Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: Rick and Morty

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hired Goon

I just recently caught the first 2 episodes of this over at a friend's house, seems pretty solid. I really liked the episode with all the dogs becoming super-intelligent and taking over the planet. Definitely wanna check out more of this show somehow.

Also I noticed Rick says Morty's name like 5 times per sentence. Does that continue, or is it just early-installment weirdness? Not a complaint, just something funny I couldn't help noticing.

Blog Entries

it lessens, yea
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Late news, but Rick and Morty got a huge episode order back in May. As long as Dan and Justin doesn't do anything to delay the show's production further season after season like another Adult Swim show (Venture Bros) is infamous for.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ric...im-1202805945/
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

at least Venture Bros. makes the wait worth it. I imagine that the 70-episode order will be spread out over several seasons.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Since 'Rick And Morty' is returning in a day or so, I figured I'd bring the thread back up with my overall thoughts on it as I have watched it (just never got around to bump this thread with those).

I was rather late to see it, only really bringing myself to it early on this year, watching the three seasons in batches of maybe 2-3 or so episodes each weekend across a few months (I think February-March to maybe April or so). I liked it, found it enjoyable and fun for the most part, having a lot of good ideas and executions of those, solid writing and the creativity and quirkiness to go along with that & decent voice acting; it does have some issues, like the supporting cast being pretty weak, I never liked the marriage crisis subplot (which also got too unpleasant) and other bits that fell flat or never clicked. I do have to say it's an overrated show in a sense; it's overblown calling it a masterpiece and one of the top 5 or so shows of all time (like a lot of folks say), but still, it's a good one and it's easy to see how it has so many loyal fans.

The show's strongest aspect definitely lies in the writing and the dialogue, often making things really funny even when these are not something that one would think be ha-ha funny, often managing to turn something that not normally would be anything special into something kinda hilarious in a sense. A big part of the show is dialogue-driven which I think that is a strength, especially with how weird and bizarre things can get with all these crazy, wacky sci-fi plots and characters having some random monologue or discussion or just reacting to something is pretty consistenly funny or at least amusing enough to elicit a chuckle or smile. The writing is often said to be rather clever and I'm inclined to agree that it is just that many times.

The show's weakest aspect is the tendency to fall down into those Family Guy-esque moments of gratuitous violence and gore, often for the sake of it and to be shocking and edgy. It's such a tired cliché of modern adult animated sitcoms and having characters getting their brains blown out, dismembered or shot to pieces and there's blood & body parts everywhere makes me roll my eyes; it's not funny or amusing, just lame and tiresome. I think that if they took that stuff out or toned it down considerably to something like an raunchier Matt Groening show it would be an improvement. The show doesn't need realistic bone-breaking violence and excessive gore. I feel that edginess gels poorly with how the rest of the show is written and presented; there is so much possibility with a show like this so waste it on lazy blood and gore shock humor?

I think one of my favorite episodes was the one where the universe kept getting duplicated/split up into pararell universes (the Season 2 premiere I think; the name escapes me. Maybe a safe choice but eh) & least favorite was the second interdimensional cable episode (just felt like a repeat and sort of like a filler episode with a dumb second plot that was pretty juvenile). I think Season 2 was the best and Season 3 was the weakest, though didn't really dislike the latter as much as most of the fanbase seem to do, however I did see a downgrade with more poorly written randomness and an upping of that extreme violence that adds nothing (though they seem to have eased down with some of the edgy stuff like the rape jokes, that were quite prevalent in the first season).

I look foward to the fourth season and to see what it has to offer. I hope it has improved it's writing from the third season and is more along the lines of the second, which improved the writing on many accounts from the first yet naturally continued the overall story.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    The show's weakest aspect is the tendency to fall down into those Family Guy-esque moments of gratuitous violence and gore, often for the sake of it and to be shocking and edgy. It's such a tired cliché of modern adult animated sitcoms and having characters getting their brains blown out, dismembered or shot to pieces and there's blood & body parts everywhere makes me roll my eyes; it's not funny or amusing, just lame and tiresome. I think that if they took that stuff out or toned it down considerably to something like an raunchier Matt Groening show it would be an improvement. The show doesn't need realistic bone-breaking violence and excessive gore. I feel that edginess gels poorly with how the rest of the show is written and presented; there is so much possibility with a show like this so waste it on lazy blood and gore shock humor?
    Because it, along with the sexual situations, are what's popular. There's a reason "Pickle Rick" won an Emmy.

