View Poll Results: How Would You Rate This Episode?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 I better go buy the Lego Simpson House!

65 53.72%
  • 4/5 550 Episodes and still enjoyable.

32 26.45%
  • 3/5 Lego or not this is more modern mediocrity.

12 9.92%
  • 2/5 Boy this episode really fell apart quickly....heh heh...ugghh.

6 4.96%
  • 1/5 Aw sonofa brick!

6 4.96%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Brick Like Me" (RABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Several sources list plenty of freeze frame gags throughout the episode. Neither of these sources are exactly the best, but the articles are accurate.

Yahoo TV
    MTV

Also, I hate how nearly every source missed the joke to this gag:

Everyone thinks that the two images have no difference, except that the woman is happy in the "After" picture. The sources all claim that it's a theme about accepting yourself for who you are. The actual gag is that in the second picture, the woman is the same size in plastic, but the figure drawn on her is thinner (leaving black space on either side of the body).

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tromboon

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I was trying to remember a gag about a giant MTV logo until I read the rest of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Chocolate View Post
    Moving on-- the visual palettes are quite vibrant to produce a light-mood atmosphere inspired by Homer's connections with the kids' mind; it sets up the whole stage for more comical and bizarre visual gags, which is really the main goal of the episode (and it deals with toys, c'mon!). This satire-lacking episode can, in this case, be easily forgivable-- satire and seriousness just simply isn't the most apt element here.
    Hmmm... this is probably why I didn't like this episode but everyone else seems to. When I think of "atmosphere," the more accurate word to describe what I picture is "mood" (just to clarify my previous comment about this episode not having any atmosphere). You have a point though, it did have a cheery and juvenile atmosphere, to my chagrin. (In fact, the cheeriness etc. was rather obnoxious, unlike any other episode I can think of that might have had a similar atmosphere).

Santa's Little Helper Bart The Lover's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+The episode skipped to the couch gag, which is good because the show is about Lego and the Lego opening would be major spoilers

+Homer is so caring towards his daughter in this one. It's no Lisa The Greek, but it still does the job

-The Hunger Games parody was boring. It's just another name change with the same jokes everybody knows about. Moving on.....

+I love how Lovejoy concludes there is no God because the bible didn't mention real life, but since Homer is just dreaming, it works because it shows Homer hates church but doesn't exactly loathe Christianity.

-Marge looks so fat in this one. She looks comparable to Homer.

-They could have made a great Skinner in legoland joke, but they decided to make another mommy's boy joke.

+CBG as the creator is really funny and full of one off lines that most stereotypical villains would say. He kinda reminds me of The Collector from THOH X.
    遠く、遠く、風で舞い上がる雲の上、
    ハヤブサは、空のようサイレント、一人で飛ぶ
    私は彼の孤独な叫びを聞く、
    彼は休むことができないことは、
    私は、空の曲がりくねった道に沿ってあなたと歩く
    私達は私達が愛するものから遠くだし、返すことはできませんことは、
    我々は再び見ることができないことは、私たちの出生国、

とき、私は今まで私の自宅を呼び出すための場所を見つけるのだろうか?
    悲しみは空に鷹のように旋回し、
    ときに私が今まで私の心を話す方法を見つけるだろう、
    知っている人には、一人に何ですか?

Blog Entries

it was cute and actually made me laugh at points, and I actually thought the heartfelt notion of homer wanting to be somewhere where "no one gets hurt" was a bit touching, and the idea that this lego springfield world kept reinforcing it all was a really nice touch... but there were of course normal modern simpsons flaws.

the biggest ringer was them alluding to the same plot of the lego movie and hammering it in with the emmett/wyldstyle brick statues being wheeled in the background. god that over-explaining shit gets on my nerves sometimes, and ruined an actual pretty funny self-aware line.

also: I thought the G.I. Joe ep of Community was actually almost on par with this one, if only getting the concept a tad better.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I think this episode was a lot of fun and a fresh breath of air. Yes, it can be seen as gimmicky and is quite similiar to The Lego Movie with the animation and all, but it was nice having them try something new and this one really worked in my opinion. The plot was quite amusing and interesting with the pararell real world/Lego world thing and was quite well-paced and had some good character moments between Homer and Lisa, there was lots of amusing Lego-related gags (that I think Lego fans will appreciate even more) as well as some otherwise fun little jokes and moments (such as Apu mistaking Homer for being intolerant towards him and the Galaxy set ending); I also liked how they avoided the classic trope when Homer embarassed Lisa infront of her older friends by revealing that they play with Lego together and are building a mini version of the town and instead of the girls reacting negatively and leaving Lisa because of it, they don't mind it and still plan on watching the movie with her.

