Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: General DVD discussion.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I have 1-16 and 20 and the movie

Vol. 7&8 of Futurama

And

Volume 1 of Family guy

Some of the stuff I have are all the American Dad and King of the Hill sets. They 're not too bad, except the fact every KotH DVD after season two is double-sided.

Blog Entries

I have all of King of the Hill, though I don't watch as much as I thought I would

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I have seasons 1-16 on DVD, all standard editions. Season 5 was the Homer head, but I did that mail-away form for the standard box because I hated the 5-10 heads. Nice of FOX to offer a replacement case program, I think they knew the heads kind of suck.

Also have The Simpsons Movie on DVD and blu-ray, I own two versions of the DVD. The regular one, and a version that came with a visitor's guide to Springfield - a Circuit City exclusive.

Outside of The Simpsons, but sticking to FOX animated comedy, I have Futurama 1-4 on DVD, 5-8 on blu-ray, the four movies on DVD, and the Monster Robot Maniac Fun Collection. I also have The Critic, Family Guy volumes 1-4 and the direct to DVD movie (after this I stopped collecting because I really don't like seasons 5+).

For Adult Swim I have complete series of Home Movies, The Brak Show, Birdman, Perfect Hair Forever, Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, Venture Bros, ATHF, Space Ghost (final episodes obtained via their build-your-own-DVD thing which is no more), and Tim & Eric shows.
    UP AND ATOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post

I have seasons 1-16 on DVD, all standard editions. Season 5 was the Homer head, but I did that mail-away form for the standard box because I hated the 5-10 heads. Nice of FOX to offer a replacement case program, I think they knew the heads kind of suck.

Also have The Simpsons Movie on DVD and blu-ray, I own two versions of the DVD. The regular one, and a version that came with a visitor's guide to Springfield - a Circuit City exclusive.

Outside of The Simpsons, but sticking to FOX animated comedy, I have Futurama 1-4 on DVD, 5-8 on blu-ray, the four movies on DVD, and the Monster Robot Maniac Fun Collection. I also have The Critic, Family Guy volumes 1-4 and the direct to DVD movie (after this I stopped collecting because I really don't like seasons 5+).

For Adult Swim I have complete series of Home Movies, The Brak Show, Birdman, Perfect Hair Forever, Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, Venture Bros, ATHF, Space Ghost (final episodes obtained via their build-your-own-DVD thing which is no more), and Tim & Eric shows.
    Ignoring the annoying change in spine thickness, they look great together and all my future failures will be forever measured against my decision to get the heads for 6-10.

I have seasons 1-15 and the movie. I bought 1-13 when they first came out, but the show's quality gets worse and DVDs become more and more outdated, so I didn't get 14 until months later when it was discounted. Still has the wrapping on it today. I found season 15 discounted the other day so I grabbed it (love that season.) Decided not to get 16 at full price, I may get it when discounted.

The Simpsons is pretty much the only thing on DVD I'd even consider buying anymore. I also used to buy region 1 imports of I Love Lucy but stopped after season four because it's just such a hassle to watch them. They sooner they remaster Lucy in HD and give it an iTunes release, the better.

Click here for more :)

I have Seasons 1 - 16 of The Simpsons on DVD, the Movie on blu-ray. I have a Futurama Seasons 1 - 4 collection, collected epics boxset and Seasons 5 and 6 on Blu-ray. South Park, I've got all Seasons 1 - 16, although 12 and 13 are blu-ray, plus Imaginationland and the movie. I've only got King Of The Hill seasons 1 - 3 but I am in the middle of collecting them. I also need to start getting Family Guy and American Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1990 View Post
    I have Seasons 1 - 16 of The Simpsons on DVD, the Movie on blu-ray. I have a Futurama Seasons 1 - 4 collection, collected epics boxset and Seasons 5 and 6 on Blu-ray. South Park, I've got all Seasons 1 - 16, although 12 and 13 are blu-ray, plus Imaginationland and the movie. I've only got King Of The Hill seasons 1 - 3 but I am in the middle of collecting them. I also need to start getting Family Guy and American Dad.
    Dude, just wait to get American Dad when they have them for great deals. I got volume one for like 10 bucks, than about six months later I got volumes 4-8 for like 6 bucks a pop, than i got 2-3 for like 15 each because I wanted to complete my collection.

