Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PowerPuff Girls Reboot

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    @Infinity183, unfortunately CN doesn't really care about having a broad demographic for every show. They like things to be narrowly aimed at specific demos because it's easier to market merchandise. It's insanely shitty but the aim here is that they want little girls to buy into whatever PPG merchandise is churned out while this reboot is on. They don't care who else tunes in as long as they're getting the target demographic that's most likely to pump money into their pockets by buying t-shirts, toys, backpacks etc.

Are you familiar with a show called "Young Justice"? It was a fairly recent CN show based on the DC Universe which was cancelled after two seasons. The reason? It wasn't an issue of ratings. It was an issue of toys not selling. Mattel was putting money into the show, and the fact that the show was doing better with girls than it was boys meant they weren't hitting the target demographic of who the toys were being marketed towards. This obviously went against the interests of both CN and Mattel and so in spite of the show being popular enough, it got canned because merch wasn't selling well, regardless of the high female viewership.

PPG coming back is part of CN trying to get some mileage out of the fact that there's clearly a young female audience interested in superhero stuff, factor in the nostalgic fans of the original and you've got a potential recipe for success. DC and Mattel are also doing their part to get in on this same thing following what went down with Young Justice by marketing its characters aggressively to girls with a new show called "DC SupeHero Girls".

Take a good look at those designs, compare them to this...

...and tell me that they aren't trying to go for the young female audience in the most blatantly narrow way imaginable, with little to no wiggle room for a broad demographic, even though the show from the latter image proved popular with girls anyway. If the PPG are gonna be crushing on boy bands this early on, then I wouldn't be surprised if they hammer such aspects in over time in an attempt to appeal to what the writers think young girls generally relate to.

It'd be amazing if they could find a way to be inclusive without being patronizingly on the nose about it and allow entertainment products to thrive if there's an audience, regardless of who the primary demographic is, but in this industry, it seems that we're still a long way from getting to that point as long as the people calling the shots aren't willing to step outside the stereotypical methods of marketing shows and merchandise based on outdated views of gender norms in children.
    Wow, I had no idea superhero shows are apparently now more popular with girls than with boys. Back during my childhood, you really only heard boys chattering about Batman and X-Men, and since the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles revival is basically targeted towards males, I would imagine that other action-adventure shows would be similar. Stuff like The Powerpuff Girls and Sailor Moon were the only exceptions in the genre that attracted more female viewers.

I guess I may have overestimated what was possible with the new Powerpuff Girls series. I always thought the original show had an excellent setup but that it could be expanded upon even further. It's such a shame, though, that all these television shows are so commercially oriented, essentially a regression back to the 1980s and less like the 90s and 2000s (for the most part). To be fair, even back in the late 90s and early 2000s, during the original show's run, you had a lot of "Powerpuff Stuff" being sold in stores that was strictly targeted towards stereotypical suburban girls, but that still didn't hamper the series itself.

I guess what a lot of my disappointments come down to, is largely based on the fact that Disney, in spite of being the epitome of a money-making corporation, has still successfully evolved its character archetypes to suit more modern social norms while still being able to sell plenty of toys. Up until The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the majority of their villains were either LGBT stereotypes or evil matriarchs. Since then, they've featured a bigoted religious fanatic, alpha males, and now characters you wouldn't expect to be evil in the first place as the primary antagonists in their movies. Their women have also become steadily more independent and less dependent on finding a man or conforming to traditional gender roles. Then, there's Zootopia, which is probably the most complex and thematically mature picture that the canon has ever released despite centering around a society of anthropomorphic animals.