And there's no denying the show's popularity, especially with college-age people; two words - Szechuan Sauce. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an episode on Sunday 11/1/2020 (two days before election day) that ends with Rick turning to the audience and saying, "Vote for {insert the Democratic candidate here} - seriously, get out and vote; it was sitting on your butts that got Trump elected four years ago," and I also wouldn't be surprised if it has a definite effect in the turnout.

'Pickle Rick' really didn't deserve an Emmy. I didn't really think it was a bad episode per se, but the writing wasn't very good. It was just such an random and nonsensical episode and it just got crazier and made less sense the longer it progressed (and yes, it did have quite a bit of gory shock humor). There were other S3 episodes more deserving to win, not this random mess.

As for the Szechuan sauce running gag, it was pretty funny in that episode (a good example of that random humor the show can do well), but then the hordes of crazy R&M fans took it to serious extremes with the whole madness for the sauce; it's ridiculous how much of a stampede for an old retired product this one gag created, not to mention the anger the lack of it spawned. Sigh.

'Pickle Rick' really didn't deserve an Emmy. I didn't really think it was a bad episode per se, but the writing wasn't very good. It was just such an random and nonsensical episode and it just got crazier and made less sense the longer it progressed (and yes, it did have quite a bit of gory shock humor). There were other S3 episodes more deserving to win, not this random mess.
    I absolutely agree with you about that. Topping all it off, Pickle Rick also won an Annie Award for Best Animated Television Production. But I don't see the greatness of it. It just that kind of TV episodes that impact strongly in pop culture and I have to recognize it has something special that makes people loves it, but it is one of the more flat episodes Rick & Morty has ever done so far. The Rickshank Rickdemption is infinitely bettet than Pickle Rick, and most of others of that season are better too.

Damn, Pickle Rick generates the same on me that some episodes from season 4 of The Simpsons (Duffless, for example). While people love it, I just see lots of memes and many attempts of jokes, but not a good writing or a good pacing. Neither a good episode.
    SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 2/5 / The Fat Blue Line: 4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5 / Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5 / Bobby, It's Cold Outside: 3/5 / Hail to the Teeth: 2/5

I'd also argue that 'The Ricklantis Mixup' would've been another better contender for either the Emmy or Annie award (or both) instead. Feels like 'Pickle Rick' was only chosen because of popular demand; theres is not much too it other than the whole super random meme-type flair it has. It sorta felt like they were baiting the fanbase with it (and also made fun of it at the same time).

And I'd never could've expected an likening between 'Pickle Rick' with 'Duffless' (I guess some time's gonna be the first time).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-09-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Interesting to see your thoughts on the show, @CousinMerl.

I really like Rick and Morty, personally. I watched it entirely half a year after season 3 ended I think, and I can't deny that it was a blast to watch. It was funny, gross yet clever, with really good characters and a good use of being mostly dialogue driven, and some episodes like Rick Potion #9 left me with my mouth wide open. It's an excellent show in my opinion.

But I understand your point and somehow I do agree that it is pretty overrated in some way. You have good points about a lot of people being overly crazy over some elements of the show, or some episodes themselves for that matter. Pickle Rick is an interesting one to me because I do think it's an excellent one, I think it's a very good blend of action-packed scenes and deepening of the family's chemistry, all around a really silly idea, but paradoxically, I also think it didn't deserved THAT much all the attention it got and I think a lot of people were a bit excessive regarding its quality. Sometimes I feel like a part of the fanbase doesn't do justice for all the show's qualities and almost makes him look like just a "meme show".

As for season 3 as a whole, I also think it's the weakest but I still enjoy it a lot and they still can be really clever with the writing on this season but yeah, it felt more inconsistent and like you said overly gruesome and gross just for the sake of it. I don't mind gross elements in this show (and I find the purge episode very entertaining) but season 3 looked like it was more gratuitous because, you know, it's an adult show, and I'm pretty tired with these adult cartoons that put as much violence as they can because it's for adults, while it's possible to make an interesting and enjoyable adult show without trying to shock everytime they can. But despite all of that, I still think it's a season with a lot of qualities.

