Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final Analysis/Rate & Review: Season 25

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

You know what I noticed about Season 25? I think every single episode showed one of the main characters using an iPhone or iPad at some point in the episode. That's the kind of little thing that makes me find the modern episodes annoying. It's like, we get it, guys, you're "relevant".

That said, though, Season 25 I thought was better than Season 24 and not that bad for a modern season.
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    You know what I noticed about Season 25? I think every single episode showed one of the main characters using an iPhone or iPad at some point in the episode. That's the kind of little thing that makes me find the modern episodes annoying. It's like, we get it, guys, you're "relevant".
    Not to pick on you specifically, Nitsy, but I find that a lot of people criticize the use of modern technology in the new episodes because they're trying to be relevant. With that logic, The Simpsons shouldn't have overused the TV back in the classic era because by using the TV, they were also trying to be "relevant." Technology is a part of our culture today, and not including that in the episodes would cause The Simpsons to be criticized for being "outdated."

That being said, I too am annoyed by the use of technology in the modern episodes, but not because they're trying to be relevant. What makes the use of laptops and cell phones in the newer episodes worse than the use of TVs in the old episodes is the fact that the satire done on the newer technology is just so weak. "MyPod," "Funtendo Zii," and "MyTube" are just weak parodies and obvious reference-filled nods to very specific corporations and products. On the other hand, the pop culture references with the TV back in the classic era were much sharper, funnier, and less specific, which made them that much better. We had "Up Late with McBain," a parody of late night TV with an actual recurring character, and the purposely bad "Mad About Shoe" and "NYPD Shoe" parodies, among others.

So tl;dr, the use of technology in the newer episodes is annoying, but not because they're trying to be relevant; it's because of the poor execution they're doing with the technological parodies. I'd be okay with Bart pulling out a smartphone once in a while, but a MyPhone? No.

Well I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that they don't seem to be trying very hard with the parodies. A generic smartphone with no specific reference would be far less annoying than a "MyPhone". And sometimes there is no parody at all, such as when Facebook and Twitter are mentioned. Sometimes I feel like these references don't add anything to the episode; it's one thing for a parody on a TV show to be funny, but Bart getting assigned "20 minutes of Twittering" or a random shot of a character using an iPhone with nothing funny about...it just seems gratuitous.

I find it funny that they even self-parodied this fact in S21:

Flanders: Now let us upload the holy Tweet of the Lord.
    Agnes Skinner: Stop making this relatable!
    Jimbo Jones: Hey! As a youth, if I don't hear a computer word every few seconds, I'm out of here.

It just seems like it's a little insulting to my intelligence, as if they think that young audiences need to hear these tech-references or they won't be interested in the episode. If the reference is funny, then by all means, go ahead. But sometimes it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the humor. When the TV show parodies were shown, it was because they were funny. But what's funny about Bart using an iPhone? It's just there because it's modern.

Gonna explode Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am pretty much fine with the use of technology in the show. Like I have said and @pkkao said, the use of modern technology makes the show more realistic and a part of the 21st century. If they didn't use it, it would just look strange. And @Nitsy, not everything technologically-based has to be funny. Bart can be pulling out an iPhone because he's sending a text message or looking up something, which is something completely realistic and understandable. I don't see why it has to contain a joke in order to be acceptable.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

It doesn't have to be funny but I was comparing it to the use of TV since it was mentioned that the Simpsons made parodies of TV shows that were on at the time during the classic era--and therefore the use of TV was more about the parody of the shows than it was about the TV itself. Whereas it does seem like they want to make sure they have enough use of modern technology in each episode and it doesn't necessarily add anything. Remember, I'm not saying this stuff shouldn't be in the episodes at all, I'm just questioning its usage in almost every single episode.

In the 90s, pagers were big, and yet I can only think of one episode where Homer has a pager. In the early-to-mid 2000s, cell phones (non-smart) were pretty big, yet there are few mentions of cell phones in Seasons 11-18. It isn't until the HD era that mentions of modern technology (and specific brands) become a regular appearance in episodes, sometimes appearing more than once in one episode.

This is just my personal feeling. If every now and then we see a character use a smartphone, so be it. That shows that the show takes place now. But the fact that in almost every episode we have to hear "Twitter" mentioned and we have to zoom in on a character using an iPhone...it just bugs me. I don't see why it's necessary. In the 90s and 2000s episodes, we weren't constantly reminded "THIS SHOW TAKES PLACE IN THE NINETIES" or something like that. Every now and then something would come up that dated it, but it wasn't common.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Bob's Burgers doesn't have the characters whip out tablets in every single episode, and it still finds a way to still feel modern.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The use of tech as an excuse to sound 'modern' is really a non-starter of an argument.

