Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

While I agree that Luca$ is a terrible episode, I don't see how Homer asking Lisa out is anywhere close to the depths of scenes like Moe kissing Katy Perry's "bellybutton," Bart leaving his father to be hanged, a one-minute list gag in White Christmas Blues, and so on. I think it could have been a good episode if they had gone with the angle of giving Lucas and Lisa a real relationship and portraying Lucas as a Homer-type, which leads Marge to try to convince Lisa against the relationship (with no repetitive marriage crisis plot in sight, although a couple of scenes wouldn't hurt). The Snake subplot could have worked too, but it was paper-thin and nothing really happened.

Regarding ofhf's suggestion, Coming to Homerica is above-average but not outstanding. The jokes are fairly mediocre but the plot is strong (essentially a better version of White Christmas Blues).

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I think it could have been a good episode if they had gone with the angle of giving Lucas and Lisa a real relationship and portraying Lucas as a Homer-type, which leads Marge to try to convince Lisa against the relationship (with no repetitive marriage crisis plot in sight, although a couple of scenes wouldn't hurt).
    But doesn't that completely go against Marge's character? Sure, she has her occasional problems with Homer, but she sees the good in him and ultimately loves him for who he is. So, she shouldn't think that Lisa should avoid someone like Homer, because, since she has had to stand up for him so much, she should trust that Lisa would be able to see the good in whoever she falls in love with.

Blog Entries

Marge has been shown to be short-sighted sometimes in situations like this (off the top of my head, she bribes a kid to be Lisa's friend in Pay Pal, which is unethical but supposedly done for Lisa's own good as well), so I wouldn't say that Marge (somewhat subconsciously) trying to steer Lisa away from a Homer-like boyfriend is too out of character for her, especially if it's well-written and Marge eventually accepts Lisa and Lucas's relationship. Maybe Marge starts by seeing only the negative qualities of Lucas and does not realize how much he cares for Lisa (thus also realizing the parallels between Lucas and Homer) until later in the episode, when she has her change of heart.

Bottom line is, there's a lot of things they could have done with Lucas that would be better than whatever Luca$ turned out to be.

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

MoneyBART 5.5/10

# This has to be the most interesting shortening of the intro I've seen.
    ++ I love this couch gag, it's just so darkly hilarious.
    - It's weird that they show the Koreans making cels when the show don't even use cel-animation any more.
    - So we get the odd stereotypical bit with a hot new woman applying to her new job and all males starts staring at her? Sigh.
    -- Like I've said before, I really don't like seeing Seymour and Chalmers being such good friends.
    # Maggie carves in a "M" Zorro-style.
    + New word of the day: Flanders-sandwich.
    ++ "How'd you like to kiss my ass??" It's so simple, and yet it still what makes it work. I like seeing a sassy pissed off Bart and not the creepy kind of pissed off (*cough*WhatToExpectWhenBart'sExpecting*cough*)
    - Oh, another baseball episode, is it? Not very excited.
    + Lisa accidentally reads up a note listing male baseball coaches.
    + Nelson is a little too up, but still in-character when he picks on a former baseball participator.
    + Bart calling Lisa degrading names was amusing.
    ++ "Get a room, you two." "We are brother and sister." "So are my parents... I think." That was a pretty clever joke for being so low-brow.
    + Lenny hates button-pushers and slanders Carl for being a Obama-supporter. Not exactly gold, but funny none-the-less.
    + I like shadowing in the sequence where the typical nerds are talking, one of them Professor Frink.
    -- Oh, a Apple computer. What a surprise, eh?
    # Okay, I don't get any of Frink's jokes at all.
    - It's such a lazy cop-out with these REALLY GODDAMN FREQUENT montages showing how well everything goes instead of actually providing some dialogue or insight to what Lisa actually does.
    - Bart is acting a bit like a jer-
    --- WHAT?! They win the fucking game but Lisa still kicks Bart out?! I mean, I get she didn't like the way they won, but STILL! If he had actually made them lose, I could understand her frustration, but since they won... what's the fucking problem?
    +++ "Do alligators alligate?" Very, very classic Ralph-line!
    + "Woohoo! Underpants-dinner!"
    + Homer drinks up the gravyboat.
    + "Boys don't have feelings, they have muscles."
    - This joke is overexplained, but...
    + ... it's still saved by Marge and Homer doing "HRRMMM" against each other.
    ++ "With all this racket, my boys can't get their 16 hours sleep!" Cut to Rod and Todd shaking like crazy.
    + At least Bart get to be with a commentator. That's pretty cool.
    + Marge skips her plan of taking Bart to the dentist.
    - Obligatory guest star. This time around: Michael Sosa.
    + "First rule: keep your hands on the damn carb."
    - Lisa once again is pissed off at the way they might win.
    ++ Mr. Burns with what they... had before computers...
    - Thanks for the baseball commercial.
    +/- Bart and Lisa have a sweet moment, but it's wrecked by the other team members saying "Conflict resolved!"

