes up with an idea isn't funny either. I really don't like when Chalmers sinks to Skinner's level.
    - Sigh. Doris' new voice is just not the same.
    - Lisa asks a bunch of random questions for fun, Ralph says something stupid. M-E-H. I. Don't. Care.
    + Abraham is upset over his changed type of water, which his father raised all his dead 11 siblings on. THANK YOU, Abe! Finally something I think was funny!
    ½- "Well, I'm not wearing a hat. People might think I'm bald!" Once again, M-E-H. Bart's a stupid jerk, Lisa's a vegetarian, Homer's bald... I get it, okay? Stop recycling the same old tired gags, because if you do it too often, IT STOPS BEING FUNNY.
    # Homer stands up and starts singing, then decides to put his hat on after all. Yeah.
    + Homer mistaking the musician Beethoven for Beethoven the good was funny though.
    - Willie does math and Bart makes Chalmers crash his car. I STILL DON'T CARE. Jesus, I wish this episode would end already!
    + I liked however that Willie knew exactly at which angle the egg was thrown at though.
    ⅓+ Kind of...? ... amusing with Bart getting Database's glasses and Database being without glasses so they can't see?
    # Back to the math tournament. Christ, about time!
    + Squeaky-Voiced Teen wants advice on which college to go to, but is disappointed with the answer. For some reason I chuckled at his "Okay..."
    ⅓- Luigi is upset over Bart's comment about Italian captains. Hmm... Okay.
    ? A whole lot of math jokes I don't get. Only someone like @pkkwanzaa will laugh at this.
    -- Two montages in an episode again?? Jesus.
    + Someone is so stressed out he has a heart attack.
    + Frink's way of explaining the last math problem was a good classic moment from him.
    + Bart solved the problem by looking at Homer's M hair, haha.
    ? Lisa talks like a drunk after drinking Mountain Dew. That's a very odd joke.
    + Willie's tool was not for math, but for killing sheep even more painfully.
    - It for no reason whatsoever ends with the family playing instruments and looking like hillbillies. Marge starts looking angrily at Maggie and then is mad when Homer falls down...? The fuck was that?

For a change, I decided to review an episode which was positively received. But this was not a good episode at all.
    It starts off... you know, fine. Nothing great, but watchable. It quickly gets worse though. The Michael Bay bit is dumb and poorly executed satire. For someone so easy to make fun of, they sure didn't do a good job with it. Then as soon as the school gets new technology, the episode becomes piss-poor BORING. I'm so bored that as I continue watching, I feel more and more like a lobotomized monkey with no choice but to watch crappy new Simpsons. Then when the technology malfunctions, the episode still doesn't get better. Instead of tired jokes about technology, there are tired jokes about the terrible school budget. Seriously, there have been TONS of low-budget jokes in the show lately (pun not intended, but still fits to the show's overally quality, I guess), so many that the satire feels beaten to the ground. Like a dead horse. Like the show overall. There have always been those kind of jokes yes, but they weren't that constant!
    Aside of the math tournament, this episode is just same ol', same ol'. Same dull jokes, same random unfunny unconnected segments, but here there are not only bad jokes. There are jokes so uncreative that they are neither bad nor good, they are just... there.
    Don't believe the good reviews, Mathlete's Feat is a total snorefest.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 03-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Blog Entries

lol @pkkwanzaa youve been nerdshamed

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glass-Decorated Christmas Tree View Post
    Your formatting choices make reading your post a very trying exercise.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jim

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

For some reason I thought you reviewed this episode month ago. Anyways about this episode being positively recieved, it's actually the complete opposite. This episode is mostly considered average on here and it only has a small fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