In my opinion, if Disney can make such sensible progress with their movies in spite of their ascendency towards the potential monopolization of the film industry, then there's no reason Cartoon Network cannot do the same. Frozen sold bucketloads of toys, yet it was still popular with a wide variety of people, very much including minorities. I personally think the new Powerpuff Girls would have worked better if the boyband type of crap was left out because it pretty much sets in stone a very specific idea of what girls are apparently supposed to like growing up, when really they're a bit more complex than that. Some are definitely of the ditzy, princessy type who would buy into that silliness, but certainly not all. Bubbles really should have been the only girl obsessed with the boyband; Buttercup and even Blossom being just as infatuated with the group pretty much seems inconsistent. I'd more realistically imagine Buttercup would say that the boyband is for sissies and prefer listening to a punk rock band instead (a crush here would make more sense, even though I'd be just as happy for that to be moot). Blossom, on the other hand, seems like the type of person who would be into indie or even classical music, or at least something not as processed as a boyband. Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation, since the characters are still little girls, perhaps a little older in this case, but it's certainly unfortunate that the studio is taking such a myopic route.

As for the inclusion of Him, barring some sort of insane influx of complaints that causes them to drop the character, I doubt they'll take much care with regards how they portray him. I mean, the whole reason he's called "Him" is because in the original the girls alluded heavily to the fact that Him is literally Satan but they have to dance around using any biblical names because it's a kids show. For the most part, you don't often see Satan portrayed in a positive light. I don't remember anyone making a fuss about it when the show was on originally, but then again, I was a child, so it's not like I would have been that in tune with whatever controversies were taking place. If complaints were made back in 1998 that were ignored, that sucks, but if the same outcry is there when Him eventually pops up on our screens again, then maybe, just maybe, the power that social media gives people to voice their displeasure will send a clearer message to both CN and the show's writers than was possible in the 90's.
    I never thought about or even recognized the whole gay thing about him back when I was a kid, I just knew he was really evil and mysterious. Still, I think the character sends a now-totally outdated message about gender identification.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Blog Entries

Well, I'll be damned.

@Infinity183, you thought them bringing back Him was a bad move? THEY'RE GETTING RID OF MS. BELLUM!
    One character who didn't make the cut in the new "Powerpuff Girls" series? The mayor's red-headed assistant Ms. Bellum.

"We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on," Jennings explained. "And that was a good choice I think on our part."

The Ms. Sara Bellum character was the super-intelligent, capable and apparently beautiful woman (her face was never shown), who for some reason never rose above being the assistant to the generally clueless mayor of Townsville.
    Source :http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...401-story.html

I saw a clip from the upcoming episode ("Bye, Bye Bellum") where she gives her notice but it seemed like the kind of setup that would ultimately have the girls convincing her to come back at the end. The fact that they're getting rid of her yet keeping Him in the picture is just fucking dumb. The article even notes itself that she was a highly intelligent character. The fact that she never had a career move past being the Mayor's assistant shouldn't undermine the fact that she was clearly the brains of the operation in that office, Hell, that was part of the joke! Not to mention her role as an occasional aide to the girls meant they had a competent adult woman to turn to in times of crisis.

Let's be honest, the real reason they're getting rid of her has to be that her design is likely much too sexual for modern day CN.

I mean, say what you will about Him, it's not like they ever did anything sexual with...

... oh.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

its pretty great how they are cutting her over some vague notion of "progressiveness" but continuing to have man-in-a-dress gags sure thing no problem there ahahah

there really was one way to be and this is not it, we think

Blog Entries

Remember when the day was saved thanks to Ms. Bellum? I do. I remember.

But hey, forget that shit. That's not progressive. NOW, WHO WANTS TO SEE THE GIRLS TWERKING!?

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

is there any place to watch this (legally) online?

Blog Entries

I think the only way to legally view them online right now would be with the CN app.

So yeah, without naming names I'll just say your best bet is to use whatever streaming sites are popular for viewing animated shows if you aren't willing to torrent.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i may check it out but at the same time, my hopes are not very high for this so i may just let it slide and not bother... especially judging by the new title sequence and the new voices. watching a two minute preview right now and i'm not really impressed by it.

Blog Entries

the intro is great.. better than the old one

Blog Entries

the intro's animation and backgrounds in the show are the only things I like about this reboot. everything else is meh...

shame about miss bellum. how will the mayor cope without her?

Well, I'll be damned.

@Infinity183, you thought them bringing back Him was a bad move? THEY'RE GETTING RID OF MS. BELLUM!