Because we all KNOW back in the 90s Bart would pump up his shoes while on the court trading pogs while rocking his pager. Not mention Lisa would show off her scrunchie collection while listening to her discman. Meanwhile, Homer would be using his super-sized brick cellphone and constantly go over his 20 min. plan while Marge would bitch about AOL in every episode. Blah, blah, blah...

In the 90's, the writers knew "less is more". They were smart enough to give us a world where the same tech was used, but didn't need to be TELLING us what was technologically hip, unless the writers have an Apple fetish. (or, they've run out of guest stars and the iPhone IS the guest star)

Also, Clint Eastwood and Arnold Swartenegger were parodied by McGarnical and McBain....Imagine what kind of names the current level of clever would think of....

Mine Meastwood!? Marnold Swartzenmegger!?

Ugh.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Not to pick on you specifically, Nitsy, but I find that a lot of people criticize the use of modern technology in the new episodes because they're trying to be relevant. With that logic, The Simpsons shouldn't have overused the TV back in the classic era because by using the TV, they were also trying to be "relevant." Technology is a part of our culture today, and not including that in the episodes would cause The Simpsons to be criticized for being "outdated.".
    The family didn't say "I wonder what's on the Sony?" every time they turned on the TV.

Blog Entries

I don't really mind if a character just kinda has a smartphone or a tablet what I do have a problem with is when the show feels the need to draw to much attention to the modern technology often having long stretches of gags just devoted to them IE The first 10 minutes of "A Tree Grows In Springfield" or "Specs in the City" it just reeks of desperation.

Blog Entries

My dad gave me his season 25 ratings based on what he's seen:

Homerland: 3/5
    YOLO: 4/5 (second best of the season)
    Labor Pains: 3/5
    Married to the Blob: 3/5
    Diggs: 3/5
    The Man Who Grew Too Much: 3.5/5
    The Winter of His Content: 3/5
    The War of Art: 5/5 (his favorite HD episode)
    You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee: 3/5
    Luca$: 3/5
    Days of Future Future: 0/5 (his least favorite episode of the series)
    What to Expect When Bart's Expecting: 3/5
    Brick Like Me: 4/5
    Pay Pal: 4/5 (third best of the season)
    The Yellow Badge of Cowardge: 3/5

I vote that we get pkkao's dad to make his own modern simpsons episode reviews.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Second.

Homerland : C-
    Treehouse Of Horror XXVI : C-
    Four Regrettings And A Funeral : D
    Yolo : C-
    Labor Pains : B
    The Kid Is All Right : D
    Yellow Subterfuge : C+
    White Christmas Blues : C-
    Steal This Episode : B+
    Married To The Blob : D+
    Specs And The City : D+
    Diggs : F
    The Man Who Grew Too Much : D-
    The Winter Of His Content : C+
    The War Of Art : C
    I Dont Have To Live Like A Referee : B-
    Luca$ : C-
    Days Of Future Future : D+
    What To Expect What Barts Expectin : D
    Brick Like Me : B
    Pay Pal : D+
    The Yellow Bage Of Cowardge : C+

Season grade : D+

Im in this vent until we move Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know I did it on the thread Homer The Stonecutter made, but I'll share it here:

1: Steal This Episode: 9/10 (The best this season, with a perfect piracy satire)
    2: Brick Like Me: 8.5/10
    3: Four Regrettings And A Funeral: 7.5/10
    4: Labor Pains: 6.5/10
    5: The Man Who Grew Too Much: 6/10 (OK Bob episode, not the best by miles)
    6: You Don´t Have To Live Like A Referee: 6/10
    7: Specs And The City: 5.5/10
    8: Days Of Future Future: 4/10 (way worse than Holidays of Future Passed)
    9: Yellow Subterfuge: 3.5/10 (needs rewatch)
    10: Married To The Blob: 3.5/10 (never was interested in this episode)
    11: The Winter Of His Content: 2.5/10 (needs rewatch)
    12: What To Expect When Bart Is Expecting: 2.5/10 (Meh. People call it the worst of the season, It's still bad, but not the worst)
    13: Treehouse Of Horror XXIV: 2/10 (Loads of Jerkass Bart, and repeated plots! Also Martin dies)
    14: The War Of Art: 1.5/10 (Just wasn't for me)
    15: Homerland: 1.5/10 (Repeated reviews ruin it for me)
    16: YOLO: 1.5/10 (Terrible title)
    17: The Yellow Badge Of Cowardage: 1/10
    18: Pay Pal: 1/10 (Lisa gets ANOTHER Friend? That was 4 episodes ago!)

