Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 111



Thread: is it just me or does it seem...



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #31


    Quote Originally Posted by Tromboon View Post
    what is tinychat really? is it like skype or is voice/webcam mandatory, what's the deal (probably not interested anyway though)
    Not at all. It's a client where you CAN use a mic/webcam, but it's not at all mandatory. Think of the chatbox here, except that there is more control and it can be a lot of fun. Trust me. If you get to hear some of these guys on the mic/webcams every now and then, you can be in for a good time.

    You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

  2. #32
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,318
    Blog Entries
    13


    yeah, it's like chatbox, but with obnoxious video ads

  3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

  4. #33


    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    yeah, it's like chatbox, but with obnoxious video ads
    Video ads? Unless you're talking about the webcam I've never had an issue with it.

  5. #34
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,318
    Blog Entries
    13


    congrats

  6. #35


    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    congrats
    Well could you at least elaborate on them? I've honestly never noticed them.

  7. #36
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,318
    Blog Entries
    13


    I saw a video ad

  8. #37
    ---
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    15,540
    Blog Entries
    3


    He's talking about those little videos that appear on the bottom right, Startug. I get them on IE and Chrome. What browser are you using Pat?

  9. #38


    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    He's talking about those little videos that appear on the bottom right, Startug. I get them on IE and Chrome. What browser are you using Pat?
    I also use Chrome. Strange because I never see them. Is it my adblock perhaps? Even with it off I don't notice them. :/

  10. #39
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    heh yeah I totally adblock tinychat so I never notice video ads
    twitter

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

  11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

  12. #40
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    also re: the thread topic

    no tinychat is not killing the board at all. in fact, for a while a lot of the greatest threads came out of tinychat, but that has seemed to slow down. the only thing that's hurting is obviously the lounge, which is why we locked it... and now there's a new one for people to write about the oranges they're feasting upon.

    I don't think it's for everyone, and it'll also inevitably warm over and finally stop being a daily thing as @kupomog suggested. (months ago I thought for sure it would've happened by now) but damn it if it isn't fun as hell to get to know boarders on a more personal level and just kick back. there have been the fair share of fighting and quibbles and what not in the chat for sure, but otherwise I think it's just an awesome escape. that's just for me. the best feature is definitely the youtube player, where you could just plug something in and everybody can sit around and throw out their reactions. that's just something you can't do on a message board, and beats out even the webcam feature for me.

    I just don't think we really need to worry about it. nobody needs to feel pressured to go into the chat to feel "in" and I don't think others should feel they're "too cool" for it either. if you're not an annoying twat, just message @Dobbie for the password, come in for a short bit and check it out. you may enjoy it, maybe not. I really don't think it has to be that attached to the board or else it'll just end up imploding due to arbitrary reasons like that and I really don't want to see that.

  13. #41
    Dinner at 80 mph lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,780
    Blog Entries
    24


    I went into the tinychat once and it seemed really awkward full of people clipping their fingernails

    no thanks


  14. #42
    Low & Lazy Tromboon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    that place that sells chili
    Posts
    1,783


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    the best feature is definitely the youtube player, where you could just plug something in and everybody can sit around and throw out their reactions. that's just something you can't do on a message board, and beats out even the webcam feature for me.
    wow yeah that's great
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

  15. #43
    direct floor engagement friendswithsalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,554
    Blog Entries
    42


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    no tinychat is not killing the board at all. in fact, for a while a lot of the greatest threads came out of tinychat, but that has seemed to slow down.
    Which ones? (I'm not disagreeing, I just can't remember any beyond the mobile phone one and it is annoying me coz there are definitely others)

  16. #44
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    Which ones? (I'm not disagreeing, I just can't remember any beyond the mobile phone one and it is annoying me coz there are definitely others)
    this is annoying me too because I can't remember any specific examples aside from the cell phone thread, but there was a good month where every other day the chat just spat out a crapload of fun threads

  17. #45
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,318
    Blog Entries
    13


    didn't stupid idiot make several threads about the penis guy?

  18. #46
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    I don't know about threads but it was a huge three-page or so chunk in the tinychat thread

    regardless my post abstains about that stupidity

  19. #47
    the gay agender kes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TBA
    Posts
    5,527
    Blog Entries
    1


    Bit of an Ozzy necro here.

