View Poll Results: Did American Dad's run on FOX end on a high?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 - Alien Vs. Comedian

4 22.22%
  • 4/5 - 2014: A Space Odyssey

5 27.78%
  • 3/5 - Probing the Distance

5 27.78%
  • 2/5 - Stay Lost in Space

3 16.67%
  • 1/5 - Men in Black II

1 5.56%

Thread: R&R - American Dad - "The Longest Distance Relationship"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R - American Dad - "The Longest Distance Relationship"

Original Air Date: May 18th, 2014

Hayley, still heartbroken over Jeff’s abduction, meets millionaire Matt Davis, who begins to help her move forward, until Steve and Snot discover that Jeff’s alive and trying to make it back to her.
    It's the last ever episode of "American Dad!" to air on FOX! Will it end it's run on a high note? Rate and Review!
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

I've yet to see the episode, but our old friend @Stupid Idiot made his thoughts known on TinyChat, which I will now share with you all as his ban does not expire for another few days.

toidi: and AD ended
    [12:56 AM] toidi: what a bad final FOX ep
    [12:56 AM] toidi: 2/5
    [12:56 AM] toidi: nothing of substance happened

Blog Entries

Well, that was... something. Pretty damn sad at the end. 3.5/5 rounded out to a 4/5.

I seriously hope the TBS season resolves this...
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Junior Camper

I seriously think they wrote this early last year in case the show wasn't revived.

Who knows what they will do in July?

Anyway, I'm not grading it right now, but if I were grading it, I'd give it about a 3.5 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanatorX View Post
    I seriously think they wrote this early last year in case the show wasn't revived.

Who knows what they will do in July?

Anyway, I'm not grading it right now, but if I were grading it, I'd give it about a 3.5 myself.
    The show isn't back in July, man. Too early.

Also... damn. This episode felt so much like a Futurama episode, except it beat itself in the balls too much. Watching the Jeff and Hayley relationship was great, but it got so shitty towards the end that it wasn't taking itself seriously anymore. I loved the moments where it did though, and the part where he tells Hayley to move on was a little touching. 2.5/5, 3 for the poll.

Also I think this was a minor nod to Futurama with Jeff's skin color, but possibly a nod to the Simpsons:

I can catch some great stuff with my eyes.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Well, that was a pretty damn crazy finale if there ever was one. That insane wormhole sequence and seeing Stan as an ape got the hardest laughs out of me, but I was literally tearing up when Jeff told Hayley to move on. To have it end on such a solemn yet somehow hopeful note like that is the kind of thing that's made me love this show even more as it's progressed. I really am gonna miss watching it Sunday nights on FOX (Animation Domination is as good as dead), but as long as TBS keeps up the quality through the following season, I don't see why AD! can't continue delivering new episodes for years to come.

So for now, it's time to say farewell to American Dad! You had a fantastic nearly-decade-long broadcast run. Let's hope your run on cable is just as great.

5/5

Blog Entries

Found this pretty boring.

It started off somewhat promising but it just kind of fell off near the end. The future thing was such a cool idea, but I felt like they kinda wasted it. Stan being in the body of a gorilla was one of the dumbest things i've seen on AD in a while.

The ending was pretty unexpected though. The AD writers have balls  not bringing Jeff back (yet anyway). 

2.5/5, 3/5 for poll

Blog Entries

I thought this a fine episode, not great but still good. I do think they somewhat wasted the worm hole time travel aspect thing.
    3/5

500-year-old Mongoose Cow zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What we have here is the American Dad equivalent to "Holidays of future past"; lots of dumb future jokes, and just enough sentimentality to make it memorable. 3/5

Blog Entries

I'm just gonna address the two things I didn't like in the episode first, because it's easier for me to talk a little more about things I hate. First off, the whole sequence that we also got a promo clip of showing Roger in disguise as Stan's other daughter, it ended on a fucking gross gag and it just felt way to Family Guy-ish in it's execution.

The second issue is that the future in which Jeff and Sinbad went into showcased just about everything I dislike about when shows like this (The Simpsons springs to mind instantly) attempt to show the distant future. It's always super fucking depressing. I get that in this particular context it made sense for Hayley to have wasted her life waiting for Jeff but did they really have to turn Francine into a hideous, botox-ridden ghoul, Steve and Snot into a gay couple by circumstance and Stan into a Gorilla? Granted, Stan's reasoning for being in a Gorillla body was amusing, but the fact that they felt the need to end our glimpse into this future with the Ape uprising taking place and Stan being instantly decapitated by them is just so damned unnecessary and depressing. I guess it goes to show that the writers have done a fine job of making the audience care about the characters when stuff like this is bothering to them, but still, is it too much to ask that a show depicts a future in which it's characters haven't been taken to some radical extreme change?

