Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only decent Tim Long-episodes

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only decent Tim Long-episodes

• Adam & Eve-segment is "Simpsons Bible Stories
    • Desperately Xeeking Xena in "Treehouse Of Horror X" (actually his best work, which is ironic, since it's not even a full episode)
    • Co-wrote "Behind The Laughter"
    • Skinner's Sense Of Snow
    • New Kids On The Blecch
    • Half-Decent Proposal
    • Bart Vs. Lisa Vs. The Third Grade
    • Brake My Wife, Please (Though it's the worst one on the list)

Everything else: IT SUCKS!!!

Blog Entries

Skinner's Sense Of Snow
    Half-Decent Proposal
    And
    Bart Vs. Lisa Vs. The Third Grade are some of the best jean era episodes.

So he has done something good. But all of his HD episodes cancel these episodes out.

Blog Entries

All pretty decent episodes, pity that his work afterwards is garbage
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 20thCenturyBox View Post
    Skinner's Sense Of Snow
    Half-Decent Proposal
    And
    Bart Vs. Lisa Vs. The Third Grade are some of the best jean era episodes.
    Skinner's Sense Of Sense Of Snow is a Scully-era episode, since it's from season 12.
    By the way, with Al Jean's first season as a showrunner, I didn't notice that much of a difference, most of the episodes still had pretty much the same tone.

he's had a major hand in the re-writing process for a long time now. if you are still watching and enjoying the show for some reason, i'm sure you've liked a lot of his add-ins without even knowing it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    he's had a major hand in the re-writing process for a long time now. if you are still watching and enjoying the show for some reason, i'm sure you've liked a lot of his add-ins without even knowing it.
    Well, I hate the show now.

okay, so you dislike all the writers then.

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    okay, so you dislike all the writers then.
    well yeah
    how do you put gifs in sigs

Blog Entries

desperately xeeking xeena, behind the laughter, and half-decent proposal are probably the best work he's credited with, but by that point i dunno just how much of an initial script is held onto throughout the re-writing process. i imagine it's little-to-none now, so the shittiness of HD-era Tim Long eps is probably contributable to each and every writer on staff. it's hard to say if Tim Long was ever a good ep writer or just had better writers reworking his scripts, but his twitter is sometimes funny, so he's clearly got some comedic ability in him.

New Kids On The Blecch
    New Kids On The Blecch
    New Kids On The Blecch
    New Kids On The Blecch
    New Kids On The Blecch

note: i kid
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Blog Entries

I love that the profile picture you have is from "The Joy Of Sect", it's one of my favorite episodes

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Skinner's Sense of Snow, Half-Decent Proposal, The Devil Wears Nada, MoneyBART, Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words, Behind the Laughter, the Adam and Eve segment, and Desperately Xeeking Xena are relatively good for their respective seasons. New Kids on the Blecch is fucking terrible, though (in addition to many of his other episodes; I only mention it because it has been cited as an example of a "good" Tim Long episode). It sickens me that people are calling it "underrated." It's overrated because so many people are calling it underrated (instead of keeping it in the bottom 10 alongside episodes like Lisa Goes Gaga, where it belongs).

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quite Corking View Post
    It's overrated because so many people are calling it underrated (instead of keeping it in the bottom 10 alongside episodes like Lisa Goes Gaga, where it belongs).
    Dude.
    Don't ever compare New Kids Of The Blecch with Lisa Goes Gaga.
    In fact, Lisa Goes Gaga is so bad it should be shot in the head, pissed on and buried in the deepest realms of hell.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zelek

I would say I probably like New Kids on the Blecch even less than Lady Goes Gaga, although they are about the same.

Blog Entries

I would say I probably like New Kids on the Blecch even less than Lady Goes Gaga, although they are about the same.
    I don't hate Lisa Goes Gaga "only" for the horrendous writing and characterization, but also because the plot is ludicrously stupid! Lady Gagy comes to Springfield where she's a fucking goddess?! How the fuck did this get approved?!?! At least New Kids Of The Blecch is satire, this is... nothing.

Blog Entries

They've mostly been already mentioned here, but I need to re-mention Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words. It's the best of Season 20 for me and a great Homer-Lisa episode.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    • Desperately Xeeking Xena in "Treehouse Of Horror X" (actually his best work, which is ironic, since it's not even a full episode)
    • New Kids On The Blecch
    • Half-Decent Proposal

The New Kids on the Blecch was terrible. Just terrible. And annoying. I don't know why I hate it so, but it's definitely the second worst ever. Also Behind The Laughter was just insulting. The rest is ok.
    "It takes two to lie. One to lie, and one to listen."

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shoskin

Right? This episode was terrible all around, mainly because the plot was ridiculous, and her train in the beginning?? God.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Low-Tee View Post
    Also Behind The Laughter was just insulting.
    It's good to see that somebody else dislikes Behind the Laughter. The jokes were its only saving grace, as it was a pretty funny episode. However, the whole format of it just wasn't that good for me.

