Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

This kind of makes me wish that Flanders would be retired.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Super Franchise Me 4/10

- Pretty overrated couch gag. There's nothing really special about it and the animation is really ugly.
    - Rod's voice sounds off.
    + TOM SELLECK MUSTACHE TRIMMER
    + It turns out a Flanderism is actually the name of the freezer.
    --- Hahaha, okay? That was the lamest lead-in to a main plot ever!
    ? This montage is weird. What the hell is going on?
    - That sound Santa's Little Helper makes really just screams "Stop! Stop!". That's just too creepy.
    - Bart's voice sounds awful when he says "Mom! Dad's imagining us as food again!".
    -- So whenever Lisa's feeling depressed, she vents to Maggie? Just... ugh, what the hell.
    + "Flanders isn't perfect!" "Yeah, and never aimed to be." "Yeah, and aren't." Finally I chuckled at least. The jokes have been either meh or bad so far.
    - A woman pops out of nowhere and asks Marge if she'd like to start a sandwich business. Not to mention she is yet another less funny version of Lindsay Naegle. Lazy, lazy writing.
    - That joke with Homer just drinking and drinking soda was very awkwardly directed. Instead of having the flashback fill the screen as the show usually does, it just shows it in a small bubble while Homer is blinking. Then we see a frozen Homer for about three seconds when the flashback is over. Weird.
    - Very cheesy moment when Marge stops Teeny from smashing the counter by giving him a sandwich.
    - "A SANDWICH IS WHEN BREAD GIVES MEAT A HUG". Goddamn it, just... knock it off with the lame jokes.
    +/- This Gil moment was less cringeworthy than most of the ones in the Jean era. I kinda liked how dark he went with telling about how his father committed suicide, but his line "Corpse suit" was completely unnecessary.
    - Shauna appearing is never a good thing.
    + Frink trying to avoid his usual noises is the only real laugh I've gotten so far.
    + "I'm worried I'll slip!". Christ, it's amazing how the censors didn't pick up on that one.
    + For some reason I found it sorta funny how Marge slapped Homer awake.
    Okay, maybe the episode will stop being as excruciatingly dull now.
    - Shauna again. Never mind my previous statement!
    - Eh, that was one of the weaker FOX stabs.
    - Thank God, Shauna is fired. I don't know how much longer I could have put up with her.
    + It turns out Gil's chicken legs are his... real legs...
    + Gil forcefully tries to join in on the family bonding.
    - And now he's unfunny again.
    -/+ Uncreative sandwich montage is slightly saved by a good song.
    - One of Cletus' kids has a pig's tail...
    - What could have been a good Abraham moment is ruined by a stupid pun.
    -- Oh come on, not even Burns is that stupid! Am I supposed to believe he thinks a sandwich mascot is a real woman? He'd have to be high on ether.
    ++ "Sorry you died! Put the body with the others." Ah, we got a classic Burns line at least.
    - Marge is horrified Homer lost weight. That's funn- uuuuhm... uuuuuh... No wait, what the hell?
    + I liked how Homer's pants are pulled up automatically when horrified.
    ? "With our busy lifestyle, we gotta have Express!" ?????????
    - That Lenny and Carl then are quiet for a moment doesn't make the joke less awkward either.
    -- Good fucking God, MacNeille's voice acting is horrible.
    - That Homer disguise joke could have been good but just turned into very lame slapstick instead.
    -- Marge's "Hear, hear!" sounds horrendous!
    -- I gotta say, I didn't expect a follow up to the joke with Mr. Burns. AND DIDN'T WANT ONE EITHER!
    * The only clever joke in the Sandwich Origins bit was the meta (Annoyed Grunt), and even that wasn't funny enough to give it one plus.