Meh. There was nothing very offensive, but it wasn't much making it more than a middle-episode either. There were some moments I liked, but I didn't like Lisa's characterization and there was just a feeling of... whatever. I won't remember this episode for very long and it's nothing much to think about. I think this has to be the shortest review I've so far written.
    I kinda feel apathetic. It was so inoffensive that it's almost excruciating. I almost wish it had been a shitty episode instead.

@pkkao, you liked this episode, didn't you?
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 10-07-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

Yeah, MoneyBART is surprisingly good, considering 1) it's from the abysmal season 22, and 2) it's written by the abysmal Tim Long. I've always liked the Banksy couch gag, and the rest of the episode has relatively few flaws for an HD episode.

Also, that's Mike Sciosia Mike S. guest-starring in this episode. He also appeared as one of the ringers in Homer at the Bat, and he's drawn to be more aged in this episode.

Lisa kicks Bart off the team because he isn't following her instructions. I don't see what's so infuriating about that.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 10-07-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, it's Mike Scioscia.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

Meh, at least I was close.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I actually think that it's Tim Long's best episode. (Excluding Behind the Laughter as it's more of a team effort.) It's one of the few stand-out episodes of season 22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I actually think that it's Tim Long's best episode. (Excluding Behind the Laughter as it's more of a team effort.) It's one of the few stand-out episodes of season 22.
    Better than Skinner's Sense of Snow?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Can't believe I'm saying this, but yes. Skinner's Sense of Snow is a great episode, but it's not his best episode. It's definitely up there, though.

Blog Entries

It was surprisingly okay for being Tim Long, but it's just passable for me, not great.

Blog Entries

Since I'll sooner or later grow crazy from reviewing these goddamn episodes, I figure I'll put out another review already today. Also, I picked a more controversial episode for this time, since it seems like all episodes that seem good have vanished and some of the recommendations have turned out to be fairly polarizing episodes.
    Here we go, anyway.

YOLO 3/10 (Hate this title really, really, really, really, really, really, really much)

+ Bart shoots the typical Simpsons-letters in the opening.
    - Yeah, Bart and Milhouse are terrific friends.
    + It's another smartphone picked up, but this line saves it: "Dear weirdo. Pick up weirdo kid."
    - Milhouse breathes through his tear drops. That was unsettling.
    + Kirk having a midlife crisis was funny.
    ++ Haha, Marge teasing Homer like that was great.
    + Ralph has written on his undershorts what he did during his summer.
    + "This school is more corrupt than the Italian parliament."
    + Homer zaps through movies which has to do with his midlife crisis.
    - Now it begins. The "YOLO" and "You only live once"-shit.
    - Why is this plot getting so overdramatic? Also, we've already seen Homer with a midlife crisis, do we really need that again?
    + Chalmers is annoyed at Lisa's suggestion...
    + ... which by the way is that the students must tell if the other is cheating. This could be interesting.
    + Homer's letter to Eduardo is kinda cute.
    -/? So Eduardo is here to help Homer fulfill all his childhood dreams? Not sure how to feel about that.
    -/+ Eduardo acting sensual to Marge was first amusing, then just weird.
    + Predictable joke, but I like Milhouse sigh of disappointment when signing under as "the class nerd".
    ? "Can't you say anything in a normal way?" I don't know what they meant with this joke.
    + Homer imagines a "melan collie".
    - Wait, how could Marge read Homer's thoughts?
    ++ It's hinted at that Marge and Homer will have sex, but instead jumps in the bed.
    # Family Guy had Peter skydiving, now they have Homer skydiving. Copy-paste?
    - Some odd confusing narrating appears and we suddenly get two title cards. Why?
    + Lisa is offered a pumpkin instead of extra credit.
    - Willie goes all murderous.
    + Bart finds a loophole in Lisa's plan.
    -- "You only live once"... Yeah, yeah, I get it, shut the fuck up.
    + Marge talking with the bird was funnier than it should have been.
    --- Ugh, this dragged on skydiving sequence is so cringeworthy.
    + I liked him bouncing down and back up, then down again, at least.
    + "I was faster than the speed of sound."
    - I hope they hadn't actually had the sound coming afterwards, as it was a funny line on its own.
    + Hibbert is laughing so much because of the overexposure to morphine.
    - And... that's how it ends?

