Thread: scary or weird events in your life

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

scary or weird events in your life

i'll start off with the scariest thing that's happen to me, and it was only like 4 years ago. it's not much, but it scared the hell out of me.

so as i said, this happened about 4 years ago. it took place on halloween night. me and my dad were watching tv and my mom was handing out the candy. now my house is located in the country, so there're not that many kids that come, and the ones that do, my mother knows who they are. so the night dwindles down to the point where there are no more kids out and about. it's late and my dad goes up to bed and my mom goes to take a bath. the late football game was still on so i laid on the floor watching the remainder of it, kinda dozing in and out until i eventually fall asleep. now at this point the main locking door is still wide out, with just the metal screen door kinda thing closed.

i start to come out of it as i hear some faint banging, though i thought it was just my mom. but then i hear this big clumping of boots and yelling. so now i turn over and all i see is this women that looked coked out of her mind half dressed up in a pirate suit. it was the most terrifying person i've ever seen. she had a bag with like two candies in it, a pirate sword and a vinyl record. she's looking at me and just says, "who's winning?" (cause the football game was still on). horrified, i just said the chargers, pretty sure neither team was the chargers. but anyway now my mom is in the other room yelling, "who is it?" then the women said, "you'll know when you see me?" this back in forth happened a couple times till my mom finally came in. thinking that my mom would know who it was, i ran upstairs to tell my dad what was going on.

i hear faint talking for a minute, then the door opening. immediately my mother comes running up the stairs saying, "thanks a lot for leaving me with that woman, i thought she was gonna stab me." i said, "i thought you would know her." she said, "i've never seen here before in my life." so me and my mom ran back downstairs, outside to blow out the pumpkins, then lock the doors and go back upstairs.

not that eventful, but that fact that she let herself in, and that face was scarier then any mask i've ever seen, did it for me. to me the whole thing felt like that scene in seinfeld where kramer is selling the opera ticket in the back alley and the clown walks up and asks him if he's afraid of clowns, and kramer says yes. only this wasn't funny.

i've got some more, but that's long and pretty eventful enough for one post. so anyway, share some scary or just weird stories, the longer the better. they don't even have to be good (clearly) or make any sense.

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

this can probably also go in the 'not so good' pile, because (again) nothing bad actually happened, but for a few minutes in winter 2009, i was genuinely frightened for my life. though i guess i feel a similar sensation whenever i'm in the car with unsafe drivers like my idiot friends and their parents. this story will probably be pretty unsatisfying.

i was living in a dingy basement apartment in downsview, ontario (north of toronto) and going to seneca college at york university. the nearby area, known as 'jane and finch' is notorious for having 'one of the largest concentrations of criminal gangs of any area in canada'. also, the campus itself has an absurd amount of sexual assaults, and in general, it's just a bad place to be. naturally, one got a little nervous walking around there at night. i remember one of the notably eerie things about nightwalks was just that there was never anyone around. you never passed another soul.

my apartment was a few blocks south of the school, and i was studying independent music, so i got to make use of the recording studios there until 11pm. i'd often stay late and take advantage of the facilities, staying right up until the building closed (i'll never forget the security guards making their rounds at 10:45 and interrupting my best vocal takes).

there were two options to get home: 1) i could walk to the main, well-lit street (keele), or 2) i could take the desolate, dark shortcut. first, i had to walk through a parking lot to a ttc bus-only road, then through a housing development called 'the village'. after that there was a large open field (with absolutely no light whatsoever), some apartment buildings, and then i caught up to keele at finch avenue. i almost always used the shortcut.

one night when i was leaving the studio i had a feeling that i should take keele all the way home, but instead i made my way to the bus-only road and couldn't believe the amount of fog that i wound up in. this was that thick, can't-see-ten-feet-in-front-of-you fog. i've never seen anything like it before or since. i kept thinking how terrifying it would be if a person suddenly appeared in front of me, on this night of all nights, especially since no one was ever around.