My favorite episode, well it's a safe choice because it's the one that is the favorite of almost everyone, Total Rickall (closely followed by Rick Potion #9), but A Rickle in Time (the title you were looking for) is also one of my faves. As for my least favorite, I agree that it would be Interdimensional Cable 2, it wasn't nowhere near as interesting, clever and entertaining as Rixty Minutes in my opinion. Not a huge fan of the Vindicators episode either.

@Wile E. the Brain, yes, the episode I was looking for was 'A Rickle I Time' (it was sort of like a wacky Futurama-esque sci-fi plot). Thanks. 'Total Rickall' was another good one I was thinking about earlier. The abeformentioned 'Rickshank Redemption' and 'Ricklantis Mixup' also stood out as pretty solid ones.

And on the topic of the shock humor, no matter how much of that they throw at viewers I still think a lot of the much less violent (and even generally non-violent) stuff can be some of the funniest of the series just with the dialogue and the the absurdities without getting gory and edgy. I wish they'd do more of that instead of relying on shock tactics.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-19-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Blog Entries

season 1 was good but overrated. i always thought people spoke way too highly of the show even when it came out. season 2 had a couple good episodes overall, some of the best of the show, but upon retrospect wasn't great. and the 2nd half was when they really started escaping up their own ass and making just completely awful shit like cable 2 and purge. season 3 is about the same but amplified and it ended so bad it's embarrassing. the last couple eps are just soooooo bad. that finale really ruined the whole thing. season 4 is gonna suck hard

Junior Camper

Rick and Morty is overrated, but still I like it. I'd give the whole show a B-B+ average so far. Season 4 episode 1 was fun but if the rest sucks I'll stop watching.

No discussion of season four so far?

Think it's pretty good so far. Definitely feels like they were serious about making it a more streamlined version of the first season.

I realized I put off posting my thoughts on how I find Season 4 so far so here we go.

Overall, it's nice that the show returned and it's been a decent start, but in all honesty I'm torn on how the season is shaping up and I think something feels off. While I like the return to a style similar to season 1 & 2 and there's been some good premises I think they don't feel as striking, funny or as creative as the older episodes & most of the episodes feel really oddly random, overcrowded not to mention ridiculously convoluted and messy (take for instance that heist parody and snake planet episodes) & I've noticed an much higher reliance on cursing for the sake of it than before (so many bleeps in an single scene). Also, the degradation of Jerry is ridiculously contrived by now, with the show going out of it's way to deride and humilate the character as much as possible to a forced degree (I just don't find it funny. It would be one thing if he really deserved getting all this crap but he doesn't).

It's not become bad or anything and can still be pretty funny with the dialogue and all that, but I expected more as right now it's not really a big step-up from season 3 (or at all). Maybe it's just me, though.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.

I realized I put off posting my thoughts on how I find Season 4 so far so here we go.

Overall, it's nice that the show returned and it's been a decent start, but in all honesty I'm torn on how the season is shaping up and I think something feels off. While I like the return to a style similar to season 1 & 2 and there's been some good premises I think they don't feel as striking, funny or as creative as the older episodes & most of the episodes feel really oddly random, overcrowded not to mention ridiculously convoluted and messy (take for instance that heist parody and snake planet episodes) & I've noticed an much higher reliance on cursing for the sake of it than before (so many bleeps in an single scene). Also, the degradation of Jerry is ridiculously contrived by now, with the show going out of it's way to deride and humilate the character as much as possible to a forced degree (I just don't find it funny. It would be one thing if he really deserved getting all this crap but he doesn't).

It's not become bad or anything and can still be pretty funny with the dialogue and all that, but I expected more as right now it's not really a big step-up from season 3 (or at all). Maybe it's just me, though.
    Very interesting takes. I thought the season premiere was excellent and so was the last episode (despite it being convoluted like you said, but that's the reason they didn't do time travel episodes for a long time). The other three episodes ranged from decent to good, but right now, I wouldn't call it my favorite season. It still has potential to be because we're halfway through, but season two set the bar really high ("Get Schwifty" and "Interdimensional Cable 2" are the only weak episodes, but they still have things to like about them), so we'll have to wait and see.