Now, aside from that, this was an enjoyable episode that took a rather surprising turn with Jeff and I do still look forward to seeing the conclusion of the arc next season in "Holy Shit, Jeff's Back!", but until then, I still can't help but view this episode as a sub-par entry when compared to "Lost in Space" or even "Naked to the Limit, One more Time" before it. Though if there was an episode that would be out there enough to leave a lasting impression with viewers as it marks the end of a decade long run on FOX, then this would without doubt be one to leave it's original network with. 3.5/5

Blog Entries

I want framegrabs of all the animation styles/transformations that Jeff and sinbad went through when they travelled into the wormhole. The only ones I distinctly remember are: The Futurama style, The Powerpuff girls style, Anime style, and The live action one. It went by pretty fast.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoony View Post
    I want framegrabs of all the animation styles/transformations that Jeff and sinbad went through when they travelled into the wormhole. The only ones I distinctly remember are: The Futurama style, The Powerpuff girls style, Anime style, and The live action one. It went by pretty fast.
    There was also an anime one, a voodoo doll one, one that depicted them as Santa and Krampus, South Park characters, Minecraft characters and one which looked like the RPG characters from "Dungeons and Wagons".

That's not all of them but the ones I was able to identify properly.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

For being the final FOX episode, this was shitty. I get why they ended it on a (sort of) cliffhanger, but still.....they couldn't have aired something else after this to end its broadcast run?

Like others have said, I agree that this episode started off promising and then went downhill. It was too much of a Futurama rip-off to me, and it portrayed the family's future as completely pathetic. Stan's body was amusing, yes, but to have him decapitated was heartless. Francine looked fucking disgusting, there is no way the family wouldn't have talked her out of something like that. And c'mon, Steve and Snot as a gay couple? I don't believe either of them would have done something like that, nor do I believe that Hayley would have seriously waited for 60 years for Jeff to return. I get that those things were supposed to be funny, but I didn't find them funny at all. That entire sequence seemed unlike American Dads! usual style, and the futuristic versions of them were completely unbelievable. It actually seemed more like something Family Guy would do, which is the reason why I don't watch that show anymore. Even Roger and Klaus, who are usually saving graces to otherwise shitty episodes, didn't do anything to save this. Klaus's lines were useless, and Roger was a fucking asshole....in an unamusing way. His cakes were funny, but to stab Matt Davis? It's like he can't just stop twisting the knife in Hayley's gut even further.

The only thing I enjoyed about this was Hayley's and Jeff's conversations, the Roger montage (up until he turned himself inside out), and Jeff telling Hayley to move on. Of course, since FOX released the "Holy Shit, Jeff's Back!" title, there is no real sense of wonder about his return because we know that he will. Which I'm happy about, but what is the point of the story arc when you tell us the ending ahead of time? Sure, we have to wait for the episode, but we still won't be surprised when it comes. American Dad! cares too much about its characters to keep a couple apart, yet they couldn't even bother to treat them with respect for what should have been an important episode.

Well, so long FOX, it was fun watching you on Sunday nights, but I have a feeling I'm only one of many who won't be giving you viewership anymore. And to American Dad!, congrats on such a milestone of having nearly a 10 year run on broadcast television, only to be snatched up by another network right away. Not too many shows get this privilege, and I hope you take advantage of more lenient censorship!
    Last edited by Sweet_Potatoes; 05-18-2014 at 08:13 PM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I'm just gonna address the two things I didn't like in the episode first, because it's easier for me to talk a little more about things I hate. First off, the whole sequence that we also got a promo clip of showing Roger in disguise as Stan's other daughter, it ended on a fucking gross gag and it just felt way to Family Guy-ish in it's execution.
    I'm surprised you found Roger's insides that disgusting, we've seen them before in "The Scarlett Getter." Did you find the execution in this one to be in poor taste, or do you not care for the gag at all? I didn't mind seeing his insides, and I did find it funny when the raccoons rolled him away, I just didn't like the context it took place in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_Skies View Post
    I'm surprised you found Roger's insides that disgusting, we've seen them before in "The Scarlett Getter." Did you find the execution in this one to be in poor taste, or do you not care for the gag at all? I didn't mind seeing his insides, and I did find it funny when the raccoons rolled him away, I just didn't like the context it took place in.
    Simply the context. It reminded me somewhat of an old Nickelodeon claymation short series called "Inside Out Boy", though significantly more gross looking in it's execution

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny_Skies View Post
    Of course, since FOX released the "Holy Shit, Jeff's Back!" title, there is no real sense of wonder about his return because we know that he will. Which I'm happy about, but what is the point of the story arc when you tell us the ending ahead of time? Sure, we have to wait for the episode, but we still won't be surprised when it comes. American Dad! cares too much about its characters to keep a couple apart, yet they couldn't even bother to treat them with respect for what should have been an important episode.
    Well, to be fair it's really just us dorks who keep up with copyright database title releases and such so everybody else is in the dark.