You know those episodes playing it so safe that it gets on your nerves? This is one of those episodes. What the hell were they thinking? This episode had such a writer's block feeling that it feels like they in the end just went "Screw it, an uninspired episode is better than no episode at all".
    The general conception is that this plot was too similar to The Twisted World Of Marge Simpson, and even that episode wasn't very good. But I disagree. While the concept is almost the same, Twisted not only has a much more logical and better lead-up to the main plot (Marge being outcast by the group and deciding to just follow her dream) but is also a whole lot more creative. They take a very stock plot and actually manages to make it funny. And it's not only funny, but they make it so hilariously over-the-top and absurd that the result is an actually hilarious episode.
    This episode on the other hand didn't even try. It's a very standard plot introduced in the dullest way possible: Homer takes out meat from Flanders' freezer and Marge decides to use it for sandwiches. It almost borders on self-parody, that's how bad it is. And when Marge opens the store, what happens?
    NOTHING!!! FUCKING NOTHING!
    There's no real conflict since Marge never interacts with Cletus even once. She also doesn't really change up ingredients or try to give him a piece of her mind, but instead just gives up and drinks at Moe's. It doesn't happen much at the sandwich restaurant itself either. I would even say it happens so little that it's downright ridiculous. I don't feel much of a "Hell yeah, let's make sandwiches!" vibe or even a "Oh no, we failed" vibe since this episodes is so poorly written it never even does a half-assed job making us feel sorry for Marge or giving a shit about the fuckin' resturant.
    That the jokes are mostly boring as hell doesn't help either, not to mention that damn, this is really not Julie Kavner's moment. Pretty much the majority of the episode is some of the worst voice acting from her I've ever seen. You can't help but feel sorry for her when she's forced to do the same challenging raspy voice over and over again for freakin' 28 years.
    The only real reason I don't give this piece of shit the lowest rating possible is because it's too goddamn forgettable to even think about for more than two seconds.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-22-2016 at 04:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Yeah, Super Franchise Me is Super Despicable... Me. A very forgetteable episode with a not very interesting story.

Can I do a request for your next review ?

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Yeah, I hated this as well. Most tedious episode ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Can I do a request for your next review ?
    I always take requests, it's just that it sometimes might take very long before I review that particular episode.
    Which one did you have in mind?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpit View Post

I always take requests, it's just that it sometimes might take very long before I review that particular episode.
    Which one did you have in mind?
    Well, since I know you're a huge fan of season 23, I think you will adore to review Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson after reviewing masterpieces such as Lisa Goes Gaga, Moe Goes from Rags to Riches, THOH XXII and The D'oh-cial Network.

Thanks in advance !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Well, since I know you're a huge fan of season 23, I think you will adore to review Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson
    Oh Jesus Christ, that's such a boring episode!
    Fine, I will do it sooner or later

