Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PowerPuff Girls Reboot

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I dunno if anyone remembers the Dexter's Lab PS1 game, but he doesn't look as weird as you'd think in 3D
    How to remaster

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

The producers of this new special who thought the Powerpuff Girls needed to make the jump into 3D should've taken a lesson from this:

My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Blog Entries

Holy fuck that's awesome. Would totally buy that game.

Blog Entries

I'm probably not gonna bother with this, surely it's cheaper and better to repeat the originals?

And hopefully they don't change HIM too much.

Blog Entries

it's just 2D-in-a-CG environment, not real full-fledged 3D for the design or special. it's sorta like south park in that respect i guess. don't get me wrong, it still looks dumb, but it's obviously not all polygon-y.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nichy View Post
    And hopefully they don't change HIM too much.
    I somehow doubt HIM would be allowed on children's TV anymore.

Heh, speaking of HIM, I was channel surfing last night and saw a bit of Cow and Chicken. Man, it would be so great to see HIM interacting with The Red Guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    . PPG isn't the only show to be revived; Johnny Bravo had a movie a few years ago, but it was mostly broadcast in Asia and South America.
    I never knew about this

Also, PPG was never a favourite of mine, so I'm not too interested or annoyed by this reboot. Now Courage the Cowardly Dog...THERE'S a show that needs a revival.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity183 View Post
    The producers of this new special who thought the Powerpuff Girls needed to make the jump into 3D should've taken a lesson from this:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I dunno if anyone remembers the Dexter's Lab PS1 game, but he doesn't look as weird as you'd think in 3D
    These games were the shit when I was a kid... they've probably aged horribly, though. Also, call me naive but I'm actually excited to see this revival.

Blog Entries

The designs look terrible but I'll still check it out. I loved the PPG when I was a kid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaiv View Post
    These games were the shit when I was a kid... they've probably aged horribly, though. Also, call me naive but I'm actually excited to see this revival.
    I still have the Dexter's Lab one. It's actually aged surprisingly well. My copy freezes when you get to the final level selection area though

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So the special premieres tonight. Just going to be optimistic and hope that it'll be as good as series was.

Also, here's Ringo's song.

Ugh, cardboard Ringo Starr in a skirt, why. Decent song though.
    Last edited by 1010011010; 01-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

^I actually thought that was creepy when I saw it on TV. I have no access to cable tonight for this, so hopefully someone posts it online.

Blog Entries

The animation style looks better suited for something else and it would look nicer without the cg element as the movements look awkward.

Blog Entries

CHEMICAL X?!??!?!

Blog Entries

Doesn't work in Canada. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

Ok so i found a version you can see outside the us.

Yeah this is pretty damn bad.

Blog Entries

It was meh.
    The backgrounds were really nice looking though.

Blog Entries

Well, all in all, the special was...okay.

Nothing else I can really say about it. The story was decent, but there nothing in it that made me laugh. The animation had some quirks to it that made it likeable and similar to the original shows animation, but was still pretty distracting and dull at times. Guess it could've been a lot worse, but it also could've been a lot better, especially in jokes and the Powerpuff Girl charm. Still, for something that didn't need to exist, it...didn't need to exist.

Overall: a 2.5/5.

Blog Entries

haha the idea of ringo starr dressing up as a powerpuff girl and singing about it alone is inherently funny to me.

but i think it's autotuned. blah.

more to come from me when the special is put onto the site i go on for this kinda shiz. i will say that the art design actually looks kinda neat. not as good as the original, but for psuedo-2D, it looks kinda wholesome.

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Oh my god, I Want to Be a Powerpuff Girl is just as atrocious as I was dreading it to be, if not even worse. Maybe if it was performed by some teenybopper girl from the Disney channel, it'd be a tolerable kids' song, but seeing one of the original Fabulous Four dressed like one of the girls the whole way through is too much for my eyes to bear. I laughed when Professor Utonium dressed up as Bubbles in one of the early episodes, and even Powerpuff Bluff was mildly amusing, but the Powerpuff drag concept falls completely flat here. The fact that the track has a semi-serious, laid-back tone only serves the ridiculousness factor even further.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the special was alright a 3/5 it had some funny jokes in it but it tried too hard to be too hip and modern for my tastes in parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

The special suffers from similar problems as the 10th Anniversary Special; the whole thing just moves way too dang quickly. There's no time to absorb much of any of it. While some of the elements of this reboot have a glimmer of what made the original series so great (fair characterization, snappy dialogue at points, completely absurd characters or plot elements which make little sense on their own but fall into place at the climax), the whole thing doesn't let itself settle in any particular scene. The inclusion of RIngo Starr as a guest voice is impressive, but it turns out to be surprising in a mostly negative way. Poor scripting, ridiculous set-ups ("I'm sorry, Mayor, but I can't help you get that pickle jar from off that shelf. Deal with it!" - Blossom) and jilted animation makes this a definite "skip", particularly for fans of the original show.

Blog Entries

fair characterization? dude, the special was so fast there was zero anything. it felt so stilted and weird that it was just odd to watch. sort of robotic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacalRoboKiller View Post
    I bet if the ratings are good CN will turn it into a new series. MARK.MY.WORDS
    BUMP
    You were right
    A new series will be coming in 2016
    http://time.com/2882535/powerpuff-gi...-network-2016/

Lets hope that if they keep this animation style that they will at least use traditional animation and not the janky 3d models

Blog Entries

I thought the special was lame as fuck. Also, from that article @Insomnia posted
    “The original ‘Powerpuff Girls’ was a franchise phenomenon for Cartoon Network, paving the way for a new generation of innovative storytellers and enthusiastic fans worldwide,” said Rob Sorcher, chief content officer, Cartoon Network. “We are calling these girls back into action based upon an overwhelming demand for sugar, spice and Chemical X.”
    Is that a super subtle way of saying "Everything nice has been removed from this PPG revival"?

Blog Entries

I'm honestly more interested in that Magic School bus revival than this.

If this is from the same people who did the special, I guess the show will be at least decent. Hopefully it'll go back to it's old animation style (which it won't), but the 3d animation wouldn't be too terrible.

Yeah Magic School Bus gets me somewhat excited at the new information they could take on and visualize.

A new PPG sounds neat in a way, but I am not down with the animation they used in the special. If anything, maybe the show will be appropriate enough for Amy to watch someday along w/ the original.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    If anything, maybe the show will be appropriate enough for Amy to watch someday along w/ the original.
    Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while now after @D4C posted something quite a while back along the lines of "I've decided that this (Can't remember the name) cartoon is appropriate for Amy". How do you actually go about picking and choosing stuff out for her? Like, I know the target audience of stuff on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network is young kids but do you ever have second thoughts about certain shows on kids stations like that because of content that you think might be a bit much for her (Like over the top slapstick violence and whatnot)? Just curious.

As long as they aren't swearing or doing anything graphic, we tend to let her watch any cartoon or kid's show especially if it has bright colors and music/singing. She loves when Adventure Time and Steven Universe come on TV, and I think Joshua has been showing her Sesame Street in the mornings. Lately when Regular Show comes on, she has been "barking" during the opening title when the SFX come in, so job well done? My parents never really policed what I watched, and I would actually stop myself when watching things I didn't think I could handle. I'm taking an approach closer to that.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Thread Information