Source :http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...401-story.html

I saw a clip from the upcoming episode ("Bye, Bye Bellum") where she gives her notice but it seemed like the kind of setup that would ultimately have the girls convincing her to come back at the end. The fact that they're getting rid of her yet keeping Him in the picture is just fucking dumb. The article even notes itself that she was a highly intelligent character. The fact that she never had a career move past being the Mayor's assistant shouldn't undermine the fact that she was clearly the brains of the operation in that office, Hell, that was part of the joke! Not to mention her role as an occasional aide to the girls meant they had a competent adult woman to turn to in times of crisis.

Let's be honest, the real reason they're getting rid of her has to be that her design is likely much too sexual for modern day CN.

I mean, say what you will about Him, it's not like they ever did anything sexual with...

... oh.
    Yep, they've lost their heads. Before you know it, Professor Utonium will literally be married or find a permanent wife, as opposed to the casual no homo nod of Mommy Fearest.

Blog Entries

Ms. Bellum being removed due to being too sexual in design would also stand to reason because Ms. Keane was redesigned to remove her breasts.

Also, while I haven't seen it yet, I'd be interested to hear @deadname and @Infinity183's thoughts on the episode "Horn, Sweet Horn", which was supposed to be their big trans episode about a pony who wants to become a unicorn, or as the Wiki description puts it.
    Donny the pony threatens Townsville after the Professor accidentally transforms him into a monster.
    Here's a quote from the same interview I linked above regarding the removal of Ms. Bellum talking about dealing with issues of gender in the "Horn, Sweet Horn" episode.
    In addition to shattering old tropes and kick-punching dated ideas, the new "Powerpuff Girls" will also address issues of gender and identity. One upcoming episode in particular touches on ideas of gender identity -- a topic open to conversation even in animated shows, thanks to programs such as "Steven Universe," which explores gender fluidity and rejects established gender norms.

"We did an episode where there's a unicorn. Basically when it starts out, he's a pony, but he wants to be a unicorn," Jennings explained. "He has to go through a transformation to become a unicorn and so it's a whole [episode that asks], 'What are you on the inside? What are you on the outside? How do you identify yourself? How do people see you?' There's a lot of subtext in that."

And while the showrunners are mindful of their target demographic, they don't believe in shying away from more complicated themes, with a proper approach.

"I don't think you can be too young to start talking about those issues and thinking about those things and just presenting an attitude," said Jennings, "and a voice that is going to resonate with people."
    I know @1010011010 saw the episode in question and while on TC noted that he wasn't even aware it was supposed to be about trans issues until I asked about it an noted what the supposed intent was on the part of the writers, but that with that in mind, would actually lower his rating of the episode (Feel free to delve into that in a bit more detail if you want, Binary) so I'm curious as to how it would be received by our actual trans members of the board.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2016, folks!

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

zing
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Why yes, that is indeed the gif that was already posted further on up the page.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

your one wasn't formatted properly Shaun. doesn't show up for me

Blog Entries

Shows up fine on my end. Didn't use Imgur for it because it did that shit where it automatically converts it to a WebM.

Blog Entries

doesn't show up for me either or else I wouldn't have posted the gif... again

Blog Entries

didn't show up properly for me as well.

anyways I did see that unicorn ep just last night, not knowing it was made explicitly to mirror gender identity issues, with that now in mind I guess I can understand more of the hate this episode has gotten. I just identify as a man so I have no idea if any stuff in the ep would be considered offensive, but even without understanding that portion of the ep I can say it was a very boring standard episode of a kids cartoon which is what can be used to describe every ep so far. This new series really doesn't seem to have it's own identity yet, it just feels like every mediocre kids cartoon I've seen, it's not terrible like some are making it out to be but I guess that has more to do with it being a reboot of a beloved classic CN show. Tbh I don't think this show will last beyond it's first 40 ep season, the ratings are pretty mediocre so far, fan response is bad and I'm not very sure kids care at all about the new series, but best case is they discover the old show and maybe watch it on netflix and just ignore this reboot.

and yeah it kinda sux that Mrs Bellum is being written out of the series but I can kinda understand why, she was kinda objectified by the staff in the old series. I mean just watch the Sara vs Sedusa ep and not to mention her address is a fucking slang term for oral sex