Unlike everybody else, I really really liked this one. I particularly loved the ending twist with Jeff, and even though everybody is fucked up in the future I think that was kind of the point. The future that Jeff arrives in is so fucking terrible that he has to go back to fix everything. I didn't think Stan in an ape body was that bad, it was a decent enough wacky joke. A lot of this was sweet and I love how they made Jeff into this great dude who immediately realizes the mistake he's made. (plus that wormhole sequence was awesome) The rest of it was pretty funny (the Klaus runner about his Saturn was great), even if Roger killing Millionaire Matt Davis at the end was a bit much.

I dunno... thought this was a very nice way to end their FOX run. And for once it was suitable season finale material. A lot better than "Da Flippity Flop" that's for damn sure.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

It's strange how Roger aged so much in, what, 60 years, considering he is already over 1600 years old...
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

^See I get that Jeff is supposed to go back and fix everything that was messed up about the future, but what I don't get is how he had anything to do with Stan's ape body, Francine's botched surgery, or Steve's relationship with Snot. I don't see how his presence/absence affects those things that all, so I hope it is resolved next season. I'll give this episode a lot more credit if that happens.
    @Charlie - I noticed that too! Roger is over 1601, he shouldn't age much over the course of 60 years. I just assumed he was wearing a persona since his "kids" were how old and he had to look the part, yet he still seemed to have aged a bit on his own.

Blog Entries

@Sunny_Skies, it might not be Jeff, but Hayley who has a bearing on those things. If she doesn't wait for Jeff, she'll be there to influence the family's decisions a little more due to not being preoccupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well, to be fair it's really just us dorks who keep up with copyright database title releases and such so everybody else is in the dark.
    They put the cover of that script on the Instagram, so it's not like it's just the copyright database.
    It would wrong to leave this empty...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post

The second issue is that the future in which Jeff and Sinbad went into showcased just about everything I dislike about when shows like this (The Simpsons springs to mind instantly) attempt to show the distant future. It's always super fucking depressing. I get that in this particular context it made sense for Hayley to have wasted her life waiting for Jeff but did they really have to turn Francine into a hideous, botox-ridden ghoul, Steve and Snot into a gay couple by circumstance and Stan into a Gorilla? Granted, Stan's reasoning for being in a Gorillla body was amusing, but the fact that they felt the need to end our glimpse into this future with the Ape uprising taking place and Stan being instantly decapitated by them is just so damned unnecessary and depressing. I guess it goes to show that the writers have done a fine job of making the audience care about the characters when stuff like this is bothering to them, but still, is it too much to ask that a show depicts a future in which it's characters haven't been taken to some radical extreme change?

Now, aside from that, this was an enjoyable episode that took a rather surprising turn with Jeff and I do still look forward to seeing the conclusion of the arc next season in "Holy Shit, Jeff's Back!", but until then, I still can't help but view this episode as a sub-par entry when compared to "Lost in Space" or even "Naked to the Limit, One more Time" before it. Though if there was an episode that would be out there enough to leave a lasting impression with viewers as it marks the end of a decade long run on FOX, then this would without doubt be one to leave it's original network with. 3.5/5
    Just watched and agree with everything you said here. I don't think Roger has been great this season, except for being Genevieve Vavance and the odd other episode. A bit of a let down for a finale and AD's final Fox episode, but it was decent enough. A generous 3.5/5, 7/10 B- seems right.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah I didn't care for this episode a 2/5 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

I really dug this one. Felt like an actual capper to the series on FOX, and went into a bizarre direction I never would have expected given the initial premise. Some things they went a little too far with, like future Francine and killing Future Stan, but overall it was a fun, funny goodbye to the series on FOX and I'll miss seeing this show on network TV. Very bittersweet moment for me watching this last episode, I'm just glad it was a good one. 4/5

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

People are gushing over this episode on AVClub, but I found it somewhat disappointing after last year's fresh and original "Lost in Space."

Like a couple posters have mentioned here, the ep falls victim--once again--to the worst aspect of American Dad: it gets way too dark in an unfunny and off-putting way. Why do so many episodes of AD do this? There's always something getting shot in the face or having its neck snapped or having its guts dragged across the ground or being decapitated etc etc. Its a well the show returns to far too frequently, and with some rare well-timed exceptions (like the head explosion in Cops and Roger), it's nearly always gross and unfunny. Sometimes I hear people say that AD's violence is "different" than Family Guy's for whatever reason, but by and large, they both feel extremely gratuitous and awkward.