Blog Entries

I remember buying season one of Malcolm in the Middle because I read somewhere there was a chance they'd release season 2 eventually.

I don't have any Family Guy/American Dad DVDs. I like both shows but not enough to own any of the seasons

Netflix has really helped (or hurt?) my DVD collecting as I've given up on Family Guy, and haven't even gotten into King of the Hill, American Dad, or Archer. I also stopped collecting Reno 911 and Chappelle's Show.

Quote Originally Posted by stanthewarrior View Post
    Dude, just wait to get American Dad when they have them for great deals. I got volume one for like 10 bucks, than about six months later I got volumes 4-8 for like 6 bucks a pop, than i got 2-3 for like 15 each because I wanted to complete my collection.
    They are quite cheap here at the moment, but I also need to the room for all my DVDS, I'm cramming them wherever there is space now lol

Quote Originally Posted by parklife View Post
    the compression artifacts are pretty apparent on my setup, as are annoying white lines at the edges of the frame and weird exposures in the corners that look like light leaks. this stuff is not even visible on an analog tv, though. and i can live with them for now. blu-ray remasters would just clean up these inherent flaws of the dvd transfers. plus they would make lots of $$$ for fox
    you should watch it on @zach's 1970's console
    funky

didn't bring the console to the big city.

shame

Blog Entries

great collection. i got the final episodes of space ghost at the build-your-own-DVD shop too. same cover used too i think.

also points for the MST3K statues.

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    great collection. i got the final episodes of space ghost at the build-your-own-DVD shop too. same cover used too i think.

also points for the MST3K statues.
    Thanks! Yeah I snatched up those SGC2C episodes as fast as I could. The censored episodes from past releases were also on the build-your-own DVD thing uncensored (few examples: Al Roker in Chambraigne, President's Day Nightmare with all the Cartoon Cartoon clips, Joshua with William the King of Imagination). It was typically changed stock footage or small changes, nothing major. I managed to buy a second disc with half of the uncensored/uncut episodes and planned to buy a second of the rest of 'em but they closed down.

MST3K statues rule, I wish they'd release a S.O.L. in an upcoming DVD collection.

I've got 1 - 12 on DVD, with 7 and 8 in the head packaging. I did have Season 9 in the head packaging for about a week after release, but it really didn't seem that good a quality so I exchanged it for the regular box (at some point I'd like to get 7 and 8 in the regular packaging). I have 13 to 16 on blu-ray, and ashamed to say that yes, I have 20 on blu-ray too (even sold the S20 DVD to upgrade to it). I don't mind the more basic design for the blu-ray sets, I have enough movies and TV shows that I'd prefer them to not take up as much room as the DVD boxes. Had the movie on DVD, but sold it out of hope that at some point a more substantial disc will be released.

As for other animated shows (not just Fox):
    American Dad! vol. 1 through 8
    Family Guy vol. 1 through 12
    Bob's Burgers Seasons 1 and 2 (2 is one of those Amazon manufacture-on-demand titles not available in normal stores)
    Drawn Together Seasons 1 to 3 (I can go ages without watching it, and then blaze through all 3 in a couple days - love this show)
    South Park 1 to 16 (12 and 13 are on blu-ray, the rest are DVD. Now that I finally have a region A blu-ray player, I might upgrade 14 onwards to blu-ray, as they are region locked and not available in Australia. Also have the movie on blu-ray, which strangely is region free while the actual show is not).
    Futurama 1 to 5 on DVD, all movies on DVD (in a 'collected epics' set), Bender's Game and Into the Wild Green Yonder on blu-ray, and vol. 6 to 8 on blu-ray. I'll upgrade Vol. 5 to blu-ray at some point, but will have to import the US version. Have the US versions of 6 to 8 in the nice cardboard packaging, but 5 was back in the day before Fox made their blu-rays region free - it is available here, but in a standard plastic case that won't match up with the other volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid
    Season 5 was the Homer head, but I did that mail-away form for the standard box because I hated the 5-10 heads.
    Cap, just want to clarify you mean Season 6 for the Homer head packaging? Noticed in the repackaged DVD thread you refer to it as Season 5 as well - Season 5 was the final one with the old TV cutout theme.
    Last edited by Charlie; 02-04-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Blog Entries