    I find that I don't have the time for TinyChat, and it's too awkward if you're not giving it over 80% of your attention. Sometimes I prefer to talk to members one-to-one, but not via the PM/VM system as that annoys me even more. It would be cool if there was a better option available, like if the board itself had a pop-up single/group chat that you could toggle on or off. But, I don't think it's cliquey. A high school having a debate team is not cliquey; that's a way of killing time and getting extra credit, which is what private conversation achieves socially. Like the board, if you abuse it, you lose it. Having different rules to the board makes the community more accessible depending on a person's interests, chat style, or comprehension of rules. What if some people who post in TC were on the verge of drifting from the NHC before that, and it has brought them back? What if they would still not be posting threads now? I'm not sure how inviting only six people to your birthday party in a given year is exclusive, if you're not rubbing the invitations in others' faces. Laser Tag moves too goddamn fast for fifty players.

    On the whole, I only dislike TinyChatting because I feel that if I am going to limit the "reach" of my posts, and those which I can see, I may as well talk to one or two people at a time instead. For some of the above reasons, I don't consider it comparable to the Lounge. TinyChat keeps no comment history for those who weren't there to witness it - it's like living in an age before cameras were affordable - and it also doesn't contribute to post counts. Perhaps the drought of topics in the FFA actually highlights the fact that most of the time we are posting in threads of little interest to us, which add nothing much to the museum of antics when compared to carrying out the discussion in TC. Don't we have media threads that only get posted in so that a new member can +1 that they enjoy Zelda? The same could be ascertained by falling into a chat about Zelda at a mutually convenient time*, friends referencing friends who also like Zelda**.

    Meaningful threads confined to a private chat - now, that would be a problem. Much of the animosity surely comes from the inability of outsiders to know whether or not this is what's happening, just as BBC Radio 4 attempted to rationalise the existence of the Doge meme. We used to have weekly witch trials over people posting rape jokes, and some people think it's worse that this stuff can now be shared with a more select audience? Without the forum becoming more active, how can we convince anyone that TinyChat isn't negatively affecting it? There is no evidence either way.

    Sorry if any of that is way out of line; I have so much more in life to hate right now than the NHC can offer. I haven't been able to come on here more than once a week, and when I do, it's meh. *A point that non TCers may not understand is that there is a high turnover of chatters, because, for instance, that person doesn't want to talk about The Muppets. **It's 2014 and honestly a wonder that the NHC has not been absorbed by some other massive media forum anyway, let alone still sustains a thread of its own for every non-Simpsons-related franchise under the sun. It's pleasant that we can have our own rules, and I'm grateful to the admins/mods for taking the time.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

    Party time... excellent...

  20. #48
    d=(^_^)z kupomog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    37,987


    We used to have an add-on that attached a Facebook style pop-up chat bar with private and board-wide group chat to the bottom of every page. Almost no one used it.

    Also, threads like last thing you ate/purchased bum me out because they just end up being +1 threads with little to no substance when they could actually generate some discussion. When I see threads like that being the most active on slower days it makes me feel like not bothering to bump any other threads.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

  21. #49
    ---
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    15,540
    Blog Entries
    3


    Tinychat is getting lamer every day now anyway. People just use it as a tool to gossip about members and make a few inside jokes which for some reason they put on the board when it shouldn't, as most people won't understand what's going on or how it originated. I never leaked anything said there into the public because there's no reason to that! I treat them as separate entities which happens to have the same people in it because that's what it is.

    I still go on it since I love it when there's a topic that everyone gets into it but that seems to happen very rarely now and the aforementioned gossiping and dragging the same jokes into the ground is way too common for it to be as consistently fun as it used to be when it was 'new'.

    It is killing activity? I don't think so. It is however spawning stupid threads.
    Last edited by Dobbie; 02-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.

  22. #50
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    We used to have an add-on that attached a Facebook style pop-up chat bar with private and board-wide group chat to the bottom of every page. Almost no one used it.
    I remember that. Steve messaged me once on it and next thing I knew it was gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Tinychat is getting lamer every day now anyway. People just use it as a tool to gossip about members and make a few inside jokes which for some reason they put on the board when it shouldn't, as most people won't understand what's going on or how it originated. I never leaked anything said there into the public because there's no reason to that! I treat them as separate entities which happens to have the same people in it because that's what it is.

    I still go on it since I love it when there's a topic that everyone gets into it but that seems to happen very rarely now and the aforementioned gossiping and dragging the same jokes into the ground is way too common for it to be as consistently fun as it used to be when it was 'new'.
    oh dobbie

    not everyone is interested in smash bros or pokemon

  23. #51
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,318
    Blog Entries
    13


    Quote Originally Posted by Yule Blog View Post
    We used to have weekly witch trials over people posting rape jokes,
    haha ok

  24. #52
    I'm Bartman. Jims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,252
    Blog Entries
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Tinychat is getting lamer every day now anyway. People just use it as a tool to gossip about members and make a few inside jokes which for some reason they put on the board when it shouldn't, as most people won't understand what's going on or how it originated. I never leaked anything said there into the public because there's no reason to that! I treat them as separate entities which happens to have the same people in it because that's what it is.
    Yeah, the constant gossip is what's been turning me off from it lately. I don't really mind when everyone's discussing a topic I'm not interested in, because I don't feel like people should need to cater to me or anything (I just end up surfing the web instead)... But, yeesh, the gossip. I feel like I'm reading an old B&R thread when I'm in there.

