Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First "Horrifying" Moment on Family Guy

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

First "Horrifying" Moment on Family Guy

Sorry if the title's an exaggeration. But basically the first three seasons of Family Guy are often hailed as the seasons that could offend here or there but never overdid the blood, vomit or abusive attitudes between the characters. Here I'm looking for the first moment in the series (most likely post-revival, I'm guessing) that's beyond disturbing for you; a moment that you still haven't quite understood how the show got away with it after repeat viewings, a moment you can't just shrug it off.

Things like the Griffin males puking all over the living room were initially disturbing to me but I got over it and even find some funny parts in the scene ("Hold my ears") although it's still immature humor. And I remember people here being pissed that Meg was actually killed in Jungle Love, but that doesn't even faze me especially seeing how much darker the show's gotten. But I was watching Lois Kills Stewie last night and, alternate reality or not, Lois beating the shit out of her own baby and making him bleed as well as Peter putting a bullet through his head really is too much. And as his corpse lies on the ground the first comment is Brian pointing out to Peter how his witty lines don't make sense. I've only seen the episode a couple times so maybe my feelings will soften on this too, but it always feels wrong in the show when it incorporates infant abuse, like the turtle trying to kill Stewie in Lois Comes Out of Her Shell and Stewie and Penelope beating each other up in Mr. and Mrs. Stewie. So yeah, after reviewing the list of episodes prior, I think I'm going with Lois Kills Stewie, season 6.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Blog Entries

Maybe not horrific but I think the first time Family Guy made me feel kinda freaked out and uncomfortable was the cutaway gag in "Peter's Two Dads" where Stewie was imagining himself in a BDSM scenario with Lois.

I'm having trouble finding the clip on YouTube but I did manage to find a screenshot.
    How to remaster

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Blog Entries

The scene from the above episode where Lois is imagining a vulked up Lois pounding on him is a little uncomfortable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nichy View Post
    The scene from the above episode where Stewie is imagining a hulked up Lois pounding on him is a little uncomfortable.
    Not to be that doucher that edits other peoples posts when quoting, but is that what you meant to say as opposed to "Lois" and "Vulked"?

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I don't mind over the top violence, and I actually find it funny sometimes (even if it is Lois beating up or killing Stewie). I do think the ipecac stuff is disturbing, though. But I wouldn't call it "horrifying." I really wouldn't be able to say what the first horrifying thing on Family Guy was, but it might be the horse in Family Gay. It also disturbs me whenever there is a reference to Stewie having sex. When he dresses up as a woman and pretends to go on a date with Brian to make someone (Jillain maybe) jealous and runs into those guys he knows comes to mind (We Love You Conrad, maybe? I'm not sure which episode that was). There might be some really disturbing stuff before that that I am forgetting about (and given that this is Family Guy, there probably is).

Probably the whole rape scene with aquaman
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Blog Entries

@Quite Corking I agree. I hate that running gag of Stewie dressing up as a woman to meet older men for sex. It's just plain fucking creepy. Same goes for him hiring the male hooker in "Roads to Vegas" who claimed that "Someone's getting torn open". Seriously. You really have to wonder exactly what the fuck is wrong with the FG writing staff at times.

Blog Entries

In the episode where Peter gets his prostate checked, there's that grainy black and white footage of the doctor being portrayed as an evil pirate or something hell bent on raping Peter. I haven't seen the episode in several years(and I wish I could find a video), so I know the description sounds a little off, but that scene always disturbed me.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

it's a parody of lifetime's stupid shows and it's really not meant to be disturbing. i find it pretty funny. "RELAX. I BE A DOCTOR."

the first disturbing thing i felt was the rudolph tumor thing. freaked me out, that was when i was like five though.

the first actually disturbing thing in the show from my viewpoint now is 'gary the no trash cougar', probably. probably the first example of extremely dickish peter.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

It was the Meg abuse, because at the time that I started watching, it had become a regular occurrence on the show, but I hadn't seen enough of it to know that. I thought everyone took turns on the same scale - needless to say I was horrified when I realized I was incorrect. The Rudolph tumor thing freaks me out too. The ipecac scene has always been funny to me.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First time I was kind of shocked by Family Guy: The ipecec scene. I laughed really hard at the scene when I first saw it, but it was still kind of weird to see on the show.

First time I was kind of horrified by FG: The scene where Peter pulls up Chris's dead frog for 20 seconds. I always feel really uncomfortable when dead animals are used for 'funny' scenes on TV shows, and that one always stuck out as 'horrifying', or at least for that point in the series.

First time I was really horrified by FG: Brian's mushroom trip. Not because it was bad or anything, but it always really horrified me the first few times I saw it, especially the part with Peter slowly being melted and cooked over a fire. Along with the dark trippy animation and mean spiritedness to it, the scene always stuck out to me as when the series started to get a darker vibe to it (or at least when I first noticed it, there's probably a lot more messed up scenes from Season 8 and 9 I completely forgot about).
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

This is such an easy question;

Stewie beating the shit out of Brian for not paying up on his bet. I knew the show was different at that point but I still somewhat enjoyed it, but after that I knew the characters and show I once loved were gone and would never be the same. It also showed how damn cruel the show had become, and how all signs were pointing to things only getting more cruel and more violent.