of course, i got myself a little uneasy and i started to think about how a recent news story - a few blocks from there a family had recently been bound and gagged in their basement while some hooligans looted the place. for god's sake, why do we think about these kinds of things?

i finally arrived at the field. at this point i was picking up the pace. i got halfway across (i think, it was so hard to tell) when a dark figure emerged from the fog, moving straight towards me. he was wearing a hoodie with the hood pulled up over his head (i couldn't see his face), and had both his arms stuffed inside the pocket on the front. he was slumped over, moving quite quickly and sort of limping. i couldn't even move to avoid him because he was already so close and walking towards me. i thought 'this is it. i'm dead. right here. this crackhead is gonna stab or shoot me.'

without even stopping, he gruffly mumbled something at me, but at first i couldn't understand him and then he said 'get killed over there,' and pointed right in the direction i was headed. i said nothing, turned ninety degrees left and walked to the main road. i made it home in record time.

obviously nothing bad actually happened, but i was terribly shaken up and even thinking about it now gives me goosebumps. at the time i figured it was some real no-goodnik, but it was probably just some mentally ill homeless person who posed absolutely no danger to me whatsoever. maybe he thought he was giving me some valuable advice. or maybe it was a ghost. really, i get the creeps from any of these explanations.

Blog Entries

Well, there is the story of how I may have been kidnapped when I was younger, but everyone said I was just looking back at it that way.

The story I do have is kind of embarrassing because of how foolish and naive I was. I mean, you can understand in a way why I would come to the conclusions I would in the situation, but this was a case of just plain questionable decision-making.

When I first started working out of college, my company's office was in downtown Dayton. And every Friday afternoon, I would treat myself to Subway, which was only about two blocks away from the office. In order to get there, I have to pass by a large parking deck where I would park my car every day. On the street, there would invariably be people asking for money from passerbys. Since I am a horrible miser and am a scared suburban kid, I generally just pass by them without saying anything.

One day, I'm walking to Subway and this gentleman stops me. And he says he needs $1.75 in order to make bus fare. He holds out his hand and I quickly see that he has $1.55 in change. So I figure, what the heck. It's Friday. And the guy is only twenty cents short. So I reach into my wallet and give him two dimes.

This made the gentleman rather angry. He yells at me, "I NEED TO GET TO THE BUS AND YOU'RE GONNA GIVE ME TWENTY CENTS?!?!?!?" And then I realize that what he meant was he needed $1.75 more, not $1.75 total. At this point, I'm getting kind of intimidated by the situation and said something hurriedly like, you said you needed $1.75 and that's what you were short. And then he started yelling at me more and I hurriedly said sorry or something and started heading to Subway.

While I pass by the parking garage, I notice the guy is following me.

So in all my infinite wisdom, I run inside the stairwell of the parking garage and just book it up the stairs. Skipping stairs as I go. I saw behind me that he followed me into the garage, so I'm just completely booking it. I parked on the third floor, the roof of the garage that day. So I just run out to my car and get in as quickly as I can, turn on the engine, and start circling around to exit the garage. I didn't see him on the roof or anything, and didn't see him anywhere in the garage or even on the street when I exited.

So at that point, I didn't know what to do since I didn't really have anywhere to drive. So I just drove around Dayton until I found a fast food place, got food, and feebly came back to the garage about a half hour later. I didn't see the guy around anywhere, so I just quietly walked back to work, kind of shaken by the whole thing. I felt really weird about it for the next week or so.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz, parklife, zach

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i had a kind of weird night when i got my exam results where i thought i was probably going to die on two occasions and bought makeup in tesco at about midnight for what turned out to be no reason.

so i'm sitting at a pub with a few friends. we'd just finished our final school exams and, at this point, i think you could definitely tell we weren't people with a particular experience of life. the pub we were in has a bit of a weird mix of drinker. there's a particular young trendyish type of person intermixed with a really laddy set of 30-50 year old regulars and then just random local stragglers that tend to range from young parents to elderly couples. it is kind of a weird place.