Replaceable You 5/10

+ Couch gag's all right.
    ½+ I'm not quite sure why, but for some reason this Itchy & Scratchy short is not that funny. I tolerate it.
    ¾+ Bart rude comment "Planet Fisteriod Hitting Planet Nerd" turned out to actually be a real science project. The joke works, but it's nothing big.
    - Milhouse has intentionally kissed a dog 5 times?! The hell?
    # A daydream of Martin is another hint of him being gay.
    -- Now we actually get to see Milhouse try to kiss his dog again. UGH! Just awful!
    - A bland one-timer is introduced.
    + Homer keeps getting compliments about the way he laughs, which makes him act weirder and weirder. Kinda amusing, I guess.
    + The overhead shot of Bart and Martin working looks good.
    # Santa's Little Helper is dressed as Darth Vader and Homer gets scared by it. This reviewer does not care.
    # Bender is being seen on a magazine cover to Popular Robotics.
    # Homer is attacked by Bart and Martin's pet robot, which I find meh. What's interesting is the odd cut to Marge shaving her leg in the bathroom. We saw her shower earlier, so this implies only an hour at most has passed. How did they manage to build the robot so quickly?
    + Nelson's project is The Science Of Why Are You Hitting Yourself?. I found that pretty funny.
    # Chalmers is BALD!?
    +½ Bart's pet robot becoming comfort for Jasper was a genuinely heartwarming moment. We need more stuff like this, folks!
    ++ Bart gets his Homer Humiliator funded, and we get the great Homer line "Why would a Homer humiliator do this to me?".
    ++ Sign: Paul Flart: Water Park Cop - WRITTEN IN A WEEK! I hate Kevin James, so that was priceless!
    + The actual movie itself being parodied... Not really as funny, but still liked it.
    - Burns tells Homer he's been downgraded. He saying "Don't tell my wife!" with Marge just beside him was just dumb.
    - Milhouse took a picture of Bart while he was sleeping? What the hell is wrong with this kid???
    ? Why is Abraham and Old Jewish Man asking for heroine??
    +/- The old residents continuing to live being bad is becoming the subplot? I don't know whether to chuckle or cringe.
    -½ I'm quite buying Jane Lynch's character. The transformation from nice to somber is too rushed to work.
    -- Did they just kill off Alice Glick?! Noooooooooooo!
    + Dr. Nick gets a good line. "The champion was ready to fight!" "Doctor, this press conference is about a nursing home death."
    -- Frink cancels a date with a woman who apparently is deeply in love with him. This is... This is really not funny.
    - I also do in general not care for this unoriginal teddy-bears-turn-evil plot. Grift Of The Magi, anyone?
    - It turns out the woman Homer's having trouble with, Ned saw in a vine. Uuuuuuuh... What??
    ++ Homer reveals to Ned "stones" is slang for balls, which makes him faint. Stupid as it is, it made me laugh.
    -½ The flashback with him explaining why Lynch's character went nuts is poor. She went crazy over being hugged??! That's idiotic!
    ++ Homer starts worshipping Ned like Jesus, which of course makes him uncomfortable.
    ++ Frink insists on keeping the NAMBLA shortation. Heh.
    - Chief Wiggum calling 911 for help is too retarded even for being him.
    +½ Him letting Snake out when he gives puppy dog eyes was really funny though.
    + Mr. Burns tells the audience he bought a trophy with their tax money.
    + "What the deuce? Sarcastic clapping?"
    --- Okay, what just happened?!?! Homer tells people to hug Lynch, which Mr. Burns decides to do. She turns into a lizard monster or something, and is fired. Are you kidding me??????
    -- Homer gets his head stuck in the trophy, which is definitely not funny.
    -- The subplot is resoluted by everybody at the retirement home dancing. Yeah, that most certainly made this episode worse.