Quote Originally Posted by MindQuad View Post
    This is such an easy question;

Stewie beating the shit out of Brian for not paying up on his bet. I knew the show was different at that point but I still somewhat enjoyed it, but after that I knew the characters and show I once loved were gone and would never be the same. It also showed how damn cruel the show had become, and how all signs were pointing to things only getting more cruel and more violent.
    Shit, forgot about that scene. That's actually my answer to this thread now rather than Lois Kills Stewie. According to the Wikipedia page for Patriot Games, "Several production members were offended." I wonder who these people were, and if those in charge actually took these cast members' concerns into consideration or didn't care one bit.

Yep, that scene really defined the new direction of the show and the new characterization - or lack thereof - going on. The ipecac scene is pretty bad too though…not that it's that horrifying or offensive but, like the B-plot in "Patriot Games" highlighted how violent and cruel the show was becoming, the throw-up scene was evidence it was becoming lazy and juvenile, and much more gross-out oriented.

And yeah, I wonder who was against that…whoever it was probably adapted to the new style pretty quickly though, because it sure as heck didn't get any better.

It's been the moments the show has called itself out on it's absurdity for me. There's a scene where Peter lies on top of a passed out Connie D'Amico to "keep her warm" then yells at the camera "What do you want?! It's a cartoon!" There have been a few rape jokes that have made my jaw drop, as well as some of the Herbert stuff. There was a scene in the most recent episode where Peter goes to give Susie a Raspberry but closes his eyes too early and its implied he does it on her genitals. It's funny because it's just so unbelievably wrong.

That was funny? That was a horrible joke if I've ever heard one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Not to be that doucher that edits other peoples posts when quoting, but is that what you meant to say as opposed to "Lois" and "Vulked"?
    That's right. But now I'm imagining Lois being beaten up by a muscular doppelganger of herself dressed up as Mr. Spock. Curse my fingers.

I forgot to mention the Airport '07 gag which features a guy beating his wife after that plane crash recreation, that was a little too much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nichy View Post
    I forgot to mention the Airport '07 gag which features a guy beating his wife after that plane crash recreation, that was a little too much.
    I didn't mind that one because the entire point of the gag was the news trying to make something seem worse than it actually was (Everyone survives plane crash, so to make it seem more interesting they mock up some more horrific outcomes for the sake of sensationalising the story).

Though a gag I really dislike in that episode is when Peter mentions that he was raped in a federal prison after being arrested for hijacking. I think that was more or less the start of when they began having Peter getting raped as a gag (Like the time he was raped by a breeding bull or the time Meg raped him with a loofah...come to think of it, those were both in the same fucking episode).

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think when Brain vomited for like 2 minutes, that scared me because I have a phobia of vomiting and wouldn't even want to imagine what it would be like to vomit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I didn't mind that one because the entire point of the gag was the news trying to make something seem worse than it actually was (Everyone survives plane crash, so to make it seem more interesting they mock up some more horrific outcomes for the sake of sensationalising the story).

Though a gag I really dislike in that episode is when Peter mentions that he was raped in a federal prison after being arrested for hijacking. I think that was more or less the start of when they began having Peter getting raped as a gag (Like the time he was raped by a breeding bull or the time Meg raped him with a loofah...come to think of it, those were both in the same fucking episode).
    He was also raped by the smell of a pie and milked by Deirdre Jackson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcarrion View Post
    He was also raped by the smell of a pie and milked by Deirdre Jackson.
    Yep, and then there was the time that Lois raped him because he was abstinent and attempted to fuck her in the ear instead of having regular vaginal sex.

The only things that have ever horrified me on Family Guy are the Simpsons murder scene and the mushroom trip scene. Everything else in this thread just made me laugh.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I'd agree with @MindQuad's answer though, to be fair, I couldn't help but wince when Evil Stewie cut off poor Brian's tail.

Blog Entries

I remember one episode of family guy that really disturbed me was the one where Stewie falls down the stairs and not only is he knocked unconscious for most of the episode but he also has a graphic head injury where you can see his brain. I think that was the first time I was truly disgusted by Family Guy and it was at that point I started to realize how poor the later seasons were.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Blog Entries

that's one of my least favorite episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    I'd agree with @MindQuad's answer though, to be fair, I couldn't help but wince when Evil Stewie cut off poor Brian's tail.
    And then to top it off, they did that same exact gag in The Blind Side, even though that time it was normal Stewie fully aware of what he was doing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I find most of these things not shocking at all, just mentally disturbing.

Banned

Dial Meg for Murder.

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the opening credits

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

All of the above and more. The thing is, I'm not opposed to shocking humor--American Dad and South Park do it and it does't bother me there. I guess the difference is that FG isn't as funny when it does it. Additionally, FG makes shocking humor major parts of some episodes and gets away with domestic abuse and rape jokes, which I don't really see in American Dad, for example.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Thread Information