Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simpsons Comics Reviews

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it's the same fucking thing, but for comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamtasm View Post

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but no one here has really reviewed the comics before so at least it's something a bit different.

Blog Entries

but if you guys give a shit about the comics, why don't you just read the comics instead of some swedish guy with an awful grasp on the english language ranting about them?

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bubsy3dfangirl View Post
    but if you guys give a shit about the comics, why don't you just read the comics instead of some swedish guy with an awful grasp on the english language ranting about them?
    First of all, it's interesting to see someone review the comics for once, as Fudgey said. Second of all, OSS likes the comics enough to not rant about them, the two reviews he's done so far are actually really calm. Third of all, he is FAR more adept at the English language than most foreign members. Want to see awful grasp of the language, go to the English version of Wikisimpsons, pick a random page, odds are it'll be written in Engrish.

Blog Entries

way to completely miss my point

way to completely miss my point
    As a fan of the Simpsons comics, it's interesting to see reviews of them. Simple as that.

Blog Entries

as a fan of my brain cells, reviews are pointless. simple as that.

as a fan of my brain cells, reviews are pointless. simple as that.
    Because you DEFINITELY have to read the reviews and then spoil it for the people who enjoy it.

Blog Entries

just saying, we don't need twenty review threads when they're all the same. they could easily go into the regular episode r&rs rather than clogging the forum.

just saying, we don't need twenty review threads when they're all the same. they could easily go into the regular episode r&rs rather than clogging the forum.
    Uh-huh, and the comic reviews should go in the comic R&Rs. Oh wait, they don't exist.

Blog Entries

the comic reviews should go in the garbage. this is more about the 10+ episode threads

the comic reviews should go in the garbage. this is more about the 10+ episode threads
    I was referring to the comic reviews when I said about you spoiling it for the people who enjoy it, as you were with the brain cells comment.

Blog Entries

and i was referring to all the awful threads clogging up the simpsons section

and i was referring to all the awful threads clogging up the simpsons section
    You were also referring to this thread, I'm sure.

Blog Entries

1 of this vs 10 of the others.

this isn't even 10% of the problem

1 of this vs 10 of the others.

this isn't even 10% of the problem
    But you had still harshly criticized this thread before, hence my confusion. My point stands, reviewing the Simpsons comics is a very rare thing so it's interesting for me, as a fan of the series. Don't try to ruin it for me because you don't like it, because guess what? You don't have to read it. And it's such a minor little thread, that's in a small section that barely anyone frequents, and which would only get updated now and then, and that you, as a person who does not read the Simpsons comics, have no business posting in.

Blog Entries

do you not get the point? this shit is clogging the general discussion, too.

do you not get the point? this shit is clogging the general discussion, too.
    But this one thread, which you had criticized on it's own merits, is perfectly harmless.

Blog Entries

i'm not sure i'd go that far.

it's still above decent threads

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Simpsons Comics #154
    Honey Nut Cheery D'ohs! 9/10

+ I like how the radio just keeps rambling up a ton of names of "who we will be back to".
    # Counted names: 26
    + When Homer swallows a bee: "Gulp? Gulp isn't good."
    # It turns out Homer was all worried over nothing. He's not allergic to bees at all.
    + More bees show up. Marge talks to Bart and Lisa; "Come on kids, let's go inside! You shouldn't have to watch your father die." "Aw, you never let us have any fun." Wow, geez. Dark.
    + Homer wants the bees to tell them where they live so he can "totally destroy" them. Yeah, that'll really make them listen to you, Homey. It turns out their nest is close to his own house.
    - "Darn you, stupid bees!" Well, it's Bongo after all... but still, it feels wrong to hear Homer say "Darn you".
    + Homer gets a pointy stick to strike back at the bees. Bart's answer to Marge's question as to what he will do with it; "Gee, I don't know... Poke himself in the eye, stab himself in the foot..."
    + Homer suddenly thinks he's gonna die when he swallows raw bee honey! Fucking idiot!
    + Homer's paralyzed face when he is mesmerized by how damn delicious the honey tastes is golden.
    + "Um, mom, what was that number for 911 again?"
    ++ "Do you mean to tell me you risked your life and thus your loving family's precious future and security for a little fresh honey? Homer, how could you possibly be so thoughtless?" "Uh... Lots and lots of practice?" This feels like a Scully era joke, which is probably why it's so freaking funny.
    +++ When Marge tells Homer how he could get rich on selling honey: "Are you serious, Marge?" "As serious as your last three heart attacks." Hahaha, oh my God! That's sick as fuck!
    +++ Flanders talks with Homer about his beekeeping: "So you are building yourselves an apiary over there, eh?" Stupid Flanders. Didn't you hear a single word I said? I'm raising bees here, not giant gorillas." Man, this issue sure doesn't fail in the comedy department. Every joke has been hit so far.
    + Homer tries to come up with a name for his honey. How about Froot Loops?
    + Flanders tastes the honey and loves it so much he buys... I don't know, 15 damn jars? Holy crap. Not really hilarious, but had he chuckling.
    - Marge tells Moe to tell about the honey to his friends. I'm tired of all these jokes claiming Moe is so alone.
    + Ah, Mr. Burns appears. And he's in classic top form. For some reason, he thinks people are selling honey to catch flies for some reason.
    ++ I'm glad they are also using his ol' fashioned vocabulary with words like poppycock and phrases like "By Godfrey!"
    + Apu says "Oh dear me, Mr. Homer, this is so terribly embarrasing." and Homer thinks his buttcrack is showing again.
    + Of course, that's not the case. Burns is clogging Homer's business with his own honey! Burns' Generic Honey. What a great, great name.
    # It turns actually that even though Mr. Burns is taking over the market, his honey is actually less tastier than Homer's.
    + Lisa tells Homer he should fight against Mr. Burns. But not the kind of fighting he thinks about himself, so he's confused.
    - Homer doesn't listen to Lisa's idea and starts mumbling about "snap-down bars" which he mentioned earlier. It's not the fact that he didn't listen to Lisa I don't find funny, since they've executed it well several times. This just wasn't that joke done right.
    ++ Homer uses a tiny whip to make the bees produces honey faster. Hehe.
    + Mr. Burns doesn't understand why his honey sales are going so bad considering his smiling face is on every jar. Yeah, smiling face all right...