Roger just murdering a guy for a super-weak reason at the end of this definitely applies. How could Haley even stand being around him at this point? I get that part of the appeal of Roger is the way he can get away with doing anything and being anyone. But to have him straight-up kill Haley's boyfriend in front of her? It cheapens the characters to believe that Haley wouldn't be plotting to destroy Roger in every episode after this one.

Anyway, enough venting about that moment. I liked a lot of the Jeff stuff, and Sinbad's lines were quite funny as well. Liked the wormhole homages, which can be found here by the way. Most of the rest of the episode just kind of floated around in "okay" territory. The 60-years-in-the-future thing had potential, but the fates of the family were either overly-gross (FRANCINE HOLY SMOKES), underwhelming (Roger) or dumb (Stan, Steve/Snot). The best thing they could come up with for Stan was this completely random ape thing that has nothing to do with him?

While I didn't think much of this ep, I'm curious to see where it all goes when we see Jeff again. I do think Jeff's space plot here has been a pretty good idea for the show and has left me interested in the grander continuity of it.

3/5 C
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Roger just murdering a guy for a super-weak reason at the end of this definitely applies. How could Haley even stand being around him at this point? I get that part of the appeal of Roger is the way he can get away with doing anything and being anyone. But to have him straight-up kill Haley's boyfriend in front of her? It cheapens the characters to believe that Haley wouldn't be plotting to destroy Roger in every episode after this one.
    THIS was my biggest problem with the episode. I don't understand how Roger can be responsible for Hayley losing TWO loves, and yet the writers will still have her talking to him as if nothing ever happened. I get that not every Hayley appearance has to even mention Jeff, and I know she and Roger a great duo when paired together, but come on....it's completely out of character (as well as disrespectful) towards it for Hayley to act as though Roger isn't responsible. Other than one episode where she beat him up a little, she hasn't as acted as though she blames him for any of this at all. If I were Stan or Francine, his ass would be out of house for breaking my daughter's heart TWICE. Yes I get that he can't go anywhere, but you would think the characters could, on occasion, hold him accountable for all of this.....it just seems strange to have a character go through heartbreak, but never truly get revenge on the character responsible for it in the first place.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Roger murdering "Millionaire Matt Davis" was pretty lame, I agree. Roger is, imo, always best when he gets some sort of comeuppance for his awful misdeeds. Sure he acted like an entitled brat and ended up getting his way at the end of "Frannie 911", but the episode ended with Stan throwing him in a door. Sure he buried both Stan and Francine alive in "Merlot Down Dirty Shame", but he ended up getting his ass kicked yet again by Stan AND losing his precious necklace. Sure there are other instances where maybe he does something awful (like the crawfish cookies) and we don't see him pay for it, but those feel more like pranks gone too far than something like murdering a poor guy who just happened to be in the same room as him under the pretense of "no witnesses" (and wouldn't that that make "Hayley" a witness too? plothole!)

Anyhow, I really did think this was a great episode apart from little things like that. It was a stupid way to get rid of a character who, imo, could have been an interesting recurring love interest for Hayley like they did with Debbie and Steve, or Hayley and Reggie. He was actually a really good character, but it's obvious the writers just said, "hey, we got to get rid of this random character to reset the status quo, how do we do that? oh yeah, Roger's our in-house sociopath, let's have him do it!". And yes, Roger has killed before, the subplot to "Virtual In-Stanity" is IMO a classic Roger subplot, but it really works in that episode because a.) his revenge is for a reason (a petty reason, yes, but that's what makes Roger great), and b.) the killings are so over the top and surreal it's hard to take them seriously. This was just cold-blooded murder and while it didn't ruin the episode for me, I can see how it would leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Other than that though and the way too grim future for the Smiths, this really was a great season finale/FOX series finale. Such a fun story and SO many great one-liners. Great continuation of the Jeff/Hayley arc as well. Jordan Blum and Parker Deay continue to be two of my favorite new writers on the show.
    Last edited by MindQuad; 05-20-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Loves the Simpsons Krustyburger's Avatar

This was the best American Dad episode I've seen in a long time. It was very touching. It made me really sad that Hailey waited 60 years for Jeff when she could have had a happy life with the millionaire, and then at the end when Jeff told her to move on while he is stuck in space, that was really sad too. Roger killing the millionaire was kind of funny and unexpected too. There were good jokes throughout the episode too, like Stan getting killed by the monkeys and the way Francine looked in the future. Great episode.

Thread Information