anyway, it was absolutely bursting full of people so we decided to sit outside under one of the heaters. it was a decent temperature outside anyway so it seemed halfway sensible. we were chatting and minding our own business and then this 50 year old bald dude who was clearly completely wasted came outside for a smoke. despite plenty of room around him, he chose our table to sit down on. it was kind of awkward and he was an intimidating guy.

he immediately introduces himself and starts asking the usual questions. he's keeping remarkably okay conversation despite his state. sure, he goes on a rant about how important your mates are and keeps telling us that we need to remember to look out for eachother but he isn't slurring too badly or anything. then he suddenly completely changes tone.

he has suddenly become a lot more serious and tells us about how he used to be a boxer but then ended up in prison. we didn't ask him to elaborate why. we listen to him repeating this story several times between the constant reminders to "look after your friends". he finally finishes his cigarette and stands up

"do you lads want to go to a whorehouse?"
    "erm what?"
    "you lads ever been to a whorehouse?"
    "no"
    "i'll pay, lads. me and my mates are going to a whorehouse after this"

me and my friends exchange awkward glances. i personally was just enjoying his use of the word whorehouse which i assumed was old fashioned. we continue to decline but he begins pleading with us to go to this brothel with him. he was incredibly persistent and was beginning to get increasingly agitated at us shooting him down. luckily, his friend stumbled through the door at this point and shouted at him to get back inside. his friend then told us this guy was harmless really and they both stumbled back into the pub. we didn't go for another drink there that night. we just sneaked out down the alley way at the back of the pub avoiding the ex-boxer criminal who wanted to pay for us to have sex with some prostitutes.

my friend then suggests we go for a drive. i'm not an idiot, i would have walked back if i had realised he hadn't just had a coke (and that that coke wasn't just coke). i live in the countryside so there are loads of winding country roads and the like. so we're driving down these at like 11pm. it is fine. we're just chatting and then i realise we are heading down this national speed limit road back into my village at a very very fast speed. and that he isn't slowing down for the tiny little bridge into it. this is a tiny bridge but it is quite a rapid incline and then decline. then his phone rings. we are still hurtling towards this bridge. he passes it to my friend in the passenger seat and tells him to put it on speaker. we are going very fast. he then just starts screaming down the phone. i felt like i was in a road safety advert. we get air on the bridge and i am terrified. he has had his car lowered to a ridiculous height for aesthetic reasons to the extent that speed bumps are an ordeal at normal speed anyway so the sound it made was atrocious. he clearly was terrified too though because we finally actually slowed down. turns out the person on the other end of the phone is in the nearby town and is underage and wants us to pick up some kind of makeup thing to touch up her fake id. i didn't really get it but my friend clearly did and so we were heading to tesco.

we then spent about 30-45 minutes in tesco looking for this makeup. three 18 year old guys standing in the makeup aisle looking hella confused and incredibly aware of the fact we were three 18 year old guys standing in a makeup aisle for 30-45 minutes in tesco at midnight. (when we finally got to town to give her it, she decided to go home anyway instead. a monumental waste of time.)

i guess none of that is particularly scary or weird looking back at it but i've typed it all out now so fuck it and it seemed like it at the time.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife, zach

i've got a fog story too. i'll file this one under weird, certainly one of the craziest experiences i've ever had. fog in general is pretty unnerving. i remember one time driving home from a football game with my dad at like one in the morning. it was an hour and some ride home, and we came across a paranormal radio show. it was freaking me out, thinking every time we stopped at a light or sign, someone would come out of the fog and try and break into the car. then there's other times when you're driving really slow cause the fog is so thick, and all of a sudden some car is flying past you and instantly vanishes in the fog ahead. anyway, on to the story which happened a couple years.

it was 6:30 in the morning around winter, so it was still dark out. usually i got to drive myself to work, but this day the car was needed elsewhere, so my dad took me to work. we looked outside and saw some of the thickest fog i'd ever seen. in order to not be late, we decided to leave early. so we're moving alone slowly, there's no one on the roads. we reach the point were we needed to turn onto another road that didn't have any painted lines. so now it's pretty hard just to stay on the road. then all of a sudden out of the fog, we look out the window, and see two lights that appear to be flying towards us.