Wow, this was a extremely odd episode. The side-plot was thousands more interesting, but they barely gave it any airtime. Heck, we weren't even shown how the other students were doing! And the main plot is just overly sentimental shit where have to endure three minutes of Homer skydiving, because apparently they couldn't think of something else! All the dramatic music and the SHOCKING lack of humor was getting on my nerves after a while, which made it a terrible episode instead of just a mediocre one. At least "The Real Housewives Of Fat Tony" had some more actual jokes in it. This was just completely dry.

Quote Originally Posted by GhoulSpookerSnospisEht View Post
    Also, I picked a more controversial episode for this time
    How is YOLO controversial? I found it so incredibly bland and lifeless that it didn't make any impression on me whatsoever (aside from the remarkably terrible character design for the Spanish guy), and I've maybe seen anyone mention it once or twice since it aired. It's just an extremely forgettable episode, not exactly controversial (unless there is something I am not aware of).

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

- And... that's how it ends?
    IIRC, Dead Homer Society or an equally negative Modern Simpsons site said the ending was one of the most classic-era esque things of the HD-era, saying it was perfectly subtle, surprising and heart-warming. They still criticised it of course saying it was too unrealistic and the secondary character was too forgettable for the scene to even matter, but... yeah.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

YOLO is one of the better season 25 episodes, and the ending is pretty great. However, the subplot (was this the one with the honor code system?) was really confusing; I'm still a little confused as to what Lisa was trying to do with an honor system, especially considering how the kids are already cheating like crazy. And why was Bart able to threaten Lisa with failing her system? The main plot is pretty thin when you think about it, but I like the idea of Homer having a mid-life crisis (even if they can't use my far superior episode title of Carpe D'oh-em), and the whole thing is relatively inoffensive.

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glad I'm not the only person confused by that subplot. I didn't really understand her intention, and I also didn't really get the "loophole" that Bart mentioned. But I figured that was just me not understanding television again.

Blog Entries

YOLO is one of the better season 25 episodes, and the ending is pretty great.
    While the ending was sweet, the material of the main plot was so tediously boring that it didn't have any big emotional effect on me.

If I remember correctly, Lisa was convinced that the honour system would work perfectly and no one would ever cheat (I guess because it was her idea, so it was therefore perfect), and then whatever Bart threatened to do would have proven her wrong.

Blog Entries

Do lisa goes gaga!
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Do lisa goes gaga!
    No thanks, watching it two times was bad enough (shudder).
    On the other hand, I will re-watch Lisa The Drama Queen to remember exactly why I hated it.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

And why was Bart able to threaten Lisa with failing her system?
    I really liked this sub-plot, I thought the loophole was really inspired and interesting. It's sort of like a paradox.
    Lisa develops a flawless system to stop cheating which Bart then manages to cheat anyway but she can't report him or then Lisa's system is proven to not be flawless so she doesn't say anything which allows Bart to carry on cheating.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

No thanks, watching it two times was bad enough (shudder).
    On the other hand, I will re-watch Lisa The Drama Queen to remember exactly why I hated it.
    Nah, do See Homer Run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ofhf View Post
    Nah, do See Homer Run.
    Fuck you.