This is just a theory, but I think that season four has been very reactionary so far. Season three was trying to be more serialized than the first two and incorporate some more drama, but I don't think it worked out because they had to scrap and replace so much of the material. The season finale was rushed and could have easily been a two-parter, but they had to make up for the production delays so we didn't even get 14 episodes like we were originally told. I don't know how season three would have looked if it came out on time (near the end of 2016) and with 14 episodes, but it probably wouldn't have polarized as many people as it did.

With season four, I definitely feel like they're going for a more streamlined version of season one like they said. Rick and Morty get into some crazy sci-fi adventure while the rest of the family does something a little more domestic, but just as crazy. It obviously can't be just like season one because of how the characters and their dynamics have changed, but I feel like the show is taking itself less seriously this season and having more fun, which it wasn't doing last season and that can only be a good thing the way I see it.

As for Jerry, I feel like his character is better written this season than last season. He feels more like the Jerry from season one. Last season, his character was just pathetic and that's really all there was to him. He was unemployed, depressed, the world treated him like crap, and he didn't have a life. Rick usurped his position as the dominant male in the household and then outlined all the reasons as to why Jerry was such an awful person ("The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy"). Him getting back together with Beth helped his character, and this season, I feel like a lot of his misfortune is his own fault. That's how it should be. If Jerry just calmed down and stayed out of things, he wouldn't run into any problems, but he's usually the cause of his failures. Like when he developed the app even though he clearly wasn't supposed to, or when he tried proving to Rick that he didn't need his help with the Christmas lights and almost died because of his arrogance. I feel like that's a way better take on his character than a wolf stealing his money just because or crying himself to sleep in a shitty apartment while looking at a picture of his family. You want to sympathize with Jerry to some extent, but you also want to remember that a lot of his struggles are his own fault, not because the world is just out to bully him.

I'm not one of those people that thinks that the show's best days are behind it or that we'll no longer see any classic episodes. The season still has five more episodes to get through, and who knows what will happen in them? One thing that I love about Rick and Morty is that unlike other adult animated shows, it's unpredictable. You never know what episode you might get. A lot of other shows begin settling into a groove after the first few seasons and recycle the exact same stories and jokes. Rick and Morty still feels fresh and creative, and I believe with the premise they have, it will take a long time for them to lose their edge unless something drastic happens (like Dan or Justin leaving). And with any luck, we won't have to wait two years to get a new season anymore because of the 70-episode deal, so I think the show has a really bright future ahead of it.

@Dr. Nihilistic, I certainly didn't expect such a long writeup response so I don't think I can reply to it all.

First off, don't get me wrong, I kinda like these more or less streamlined standalone adventures and the characterizations are mostly on point, but I wish they wouldn't make the plots needlessly convoluted at times. They have good ideas and premises but it feels like they pack almost too much into them for the sake of it and it eventually gets ridiculous in a sense & compared to say the second season I just don't think many of the plotlines are as strong as most of the episodes there. Also, many of these episodes I felt aren't as funny or as creative as they could have been and the randomly increased usage of the F-word doesn't add anything and feels forced.

And good points about Jerry. It's clear that he is portrayed better now than in Season 3 and his carelessness puts him into a lot of deservedly silly and dangerous situations and he can be an arrogant ass (those times he definitely deserves what came to him) so it's not an huge issue and more of a nitpick, but still, it sometimes does feel like the rest of the world has a thorn in the side for him and he can never make anyone happy (such as in the subplot where he became essentially weightless; the bar scene where him clearly explaining his dilemma and no matter what he did the people there kept hating him for no reason; that was just unfunny bashing of the character) & his family still doesn't really care about him and think pretty negatively of him, but again, it's still better than a lot of the stuff with him in season 3.