There are as usual some jokes which completely miss (that joke with Frink's date was godawful, I really hated it), but the humor department is not what I took issue with this time. In fact, I gotta say there was a surprising amount of jokes I laughed at. Yes, laughed at! Who woulda thunk it? I mean, they even made a movie parody which didn't suck! If we are talking about the jokes, I have positive things to say. When it comes to the plot on the other hand... there are a lot of problems. The biggest flaw is that Jane Lynch's character (I can't even remember the name) is so underdeveloped that you feel like they didn't even try. Why is she angry with Homer? She literally gave him permission to go away from work for a while, and now she's suddenly an asshole since she decided to report him. This might have worked, maybe just might... IF THE WRITERS WOULD HAVE BOTHERED GIVING SOME GROUND TO THEIR RELATIONSHIP! Homer getting in trouble is rushed, and the only hint we get at why she's so horrible is because Ned hugged her. And that makes no sense. Has she never been hugged or something? She's probably at least freakin' 40, so how is that possible?! We are not stupid... (looks at the credits), Stephanie Gillis! You can't feed us shit and expect us to eat it! The way she was fired as well was terrible. First of all, I thought Ned was supposed to come and help? Secondly, it's... FUCKED UP. It sucks! I can't believe that a freaking HUG was the conflict resolution! Just wow. The subplot has been done before and is poorly paced. We get a few minutes with residents cuddling with the robot pets, then the pets becoming uncuddly, then quickly cuddly again. Honestly, the episode would have benefited without this completely unnecessary plot, since more time being devoted to Homer and Lynch's relationship could have improved the story. But sadly, that is not the case.
    Jokes are fine (for the most part), sometimes even funny not only by HD Simpsons standards. Unfortunately, the storyline is so badly written that I can just think about all the flaws and almost forget the good parts. In the end, it's another crummy season 23 offering.

Whoa, I just realized this is the first review of the year! I've been slacking off.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 03-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Whoa, I just realized this is the first review of the year! I've been slacking off.
    What about Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles?

Blog Entries

For this thread, I mean. I haven't reviewed that many episodes outside of that one either though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    -- Did they just kill off Alice Glick?! Noooooooooooo!
    She has actually appeared in various episodes since.
    Anyway, Glad to see you're back to reviewing again! Good as ever.
    One thing i do think you should improve is that you should stop being so specific with plusses. First there was the 1/2 plusses, now we get quarters of a plus.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

How about a review of Kill Gill when you get the chance?

man, Jane Lynch really does get type cast often doesn't she? I mean she plays a tough as nails character here and she played one on Glee (the funny thing is, the Cleveland Show had her guest star and had no idea how big glee would end up becoming at the time)

Blog Entries

Time for a re-watch again. Is this episode still "just okay" or is it even worse now?