now my first thought was that we went the wrong way, because if we went the another way there was a giant hill. so the lights could have been a car going down the hill. however this wasn't the case, we were on the road right road. now i starting to think this is like ufo or something, cause these lights are at about the height of two and a half cars high. me and my dad are just shocked still driving slowly towards it and no one is saying a word, it's completely silent. so it's still moving, we're getting closer and closer. finally out of the fog, it gets close enough to figure out what it is.

it was a damn steam roller, and a giant one at that. what was a giant steam roller doing in the thickest fog in the back roads where no construction or anything was? how did it not make a sound? if we were another foot over, the thing would have crushed the car and us flat, without even slowing down. immediately we both burst out laughing, pretty sure it was the hardest i'd ever laughed. the whole day of work i couldn't stop laughing.

we've told it to a lot of people, but i guess it's just one of those things where you really needed to see it happening to fully understand, but still. whenever it's just me and my dad driving, the weirdest stuff happens, every single time.

Hired Goon

About 8 years ago when I lived in MD, I was going for a walk at night (which I'd done very regularly for a couple of years with no problems) and got jumped by three dudes. I'd had headphones on, so I didn't hear them coming behind me. They punched me twice in the head and then searched me, but all I had on me were my keys (which they took) and my CD player (which they strangely didn't take). A guy happened to drive by, which scared them off, and he stopped and called the police for me. An ambulance took me to the hospital and I got five stitches over my eye. I was out of work for about a week while I healed. I was pretty traumatized for a while, and had a really hard time walking anywhere by myself at night for a long time after that.

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    About 8 years ago when I lived in MD, I was going for a walk at night (which I'd done very regularly for a couple of years with no problems) and got jumped by three dudes. I'd had headphones on, so I didn't hear them coming behind me. They punched me twice in the head and then searched me, but all I had on me were my keys (which they took) and my CD player (which they strangely didn't take). A guy happened to drive by, which scared them off, and he stopped and called the police for me. An ambulance took me to the hospital and I got five stitches over my eye. I was out of work for about a week while I healed. I was pretty traumatized for a while, and had a really hard time walking anywhere by myself at night for a long time after that.
    jesus christ, man. really bummed out reading about that.

Blog Entries

I've got a few stories that spring to mind that I've probably shared before. Guess I'll go for my nana's wake story, which as I've just found out via a quick search, I have shared on here before, so I'll quote the post from that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    At my nana's wake as everyone was leaving me and my brother stayed to take one last look and I kissed her on the forehead (Eerily cold as one would expect a deceased body to be). My mother's then-boyfriend went to switch the light out and my mum stopped him, commenting that nana always slept with the light on (I shared a room with her and while yes, she did sleep with the light on, it was also for my benefit as a child).

About 10 seconds after that the light dimmed down (The light did not have a dimmer switch) then went back up, then down, then up again and began to flicker erratically. My brother shouted for my mum to come in but before she did...BOOM and out went the light.

I have my doubts about the supernatural, but a big part of me can't help but shake the notion of it being real. I know the obvious explanation would be a crappy fuse, but never in my life aside from that incident have I seen a lightbulb do THAT before running out. Given the exchange that took place just before hand with my mother and her then-boyfriend. It's a little hard to ignore the timing.
    So there's one old creepy story for you all.

Also, just to touch on a small detail from Hammster's story.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    he has had his car lowered to a ridiculous height for aesthetic reasons
    Anyone who has their car lowered like that is automatically a giant wanker IMO.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

i have told him as much many times

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

Blog Entries

Well, good for you then. I recall there being this one car that my friends and I would always see when walking from college through the car park of the bus depot across the street. It was this little white shit heap of a thing, barely an inch off the ground with the windows tinted black. We never did see who the driver was, but you could just tell straight away that whoever drove it was the sort of "Fast and the Furious"-wannabe prick that would rev his engine for no goddamn reason other than to act like a tough guy while he and his little shithead friends raced laps around it at all hours of the night.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, to complete the look, they have to blast some shitty Clubland compilation CD through their big ol' speakers in the back designed to overshadow every other sound on the planet with bass.

