Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PowerPuff Girls Reboot

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Sounds solid. I dunno what I'd be like in terms of checking what my kid watched on TV if/when I have one. Kid's shows are a bit of a grey area sometimes because I obviously remember the shows from when I was much younger that were filled with over the top slapstick (Ed, Edd N Eddy, Looney Tunes, Cow and Chicken, Tom and Jerry), creepy shit (Courage the Cowardly Dog, Goosebumps, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters) and of course, the shows that would sometimes go that extra mile to be really gross when they wanted (Spongebob Squarepants, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers). I have no idea how much newer shows on either network delve into this (The only newer shows I'm all that familiar with are Regular Show and Adventure Time) but I guess if it didn't screw me up to see that stuff as a kid, I'd be willing to let my kids watch provided I was with them most of the time just to be sure they could handle it.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

I got some mix feelings towards these plans for a reboot. I mean on one hand, the Powerpuff Girls are coming back. If they do it right, it will be awesome and my respect for Cartoon Network will increase. But what if they don't get it right? What if this is just a crappy kid-pandering cartoon with the Powerpuff Girls' name slapped on it? Plus I'm not quite as excited as I want to be for the sole reason that I'm so sick of everything getting rebooted nowadays.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

I almost wish that if they rebooted the series, they made it just a little darker, yet still retained some of the humor and down to earth charm of the original show. The characters already work off each other very effectively, but if they want to adapt the series to a new generation, I think it should let loose with story and creativity and not just make it another haha parody of early superheroes. That style worked for the original franchise not just because society was different around the end of the 90's, but also because the crude, edgy Hanna-Barbera animation perfectly matched the type of mood the writers were attempting before. The pilot for the new series that aired a few months ago has a much softer and cleaner look, fitting to the 2010's, but the reboot wouldn't be as effective if it otherwise tried to copy the original show exactly with this style.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Blog Entries

Is Lauren Faust going to have any involvement in it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeMM95 View Post
    I got some mix feelings towards these plans for a reboot. I mean on one hand, the Powerpuff Girls are coming back. If they do it right, it will be awesome and my respect for Cartoon Network will increase. But what if they don't get it right? What if this is just a crappy kid-pandering cartoon with the Powerpuff Girls' name slapped on it? Plus I'm not quite as excited as I want to be for the sole reason that I'm so sick of everything getting rebooted nowadays.
    If the writing in the special is anything to go on, I'd say it's gonna be more goofier and kid-friendly. I recall the special had some really shoehorned in recurring message about eating vegetables. It'll probably garner the same mixed reception that "Teen Titans Go!" received, where it'll generally be seen as nothing terrible but to fans of the original show it's not gonna seem right at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoony View Post
    Is Lauren Faust going to have any involvement in it?
    If Craig isn't involved then I doubt Lauren will be. The show ain't the same without him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    If the writing in the special is anything to go on, I'd say it's gonna be more goofier and kid-friendly. I recall the special had some really shoehorned in recurring message about eating vegetables. It'll probably garner the same mixed reception that "Teen Titans Go!" received, where it'll generally be seen as nothing terrible but to fans of the original show it's not gonna seem right at all.
    That's what I was afraid of. I still have hope for the reboot but I guess I should keep my expectations low. It could very well end up being a fun show but I doubt it will have the same edge and humour as the original. Which is a shame given all the adult jokes they got away with back then:

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Nothing they'll make is going to match the awesomeness of the original show, especially if Craig and Lauren aren't part of this project.

Blog Entries

Remember that episode of PPG where Buttercup became little a parody of Spawn? That was pretty fuckin' cool.

Blog Entries

Remember that episode of PPG where Buttercup became little a parody of Spawn? That was pretty fuckin' cool.
    I love that episode, so many funny moments:

I haven't watched PPG since the early 2000s, but it would be odd if they couldn't do innuendo anymore because, unless I'm wrong, Cartoon Network seems more lax in recent years with more PG-rated original series aimed at all ages. It could very well be true though that the new PPG loses its edge, especially if none of the original staff is involved. I could see the revival being so concerned about promoting girl power and being super politically correct.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    If Craig isn't involved then I doubt Lauren will be. The show ain't the same without him.
    Craig and Lauren are working on another project, so I doubt they would leave that for this, but it would pretty awesome if they could be involved with this again.

As for the innuendos, Regular Show gets away with a lot, so I don't see why PPG wouldn't be allowed to return to that sort of humor again.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First few promos released this week:

Premieres April 2016. Nice to see Him and Princess again, animation and new characters remind me a lot of Clarence for better or worse. New voices and look will take a while to get used to, but I'll give it a few episodes before judging though, seems decent at least.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

I miss the blood.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Blog Entries

savage

Blog Entries

Few things I don't really care for:

-The animation, which is gonna take some getting used to, isn't BAD per se, but the designs of some newer characters feel a lot more like something from Clarence and/or Steven Universe as opposed to the original PPG.
    -"Manboy" (The name of the villain in the second clip) is a dumb name. I can't remember if the original PPG had anything quite as on the nose as that.
    -Professor Utonium has a rounded jaw outline now and it doesn't look right.

Other than that, the new voices seem pretty good. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle the violence as well as HIM though. I can't really think of much else that was in the original show that they'd feel the need to tone down other than some of the now infamous dirty jokes that were scattered throughout various episodes and of course the multiple times that they hinted at Mojo Jojo getting sexually assaulted by his cellmates in prison, which I'm sure will be gone entirely.

BrokenBox

eh, heard the voice of buttercup and didn't like it. not gonna write the show off but really wish they brought the original voice actors back. oh well, at least they got Tom Kenny.

Blog Entries

and of course the multiple times that they hinted at Mojo Jojo getting sexually assaulted by his cellmates in prison, which I'm sure will be gone entirely.
    it's been far too long since I watched the original ppg and naturally these jokes would have just flown past younger me, but I don't remember anything about this. can you give an example?

anyway, I saw a clip on Facebook the other day. not too keen on the new look of some of the villains, like said it feels like a different show. and the voices are going to take some time to get used to, but otherwise, this looks pretty good. out of every CN show I used to watch, ppg is a good choice for a comeback.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walid View Post
    it's been far too long since I watched the original ppg and naturally these jokes would have just flown past younger me, but I don't remember anything about this. can you give an example?
    The joke Shaun is referencing happens at the end of "Cootie Gras". Mojo get thrown in jail and his cellmate is grinning at him. The narrator then says: "Love is in the air."

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Meh, I really don't have any strong feelings about this. Probably because I didn't grow up with the original show because I assumed that it was girly and after all this was way before it was OK for a guy to like My Little Pony. In recent years though I have actually watched a handful of episodes and I really liked most of them and I think this show could work as a reboot. I'm not too sure about this show though and the promos for the show look average, but hopefully it will be good in it's own right. Either way I'm not really looking forward to this nor am I loathing the idea of a PowerPuff Girls reboot, but I will watch it out of morbid curiosity when it airs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMM95 View Post
    The joke Shaun is referencing happens at the end of "Cootie Gras". Mojo get thrown in jail and his cellmate is grinning at him. The narrator then says: "Love is in the air."
    It also happened at the end of "Monkey See Doggy Two" and "Powerpuff Girls Rule!" as well.

Also, just because we're talking about sexual stuff involving Mojo Jojo, let us not forget this promo in which he gets an eyeful of some large, live action monkey dong.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LukeMM95, Ryan

BrokenBox

haha got an ad for the reboot before that vid

Blog Entries

Also, just because we're talking about sexual stuff involving Mojo Jojo, let us not forget this promo in which he gets an eyeful of some large, live action monkey dong.
    holy shit this is one of those things from childhood that you just forget until you actually see it again

incredible
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

The original show was fantastic, honestly among the best cartoons ever made. This reboot has a lot to live up to.

On another note, it annoys the crap out of me when people compare The Powerpuff Girls to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic just because of superficial similarities such as that they both feature female characters and has vaugly similar artstyles. The two shows are nothing alike. The Powerpuff Girls were an ironic action cartoon that had truly ambitious designs, stagning, camera work, and general directing. My Little Pony meanwhile is a generic sitcom with a few (non-ironic) adventure stories thrown in and in terms of directing is is completely typical among television cartoons with no visible ambition to create anything unique. If My Little Pony were half as good as Powerpuff Girls then this whole brony fad might have been halfway justified.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to beat a dead candy-colored horse and pick on bronys, because that is not my wish. I'm just saying that PPG and FiM are not similar, and that I'n my opinion PPG is VASTLY superior, and that I do not feel that FiM is even remotely entitled to it's enormous fanbase, not when there are so many better cartoons out there...

Blog Entries

the lack of the original va's is distracting. still don't know why they didn't even try to hire them back on for this.

Yeah I wouldn't want those new girls to be out of a job or anything, but I just would vastly prefer the original VAs still be involved especially since they were all available and willing. The show didn't really need to come back but if they were gonna bother why not go ahead and get as much of the original magic back as possible? That said, I've only heard Buttercup's voice in the preview which was ok but yeah, it is very distracting. If they otherwise still have that same level of humor (and cuteness) that charmed me in the original then at least that'll be nice.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

The weirdest thing about CN not seeking out the original VAs is the fact that they went to the bother of getting Tom Kenny back. I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind that.

Blog Entries

well tom kenny's doing the ice king on adventure time right now so it wouldn't have been hard to get him back.

also the art style here is really weird. there's something super-off about the Girls and i can't quite tell what it is

Blog Entries

@handsome_devil, it's a combination of things.

For a start, they outlines on the girls aren't anywhere near as thick as in the original. In addition to that, they've made their torsos smaller and/or their heads bigger, and of course, you have the slight tweaks to their designs such as Buttercup having that cowlick or Bubbles having the blue bobbles in her hair.

Blog Entries

they made it look more in line with their other shows like clarence and steven universe and such. back in the day most of those cartoon network shows, like ppg, dexter's lab, johnny bravo, cow and chicken etc. were all stylistically similar so i don't really have an issue with this natural evolution.

it's just the voices of the three girls that really bug me. it's like back in 2009 when fox wanted to bring back futurama but without the original actors, except cartoon network did it anyways without any negotiations with the original actors.
    Last edited by Two-Bit; 02-19-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Information