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    and yeah it kinda sux that Mrs Bellum is being written out of the series but I can kinda understand why, she was kinda objectified by the staff in the old series. I mean just watch the Sara vs Sedusa ep and not to mention her address is a fucking slang term for oral sex
    Well, in that episode, she was actually Sedusa in disguise for much of the run. Like I said earlier this thread, she was also a much smarter and independent individual than her superior was. The fact that she was sexualized, if anything, drove home the feminist message that even the brightest of women are too often shoved aside as sexual beings; her face never being seen makes this all the more clear. If they really wanted to "censor" her, they should have just made her hips and breasts less pronounced or something, similar to Ms. Keane, but getting rid of her entirely is just terribly misguided.

I guess I'll have to see the unicorn episode later today, since I'm really curious about it now, but I have to imagine it can't possibly be as bad as anything featuring Him. At least I hope.

Blog Entries

it does the same things that most depections of trans narratives written by cis people do and proclaim "being yourself" to being "be happy with the body you have now and wanting to change it is misguided"

Quote Originally Posted by deadname View Post
    it does the same things that most depections of trans narratives written by cis people do and proclaim "being yourself" to being "be happy with the body you have now and wanting to change it is misguided"
    What I don't understand though is how does it even relate to being transgendered when  Donnie was a unicorn all along ? It's really nothing but a generic ugly duckling story, equivalent to  assuming you're a boy throughout your childhood and then suddenly developing breasts when you hit 11 . I don't even think the story is as much anti-physical transition so much as it's just telling kids to be patient the buttload of legal documentation that Donnie skims over reflects this even though it doesn't do enough to take into account the traumatic experience of undergoing childhood and puberty as a trans person without being able to do anything about it. I remember how devastated I was back when I pleaded for my parents to allow me to transition back in sixth grade, but instead they basically said they didn't even want to say anything about it until I turned eighteen.

Blog Entries

Stuff like this could easily be avoided with Bellum in the current incarnation of the show. That particular gag just comes off as a typical 90's cartoon sneaking shit past the censors just to see if they could.

Blog Entries

Still have yet to see a full episode of this show but just saw this trailer for an upcoming episode.

I have to give this reboot a proper watch some time so that I can judge it fairly as a whole product but holy fuck that meme bit was cringey. Isn't the "I can has Cheezburger?" thing damn near a decade old by now? I haven't seen it in forever.

Blog Entries

"Remember the time I made that Mojo Meme generator"
    What is this, Family Guy?

Not to mention; "Hack us in there" and my personal fav "Game on"
    jesus this is hilariously awful, this like worse then the simpsons trying to bo hip and current

"Remember the time I made that Mojo Meme generator"
    Wow. There was a joke about dank memes replacing chemical X in that parody posted a couple pages back. Didn't think anything that corny would actually end up in the show.

Blog Entries

pug ur mug tho

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Still have yet to see a full episode of this show but just saw this trailer for an upcoming episode.

I have to give this reboot a proper watch some time so that I can judge it fairly as a whole product but holy fuck that meme bit was cringey. Isn't the "I can has Cheezburger?" thing damn near a decade old by now? I haven't seen it in forever.
    While I'm in now way against women working in any job they want, I couldnt notice that quote that was super definitely put there to say that rather than sounding like normal speech.

And it took me right out of the scene because that sort of thing works better when it's better meshed with the speech of the characters.

And yeah, the meme joke was the absolute worst. If this show is aimed at kids then why is it using memes from when they were probably 5 years old?
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Also, if the Ameoba Boys are internet viruses now, why didnt they get redesigned? And why still call them Ameobas?

Unless they arent and just got trapped in the internet for an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    And yeah, the meme joke was the absolute worst. If this show is aimed at kids then why is it using memes from when they were probably 5 years old?
    It seems like the Powerpuff Girls are slightly older in this version of the show because their school no longer looks like a kindergarten and their fellow students are mostly a lot taller than them instead of all being just as small. Also, kids sharing Internet memes isn't really as out of the ordinary now as it was back when millennials were still in grade school.

Thread Information