Blog Entries

it is fairly impossible to look cool in a car that has to slow down so that it is almost stationary to get over a speed bump and even then makes a loud scraping sound as it goes over said speed bump

When I was in my late teens, a man came to the house claiming to know my dad. He seemed and looked exactly like the type of person my dad would know, so I didn't think much of it. He gave me his name, said he was supposed to look at a car for purchase. My dad had an old Chevelle he kept trying to fix but never did anything with it for over 5 years so I assumed it was the car he was talking about. I told the guy I wasn't aware of this deal and he'd have to wait until my dad got home (I was home alone and peeking through a window while talking to him) so they could talk about it. For years and years I've always been very careful about who I talk to and what I say, but for some reason, this guy charmed the fuck out of me and got me talking about myself. Started out simple with "are you his daughter?" and junk and eventually led to him convincing me to come out of the house and talk to him because "it's a little awkward talking to you through the window." I guess I felt it would be rude to tell him to go away.

Anyway, we ended up in the garage (because I didn't want him on our porch close to the entrance) just talking about all sorts of things. This guy loved my long hair and started talking about hair care products and junk. He insisted that I let him show me a hair moisturizer he just bought and I told him all right, but he ended up walking up to me with it, swiftly circling around behind me, and started putting the stuff in my hair. A minute of him just running his hands through my hair and I was so shocked and surprised that I just couldn't move, a real Tina Belcher "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" moment. After he stopped I was in the midst of saying well thanks but I'm gonna go back in...and then came the "so you have a boyfriend?" My relationship with my ex had literally just started falling apart around then so it was a touchy subject I couldn't resist replying to, and just said "not anymore." So of course then he asked me if I was a virgin...which led to him trying to convince me to go to the movies with him. And in all that time, I hadn't realized that when he circled around behind me to mess around with my hair, he had actually cornered me in. I was in near-panic mode at the idea that this could turn out really bad because he was practically leaning in on me, but was saved by the landlord pulling into the driveway.

He left his number with me, walked away, I ran inside and slapped myself in the head a few times at how stupid that all was. When my dad came home, I immediately told him. He said he wasn't ever selling the car and he didn't know the guy or speak to anyone with his name recently. Then he he got really pissed at "that sick motherfucker..." and gave me a strong hug and walked away. One of the dumbest things I ever let happen to me.

--

Here's a shorter one, from Halloween 2012. Husband and I were planning to use some Groupons to go on a haunted lagoon ride at the Polynesian Cultural Center on the northern side of the island. Bus would be too unreliable to get there and my parents were in Vegas, so we got my brother to take us. He demanded 25 bucks for gas for his piece of shit VW Beetle which practically leaked gas. We had no change, so gave him $20. He uses only $10 on gas and the rest on cigs...ok. He drives us to the place almost 2 hours away and, even though we told him NOT to because of gas, he says he'll drive back into town and get us later because of long lines and it hadn't opened yet. I call him before we enter the ride, giving him an hour head start. After the whole thing, it's about 9pm and we got some dinner to buffer the time it takes to travel there. At 10pm I get an angry text from my brother..."you see this is why i said $25 the car ran out of gas im stranded here 2 mi. im walking to u w the gas can and im gonna need more $$$ for gas."