    And, unfortunately, it does spill onto the forums.

  25. #53
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    what kind of annoys me though is that nobody is forcing anybody into tinychat and honestly this "gossip" would happen regardless of its existence.

    I'm surprised it's still churning but you can't honestly expect to group people together and have it stay the same forever. I know some are basically not interested in the lives of others or what have you (because that's apparently "too mean" for them), but the group's gonna talk about what the group talks about. It just evolved.


  26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

  27. #54
    I'm Bartman. Jims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,252
    Blog Entries
    3


    Fine. I'm a weird person because I don't want TinyChat to exist as a place to talk shit about Zombies' podcast every day.

    That's so weird.

    I'm not saying it is unnatural for the gossip to show up because it obviously does, but the way the same stuff comes up, day after day after day, is tedious and boring and goes from "just gossip" to "shit-talking." And then we have situations where Jake can't even post a picture these days without some group of people splashing around and posting weird visitor messages and stuff. Because, why not, let's just kick him when he's down! Because he deserves it! Like obviously people are going to be talked about. But the way people fixate on it is disappointing to me. Simplifying my argument as, "No one can ever be mean EVER" is completely unfair because that's not at all what I'm saying. Because I will admit, I have said my share of snarky things about certain situations.

    But saying "people are going to gossip" is the most ridiculously lazy cop-out excuse I have ever heard because it implies that people are mindless cattle who can't do better.

  28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

  29. #55
    ---
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    15,540
    Blog Entries
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post


    oh dobbie

    not everyone is interested in smash bros or pokemon
    Not surprising that response. Saw it coming from miles away.

  30. #56
    Ichiban kunoichi, yo! aoife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC, trips to sprinkle pixie dust
    Posts
    14,579


    I like chatty chats. With the demise of AIM chattin, it's one place I can talk to a bunch of you at once. The thing I like about tinychat, is that people can put up shows on youtube, and other places for everyone to enjoy.
    Tinychat kills my comp, and I can only stay on for so long at a time. I still like it more than any other form of chatroom style chats.

  31. #57
    merry christmas Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    27,038
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Fine. I'm a weird person because I don't want TinyChat to exist as a place to talk shit about Zombies' podcast every day.

    That's so weird.

    I'm not saying it is unnatural for the gossip to show up because it obviously does, but the way the same stuff comes up, day after day after day, is tedious and boring and goes from "just gossip" to "shit-talking." And then we have situations where Jake can't even post a picture these days without some group of people splashing around and posting weird visitor messages and stuff. Because, why not, let's just kick him when he's down! Because he deserves it! Like obviously people are going to be talked about. But the way people fixate on it is disappointing to me. Simplifying my argument as, "No one can ever be mean EVER" is completely unfair because that's not at all what I'm saying. Because I will admit, I have said my share of snarky things about certain situations.

    But saying "people are going to gossip" is the most ridiculously lazy cop-out excuse I have ever heard because it implies that people are mindless cattle who can't do better.
    see, that's the thing: you're really thinking you're better than everybody else because hey, everybody should act better like you do. c'mon.

    and let's cut the fucking bullshit, because I know you're directing this straight at me.

  32. #58
    Global Moderator The Goode Family's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11,706
    Blog Entries
    751


    o'snap

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

  33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

  34. #59
    Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,617


    Whenever I try TC, it's awkward because most of the time I have no idea how to contribute to the discussion - I know nothing about said topic, I don't feel like making fun of members, and so to me there's no point in coming in. I would like to, but I'm really not good at it....I'm still mesmerized that other people can.

  35. #60
    I'm Bartman. Jims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,252
    Blog Entries
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    see, that's the thing: you're really thinking you're better than everybody else because hey, everybody should act better like you do. c'mon.

    and let's cut the fucking bullshit, because I know you're directing this straight at me.
    That's why I quoted you. You notice how I quoted you directly instead of making an oblique reference to you in my post, right? I thought I posted that as directly as I could without dragging every minor detail into it.

    And, no, I'm not saying I am better than other people. Hell, I said in that very post, that I have done my share of shit-talking in TinyChat. Everyone has seen it. I basically admit my hypocrisy in this matter. Why is the simple suggestion of, "Maybe we're taking it too far?" such a horrible and damning thing to say? If you don't think TinyChat has crossed that line, then fine. But I disagree.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •