Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: General DVD discussion.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Actually, season 6 was initially only the head but they had a mail away for a traditional case where you drop the head innards into the top of the box. Later, a standard season 6 was released with the usual box (no open top). So it's not a case of buying it twice, it's a case of sending in for the standard box.
    UP AND ATOM!

i think he's referring to the people that didn't do the mail away thing at the time (which i'm guessing was most, due to laziness), and years later just ended up buying the regular box. i mean that's what i did, couldn't be bothered at the time to do that whole mail away thing.
    Last edited by zach; 06-06-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Blog Entries

it's kinda funny because we all wanted that box to line it up with the other sets, but the quietly-released and hard to come by third design of s6 (the one more in line with 7-10) is much better and i kinda wish i had it instead but oh well

Banned
    Blog Entries

I got the Season 6 box in 2007 or so and it's exactly the same style as Seasons 7-10. Didn't realise it was so hard to come by elsewhere.

Blog Entries

i don't know if it's harder to find that style in the UK. they might not have releases the 'top loading' s6 set at all

This is kind of a different question, but I notice that season 8 has varying disc art, while some sets have one set of art, and somes sets have a different set. Why is that?

I remember people initially thought it depended on the packaging (ie. the head box had one kind of disc, the standard set had the other), but this was quickly disproved. I don't think we ever found out why... my personal opinion is it was supposed to be a packaging exclusive thing, but the manufacturer got lazy and they ended up wherever.

For anyone who doesn't know what this refers to, Season 8 has two different sets of disc art. One has members of the family posing with the disc number printed on the disc, the other has no disc numbers but instead the characters hold up fingers corresponding to the disc number (for example, one finger for disc 1, two for disc 2, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by handy wonder View Post
    i don't know if it's harder to find that style in the UK. they might not have releases the 'top loading' s6 set at all
    IIRC, S6 was released in other regions in the same format as 7-10 was in the States - both the Homer head and standard box were available in stores, but the Homer head was a strictly limited edition thing. No mail-away offer and no crappy do-it-yourself top loading box.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got season 1 - 14. Finished the first one already as I just wanted it out of the way. Kinda disappointed by the lame menus on the first four seasons though. Can't wait to watch the rest of these babies

Junior Camper TheLegendOfHansMoleman's Avatar

I was wondering why Fox don't release the seasons on Blu Ray because I think they could pile more episodes on a single disc which is so much more helpful. Do you think its possible for all 22 episodes of a season to be on one Blu Ray disc?

I'd also like to see a release of all the Treehouse of Horrors in one season, say around the first 20, it'd be great for Halloween. I do remember the Halloween themed video with 4 episodes on which I still own.

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

Last year, I wanted to watch the deleted scenes with the French subtitles, and I've tried the normal French subtitles, the insert French subtitles, and even with French commentary subtitles... It didn't work! I don't understand...
    "You're perfect! In fact, you're better than perfect! Next to you, perfection is crap!"

It was said in a 1997 episode. But if it were said in a recent episode (from the mid 2000s to for now), I'd take it as irony.

I don't believe in modern Simpsons nor golden era: I'm an atheist

Don't fear the roofer!

I'm a post-20th century Simpsons episodes defender.

The ones who say "Zombie Simpsons" make me laugh.

I'm a girl but I say #NotMyDoctor anyway.

South Park is second most important to me

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love the artwork but am I the only one who finds it easier and more preferable to just put the discs in a CD binder? With the horrid packaging on seasons 11 onwards that requires getting sleeves for the discs if you want to rewatch them without completely wrecking them, the cases become kind of a hassle, not to mention take up a whole lot of space, and it's easier to just fill up a CD binder, fill in the missing seasons with my personal totally-not-illegal copies, and put that on a shelf. Makes it quick and easy to just open to a random page and pick a random disc. Plus it's portable n' shit. When I was spending a weekend cleaning out my old apartment by myself, I had no internet connection or cable and a dead phone with no charger, and some of the only things left in the house were my TV and an Xbox I didn't have any games for; I just brought the binder and was set for the weekend as far as spending downtime.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

I started doing that later on because I was so lazy with my dvds, I would play 'em, switch 'em, but never put 'em back. that was such a bad habit. or, I would put a Simpsons DVD in one of my futurama sets, a futurama DVD in a king of the hill set... you could never tell where any of my DVDs would be. then one day I just stopped and started putting them in CD binders, like you said, and it made it easier because I actually cared and tried to keep them organized

Blog Entries

it's a lot easier to do but the main reason i have sets now in this DIGITAL AGE is aesthetic reasons (that and bonus features) so i always try to put them back in the cases. it's inconveneint sometimes but it ain't that hard imo

Blog Entries

it's not really a matter of being hard it's a matter of laziness imo.

when I want to watch a specific season or episode or disc or whatever that's what I want to do and I just don't care about putting whatever was in first back in its original place; I always figure "Eh, i'll do that when I put this one back," and then the cycle would just continue. my dvds were all over the place.