Ok. So it's 11 PM on a suddenly very rainy Sunday and I have work the next day. I'm over 2 hours away from home, exhausted and pregnant, and the rude fucking cabbie I spoke to said he won't come get us because he wanted $100 to drive out and drive us back to town. The cultural center and the restaurant were closed and only a gas station was nearby. I was a wreck and crying. Around 11:30 my bro finally walks up. I buy the gas and we have to WALK BACK to his car now, 2 miles away. We are on the coastal highway, it's very dark and rainy, and all you can hear on the way back is crashing waves from the coast. There was no sidewalk, just grassy trail that isn't actually meant to be used for walking, and barely any lights. We trekked all the way back to the car with cars whizzing past and I was fairly certain one of us would get hit or I would get sick from the rain and something would happen to the baby. At one point, I hadn't realized how slow I was going compared to everyone and I couldn't see them anymore until Joshua came back into view telling me my bro went on without us so it could be done by the time we got back. Finally got to the car, found another gas station a few miles away town-bound, and got back home around...2am. Super stressful night. Did not go to work the next day.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Hired Goon

Damn, I remember you mentioning the highway story but not the other one. Dude sounds fucked up. Did he come to your house knowing that you lived there and with the sole purpose of creeping on you, or did he actually have some other purpose for coming there that you know of?

I honestly do not know how or why he came to the house. It's possible he was in the neighborhood before and noticed our home, or was going by a fake name. I am just glad I never, ever saw him again.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

@kupomog didn't your dad ever call him to try to find out who he was? I would have taken his name and phone number straight to the police.

Phone number went to a line that was disconnected. Wasn't really anything we could do. Even if I gave a description of the guy...he literally looks like most adult males on this island in that neighborhood. Heck, he doesn't look very dissimilar to my dad or the men in his family.

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

When I was younger, my parents moved us to a different home because they thought I was seeing ghosts. I was talking about seeing a man in the house that wasn't there, and my mother was so freaked out she went to a fortune teller.

I really had no idea what went on since I was around 2-3 years old.

Blog Entries

Let's go for scary...

Some backstory for this one: my dad is... okay... at first, but anyone who's stayed with him for any amount of time knows that eventually, he becomes controlling and paranoid... sometimes violently angry for literally no reason whatsoever. So sometimes I'll be talking to him about college or some completely normal topic, and then I'll find out from my mother that after the conversation was over, he texted her and talked shit about me for no reason. He's also hit a girlfriend before (one of the nicest ppl I've met) and almost punched me when I was just 9 years old (threw me hard, tossed my socks at me and called me an asshole).

About a month ago, me and my dad were doing something on my PC and I got frustrated and drove off to some random parking lot downtown. Then while I was gone my dad checked my messenger (assuming it was his), and saw that during my earlier conversations with my mom, I called him a "stupid motherfucker" and mocked him for staying sooo long with his dumbshit drug-addict of a wife (they're currently separated). I drove back and pulled into the driveway, and dad was standing there staring at me. Then I got out and he told me what he'd read in like that scary pissed-off tone of his, then he stormed off back to the house. So I immediately got back in my car and drove off to my mom's to stay there for a couple of days.

So I obviously would not put it past my dad to fight me and I wasn't about to risk it until I was absolutely fucking ready to go back. So I eventually did and things had cooled off so it was okay. But now whenever he's mad he throws the "stupid motherfucker" incident in my face, which... LOL the nerve! Thankfully this Savannah Tech program only lasts a year so I can fucking ditch him eventually (karmaaaa).

But I'm over this now. It's the ditching part that's stressful, but after that's done, no one will dictate my life but me. I'll finally be my own woman.

----

On a much lighter note: my Chemistry final in May 2016. It was like the ultimate finale, the one thing standing between me and graduation, so I was sweating bullets the whole time. And that class was the hardest I'd ever taken so I was constantly doubting myself. Then I passed it... and the graduation ceremony turned out to be not-so-great anyway. But hey, I was one of the few in my family to actually make it
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Geez, @kupomog, that guy was fucked up!

My cousin seemingly had a ghost in his bedroom as a toddler. Aunt and uncle decided to move as soon as they could.

A scary/weird moment in my recent life: guy I was messin' around with suddenly covered my mouth and blew really hard up my nose. I thought my brain was going to explode, but my ears just popped. (Ya, don't trust college freshmen who claim to know anything about BDSM. No consent for the weird breath stuff and no aftercare.)
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Thread Information