Having said all that, the new season is not bad at all and could have the best in store. For their issues, both the abeformentioned dragon and snake planet episodes were generally good and several of the other plotlines were good and had a lot of clever stuff (I must say that Rick's private bathroom plot was silly and nonsensical but worked for me; that was a nicely done convoluted plot) so the show still has it, but this season has yet to really wow me as I feel it lacks something and compared to the first couple of seasons it falls a little short (if that makes sense). I sort of wish they could be even more creative and take some chances with the show because it feels like they are holding back.

The season should have more episodes than ten and I wish there won't be another 1-2 year hiatus afterwards, but I'm guessing it will continue with that trend.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-05-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Blog Entries

going back to the season 1 formula so quickly after such a disaster of a season shows such cowardice and amateur writing from the staff i can't believe it. and obviously the new episodes aren't even close to season 1 quality, which itself was already hugely overrated. they took like 5 years to make garbage. sucks to be them. its just clear they aren't good writers. season 3 was pretty bad and they walked back its changes about as hard as the new star wars by the end, but at least they did something to try to stay engaging for like..the first half. it's funny rick and morty, a show where anythkng and everything should happen, has made itself succumb to status quo zombie stasis just 4 seasons in

@Dr. Nihilistic, I certainly didn't expect such a long writeup response so I don't think I can reply to it all.

First off, don't get me wrong, I kinda like these more or less streamlined standalone adventures and the characterizations are mostly on point, but I wish they wouldn't make the plots needlessly convoluted at times. They have good ideas and premises but it feels like they pack almost too much into them for the sake of it and it eventually gets ridiculous in a sense & compared to say the second season I just don't think many of the plotlines are as strong as most of the episodes there. Also, many of these episodes I felt aren't as funny or as creative as they could have been and the randomly increased usage of the F-word doesn't add anything and feels forced.

And good points about Jerry. It's clear that he is portrayed better now than in Season 3 and his carelessness puts him into a lot of deservedly silly and dangerous situations and he can be an arrogant ass (those times he definitely deserves what came to him) so it's not an huge issue and more of a nitpick, but still, it sometimes does feel like the rest of the world has a thorn in the side for him and he can never make anyone happy (such as in the subplot where he became essentially weightless; the bar scene where him clearly explaining his dilemma and no matter what he did the people there kept hating him for no reason; that was just unfunny bashing of the character) & his family still doesn't really care about him and think pretty negatively of him, but again, it's still better than a lot of the stuff with him in season 3.

Having said all that, the new season is not bad at all and could have the best in store. For their issues, both the abeformentioned dragon and snake planet episodes were generally good and several of the other plotlines were good and had a lot of clever stuff (I must say that Rick's private bathroom plot was silly and nonsensical but worked for me; that was a nicely done convoluted plot) so the show still has it, but this season has yet to really wow me as I feel it lacks something and compared to the first couple of seasons it falls a little short (if that makes sense). I sort of wish they could be even more creative and take some chances with the show because it feels like they are holding back.

The season should have more episodes than ten and I wish there won't be another 1-2 year hiatus afterwards, but I'm guessing it will continue with that trend.
    Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting to write so much.

I agree with you that it feels like they cram a lot into one episode. I know the writers have spoken on it before, but the show tends to over-extend itself and put several episodes' worth of material into the script. What one show would focus on for an entire plot, this show only focuses on for a few minutes. This can work out really well in the best episodes (like "The Ricks Must Be Crazy" or "The Ricklantis Mixup"), but is very noticeable in the worst episodes ("The Rickchurian Mortydate" could have easily been a two-parter).

I definitely think the whole crew is feeling the pressure now. Seasons one and two felt different because everybody was working in a more insulated environment. The show became more popular in season two, but you could see they had a lot of confidence in what they were doing and the episodes weren't as self-aware. Then the show became even more popular, way more popular than the average Adult Swim show, and there were many issues with season three. I don't want to say the show overachieved, but you can tell the people behind it had no idea it was going to get to this level and now, they're trying much harder than before to maintain consistency and keep the fans happy. I don't think it's possible for them to have the same confidence that they had in 2015 because every move the show makes is under a microscope now. That's why you have people already throwing in the towel and giving up on the show, worried about its future now that the writers have job security and the turnaround time between seasons will be quicker.