The Food Wife 6/10

# No couch gag.
    - Bad voice acting by Kavner when Marge rewards her kids.
    ¾+ Bart and Lisa imitating Homer's drool sound was cute. However, why didn't Homer actually drool?
    - Lame list game where the camera sloooooooowly pans to make sure we read all of it. Listen, modern writers: There's a PAUSE BUTTON!
    + Bart finishes a game which supposedly would take hours to complete... in seconds.
    + Homer simulating a game when he's gonna take Bart and Lisa home is pretty creative and one of the more successful parodies.
    - Homer and the kids are bouncing on balls labeled Ziihop. Ugh. This gag makes an unwelcomed return later on.
    + "How about we roll pennies and go to the dime store?!" "That's good, Marge. Get all the terrible ideas out of your head!"
    ½- Marge calls Bart and Lisa a "gang", which pisses them off. Eh, I... I don't know. It's not really funny, but I wouldn't say it's a terrible joke.
    +½ Marge eats something she has never tried before, which makes a bunch of Marge taste buds appear in her mouth.
    - "It's authentic, vegetarian, I could mention it in a college essay... This is amazing!" Meh. Not a fan of shoehorning Lisa's character.
    + "Relax, Homer. Have some galalalala!" Okay, I don't think anyone wouldn't be creeped out by hearing that.
    - The way the HD era starts up plots... Jesus. Here it's pretty much "Food is good! Hey, food blog!".
    + Homer overeats and dies, but is saved by his ghost so he can continue eating more. What a pathetic weird fatso.
    -- There's a typical stupid montage showing how great food blogging is. Seriously, how lazy can you get?! Is it so freakin' hard to just write some actual dialogue for when they continue trying out food? This makes the next turn in the plot where Homer wants to lure the kids back to him seem rushed. "Hope you enjoyed that montage while we now do a crappy job at progressing the plot!"
    + Bart eats mustache snacks.
    +/- Homer is sad Lisa and Bart don't wanna hang out with him anymore. Which is funny to an extent, but is a little overdone.
    ++ Homer makes baseball bats when he's sad. Okay, that's actually really funny.
    - Homer's now immediately a food dad. The way this plot moves forward is awful.
    - Marge is now dreaming and everyone follows Homer's lead... bouncing on balls. If I didn't like this joke the first time, I sure won't now either!
    ½+/- Unfortunately, the Gordon Ramsay sequence is not as good as I remembered. I mean, Ramsay swearing at Marge and demanding better from her... It's a pretty hilarious idea in theory, but the execution is fairly underwhelming and is also an incredibly forced attempt at giving Marge something to think about. Ramsy waking up from his dream saying "What the bloody hell was that?" was somewhat amusing though, hence the half plus.
    -- Marge sends Homer to East Oak Street instead of West Oak Street. Oh, so now she's not just fairly jealous, she's an asshole. For God's sake, does she even know where exactly she sent him?
    #/- The other guests are served pork chops while Lisa gets something else. But what is it? They are not telling us!
    +½ Cletus and Brandine with their kids wanted to go to the meth resturant, but are too late. Cletus saying he always looked her "home-cooked" better anyway is near-hilarious.
    - Marge saves Homer with her food, but we never hear her tell him she was wrong. Even though she said she would do it. You're a liar, Marge. A LIAR! YOU SON OF A...!
    ½+ A quick Ratatouille parody follows when Marge makes a criminal eat the odd desert she was given. Kinda.. Just kinda chuckleworthy.
    + I like Marge and Homer's taste buds meeting when kissing.
    -- The awful montage song from earlier is also played in the end credits.

Well, I re-watched it aaaaaand...

Shockingly, I actually have the exact same opinion, which is a rarity when it comes to HD episodes! It's still a "just okay" episode. Definitely breaks the streak of downright garbage I've reviewed here, but still doesn't amount up to a good one. Let's see what was fine with it at first. The jokes... were not bad. A few of them really hit, especially Homer making baseball bats when depressed. There is a shortage of fun visual gags like that, so it was nice to see. Homer himself also wasn't characterized as unlikeable. Sure he tried to steal attention from Marge, but he didn't feel like a jerk as much as he was just acting childish. Also, there is no subplot, so there's nothing unnecessary which detracts from the main story (I'm saying this because new episodes don't even know you can have a fun subplot which doesn't feel wasted or takes over the entire episode). The kids are all right too, they are... kids, for once. I mean, there is a cringeworthy joke where Lisa's acting a bit too pretentious like "AAAH, FOOD THAT CAN BETTER MY GRADES!", but other than that I didn't mind her. Bart eating mustache snacks was speaking of visual gags another good one.
    But The Food Wife has some serious problems, and the first one of them is the execution of the plot. Matt Selman (who wrote it) doesn't balance the conflict between Homer and Marge well. It just goes back-and-forth with the two of them in a way that feels odd and unnatural. Marge also misleading Homer to another street doesn't make any sense. Why would she do that when they both are going to a food tasting place? If both Homer and Marge were going to do the same thing, shouldn't that mean Bart and Lisa will think they both are, uuhm... whatchacallit... "fun parents"? The fact that Marge doesn't even try this and just go "OH, GO TO THIS UNKNOWN FUCKING STREET!" instead of at least telling how she's not onboard makes her come off as unsympathetic. And while I'm not too sure how well I got this across, it's incredibly boring as well. It's simply... boring talk about food. I know this episode satirizes people who are acting all artsy when it comes to food, but... I don't care. It's such an uninteresting storyline you need to make it a laugh riot to make it work, and that unfortunately isn't the case here. If you think a plot about the family trying out different kinds of food sounds meh... You will indeed find this episode exactly that.
    It's not part of season 23's huge pile of cow shit, it's just an episode that's... there.

yes the Food Wife is still one of the better episodes from the season where I stopped watching halfway through. I mean if I wasn't such a picky eater I'd be a foodie too, it's just a shame that half-way through the episode it turned into a Marge is being a jerk moment

Blog Entries

I’d like to see a review of The Way We Weren’t.

oh yes, that was the lowest rated episode at the time before the title was taken by Any Given Sundance, then Mona Leaves-a

Blog Entries

The Kid Is All Right 1/10

+ Couch gag's all right.
    -- The episode opens terribly with Lisa establishing the plot right away with how oh-so-lonely she is and needs a friend... by a song. Groan.
    -- Willie takes a self portrait with his hay girlfriend. COME ON NOW, this is stupid.
    + Only good joke is the composer of Lisa's song dying of a heart attack at Valentine's Day.
    ? Did Willie just say "shit" uncensored?
    # The "real Skinner" makes a silent cameo.
    -- "A spitball? Well, at least I'm getting some attention."
    - Bart chases Lisa with his spitballs, then is chased away like a cat. Keep this great humor up, Tim Long!!!
    # Maggie makes a dough Gerald which she crushes. Well.. At least it's not part of the awful, awful Maggald love they've done in recent episodes. However, this alone is not enough to warrant a plus point.
    +¾ Homer contemplating eating the M&M despite what has happened to it was actually really funny.
    -- Mr. Bergstrom apparently has showed up and Marge says to him she'll tell Lisa later on he visited. Okay, this joke is just horribly horrendous for 3 reasons:
    1. Why did they randomly bring the character back for this stupid joke?
    2. Can't Marge just tell Lisa "Mr. Bergstrom is here!" right away?? Why would she do something so stupid like telling her afterwards when she knows how much he means to him?
    3. If he doesn't even care about seeing her, why did he come over to the house in the first place??? To see Marge?
    --- Lisa's all "Oh no, my friend doesn't share my views! I hate her now!". It now begins...
    # The only thing I care about with the "Ay carumba" joke is that I now finally understand why Bart got slapped in Simpsons Comics #65 when he uttered the phrase in Argentina (as Isabel in this episode is from Argentina too).
    - Homer comes up to the attic when Lisa and Marge are discussing and starts singing. Not funny.
    - He strangles Bart so hard he becomes unconscious. Also not funny.
    - Lisabel are going through political phases, according to their parents (I know I could have just said Lisa and Isabel, but I really like the sound of Lisabel).
    -- They are spied on by the Springfield Republican Party??? What the fuck? Have they spied on every single student to make sure who has the right political views????
    - Ralph doesn't even know his last name anymore?? Jesus Christ, just kill off this character already.
    -- The Springfield Republicans try to get Isabel to join them. Seriously, is this a joke?!
    + They fail to bribe her with a wheelbarrow of ice cream.
    + Mr. Burns get on a magazine cover as the "Sexiest Man Alive".
    -- Wait, we see Smithers escorting Isabel shortly after. I thought she couldn't be bought???
    -- Nancy Cartwright's delivery of "my psychatrist" is so painful, and the joke it goes along with isn't very good either.
    -/+ Joke with Lisa as drunk was bad (and it makes no sense either), but Maggie banning her from coming back was amusing.
    --- Lisa now uses Bart to try and win the election, with the unfunniest jokes you can imagine.
    -- We get a drinking joke with Bart as well, which is even worse. He says to a stuffed pig it will look good when he's drunk. WHAT?
    - Bland Skinner/Chalmers banter. Listen up, writers: you know they are only funny when there's a conflict underneath, right???
    --- Lisa makes a "Why I'm a liberal" speech. Wow, what a piece of sublety there. Great "satire"!
    - I thought Lisa didn't like Bill Clinton?
    --- That really pointless stupid dream managed to convince Lisa she doesn't care who wins the election. Uuuuuh... okay, then???
    -- And she's still sad about losing the election either way...
    --- You know that pig Bart saw earlier? IT'S HIS PARTNER NOW! YEP, A FUCKING STUFFED PIG!!!
    ---100 Lisa learns the school supports her ideas, just not her, which she's very happy about. I, uuuhm... I... I don't know what to say. This is one of the worst episode endings in the series.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
    HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
    If you weren't convinced already, I mean 100% convinced, that Lisa's character has gotten to the point of beyond redemption... watch this episode. Because this... This is her absolute worst characterization of the whole show. Here, she was so selfish, so obnoxious, so incredibly preachy, that I wanted to hit her in the face. I mean, I know she has had a political mind since early on. Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, for example. Now, I don't really like that episode, I still found it a little too preachy. But is it better than this one? By miles. The reason is that you can still root for Lisa, she is actually fighting for a big cause. And the satire is pretty good as well. Compare that episode to The Kid Is All Right, where she is participating in a school election with the shittiest most boring speeches ever, and she can't be friends with someone just because she's a Republican. Last time I checked, I didn't cancel friendships automatically because my pals have some different views. I mean, fuck. Also, compare the election to the subplot in Lisa's Substitute. There, it was just good ol' whimsical Simpsons fun. It didn't take itself too seriously. But here, we get debates with pretty literally no jokes and no real satire, just the writers shitting out their views. I'm sick of this, okay? I'm so sick of this. If you're gonna tell your audience what you think, MAKE IT FUNNY. MAKE IT FUNNY FOR CRYIN' OUT FUCKIN' LOUD. Where was the comedy??? What was I supposed to laugh at?! WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS HEAP OF PROPAGANDA BULLSHIT I'VE BEEN WATCHING?!
    Suck my dick Tim Long, all right?
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-22-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Argentina? they were in a fictional place called Bosqueverde, just because the general's wife kind of resembles Eva Peron doesn 't mean they're in Argentina. I do agree that this episode was a turnoff I really hate political episodes