Blog Entries

Okay so season 17 came with the booklet for season 13...

Blog Entries

did everyone in the thread die?

i just found this link http://rubbercat.net/simpsons/dvd.php#presentation it's information about some huge simpsons movie colletors edition, and according to the site it was released in 2011. but theres nothing about this on google and i cant find it anywhere. i assumed it was just a fanmade thing with features they wanted, but there are still images from the movie that i've never seen before is this real or what?? if it is scew the price i want it.

but i'm still a little skeptic cause the rest of the site has weird stuff like this http://rubbercat.net/simpsons/seasons11-20.php no idea what it's even supposed to be.

edit: so after going through the site a little, this is obviously fake. damn, i was hoping it would be real.
    Last edited by Grifty McGrift; 12-03-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Blog Entries

lol! The stuff on those pages is extremely fake and some of it is funny

"Secret Audio Commentary 1: Disgruntled Ex-Staffers Who Were Not Asked To Participate"

Speaking of dvd's, I'm making a season 18 dvd with Moe on the box, but I need the commentaries. Some USA person help me?

Blog Entries

making a dvd?

Blog Entries

pretty much everything on that site is joke-oriented.

btw, dark homer runs that site. go to his profile here and there's a link. I knew that site looked familiar

Blog Entries

yeah i see that now. but i was very shocked when i first saw it. that would have been a sweet dvd though

Talking about the DVD packaging, I have a question regarding the original US editions.

The majority of the seasons (from 1 to 9) i've got have the packaging where the insert comes competely out of the box, which has an open end (see the left-hand season 6 version), with no flap. Yet I have a 2nd copy of Season 6 which DOES have a flap which you have to open first, to take the insert out. Back to seasons 7 to 9, i've got the "no flap" version, yet in Season 10, i have a version with the flap again (shown in the picture). I'm going to assume then that they re-issued season 6 a 2nd time WITH the flap? If so, is there a version of season 10 without the flap? Maybe an early issue perhaps? Hope that makes sense!

Once again i'm only interested in the US releases here, and not the plastic heads packaging either.

Currently my collection is:
    Season 01: No Flap
    Season 02: No Flap
    Season 03: No Flap
    Season 04: No Flap
    Season 05: No Flap
    Season 06: No Flap
    Season 06: Flap
    Season 07: No Flap
    Season 08: No Flap
    Season 09: No Flap
    Season 10: Flap
    Season 11: Weird concertina thing - no flap on box - thin paper sheet stuck on back
    Season 12: Weird concertina thing - no flap on box - thicker card sheet on back with a flap over the side.
    Last edited by JohnLBergqvist; 01-10-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Blog Entries

My seasons 1 - 10 are no flaps but 11 and up are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    My seasons 1 - 10 are no flaps but 11 and up are.
    Are yours native US issues though, or are they local Swedish copies (looking at your location)? My question was about the original US releases.

Blog Entries

No idea. Season 1 - 10 are used from ebay, but they're from the UK. 11 - 14 was bought here and 15 - 17 amazon

No idea. Season 1 - 10 are used from ebay, but they're from the UK. 11 - 14 was bought here and 15 - 17 amazon
    Ah OK, i'm not interested in the UK packaging i'm afraid.

Blog Entries

Why would you not want the flaps? I prefer them

Why would you not want the flaps? I prefer them
    The quality of the cardboard is lower on the flaps reissues (I now believe Seasons 1 to 10 were re-issued in America in 2012 - with the flaps).

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I bought every season on release, so here are what the first editions had:

1 - No flap
    2 - No flap
    3 - No flap
    4 - No flap
    5 - No flap
    6 - Season 6 was only released as a head package, with the standard package being a mail-away. The mail away was shipped flat and folded out to allow for the innards of the head package to be dropped in from the top. It has since been reissued with no flap, and later with a flap.
    7 - No flap
    8 - No flap
    9 - No flap
    10 - No flap
    11 - No flap. first accordion style case. Due to the accordion style packaging, the box does not have art on the back spine.
    12 - No flap. For the first and only time the rear removable paper displaying all the episodes and features had a flap allowing the accordion package to sit in the inert with the insert and flap acting as sort of a drawer. It was actually a neat idea that allowed for the no flap design but still gave the accordion style package the same sort of spine seasons 1-10 had.
    13 - Flap
    14 - Flap
    15 - Flap
    16 - Flap
    17 - Flap

So based on your collection, @JohnLBergqvist , you have all first editions of 1-9 and 11&12, but your season 10 is one of those later reissues with thinner cardboard. Your season 6 is technically first and second editions, since the mail-away wasn't commercially released. You had to send away for it.

yeah we got all the seasons as they came out as well, just watched some home videos last week of us opening the early seasons at each christmas when we were young. the canadian versions are the same flap-wise, all coming with that paper stuck to the back, with most of those eventually being ripped off and throwaway. interesting to note that the first canadian season to have french on the actual box was season 8, all previous sets were just english.
    Last edited by zach; 01-10-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Thread Information