Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: General DVD discussion.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the things that sticks in my craw about the DVD sets, and the streamable media age as a whole, is that it's instilled a kind of shortsightedness in people about it that's led to the cancellation of the sets. It's like people have forgotten that it's possible to exist without internet access or netflix subscriptions. I get treated like a rube for buying/owning physical discs of shows or movies I like, and people keep urging me to sell the ones I have because I "don't need them anymore since I can just watch them online", but there are inevitable periods where the internet connection goes out or you're somewhere that you don't have access to a computer, and it's always hugely upsetting for them with no alternative form of entertainment being apparent to them. Once when I was moving out of an apartment I cut off the internet early to avoid getting charged for another month during the process, and there was almost a solid week of whining and Seinfeldian "The Contest"-esque tossing and turning and agitated hostility from the person I was with at the time about how they couldn't get on Netflix or Putlocker because of it, while I was able to have myself a nice little Simpsons marathon to distract myself from the shitty circumstances of the time with nothing but a TV in the corner, my binder of the existing sets, and a box to sit on. Just last week where I'm living now, our provider made a mistake with the billing and we went a day and a half without any internet, and it was the end of the world for everyone in the house except for me, with my little box of TV show dvd sets. I love those "who's laughing now" moments but it still never sinks in. The upside is that since nobody seems to give a shit about physical media anymore, I'm able to scoop up sets for practically nothing now.

Just one component of my huge frustration with how prominent and all-encompassing the internet has become and how helpless people are made to feel now without it, but that's a whole other ramble that's irrelevant to this thread.

tl;dr fuck Fox for trying to force people to buy an internet app to stream the show as the only form of "home" media from now on.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest: that right there is one reason why I do still buy physical sets of stuff I especially love. Also just that, as a graphic designer, I just really like handling physical media and seeing how it was designed and such, even if it seems like the manufacturers are going less "all out" with putting together really, really nice sets nowadays.

Also, things leave Netflix unless they're Netflix Originals. I don't count on anything on there being on there forever unless it's an Original, so when something you like does leave and you were in the middle of marathoning it (like I was with Fringe), it's good to have backups in the form of physical media.

Quote Originally Posted by LosTickaToeRest View Post
    Just one component of my huge frustration with how prominent and all-encompassing the internet has become and how helpless people are made to feel now without it, but that's a whole other ramble that's irrelevant to this thread.
    You should start a ramble - er, thread about it. I admit to feeling weird when there isn't any internet or reliable means of me getting on it, but that's because I'm an internet addict. I'll just openly admit to that. I think for a lot of people it's a means of distracting themselves from the shit in their lives, at least I know it is for me, so I get antsy without it.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really know why I buy DVD's. I just do. I like the commentaries and other extras but that could be torrented as well. I don't know, I just enjoy it for some reason. I don't really buy movies though, mainly TV shows.

Is the Simpsons on Netflix? I tried Netflix for a month but gave up because it didn't have any of the shows or movies I wanted to watch.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope, and it never will be

Blog Entries

In 2012, the power went out in my neigborhood for 9 days after a tropical storm, so we shared our neighbor's generator (which now we have our own). Luckily I had a small tv with a dvd player built in (so it only required one power cord) that I propped up on a chair in the den. I marathoned seinfeld and watched various stuff from the many shows I own throughout that week. Just the memory of my family desperately huddled around this small tv throughout the day/night to watch my dvds still makes me chuckle.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

The Simpsons isn't on Netflix, however, Season 27 & 28 are on Hulu.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LosTickaToeRest View Post
    Nope, and it never will be
    I wouldn't be so certain of that, especially when it comes to outside the US where the Simpsons World app is not available; there is a possibility that Netflix will cut a deal with Fox, similarily to what they are doing with the Star Trek: Discovery series next year which is gonna be on CBS All Acess in the US and on Netflix in other countries.

They REALLY have to bring the DVDs back now, when I was trying to tapes tonight's episode they delayed it for a weather report.
    We need the season sets back.
    Simpsons Tapped Out name: Zim999777

Blog Entries

weather is more important than the simpsons, chief

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    weather is more important than the simpsons, chief
    You're kidding right?
    You would rather watch people talking about clouds then a great show?

Blog Entries

the weather severely impacts our day and the globe as a whole. are you saying the simpsons is more important than the World??

the weather severely impacts our day and the globe as a whole. are you saying the simpsons is more important than the World??
    Yes.
    It was a dumb report about school closings for tomorrow and it cost the first 5 minutes of the show, I was freaking all night cause that stupid game kept going then they would show a bunch of random commercials then they showed that waste of time. The Simpsons are the reason I keep a cable box.

Blog Entries

the kids deserve to know if they're going to school you absolute monster

Blog Entries

i don't see why you are worried. even if this season was to be released on dvd it would take how many years? i'm sure you'll have another chance to tape it.

but yes, weather and especially nfl football are more important than some shitty simpsons episode.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

I waited weeks for a new episode and I had to sit though stuff that makes watching paint dry look fun and I was freaking out all night.
    Every football game is the same one team wins one team loses.
    I use the Simpsons to make me feel better about life.

Blog Entries

doesnt give you the right to needlessly hate on football and the weather yo

Blog Entries

that's... every sport ever lmfao. and do you really rely on simps that much

Blog Entries

i could argue that every simpsons episode is the same. especially now.

Blog Entries

also you should look into this thing called the internet, which will allow you to watch any simpsons episode you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by sir hops View Post
    that's... every sport ever lmfao. and do you really rely on simps that much
    Let's just say, the Simpsons are the only reason I keep a TV besides for video games.

Blog Entries

wait are you telling me the Simpsons isn't a weather show

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zim999 View Post
    They REALLY have to bring the DVDs back now, when I was trying to tapes tonight's episode they delayed it for a weather report.
    We need the season sets back.
    Even if they did bring them back... well, I hope you like waiting a decade for the season with that episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    Even if they did bring them back... well, I hope you like waiting a decade for the season with that episode.
    I could wait, as long they finished the series with all the episodes I be happy.

Blog Entries

they wont

Blog Entries

Get fxx and simps world imo, they do ennuff services for a whole life of simps wank
    No need of dvds

they wont
    That hurt you know.
    You know how to crush a guy's life.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

lol

Blog Entries

who's your favorite weatherman on the Simpsons? mine is bart

Blog Entries

way to go handsome