+ Burns tries his honey out. "That slop tasted like cabdriver stockings!" "Not nearly as good actually, sir."
    # Burns is stealing the Simpsons' honey but accidentally leaves a jar behind. Why would he be so stupid to not clean up his tracks? Doesn't fall right with me.
    ++ Now his honey is called Burns' Improved Honey. Yeeeeaaaaah... Not suspicious at all...
    + Marge says "Oh for the love of Pete!" and it's implied Homer mistakes her for cheating on him. Even Bongo Comics sneaks in their innuendos.
    + "Of all the bloody cheek!"? Heh, didn't know Burns ever swore in British.
    + "What do you know that I don't?" "Wow, that's a list that could take all day." Oh, snap!
    + Even though Smithers clearly has been stung by bees, Mr. Burns is not arrested. Well, it's Chief-fucking-Wiggum after all, so who's baffled? Funny, nonetheless, especially Smithers saying "Ow" while trying to "prove" Burns' innocence.
    + So the bears are eating all of his honey (Bart made sure they were transported to Burns' apiary) and he, being the fool he is, orders the bears to be fired!
    + To no avail. Turns out the bears are harmless, but Bart wants the owner of them to wait an hour before telling Mr. Burns.

This was an awesome issue! The plot is real standard fare, but I was laughing so much it didn't matter. Homer mostly had a solid characterization, there was a hilarious dark joke which possibly could have been a wink to Homer's Triple Bypass and Mr. Burns' role in the episode was... excellent. Never passes an opportunity to be a greedy bitch. He was his old self; not too dumb, not at all nice and while not superbly clever... the clumsy police force lets anything he does slip by. One of the few failed jokes was Marge telling Moe he should spread the word to his friends about the honey, but that's a pretty harmless one. Didn't think about that one for too long. They did a good job at sneakin in the whole Simpsons family, so it wasn't just "Homer gets a job" which we have gotten so many times. They all worked together as a team, which I liked.
    A great comic where the facial expressions by Phil Ortiz always deliver. Too bad his art kinda went downhill later on, but here he's top-notch.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 07-06-2016 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Great issue. The heart attack line stayed with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Fakename View Post
    Great issue. The heart attack line stayed with me.
    Yeah, it's a perfect example of using a very simple story to its fullest extent. This is from Simpsons Comics Colossal Compendium Volume Two and I think it's one of the best comics in there.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 07-11-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Blog Entries

i have read many many simpsons comics and i remember like none of them

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpit View Post

Yeah, it's a perfect example of using a very simple story to its fullest extent. This is from Simpsons Comics Colossal Compendium Volume Two and I think it's one of the best comics in there.
    Since you probably collect the compendiums, could you review "Homer Beats the Heat" for me?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alias Fakename View Post
    Since you probably collect the compendiums, could you review "Homer Beats the Heat" for me?
    Sure, should be quick. I'll come back with it later today or tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Homer Beats The Heat 8/10

+ Homer thinks the reason Lisa's sweating is because she was chased by "a scary mailman".
    + "I'm not gonna let some stupid ball of fire in the sky or the post office ruin my daughter's summer!"
    + Homer's going to show Lisa how to be coo- sorry I mean, keep cool. Stupid Homer.
    + While Homer's advice of putting ice cubes in a pocket isn't a half-bad idea, Lisa... doesn't have pockets. I saw this as a pretty amusing meta-joke concerning something people rarely have thought about.
    + Homer thinks of the idea to live in the power plant... but Lisa poke holes at his plan when she mentions how the rest of her family won't have anywhere to sleep.
    + "Y'know Lisa, it's easy to criticize, but it's so hard to come up with reasons I'm right." This almost feels like straight out of the show, doesn't it?
    + Homer "borrows" Kent's pool... in the middle of the night. Only to be confronted by him armed to the teeth.
    - One of Homer's ideas to keep cool is having dinner under the sprinklers. Eh. Weak joke.
    + Another one is a giant fan. This actually would a good idea if the car wasn't in the way to blow away and he and Lisa... Okay, maybe it wasn't a good idea after all.
    + Homer takes Lisa to the retirement castle. "There's nothing more chilly than the hand of death" is his reasoning." I, uuuhm... suppose? Either way, this is one of the best jokes in the comic.
    # Homer tells Lisa she should give him credit for trying. Pretty ironic, since he himself once gave her the lesson "Never try."
    ++ When Lisa complains about Homer stealing Flanders' air conditioner, Homer (angrily) suggests she buys one herself. "But I'm only eight years old." "That's your answer for anything."
    ++ This is a joke so hilarious I had to show you a frame of it! This is probably Homer's worst idea yet to try and make Lisa feel warmer...

+ They doze off because of the toxic fumes and end up at the hospital. Well since they are being cooled, I guess Homer... succeeded?
    ? What does Marge mean with "We're still apologizing to Walt Disney's family"?

While Summer Shindig is one of my least favorite Bongo offerings, they do still have some good stories in it. This is one of them. The concept gleefully allows creative ways to show Homer screwing something up and it's pretty fun to watch. While only two of the jokes are absolutely hilarious, there was pretty good dialogue and several good absurd situations. Some solid Homer/Lisa banter has been missing a long time on the show, but I'm glad to see it in the comics at least.
    What I like is that even though he failed at almost every idea he came up with, Homer was still being a nice caring father. If he hadn't put his heart into it, he wouldn't have gone such a long way to help Lisa cool off.
    This is hardly an amazing story, most of the shorter ones never really get a 9 or 10 from me. But it's recommendable.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 07-06-2016 at 01:20 AM.

SIMPSONSENTHUSIAST SideShowRaja's Avatar

What specific Simpsons comic book, is your favorite, from the entire series thus far? and Why? I love the second one, correct me, if I am wrong, but Bartman whole face is on the cover.
    Last edited by SideShowRaja; 04-09-2015 at 10:02 PM.

"The most rewarding part was when he gave, me my money" Dr. Nick[/SIZE]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowRaja View Post
    What comic specific comic book, is your favorite, from the entire series thus far? and Why? I love the second one, correct me, if I am wrong, but Bartman whole face is on the cover.
    My favorite is the Treehouse Of Horror series. Simpsons Comics can still really deliver nowadays, like issue #216 with the Burnsie dolls, but Treehouse Of Horror always delivers. I loved the zombie special issue more than expected, and the Treehouse Of Horror art is always top-notch. Any issue Hilary Barta is an artist in is an issue worth buying.

SIMPSONSENTHUSIAST SideShowRaja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpit View Post

My favorite is the Treehouse Of Horror series. Simpsons Comics can still really deliver nowadays, like issue #216 with the Burnsie dolls, but Treehouse Of Horror always delivers. I loved the zombie special issue more than expected, and the Treehouse Of Horror art is always top-notch. Any issue Hilary Barta is an artist in is an issue worth buying.
    I personally really liked that one, but wish, it wasn't a Treehouse Of Horror edition.

Blog Entries

This time I decided to go for a real oldie...

Simpsons Comics #17
    What's The Frequency, Simpson? 9.2/10

+++ I love the opening page! Really, have you seen a Homer more pissed off and tired than here? Phil Ortiz really is an incredible character artist. He puts the sterile animation in modern Simpsons to shame.
    + Bart keeps zapping the channels (while Homer tries to fix the antenna, even though he doesn't need to) and we get some good bits like Troy McClure rambling up past work again as well as Dr. Nick's new invention: H3O!
    # An empty channel pops up where the only thing we see is a text displaying "This channel for rent". It's a nice way to prelude the plot which will later kick in.
    ++ Homer's expression when he learns Bart tricked him is priceless.
    ++ So is his expression when he ominously utters "Must punish the boy...".
    + I like how Bart is delusional enough to think he can fool his mom that he's paying a visit to the library.
    + Bart's statement on television "Comedy, tragedy, what's the difference as long as it's entertaining!" rings oh so true.
    ++ "Are you planning on programming some kind of smut?" "Of course not!" "Oh well, I'll rent it to you anyway." I'm only 6 pages in, and the satire of television is just brilliant.
    + Bart and Lisa's name of their show (Simply Simpsons) is cute.
    ++ Nelson's anger over Martin's overly sophisticated way of asking Bart is he can join in on his and his sis' show, or should I say, channel ("Do you think I might be able to join your merry band?") is great. It's the bully I know and love, which is no wonder though since this issue was made in 1996.
    + The following page showcases the new team members and their talents on Simply Simpsons. Ralph's is kinda eh, but Martin and Nelson's are funny. The background with all the angry competitors is nicely colored red by Nathan Kane. He's a way better colorist than editor.
    + Lionel Hutz does a hilariously poor attempt to make Bart and Lisa to shut down their channel. He fails. Well, geez, what do you expect when you literally just tell them "the guys at the network" wants them to stop broadcasting??
    ++ Dr. Nick thinks about himself thinking.
    ++ Krusty's panicking: "No ratings mean no advertising, no advertising means no money...", and so on. His worried face sells the joke the best.
    + Bart wakes up and rambles about... Look, I actually no idea what he's talking about! That's how confusing he comes off as.
    + Lisa starts to think their channel might have been a mistake, as they haven't really checked if their stuff is good enough. But Bart is not convinced they are taking the wrong step. This is a solid conflict, as we knew it would come to this sooner or later.
    + Mr. Burns is entirely convinced no one likes to watch monkeys simply scratching themselves, but Homer's the odd man out! Heh.
    + His demand if the other people in the TV business wants help is if he can tap dance on all of their shows. At first it might sound like an odd scenario, but he actually has danced a couple times, like in Lady Bouvier's Lover and Two Dozen And One Greyhounds. If this is a nod to past episode history, I've got to give Andrew Gottlieb props.
    + I don't quite get the "offensive joke" with Milhouse that Reverend Lovejoy gets upset about, but Milhouse in the dumb dress-up is genuinely amusing.
    + Lovejoy tries to get people to boycott Simply Simpsons, but no one's on his side. Well, so much for Burns' plan. Someone's even attracted to Martin!
    + Bumblebee Man is acting very weird since his show has been doing bad (he also quoted Sir Walter Scott earlier in the story), and now even quotes MacBeth, which funnily enough makes Krusty laugh for no reason. I'm incredibly fond of the notion that once he's not on air, he's a serious, even philosophical man. I find this persona just as funny as his wacky TV personality.
    + Taking a break, Bart and Lisa watch an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon where Scratchy's made into a statue. I sometimes feel like these work better on television, but still a good one.
    + When Lisa says "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?", Bart's... not thinking what's she's thinking. Instead, he's just pondering over a Krusty product.
    -/+ I feel a little disappointed that we didn't get to see that much of their channel (the second half is more about the network trying to stop them), but it's worth it for Lisa's wonderfully ironic comment about how the Simpsons can't change television.
    + Ralph repeats his paste bit (although this time with Bumblebee Man), but BB Man's predictably disgusted reaction makes me chuckle.
    + Bart tells Lisa he would've shot the scene differently. A future director?
    ++ Homer is laughing so much at that poor bit that it's hilarious. I think I'll show it to you:

Jesus, he looks frickin' nuts!

Ah, the classics. The old era of Simpsons Comics is still my favorite. You know, when Tim Bavington was onboard, the stories were the most well-written and satirical and the characters were almost like those on the show. Later on they became more exaggerated (especially when Ian Boothby got crazier and crazier with his gags), although the great humor that followed with them still kept me entertained. Nevertheless, I appreciate how down to earth this issue is. The humor is pretty subtle at times, and there are superb jokes throughout while also keeping the story very focused and progressing nicely. Maybe a little too much time was spent on the reactions to Simply Simpsons and more on the channel itself would have been beneficial, but the resolution, while reeking of status quo, felt justified. Bart and Lisa are great here; bored little kids putting on too much workload on something they hoped would be fun. Mostly they get along well, and I've honestly always liked them a lot better as a duo than sibling enemies. Even though they on one point in the story didn't agree, they never really actually fought with each other.
    And it's not only a great issue (there are two more stories, but writing about the first one was already exhausting enough, so maybe another time), but very nostalgic for me as well. This is part of the paperback Simpsons Comics Strike Back!, which I got as a birthday present and was the first time I ever found out that my beloved television show... also had a comic book! I was amazed, to say the least, and have fond memories of flipping it through more times than I can count.
    What's The Frequency, Simpson? is frequently entertaining.

Thread Information