Blog Entries

But this thread is to re-watch bad episodes. I would like to see what you say about lisa goes gaga, I laughed pretty hard at your Moe goes from rags to riches review,

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Fuck you.
    At least See Homer Run doesn't have any scenes that go way off-topic and bizarre, unlike a certain episode that starts with "Them" and ends with "Robot".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    But this thread is to re-watch bad episodes. I would like to see what you say about lisa goes gaga, I laughed pretty hard at your Moe goes from rags to riches review,
    Okay, MAYBE. But I've already ranted a lot about it.

Blog Entries

Please do it.

Blog Entries

Lisa Goes Gaga 1/10

? Weird couch gag.
    - Meh joke with Ralph pretending to be a dog.
    - "Hey, look. It's the Lady Gaga express!" How about the "Fuck My Asshole express"?
    --- Even worse, the design of the express!
    -- Lady Gaga's manager has a annoying as hell voice.
    -- My God, even Gaga in general is a poor voice actor.
    --/+ I hate this flashback bit, but I at least smiled at "You spend 90 minutes training and off he go."
    - HAHAHA, she has big shoes! Sigh.
    + I like the distorted music playing as Bart is about to accept his price.
    + "Prank you! Prank you very much!"
    + THANK YOU. Somebody said it. Glee is shit.
    -- As fucked up as the school is, it's just too much that Skinner would actually have an award for least popular student. Seriously, that's him being an asshole at maximum speed, especially considering how much Lisa has helped the school out.
    + But I did laugh at his line "I know very little about children." when Lisa pointed out accepting the award only made matters worse.
    -- I don't even get the Jennifer Lopez joke, but I already hate it.
    -/+ Lady Gaga just letting someone hang by the side of the train was stupid but the line "I'm missing a terrible winter!" when Gaga told him to stay positive was amusing.
    + "She's just afraid no one likes her. I thought she knew." Hehe.
    ? Uncensored jump-rope chants? What the hell is that?
    -- What the.. What the hell was that weird sound effect from Maggie's bottle?! I know the "punchline" is she spit the milk out, but the sound mixing was so atrocious it fell flat.
    + "It takes courage to post nice things anonymously.
    + "If gasoline is their food... Then why do they have teeth?!" Milhouse has been annoying in the newer episodes, but they really nailed it this time.
    - Blink-and-you-miss-it moment. Martin's arm is all fucked up.
    --- Oh Christ, it's here the episode gets cringeworthy pretty much all through. Before it was at least halfway bearable. Now it's a nightmare! Lady Gaga is physic. No, I'm not shitting you, PSYCHIC. SHE IS A GODDAMN PSYCHIC. And... for some fuckin' reason... she can see Lisa is feeling bad! WHAT... THE FUCK!!!!
    -- Kent Brockman's voice felt off-tune.
    + "I try not to cry until you are asleep." "I appreciate that." This is classic Homer, sounding mean without meaning it.
    + The joke with Homer constantly turning Lisa upside down is not as funny as I remember it. Homer kind of overexplains it.
    --- Fat Tony is a Gaga supporter too?!
    -- "Tell us in song." Please God no.
    - A typical technology joke. Not as offensive as all the Gaga shit at least.
    +/-- What can I say? She has a decent singing voice, but she doesn't deserve to be promoted this heavily!
    --- "I love you, Lady Gaga!" The fact that this line comes from Abraham Simpson, an old coot who thinks back at "the good old days" makes this line extremely out of character! I mean, Lady Gaga? WHY WOULD HE LOVE LADY GAGA?!?!?! Top tier sharkjump there.
    --- Mr. Burns being charmed by her as well? You are making me CRAZY, Tim Long!
    -- Oh wait, now I get it. The joke is that a confetti lands on Mr. Burns's head and he falls down. What the fuck? Still doesn't make any sense.
    --- Okay, first of all, she could have just looked closer at the crowd and see if there was a sad face or not. Secondly, FUCK YOU!
    - Of course, the obligatory lame paparazzi joke which could have been used at pretty much any celebrity. So how much is this a satire of Lady Gaga? None.
    + "Hey, Gary. How are your wife and kids?" "Still ashamed of me." Heh. VERY mild chuckle. VERY.
    + Well, in the very least Flanders doesn't like Gaga.
    + "Not so smart now, are you?" To see this come from Miss Hoover made it a pretty good joke, to be honest.
    - Okay? What was so funny with that text joke?
    + Just Stamp The Ticket guy appears.
    - Holy SHIT got big eyes for a couple seconds.
    # "Your biggest threat: Lady Gogo?" Neither laughed or cringed.
    ? Whoa, where did this set-up to a lesbian porno come from? But know what the oddest thing is? Even before Marge is kissed, the dialogue feels very much like something in style with "I'm so lonely, and I only identify with women..."Well, I know just the solution... You've ever heard about 69?" I mean, what the hell? I wasn't upset with it, just confused. (It was surprisingly arousing, to be honest)
    - Homer eats up Gaga's meat dress. Meh.
    --- "Wha?" This is Lady Gaga's worst delivery of the line in the entire episode and I am really not joking.
    + "Can we please kill the kid?" No, for once, Lisa is fine. Kill Gaga instead.
    + Thank God somebody yelled that bitch the fuck out.
    --- "Are you crying glitter?" "Tiny diamonds. Hurts like hell." This is one of the worst ever lines in this episode and still it never is quoted around anywhere.
    ++ You know something is wrong when the best joke is Homer trying to climb into the treehouse.
    + "I cheat on my diet, but nobody knows. Because the damage is on the inside and the first warning sign is sudden death."
    --- That's how easily Lisa forgives Gaga? Goddamn it, how fucking stupid!
    - "I'll do anything but sing." "You are gonna sing!" Gaga is an asshole.
    --- Just like the first time I ever heard Lisa's song, I turned off the sound after SECONDS. That's probably the only time that ever has happened when watching a Simpsons episode ever!
    - I hate Moe asking Lady Gaga for help...
    ++ ... but him being run over by a train was pretty damn hilariously dark.
    --- Oh, at the end we hear Homer sing his OUTSTANDING parody song "Homer Face". It's really CLEVER and very SMART AND SATIRICAL. I LOVE it. It's a SUPERB ACHIEVEMENT.