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Telso

Blog Entries

Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson 1/10

# The couch gag seems to parody something. Sherlock Holmes books?
    - "The only thing I've waited in line this long for is cell phones." Another classic technology joke by Al Jean.
    ? Why should Homer not pack down his high school year books?
    -- "Now, if I fart, that's because I'm so relaxed." Sorry, but fart jokes in The Simpsons will pretty much always be out-of-place!
    - Why did I used to think the airport service act was funny? Unoriginal satire can be funny if pulled off right, but every joke is very by-the-numbers and not clever. In fact, the "You can look at other people through the window making fun of us" was so painfully obvious that it makes this even less funnier than it already is. Certainly not awful, but kinda dumb.
    -- "If you're watching this episode on the airport, the airline depicted is not the one you're on." Are you freakin' kidding me? That is almost as the "Mmmmmm, that's good satire!" line in Special Edna which ruined the whole goddamn joke. Pointing out directly to the audience that this is satire instead of letting us think for ourselves is insulting.
    -/+ Homer ranting about the airport was not funny at all, only "Never putting me next to a pretty girl" followed by Marge grunting was the only slightly amusing moment.
    -- Homer continues ranting about the airport, in form of a godawful Braveheart parody. Now it's not even bad satire anymore... It's just boring rambling.
    - Bart uploads Homer's rant to YouTube (which he apparently filmed) with him reading aloud several tags he will add. Please, what in the hell is supposed to make me laugh here?
    # "You say what we don't have the bones to say!" Yep, a Sideshow Mel pun, referring to the bones in his hair. Neutral on this one.
    -/+ Now this show "attempts" to parody a typical Comedy Central-esque News Report show. They are not doing a good job. Only amusing thing was the actual use of the headbutt (as the show was called) but then it was allowed by... whateverhisnamewas, making out with a female next to him. They've did this kind of "random-sexual-attraction" joke so often that it's fucking stupid.
    -- Now we have to hear more of Homer's ranting, even unfunnier than it was the first time around. Seriously, none of them qualifies as jokes! It just feels like the writers grunting and screaming "THIS IS WHAT PISSES US OFF!" It's dull, dull, dull. And "Nash... I'm scared. Find me a rich husband." was a terrible joke to end this with too. "Find me a rich husband"? What? WHAT????!!
    - "Now I regret badmouthing to that girl you like." Goddamn it, Homer. Just because your son is embarrassed of you, you have to say shit about him in front of his crush? You are a dick.
    - "Brilliant" lampooning of democrats.
    - Ah yes, the classic Tress MacNeille voice.
    -- We get the first glimpse of "Gut Check With Homer Simpson". And it's horrendous. Hahaha, he is upset over the word "soccer"? This makes me miss Jon Stewart on The Daily Show more than ever. If this was a real show, the ratings would be low as hell.
    + "Isn't it weird how much he's crying?"
    -- Homer says "This is going great" with a whisper voice. Why does he do that?!
    - "They know I'm doing a character!" Uuuh, okay? Do you even know what kind of show you are doing? The opinions of those people are real, they just present them in a funny way. You are... an idiot.
    --- FUCK! The unbearable gravy act kicks into gear!
    --- Homer puts a gravy boat on his head and everybody else starts doing the same... This makes very much sense. This is an appropriate way to continue the episode. Yes. I'd go as far as to say it's hilarious.
    Hahahahahaha!
    No, you know what?
    THIS IS FUCKING SHIT! THIS IS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT!
    --- I hate that Homer gets so have so ridiculously much influence in politics in this episode. This man is a retarded, fat clueless bozo. Why in the mother of Fucksville do people take anything he says seriously???
    +/- Chris Christy (whoever the hell he is) immediately after being suggested by Homer dying on an heart attack made me chuckle I suppose, but the Obama Care stab was lame as hell.
    - And we are introduced to some classic Ted Nugent jokes...
    + "The only thing left-handed about me is the way I write!"
    ? "Ah that's fine, as long as you're not a mormon!" I don't get it.
    --- Homer's dream is excruciating! The fourth president takes him away and Homer then reads the constitution. He then wakes up and is shocked over how politics are serious and important. The problem is, Homer wouldn't even be that interested in politics in the first place! And if he isn't, what the fuck is he doing with his own satirical news show?
    --- So it was not even a real dream? How the FUCK does this plot twist make sense???!!!
    --- "I... am full of crap." "I always knew, dad! I always knew!" *starts crying* What the hell is up with Lisa? She's being so ridiculously overdramatic that she's a pain in the ass to listen to.
    -- How is this a legitimate parody of Ted Nugent?

The whole episode can be summed up like this: Homer was bitching like a madman. That's the only thing he did and the more he did it, the higher his ego was boosted. I hated the guts out of him in this episode. I wouldn't say he's a jerk, since that's not really the right way to describe it, but he was utterly obnoxious. Say what you want about When You Dish Upon A Star, but at least he's funny in that episode. Here, everything that comes out of his mouth is cringeworthy and he doesn't have a single funny line in the whole episode. Really, zero. The satire itself... Oh, who am I kidding? It wasn't satire at all! It was just the writing crew voicing their goddamn political views and forgot a crucial element, one you should never leave behind: jokes. Where were they? I couldn't find them. None of Homer's rants seem to have been written to be funny and none of his views were fascinating in the very least. The guest star (Ted Nugent) was also shit and Lisa was being melodramatic times 2000 at the end of the episode. Okay, I can get he's upset over him partaking in politics when he doesn't know jack shit what it's all about, but the crying? DID SHE REALLY NEED TO FUCKING CRY?!
    It's sad that the best line in the episode was Flanders pointing out he's left-handed. That really goes to show what a sad piece of dreck this episode is.
    There are still worse stinkers in this show, but I can understand 100% why this is @Insanity Pepper's least favorite episode. How could I give this a 6 the first time around, was I high?
    Thanks Dundee for subjecting me to this work of art.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-22-2016 at 04:20 AM.

NO MORE SAGGY DIAPER PAINS!!!
    Blog Entries

Can you review both parts of WSMB, @Snowpit?

Also, would you say that Politically Inept is better or worse than What to Expect WBE?
    Last edited by Jockey Elf Putting Society; 06-28-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    Also, would you say that Politically Inept is better or worse than What to Expect WBE?
    Surprisingly enough it's worse, even though I think What To Expect When Bart's Expecting has the lousier plot.

yeah I won't watch that episode again either. only saw it once and never saw it again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ataeaf View Post
    Can you review both parts of WSMB, @Snowpit?
    Well, this thread is mainly for episodes I haven't seen yet and newer I do have seen but might need to watch again.
    Perhaps I'll review Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part One & Two when I'm done with the episodes I'm catching up with.

Blog Entries

Well, this thread is mainly for episodes I haven't seen yet and newer I do have seen but might need to watch again.
    Perhaps I'll review Who Shot Mr. Burns? Part One & Two when I'm done with the episodes I'm catching up with.
    Plus, WSMB is a good episode. This is a review thread for bad ones.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Junior Camper

I was thinking earlier today about how the show has evolved over its long life to mainly being a fairly bitter satire of domestic life to become a much more good-natured jest about more trivial things such as cruise ship vacations and technology fads. I think it changed because this is what the audience wanted, and in my opinion this is probably the major way in which the show has changed over the years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Plus, WSMB is a good episode. This is a review thread for bad ones.
    Oh...

Well, @Snowpit, can you review Another Simpsons Clip Show, then?

Blog Entries

You should review the Ten-Per-Cent Solution, @Snowpit.

Blog Entries

Opposites A-Frack 2/10

# This is one of the very rare episodes without a couch gag.
    + I liked the mirror gag with some watching hockey.
    + Bart's reaction to Homer kissing his lungs was very amusing.
    + Some good small gags like Patty and Selma stomping their cigarettes on the floor only to have them be in their mouths again, and the fishes dying from the ashes in the aquarium.
    ++ Homer seeing them half-naked and getting so horrified his pupils crack was hilarious.
    - Foreshadowing the classic e-cig subplot in Let's Fly A Coot?
    - "Who needs Paris? This is our city of lights." It's followed by cigarette smoke taking the form of the Eiffel tower. Meh. Dry joke.
    -- So, uuuuuuh... They were literally only there as a half-assed lead-in to the main plot and now that's over? That's stupid!
    -- The Rich Texan dancing joke could have been really funny, but was completely ruined by extremely poor animation!
    -- "Oogle" instead of "Google". Clever...
    + Ah yes, some good ol' evil Mr. Burns.
    + He gives Bart and Lisa balloons saying Junior Fracker.
    The episode is quite boring so far. Where is this going?
    -- Oh man, the lame guest star of the week is introduced...
    -- "Terrible! Shocking! Does anyone have a baby we can hold near the flames?" God, just stop. Stop. Modern Simpsons is horrendous at media satire.
    + Mr. Burns replies "I don't recall." on both questions he's being asked by Lombard, haha.
    --- WHAT?! Mr. Burns randomly falls in love??? Fuck this!
    # Charlie, the seldom-seen power plant employee, talks.
    + Bart being proud of Homer when saying "I'm not screwing you over" several times was oddly funny.
    - The montage with Homer trying to make people frack should have been a helluva lot funnier than it was.
    --- "Judge, judge, judge, judge, judge, judge, judge, judge, judge..." This disastrous excuse for a joke more than anything truly tells us how far the character of Lisa Simpson has fallen.
    + I actually thought it said "Fuck you, Burns" at first and went "Wait, what????". It was "Frack you". Predictable pun, but still made me chuckle.
    --- The plot gets worse. Now Burns not only is in love with Lombard (can't even remember her first name), but he even compliments her insults. Is this how Mr. Burns really is? Rewards other people for lambasting him?! What, I... I... I can't even describe how much THIS PISSES ME OFF! GODDAMN THIS!!!
    + Mr. Frink trying to speak through the loud noise amused me.
    --/+ So how should I react to this? The only reason Burns feels so strongly for Lombard is because of pills??? The hell? At the same time, it was a kind of clever joke. I'm slightly mixed, but mostly it just pisses me off.
    + Poor Lenny. He needed the money for his leg operation.
    +/- I'm relieved Burns finally stops being so ridiculously out-of-character, but the bland and unengaged voice work by Shearer there made the scene lack its punch.
    --- "Our water was on fire." Shut your fucking mouth, Marge!!! Stop talking about the damn water!
    -- Homer is being a real dick when whining about Marge to Burns.
    # Oh yeah, Maxine. That was her name.
    ? I don't get the joke with someone turning on music so that Burns runs away.
    + Ah yes, the well-known Bart & Milhouse 69 frame!
    --- "OUR... WATER... WAS... ON... FIIIIIREEEEE!" Marge, you know how I told you to shut your fucking mouth?
    Well...
    SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!
    Thank you.
    --- So now Mr. Burns re-falls back into love? UUUUUUUUGGGHHHH...
    - It also ends with a not-very-funny bed scene.

