Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: General DVD discussion.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I'm still so pissed that they stopped producing the DVDs, and for such bizarre reasons. I really wish, at the very least, they ended at 19 so that the barebones 20 could come next and we'd have the seasons that came before and after the movie.

It was obviously not a sales issue, and Al Jean doesn't seem to care enough to ask for the real reason why they stopped. My money is on the FXX streaming deal, likely a contract stipulation that gave them X amount of years as being the only place to watch all the episodes.

I've been secretly hoping that because Simpsons World hasn't gone international, FOX will eventually begin releasing DVDs and blu-rays in Europe and Americans can import them. I'd gladly buy a region free player if it meant Simpsons on DVD (also, I have a few UK DVDs anyway).
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

*goes to the store and buys expensive region free dvd player just so i can watch shitty modern simpsons*

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    *goes to the store and buys expensive region free dvd player just so i can watch shitty modern simpsons*
    $35 is expensive to you?

Blog Entries

to watch one set yes. and most region free dvd players are more expensive than that

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

you should go region free regardless of international simpsons dvds. i paid way more than $35 for my machine and i've never regretted it for a second. i play a lot of region locked discs, though. about half my collection comes from the uk now.

Blog Entries

i have a region free dvd player actually

I never said I was buying a region free player for one set. I said if they ended up releasing seasons internationally, I'd gladly get a region free player and import. This is talking seasons 18+ (so at the moment, 10 seasons or more), and as mentioned I have quite a few UK DVDs that I've only ever been able to play on my laptop (which I don't prefer when I have a TV and couch available). I wouldn't mind also picking up Look Around You season 2 and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace on DVD.

But as it is, it doesn't even look like FOX wants to make money overseas. Hell, they won't even sell seasons 18 and 19 on the App Store.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just hope they release them eventually. If the show ends and they release a seasons 1 - 30 set with 18 - 30 only being available on it and not seperately. Seeing as it would be very expensive, people would still use Simpsons World

What sucks about Simpsons World is:

• You need to be a cable subscriber
    • You need a solid internet connection
    • There is always an FXNOW logo in the corner
    • You sit through ads
    • No deleted scenes for seasons 18+
    • Commentary tracks are not supported on all devices
    • 4:3 episodes are not supported on all devices (has this changed?)
    • You don't own the episodes and cannot take them with you to view offline or at a friend's house unless they have FXNOW

Blog Entries

i think commentary and 4:3 have changed. both options show up on my xbox now, which didn't have them for eons after the mobile version

Blog Entries

• Only available in the U.S
    Last edited by Grifty McGrift; 01-20-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: took me that long to realize i wrote online instesd of 'only'

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

How many of the original releases (i.e. the no flap versions of seasons 1 to 10) of Seasons 1 to 12 came with the paper on the back?

And is there any difference in packaging between the Original and Re-issued versions of Seasons 11 & 12?

I believe they all had a slip of paper on the back, I kept all of mine and put them in the box.

No clue on the second question.

Hop in or die. BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Got season 1 & 2 on Saturday
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

god damn how many times are they gonna repeat "we mentioned products but never got free stuff?" in the commentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    What sucks about Simpsons World is:

• You need to be a cable subscriber
    • You need a solid internet connection
    • There is always an FXNOW logo in the corner
    • You sit through ads
    • No deleted scenes for seasons 18+
    • Commentary tracks are not supported on all devices
    • 4:3 episodes are not supported on all devices (has this changed?)
    • You don't own the episodes and cannot take them with you to view offline or at a friend's house unless they have FXNOW
    Also it's hard to see everything in view.
    It loads which takes time to watch.

I hope FOX changes their minds about the DVDs soon, almost everyone on Amazon is mad about the DVDs stopping as well.
    Simpsons Tapped Out name: Zim999777

Hop in or die. BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got Seasons 3 & 4 on Friday.

A few more things why Simpsons World sucks and we need our DVDs back:
    You have to sign in EVERY single time just to watch an episode.
    Also I was just there and the episode I wanted to watch never started.

It won't be long now till the DVDs are back.
    I hope.

Not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...s-dvd-releases

Let's at least show we still want the DVDs.
    When Invader Zim was canceled I felt a part of me die. The DVDs were the only things keeping me happy for years, I won't give up on the ONLY show which is the reason why I keep cable.

Blog Entries

Still ticked off at that dick move. Hope we get them back.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zim999 View Post
    A few more things why Simpsons World sucks and we need our DVDs back:
    You have to sign in EVERY single time just to watch an episode.
    Also I was just there and the episode I wanted to watch never started.

It won't be long now till the DVDs are back.
    I hope.
    With the exception of a complete box set, I doubt any more disc-based seasons will be released. By making the Simpsons cable only, FXX gets to renew a contract with cable companies every few years that forces viewers to keep paying for the cable companies to keep paying for FXX. FXX created an endless revenue stream by doing this.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My main problem with the commentary on the FXX site is that when you try to view it with Closed Captions, the CC is of the commentary rather than the episode.

Blog Entries

I still want to watch the season 18 commentaries, still haven't found them.

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They're nothing to write home about. There are a few interesting tidbits sprinkled throughout, but it's mostly a lot of random tangents that don't relate much to the episodes.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

It doesn't really matter to me if they aren't great, or almost even if they were bad lol. I like watching the eps and then watching them again with the commentary. Sometimes the commentaries can be a bit boring, but on the whole I find them interesting and sometimes even laugh out loud funny. It's pretty much a tradition for me at this point, to get a new dvd season each year. Even if the last few seasons of the show were utter garbage, I would watch through them because I'm a completist (for, specific limited things), and the idea that I can't complete my dvd collection drives me insane (when I think about it, which isn't all that often).

Blog Entries

I like the commentaries cause atm I'm only on season 14, and it feels so good to have so much new content to watch (hear), hearing how episodes came about is also interesting. So idc if they're boring, really

I wouldn't be so pissed at SimpsonsWorld if it was available here.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Zim999

I got season 4 on DVD at last the other day when I found it in a store in Canton, OH called "The Exchange." Cost 11 bucks, but it was in great condition. Included pretty much everything on it, and it was one of the early print box sets, which I like. Might buy season 6 and above, but I'm unsure about the packaging on those. Calling @handsome_devil for some advice.

Blog Entries

advice about what? which version is preferable? i have a season 6 homer head and it's pretty dire, but it works i guess. the standard versions are way better, especially beyond 6. 6's standard version is better, but it matters less because the innards are still from the homer head. you just get the Neato box otherwise, which many people, including me, prefer seeing on their shelf.

the new versions you see in stores are variations on the original packaging, but it's more eco-friendly, more prone to break, looks worse, is usually smaller, and in some cases, there is entirely new art printed on the discs ala season 8. your best bet to get the original versions would probably be ebay. they rarely sell the original packaging in stores anymore and i'm pretty surprised any stores still keep those ones in stock

When I went to the exchange, I did see seasons 6-15, but season 6 was in the head packaging, which I'd rather not have. I'm hoping to find the original versions of those seasons soon as I'm still trying to avoid the eco-friendly packaging. Do you know which seasons started only with the eco-friendly packaging? That may be my stopping point if I decide to continue beyond the eighth season.

Looked on eBay just now to check for any season 6 DVDs, and it's mostly the heads. Since images (to me) might be deceiving, how do you tell if it's the eco-friendly release or the original?

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 11 was the first season that had eco-friendly packaging. Pretty sure it's the packaging and the trouble I had removing the discs that causes some of them to freeze from that seaosn.

Thread Information