Thanks! Yeah I snatched up those SGC2C episodes as fast as I could. The censored episodes from past releases were also on the build-your-own DVD thing uncensored (few examples: Al Roker in Chambraigne, President's Day Nightmare with all the Cartoon Cartoon clips, Joshua with William the King of Imagination). It was typically changed stock footage or small changes, nothing major. I managed to buy a second disc with half of the uncensored/uncut episodes and planned to buy a second of the rest of 'em but they closed down.
    i would've done this but they were too expensive. $20 for a disc that can't even hold 2 hours? i like SG but not enough for $20 a disc for episodes i pretty much already have. the final eps. were worth it though. put the brak show original pilot and one of the unreleased on DVD episodes on there along with it because there was enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by fugabutacus View Post
    I also used to buy region 1 imports of I Love Lucy but stopped after season four because it's just such a hassle to watch them.
    how is it a hassle to watch dvds? they're the most convenient home video format

Blog Entries

yeah seriously, what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Cap, just want to clarify you mean Season 6 for the Homer head packaging? Noticed in the repackaged DVD thread you refer to it as Season 5 as well - Season 5 was the final one with the old TV cutout theme.
    Whoop! Yes, I meant six. 1-5 were couch gags, 6-10 were the family, 11+ were secondary characters. Just typing that out so I don't make the same goof again.

So the Simpsons Movie blu ray is on Amazon for $12.00. I'm watching all my DVDs in order, and when I reach the end of Season 10 I was gonna watch my Simpsons Movie DVD, but this seems really cool. Is the blu ray worth it? Does it look better than the DVD?

Bob's Burgers Seasons 1 and 2 (2 is one of those Amazon manufacture-on-demand titles not available in normal stores)
    What does the back of the season 2 cover look like?

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

I'll get right on it for you ( it's nothing too exciting though!)

I can empathise with them, I found it a pain til I found out you can make your standalone player region free (though it doesn't work if you use a console, say a PS3, to play your DVDs).

Quote Originally Posted by stanthewarrior
    Is the blu ray worth it? Does it look better than the DVD?
    If you're watching it on a HDTV, it'll look way better than the DVD. DVD is technically designed for standard def TVs, and while it can look great on a HD set, blu-ray will generally always have the advantage, especially if it comes from a digital source like with The Simpsons Movie.

If you're watching it on a HDTV, it'll look way better than the DVD. DVD is technically designed for standard def TVs, and while it can look great on a HD set, blu-ray will generally always have the advantage, especially if it comes from a digital source like with The Simpsons Movie.
    Awesome. I have an HD TV and I just got a new blu ray player for Christmas, and I think watching the Simpsons movie in Blu Ray will be a perfect end to my marathon.

Blog Entries

i don't know why you even considered the DVD then. like, 99% of movies made from the HD era look fantastic on a format that is HD. even SD movies look generally great if it's the right company.

Yeah, but I had the Simpsons Movie dvd waaaaaay before I had a blu ray player. I was considering wether or not I should get the blu ray because I already had the DVD.

These days I only tend to buy from iTunes. I like having everything at my finger tips without having to switch disks every half an hour, and DVDs take up so much room.

I'll get right on it for you ( it's nothing too exciting though!)
    Hope you show it soon man. It's been a couple of weeks. :P

Blog Entries

i guess this is the best place for this? got the 17th season the other day (i know i know) and since that's apparently the FINAL set to be released i UPDATED my simps area. this spot's sometimes reserved for my seinfeld seasons. s20's not in there because i don't have the case for that or the movie anymore [lost in the move] so i put them on a spindle

Last edited by Sam; 06-01-2015 at 04:45 PM.

haha i love how everybody bought season six twice. there's a crushed homer head still kickin' around my parents' house too.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Thread Information