This episode was fucking terrible. At first it was fairly innocuous. Standard Jean era jokes, but nothing to say much about. As soon as the fracking plot started however, it only got worse and worse from there, ending in a disaster. Mr. Burns falls in love in the most cliché fucking way possible (I hate you, but I love you) and from there we are met by a ton of insanely funny "jokes" and abysmal characterization. Marge is almost only confined to having a stupid fucking catchphrase ("Our water was on fire!") and Mr. Burns is so unbearably cutesy that I want to... kill someone. Homer is an unfunny douche. The satire is also... qué? What exactly were they trying to satirize? Usually when new Simpsons episodes does satire, I at least get what they're going for, only that I hate it. Here on the other hand, I don't understand what the fuck they are doing. What are they trying to say? What are we supposed to think? And if you don't even succeed at lousy satire, you suck. Lisa had one of the worst scenes in the entire series when she kept repeating "judge". What the hell have they done with her?
    The ending to this episode is... retarded. For some reason, it took Homer five times (Or was it 4? I lost count.) to comprehend what Marge meant with the simplest and most fuckin' obvious sentence ever. And for that Marge rewards him?????? As if it wasn't bad enough, Mr. Burns falls back in love with Maxine Lombard again. Of course, they have to revert status quo. But in this case, I'm glad they do, since I could barely sit through this episode of Burns being in love with a polar opposite. That satisfaction is not overwhelming though since the way they do it is with a HILAAAAAAARIOOOUS bedroom scene where the two of them are bored.
    Fuck this fucking episode.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-22-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Marge, you know how I told you to shut your fucking mouth?
    Well...
    SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!
    they can't hear you

I feel you're OTT with your dislike of some episodes, including this one. I'm fine if you don't like it, but it's just a kinda forgettable ep with no special flaws. Just think about it: WOULD I rank this with the very worst?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Fakename View Post
    I feel you're OTT
    this could have been the whole sentence

Blog Entries

I feel you're OTT with your dislike of some episodes, including this one. I'm fine if you don't like it, but it's just a kinda forgettable ep with no special flaws.
    I disagree, I think there are a ton of flaws.

Just think about it: WOULD I rank this with the very worst?
    It's a 2/10, not a 1/10... So no, I wouldn't.

Most of the HD era Simpsons episodes honestly piss me off more than anything else on television.

Blog Entries

Most of the HD era Simpsons episodes honestly piss me off more than anything else on television.
    What's your bottom 10?

I disagree, I think there are a ton of flaws.

It's a 2/10, not a 1/10... So no, I wouldn't.

I know, you mentioned them. But in the end... it's an episode you'll likely forget. All the shouting and stuff seems pretty unwarranted for something like this.

Blog Entries

All the shouting and stuff seems pretty unwarranted for something like this.
    These are all my sincere and honest feelings. If I wasn't shouting, I would be banging my head against a wall instead.

Blog Entries

see a therapist

These are all my sincere and honest feelings. If I wasn't shouting, I would be banging my head against a wall instead.
    I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jockey Elf Putting Society View Post
    What's your bottom 10?
    It changes the more bad episodes I see. But this is the current state of it:

10. Let's Go Fly A Coot (Can't believe I actually even hated this more than The Musk Who Fell To Earth)
    9. Co-Dependents' Day
    8. Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson
    7. Clown In The Dumps
    6. The Great Wife Hope
    5. Lisa Goes Gaga
    4. Treehouse Of Horror XXII
    3. Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing
    2. Days Of Future Future
    1. Moe Goes From Rags To Riches

boy I'm glad I watched Once that night

anyway this kind of makes me wish I had that memory eraser thing like from MIB and used it on Lisa and set it to 1993

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It changes the more bad episodes I see. But this is the current state of it:

10. Let's Go Fly A Coot (Can't believe I actually even hated this more than The Musk Who Fell To Earth)
    9. Co-Dependents' Day
    8. Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson
    7. Clown In The Dumps
    6. The Great Wife Hope
    5. Lisa Goes Gaga
    4. Treehouse Of Horror XXII
    3. Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing
    2. Days Of Future Future
    1. Moe Goes From Rags To Riches
    Coot, Rags and Co-Dependent's Day??

Blog Entries

what is your confusion