@Dr. Nihilistic, regarding the issues with Season 3, I remember reading about changes in the production crew (mainly the writer's room) and I was thinking that could explain things? Maybe it's too easy to pin the blame for the third season's odd shifts in tone, characterizations and more but it does leave me wondering.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-07-2020 at 12:59 AM.

@Dr. Nihilistic, regarding the issues with Season 3, I remember reading about changes in the production crew (mainly the writer's room) and I was thinking that could explain things? Maybe it's too easy to pin the blame for the third season's odd shifts in tone, characterizations and more but it does leave me wondering-
    As far as I know, the only changes in staff came from having female writers for the first time. I think they received a lot of unfair blame for season three turning out the way it did, even though every episode is written by committee like on The Simpsons and constantly edited at every stage.

From what I know, the reasons season three ended up the way it did have more to do with constant changes. Dan Harmon is a perfectionist and he was letting that get in the way of production. Just when it seemed like an episode was on its way to being finished, there was an issue with it and it had to be looked over again. It literally took them an entire calendar year to finish writing, and a lot of what we saw in season three were last-minute changes.

They were definitely trying to come back in 2016. I remember they started recording lines for "The Rickshank Rickdemption" in February, and at Comic-Con that year, they showed the animatic for "Pickle Rick" which made people think Rick would escape prison by turning into a pickle and killing the rats.

Junior Camper

I can't understand the citicism towards season 3. How can a show decline that early in its run? I think people are obsessed with over-analysing this show (the long gap between seasons doesn't help, as it just gives the fans more time to have their expectations grow to unreasonable heights)

I notice no difference in terms of tone or characters between seasons 2 and 3. If we go by IMDBs episode ratings (IMDB is subjective and not a clear indication of something's quality, but it's the best we've got of general public opinion) season 3 episodes were rated higher than 1 and 2. In fact, almost every episode of 'Rick & Morty' is rated higher than most Golden Era Simpsons episodes.

Any new season going forward will not be good enough for certain fans, (the ones who ascribe to the "it's new so it sucks" philosophy) it's just shocking that it's started as early as the third season. People are nostaligic for season 1 "classic" Rick and Morty, I'm sorry, but I can't get nostalgic for 2014, that was like yesterday to me. In seasons 7, 8 and 9 people will be lamenting the "golden era" of seasons 3 and 4. They need to get things into perspective.

I rewatched season 3 a while back, and while I somewhat agree the criticism is harsher than what the episodes appear to be, it still has a bit of weakness to it that I can't quite put my finger on. There's a lot of moments where the show doesn't quite reach its insanity peak in seasons 1 or 2 that feel like anything other than trying too hard. Pickle Rick was definitely not an Emmy contender despite its win, which if anything the nomination alone should have gone to The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy, which is my favorite episode of the season next to the Szechuan sauce episode. The season finale doesn't really achieve much other than a few funny lines, and most of season 3 is forgettable. Season 4 has so far been better than 3, but not amazing. I'll have to see what the next five episodes bring.

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Watts View Post
    I can't understand the citicism towards season 3. How can a show decline that early in its run? I think people are obsessed with over-analysing this show (the long gap between seasons doesn't help, as it just gives the fans more time to have their expectations grow to unreasonable heights)

I notice no difference in terms of tone or characters between seasons 2 and 3. If we go by IMDBs episode ratings (IMDB is subjective and not a clear indication of something's quality, but it's the best we've got of general public opinion) season 3 episodes were rated higher than 1 and 2. In fact, almost every episode of 'Rick & Morty' is rated higher than most Golden Era Simpsons episodes.

Any new season going forward will not be good enough for certain fans, (the ones who ascribe to the "it's new so it sucks" philosophy) it's just shocking that it's started as early as the third season. People are nostaligic for season 1 "classic" Rick and Morty, I'm sorry, but I can't get nostalgic for 2014, that was like yesterday to me. In seasons 7, 8 and 9 people will be lamenting the "golden era" of seasons 3 and 4. They need to get things into perspective.
    Season 3 was a big shift in tone, I still thought it to be enjoyable though. Season 1 will always remain my favourite as of now though.

Thread Information