Also in Lisa's Sub there was no party platform, neither Bart nor Martin had political affiliations

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Strange, I remember hating this episode, but I can't really remember why beyond the fact that it wasn't funny and had some terrible political satire... and that this show should stop attempting political satire because they can't pull it off anymore and this show hasn't had a good political episode (Excluding guilty pleasures like The Bart Mangled Banner or Coming to Homerica.) since... Jesus, Mr. Spritz Goes To Washington. Wow, it really has been that long.

Blog Entries

"Lisa having a problem with her new friend because she's a republican" is honestly one of the dumbest ideas for a conflict on this show. Why exactly is it a huge problem that Isabel has different political beliefs then Lisa, and why does Lisa even care so much? Lisa's only a little kid! Lisa (and I guess Isabel) is supposed to be a young 8 year old girl that happens to be very bright for her age, but the writers keep treating her and writing her like she's in her 20's-30's. Then the other Republicians are actually obsessed with getting Isabel to join them and there's serious political debates in a school election...again, these are little kids! Am I supposed to be taking any of this seriously? And the 'political satire' is just a simplistic 'liberals good, Republican Party bad' message. And the moment where Lisa talks about how she's proud of being a liberal during the school debates was awful, because she goes on about how being a liberal means to share what the unfortunate...except what she's describing isn't liberalism, it's socialism. The writers couldn't even bother to look up with being a liberal actually means, so now Lisa comes off as a moron who doesn't even knows or understands what she's talking about. Also, most of the jokes were bad.

The couch gag was cute though, even if they did kind of ruin it by having musical instrument Homer show up in the random joke ending for no reason.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-24-2016 at 10:59 AM.

"The Simpsons are going to the gutter" I re watch and review shitty and unseen episodes

Its mine. I had the opportunity to buy it, and I did. Id been speaking with Anthony about these since prior to the LV1, and asked him a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago if I might have a shot at buying a prototype. Big Anthony gave him the go-ahead to release one into the wild, and I pounced. The rest are going to employees and business partners from what I was told.

Thread Information