Right off the bat, the only thing I didn't like was the half-assed Hunger Games parody which felt wierd, especially since they used the name Lego but couldn't use the name Hunger Games and the name of the main character and instead chose a parody which wasn't neeed in the first place, but eh, it wasn't terrible (and Homer complaining about the movie's love triangle and wanting more killing while watching it in the mid-credits scene while Marge hushes him was kind of funny). Overall, it's a really good episode with an fun and enjoyable story, some overall good jokes and gags & it's even got some surprisingly heartfelt, sweet moments; still, not an awesome episode but definitely a quality one and probably my favorite of the season so far. Selman has done it again.

A strong 4/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Several sources list plenty of freeze frame gags throughout the episode. Neither of these sources are exactly the best, but the articles are accurate.

Yahoo TV
    MTV

Everyone thinks that the two images have no difference, except that the woman is happy in the "After" picture. The sources all claim that it's a theme about accepting yourself for who you are. The actual gag is that in the second picture, the woman is the same size in plastic, but the figure drawn on her is thinner (leaving black space on either side of the body).
    On MTV's list, number 32 isn't a crucifix, it's a Brick Separator.
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Really enjoyable episode, although most of the jokes were centred around lego, it was still funny. Plot was good, the only part that was a letdown was the Hunger Games parody.
    When you point your finger at others, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you!

actually quite enjoyable 4/5

To Professionalism! DarkDiamond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another Selman triumph. I love Homer and Lisa episodes, and I could actually feel some genuine emotion. The pacing was good, the plot was satisfying, and the jokes were pretty good overall. The Hunger Games parody was a bit strange, but apart from that, great episode. This proves Matt Selman should take over from old Al. 4.5/5 rounded up to a 5.
    Zombie Simpsons - Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps - F The Wreck of the Relationship - F Super Franchise Me - D- Treehouse of Horror XXV - D Opposites A-Frack - D Simpsorama - D+ Blazed and Confused - D Covercraft - D I Won't Be Home for Christmas - D+ The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - D The Musk Who Fell to Earth - F Walking Big & Tall - D

Family Guy - Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy - B The Book of Joe - C- Baking Bad - C+ Brian the Closer - C Turkey Guys - B+ The 2000-Year-Old Virgin - F Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure - B Our Idiot Brian - B- This Little Piggy - D Quagmire's Mom - C

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yahoo TV
    MTV

These sources must be really inept. I noticed that right away.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Definitely filled up my expectations, no doubt about it. Good Lego jokes throughout the episode, good plot structure, go Selman!, and good characterization of Comic Book Guy. This had some flaws like every episode does, the Hunger Games parody and really obvious Lego Movie (haven't seen it yet, I would like to see it) reference to name a few. But my overall reaction is very positive, this is the best episode of season 25 for sure, and pretty much my second favorite HD episode, after HoFP. To be critical this would be a 4/5, but because of the changing quality of season 25 I'll give this a 5/5.
    Last edited by The Monorail; 05-05-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Thought it was solid, like a brick! I'm always a sucker for Homer/Lisa stories and the Lego just sweetened the deal. I love the level of ambition Selman brings to all the eps he runs. I wish the higher ups would just give Jeany the old heave ho. 4/5.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Well, for the first time in so many years I didn't have to beat around the bush with 'It was good for a HD-Era' or 'It was mediocre but some segments were good' as this episode was the flat out best episode The Simpsons has created in a long, long time.
    This isn't a post classic in the lines of Steal This Episode or HofP, it was a post classic standing with Trilogy of Error and Half Decent Proposal.
    It was sincere, HILARIOUS (I laughed SO much), characterisation was oh-so perfect and genuinely heartfelt at points. You could tell they felt free with the episode and it was just so much fun.
    The episode had me smiling from the openings lines to the universe Lego kit ending.

A 5/5 and the best episode in years.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

well it never really made me do much beyond crack a smile, so I can't consider it comedically great, but the inventive utilization of the world of LEGO and the overall central story regarding Homer/Lisa helped tie this thing together and made it feel like a real labor of love, where I had genuine interest in the unfolding of the story and the character interactions. many jokes are obvious "because LEGO" stuff (hence the lack of laughs) but not without charm and spirit, which is important as well. this is the first episode of the Simpsons I've seen in awhile that hasn't felt sterile and unenthused in itself (yes, including the other Selman eps this season) and I would encourage more experimental format breakers of this nature from here on out if the show is going to continue infinitely. the least it can do is make the ride sort of fun. let's put this up there with FG's more ambitious episodes; still showing it's cracks but not without it's admirable ambition and creativity.

3/5.

Blog Entries

This episode didn't do much for me. It was a tad better than most of this seasons episodes but that's not much of an accomplishment. For one, nothing was funny. All the jokes were bland, uninspired and were often spelled out too much. Most of the jokes (especially during the first half) were simply: "Haha, it's funny because they're made of legos." Of course there's not that many jokes you can really do with this topic but I could pretty much see every joke coming. You'd think if they were going to make an episode all about Lego, they'd have a ton of really good jokes on the subject, but the end product just feels routine.

The story was okay, for Zombie Simpsons anyway. When he's not over-explaining everything, Homer isn't as annoying as he usually is in these HD episodes. I still don't like how they had Lisa hanging around with some older girls who we've never seen before just to move the plot along. We know we'll never see them again and that Lisa will just go back to being a sad-sack outcast in the next episode. I also didn't like the Hunger Games parody because of how lazy it was. Changing the title by one word doesn't equal parody.

Aside from that I really don't know what to talk about. The lego animation was charming throughout, it's just a shame they didn't have better material to work with. Everything else was just pretty forgettable and I'm struggling to remember the "highlights". I remember being bored a lot, which is probably due to the simple plot and obvious jokes. So overall, I'll give it a 2/5. It's not good, it's not terrible and it wasn't even average. I have complete indifference to it and have no urge to ever watch it again.
    Last edited by LukeMM95; 05-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

This is a serious contender for the best Simpsons episode in history.
    The best part about it is that it couldn't have existed in the "dinosaur Simpsons" era since it was the animation that made the episode.
    Take that, you modern Simpsons haters!

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    This is a serious contender for the best Simpsons episode in history.
    The best part about it is that it couldn't have existed in the "dinosaur Simpsons" era since it was the animation that made the episode.
    Take that, you modern Simpsons haters!
    We have modern Simpson episodes...so there's nothing worse you do to us.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very funny with good lego jokes through and the plot was great for a episode like this, there were some mild flaws but they didint ruin my enjoyment of the episode. This episode also had the best use of Comic Book Guy in quite a while. Best of the season so far slightly beating out Steal This Episode and its probably going to remain that way unless the last two episodes turn out surprisling good. Grade: A-

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    unless the last two episodes turn out surprisling good. Grade: A-
    Which they probably won't.
    Prediction: They won't.
    Double-prediction: They will suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah i also have a hard time imagning how they could be as good as this episode. The Selman episodes are most likely going to be the winners of this season.

Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad! Smeghead's Avatar

10/10 BRILLIANT EPISODE

Just your average Christian left-winger, self confessed nut, computer geek and Simpsons fan.

Blog Entries

Decent episode, but I think the plot had more potential than that.
    The "Before/After" picture was the funniest thing of the episode.
    4/5

The Lego animation sure is cool! I liked seeing Krusty chasing Mr. Teeny in that style. And the characters sure look cool.

I love how they too advantage if the Lego medium, like Bart having to rebuild the school after it collapses.
    The mirror bit at the end of the first act was fun too. Homer's reflection sure looked fluid in terms of animation!

Love how they put away the bricks of the smashed police helicopter.
    The lightsaber barf and firing the principal out of a gun was pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    With Pamela Hayden as Milhouse and one of the older girls, and Tress MacNeille as the other two older girls and the star of the PG-13 film, and Chris Edgerly as ???

And it even has the regular 1992-present credits theme for a change! (as many newer episodes simply use a custom credits theme instead) I also knew the Gracie Films logo was going to have Marge's long shushing replace the standard "Shh!"
    Still a pretty fun episode! Now it won't be long before "Family Guy" tries to respond with something similar...

Blog Entries

So I'm going to rate an episode made out of..... Lego, this'll be interesting. First off let me say I never watched anything Lego before, not even the movie.

This episode is great, maybe the best of the season (competing with Steal This Episode) and may even be the best episode since Holidays of Future Past. The show tried something completely new and they succeeded, they did an amazing job with the Lego jokes and showing some screentime to a lot of great Simpson characters. There was no couch gag, which is good. The episode felt pretty long, but this time not long as in ''its very boring'' but actually long and good.

So this episode basically has one main plot with a very little Bart subplot, really enjoyed them both. The bonding with Homer and Lisa was done quite good, even felt a little sad with the Homer/Lisa scene when Homer woke up. What I noticed that, while the episode showed a great deal out of every family member, they also showed a good amount of screentime to the other residents. Mainly looking at Krusty, Apu, Ned, Lovejoy, Comic Book Guy, Wiggum, Moe, maybe even more that I forgot. At best the show can give us an episode focussed on one of these characters and still end up bad, but this episode managed to do so many characters in still a great way.

Also need to mention that I really like how they made the animation with Lego.

Overall score: 5/5

No ''good for modern standards'' or anything, its just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Now, if only we could get a LEGO Simpsons video game...
    Yup, now we just need an actual video game for this. If the Simpsons got their own Lego playset and episode, I don't see why they couldn't do a video game aswell. They made one for The Hobbit
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Best episode in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the graphics were far better than I would have expected.

Junior Camper

Usual boring modern Simpsons. All I saw was the usual unfunny jokes, depressing lack of imagination and overuse of minor characters prevalent in modern SImpsons except they were made from Lego. Nothing special about this at all.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwithmj View Post
    Usual boring modern Simpsons. All I saw was the usual unfunny jokes, depressing lack of imagination and overuse of minor characters prevalent in modern SImpsons except they were made from Lego. Nothing special about this at all.
    These posts make me think that people think it's 'cool' to hate Modern Simpsons. No this was not 'usual boring modern Simpsons' and if you honestly think it was, then you're just as bad as the people you say are idiots for not seeing the difference between classic and modern episodes. It had a TON of jokes, they didn't make you laugh out loud? No problem, everyone's humours different but I tell you the humour in this episode wasn't far off some classic era episodes. (Perhaps not as subtle)
    For the first time in a while, an episode felt inspired, had countless jokes and had a very good plot structure but no, you're right, this was just as bad as Lucas and that forgettable Comic Book Guy episode.

Blog Entries

Yeah, "inspired" by all the cash LEGO dumped in front of them!!!

Tyrant:Alf Clausen's Attorney D DEBBS's Avatar

Good...not great, but good.

Now...if frickin' Amazon would hurry up and send me my LEGO Simpsons house, I'd be fine!

We're out of time.

As a fan of both Lego and this show, this episode sure managed to deliver on both fronts, appealing to both the child and the adult within me.

Matt Selman absolutely nailed it when he decided to make the Lego world a byproduct of Homer's wishes. And it manages to break the format, while respecting the show's own specific reality. Leave it to an expert like Brian Kelley to ground the whole idea with a coherent, entertaining, emotional and thoughtful script. Seriously, this is the same person who wrote the outstanding Treehouse XXIII, Treehouse XIII, Margical History, A Star is Born-Again, and also one of the very first Futurama episodes, 15 years ago! Give him the Emmy already! He's earned it, especially after 10 years working for the Simpsons (and his 4 years on Newsradio, as well).

I'm surprised the show never did the concept of Lisa outgrowing the little girl persona from Homer's point of view. Coming on the heels of the episode where Homer dates Lisa, this was a welcome development. Dan and Yeardley delivered it, and Marge was put to very good use in a supporting role (and Julie also nailed the tone).

Even Bart's thread paid off to the main plot. And as for the animation, I'm glad this episode took two years to make. It was worth it.

5/5. Best entry this season, even though this is technically a season 24 episode (a season which had an awful lot of winners).

Looking forward to Selman's next episode, which will likely be a holdover into season 26, written by him.

Thread Information