19: Luca$: 0.5/10
    20: The Kid Is All Right: 0/10 (I'd rather watch Sideshow Bob Roberts)
    21: Diggs: 0/10 (Liks, I agree that this episode is the worst of the season)

Yet to be reviewed:
    White Christmas Blues: (needs rewatch)

Season Overview:
    Grade: F+
    Good/OK/Bad/NA Episodes: 4/3/14/1
    SEASON 32 SO FAR:

Undercover Burns: 2.5/5, I, Carumbus: 3.5/5, Now Museum, Now You Don't: 1/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXXI: 5/5 (Toy Gory: 5/5, Into The Homerverse: 2/5, Be Nine, Rewind: 6/5)
    The 7 Beer Itch: 0.5/5 - WORST OF SEASON
    Podcast News: 3/5, Three Dreams Denied: 1.5/5, The Road to Cincinnati: 3/5, Sorry Not Sorry: 2/5, A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas: 1.5/5
    The Dad Feelings Limited: 4/5
    Diary Queen: 2.5/5, Wad Goals: 2.5/5, Yokel Hero: 2.5/5, Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars?: ?/5, Manger Things: 1.5/5, Uncut Femmes: 4/5
    Burger Kings: 2.5/5, Panic in the Streets of Springfield: 3.5/5,
    The Man From G.R.A.M.P.A: 2/5, Mother and Child Reunion: 2.5/5,
    The Last Bar-Fighter: 5/5
    SEASON OVERALL: ???/5

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Liks

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homerland: 3/5
    Treehouse Of Horror XXIV: 4/5
    Four Regrettings And A Funeral: 3/5
    YOLO: 3/5
    Labor Pains: 1/5
    The Kid Is All Right: 1/5
    Yellow Subterfuge: 1/5
    White Christmas Blues: 3/5
    Steal This Episode: 5/5
    Married To The Blob: 2/5
    Specs And The City: 3/5
    Diggs: 2/5
    The Man Who Grew Too Much: 1/5
    The Winter Of His Content: 3/5
    The War Of Art: 4/5
    You Don't Have To Live Like A Referee: 3/5
    Luca$: 1/5
    Days Of Future Future: 1/5
    What To Expect When Bart's Expecting: 1/5
    Brick Like Me: 4/5
    Pay Pal: 1/5
    The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge: 1/5

Season: 2.3/5

Miserable season. When season 25 wasn't in a game of limbo to see how low the series could possibly sink, it simply bored me out of my mind with some of the thinnest narratives in the history of the show.
    The Simpsons, Season 32:

Undercover Burns - 3/5
    I, Carumbus - 5/5
    Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 5/5
    The 7 Beer Itch- 2/5
    Podcast News- 5/5
    Three Dreams Denied- 1/5
    The Road To Cincinnati- 3/5
    Sorry Not Sorry- 4/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas For Christmas- 3/5

Wow, this may have been the first thread I ever responded to and I didn't even answer the question. Season 25 is the season of low-effort titles, giving us no fewer than three truly awful titles for the books: Luca$, Diggs, and YOLO. When did it become acceptable to name an episode after an unremarkable one-off character? But bad titles don't mean the season is bad. It is bad, but it wasn't the titles that made it bad. Here's my ranking:

Steal This Episode/Brick Like Me/You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee/The War of Art/Specs and the City all get 4's
    The Winter of His Content/Married to the Blob/Four Regrettings and a Funeral/The Man Who Grew Too Much/YOLO/Treehouse of Horror XXIV/White Christmas Blues/The Yellow Badge of Cowardage/Yellow Subterfuge all get 3's
    Diggs/Homerland/Pay Pal/The Kid is All Right/Labor Pains get 2's
    What to Expect When Bart's Expecting/Luca$/Days of Future Future get 1's

Do you want some brownies? Evil Homer's Avatar

Agreed about the laziness of naming episodes after the one time character. Imagine if You Only Move Twice had been named Hank, and if Homer's Phobia had been named John.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Need help finding the 24 thread. Yet again, people refuse to call these threads the same thing year by year.