I would say I probably like New Kids on the Blecch even less than Lady Goes Gaga
    I didn't know that was humanly possible
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

We're out of time.

• New Kids On The Blecch
    • Half-Decent Proposal

You forgot The Simpsons Movie, unless you think it sucks too.

Blog Entries

Tim Long was also the main writer for The Simpsons Game, which I thought was pretty good. The Movie had a bunch of co-writers, and if I remember correctly Tim Long wasn't one of the eleven main writers for the movie, so I don't think the movie really counts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
    I didn't know that was humanly possible
    It's not like I said Lisa Goes Gaga is good or anything. When did thinking New Kids on the Blecch is one of the worst episodes of The Simpsons become so controversial?

It's not like I said Lisa Goes Gaga is good or anything. When did thinking New Kids on the Blecch is one of the worst episodes of The Simpsons become so controversial?
    Because it wasn't as bad, it's probably better than most HD episodes, the gaga episode was beyond bad, it didn't make sense, why was everybody adoring Gaga so much, even adults who most likely don't listen to her music, and the noticeable lack of humor. "New Kids on the Blecch might have been a bit of a mess towards the end, but it did have humor in it, and that "Yvan Eth Nioj" thing was actually funny, stupid but funny.

Yes, Lisa Goes Gaga is beyond bad, but I feel the same way about New Kids on the Blecch. Not only is the plot one of the worst ever ("a bit of a mess" is a huge understatement), it also features boy band music. I actually much prefer Lady Gaga's music (and I don't like that either). I guess that is quite subjective, but what isn't subjective is how bad the episode is in terms of plot. What criteria one considers when judging an episode is also subjective, and plot happens to be more important to me than humour, not that I think New Kids on the Blecch has much of that either (and just to be clear, my initial comment, when I said it sickens me that people are calling it underrated, was hyperbolic. I am merely disappointed New Kids on the Blecch no longer seems to receive as much hatred as I think it deserves).

What is funny about "Yan Eht Nioj"? It's just "Join the Navy" backwards... that's supposed to be a joke?

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Tim Long was also the main writer for The Simpsons Game, which I thought was pretty good. The Movie had a bunch of co-writers, and if I remember correctly Tim Long wasn't one of the eleven main writers for the movie, so I don't think the movie really counts here.
    I give the two Matts (Selman & Warburton) more credit for The Simpsons Game turning out halfway decent.

I'll endorse the recommendation of Homer and Lisa Exchange Cross Words. I wouldn't go as far as you did by saying it's the best of Season 20 but it's decent... and one of the best uses of Gil in the show's long history.

In fact, Tim's Season 25 efforts haven't been abominations. There have been notably worse episodes this season than either Tim Long episode and that isn't something we've been able to say in the HD era until now.

Tim has been credited with a number of spectacularly awful episodes. We all know which episodes I'm referring to. However, the one thing I will never accuse him of being is lazy. Even his misfires have effort put into them. And it shows. And there are a lot of episodes turned out these days that are lazy rehashes so I appreciate that he actually puts effort into his episodes. Even if some of them do turn out awful like Moe Goes From Rags to Riches.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Yes, Lisa Goes Gaga is beyond bad, but I feel the same way about New Kids on the Blecch. Not only is the plot one of the worst ever ("a bit of a mess" is a huge understatement), it also features boy band music. I actually much prefer Lady Gaga's music (and I don't like that either). I guess that is quite subjective, but what isn't subjective is how bad the episode is in terms of plot. What criteria one considers when judging an episode is also subjective, and plot happens to be more important to me than humour, not that I think New Kids on the Blecch has much of that either (and just to be clear, my initial comment, when I said it sickens me that people are calling it underrated, was hyperbolic. I am merely disappointed New Kids on the Blecch no longer seems to receive as much hatred as I think it deserves).

What is funny about "Yan Eht Nioj"? It's just "Join the Navy" backwards... that's supposed to be a joke?
    I am not saying the actual words "Yan Eht Nioj" are funny, it's the whole idea of the military using boy bands to recruit people, "Yan Eht Nioj" is actually pretty lazy I know.

Blog Entries

You're right, I love The Simpsons Movie, sorry.

Blog Entries

You're right, I love The Simpsons Movie, sorry.
    The eleven main writers for The Simpsons Movie were (according to the credits): Brooks, Groening, Jean, Maxtone-Graham, Meyer, Mirkin, Reiss, Scully, Selman, Swartzwelder, and Vitti.

In the credits Tim Long is merely listed as a "Consultant," because his writing role in the movie wasn't significant enough. So if you liked the movie, thank those eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Tim Long was also the main writer for The Simpsons Game, which I thought was pretty good.
    My bad. I looked through the credits of the game, and the head writer is listed as Matt Selman. Tim Long and Matt Warburton are co-writers. In the end, neither the game nor the movie really had significant input from Long.

Thread Information