Shittin' blit, it's hard to get any more pathetic than this. Just because of how shitty the season as a whole was, they decided "But if we get a spectacular guest star... everyone will forgive us!" Well, nobody did. The show have many terrible writers now, but the worst will always be Tim Long. Tim. Fucking. Long. He wasn't even trying here! No plot (if there is, it's thinner than the thinnest of thin papers in a paper factory), no jokes (and the few that actually are there are not very related to the main plot), sacrifice of characters (pretty much 90 percent at least were made into brainless Gaga loving sheep) and shitty pacing. There's nothing really going on except for Lisa mourning and Stefani Germanotta walking around with her dumb... male strippers... or whatever you call 'em. I don't blame her for not giving a shit about the script and just thinking "The Simpsons, awesome!", but what I can't accept is her ABHORRENT voice acting. No sense of timing, variety in tone, expression... Anything at all!
    But you know what the worst is?
    I wasn't watching a Simpsons episode.
    I WAS WATCHING A MOTHERFUCKING DISNEY JUNIOR SHOW! Just when the Lady Gaga express was introduced, everything just felt... wrong and weird... and even alien. I almost thought "What kind of shitty show is thi- Oh. Dammit."
    Only very slightly beaten by "Moe Goes From Rags To Riches", this is the darkest day of television ever.

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-- "I love you, Lady Gaga!" The fact that this line comes from Abraham Simpson, an old coot who thinks back at "the good old days" makes this line extremely out of character! I mean, Lady Gaga? WHY WOULD HE LOVE LADY GAGA?!?!?! Top tier sharkjump there.
    Zsa Zsa*
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamtasm View Post

Blog Entries

@The Egg Council Creepy This was a total fucking pain in the ass, but here's the review.

Thread Information