Blog Entries

SEASON 32 GRADES

Undercover Burns - 2.5/5 / I, Carumbus - 4/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 1.5/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 3.5/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - 1/5 / Podcast News - 4/5
    Three Dreams Denied - 2/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - 4/5 / Sorry Not Sorry - 3.5/5
    A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas - 3/5 / The Dad-Feelings Limited - 4.5/5
    Diary Queen - 3/5 / Wad Goals - 4/5 / Yokel Hero - 2/5
    Do PizzaBots Dream of Electric Guitars? - 3/5 / Manger Things - 2/5 / Uncut Femmes - 4.5/5
    Burger Kings - 2.5/5 / Panic on the Streets of Springfield - 3/5 / Mother and Child Reunion - 2.5/5
    The Man from G.R.A.M.P.A. - 3.5/5 / The Last Barfighter - 5/5

Diggs is my favourite of the season tbh i also enjoyed labor pains

Blog Entries

My own rating list (out of 100)
    Great
    None
    Very good
    None
    Good
    «Brick Like Me» 84 (B+)
    «Steal This Episode» 83 (B+)
    «Pay Pal» 82 (B)
    «Homerland» 81 (B)
    «The Yellow Badge of Cowardge» 80 (B)
    «You Don’t Have to Live Like a Referee» 79 (B)
    «Luca$» 77 (B-)
    «Married to the Blob» 75 (B-)
    «White Christmas Blues» 74 (B-)
    «Four Regrettings and a Funeral» 73 (B-)
    «YOLO» 72 (B-)
    «Labor Pains» 72 (B-)
    «Diggs» 71 (B-)
    «The War of Art» 71 (B-)
    «Specs and the City» 70 (B-)
    Very decent
    «The Man Who Grew Too Much» 68 (C+)
    «Days of Future Future» 68 (C+)
    Decent
    None/All above
    Bad
    «What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting» 63 (C+)
    «Treehouse of Horror XXIV» 59.67 (C)
    «The Winter of His Content» 59 (C)
    Very bad
    «Yellow Subterfuge» 52 (C-)
    Awful
    «The Kid Is All Right» 49 (D+)

Average score 71.03 (B-) (GOOD)
    Good to bad ratio (68%/32%)
    Maximum plenty of good episodes 5
    IMHO the best and the worst episodes of each season (in bold — the best and worst of overall series, upd. 02/03/21):
    1. Moaning Lisa/Some Enchanted Evening 2. Bart vs. Thanksgiving/Itchy & Scratchy & Marge 3. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington/The Otto Show 4. Homer’s Triple Bypass/Selma’s Choice 5. Secrets of a Successful Marriage/Homer the Vigilante 6. Two Dozen and One Greyhounds/Lisa’s Rival 7. Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily/Homerpalooza 8. My Sister, My Sitter/The Homer They Fall 9. Miracle on Evergreen Terrace/Bart Star 10. Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken/Monty Can’t Buy Me Love 11. Days of Wine and D’oh’ses/Pygmoelian 12. Homer vs. Dignity/New Kids on the Blecch 13. Poppa’s Got a Brand New Badge/Weekend at Burnsie’s 14. Moe Baby Blues/Helter Shelter 15. Fraudcast News/Co-Dependent’s Day 16. Goo Goo Gai Pan/A Star Is Torn 17. The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play 18. 24 Minutes/Treehouse of Horror XVII 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20. Coming to Homerica/Treehouse of Horror XIX 21. Chief of Hearts/The Greatest Story Ever D’ohed 22. The Blue and the Gray/Elementary School Musical 23. A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again/Moe Goes from Rags to Riches 24. Hardly Kirk-ing/Gorgeous Grampa 25. Brick Like Me/The Kid Is All Right 26. Bart’s New Friend/Bull-E 27. Halloween of Horror/Treehouse of Horror XXVI 28. Looking for Mr. Goodbart/Havana Wild Weekend 29. Flanders’ Ladder/No Good Read Goes Unpunished 30. Baby You Can’t Drive My Car/The Clown Stays in the Picture 31. The Way of the Dog/The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby
    The Simpsons season ratings:
    1 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 8 > 5 > 9 > 12 > 20 > 21 > 10 > 27 > 17 > 24 > 15 > 18 > 13 > 26 > 14 > 29 > 19 > 31 > 25 > 28 > 30 > 16 > 11 > 23 > 22

I think that thoughts may differ, because so many people, so many opinions.

Thread Information