Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: Rick and Morty

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Hired Goon

I just recently caught the first 2 episodes of this over at a friend's house, seems pretty solid. I really liked the episode with all the dogs becoming super-intelligent and taking over the planet. Definitely wanna check out more of this show somehow.

Also I noticed Rick says Morty's name like 5 times per sentence. Does that continue, or is it just early-installment weirdness? Not a complaint, just something funny I couldn't help noticing.

Blog Entries

it lessens, yea
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Late news, but Rick and Morty got a huge episode order back in May. As long as Dan and Justin doesn't do anything to delay the show's production further season after season like another Adult Swim show (Venture Bros) is infamous for.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ric...im-1202805945/
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

at least Venture Bros. makes the wait worth it. I imagine that the 70-episode order will be spread out over several seasons.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Since 'Rick And Morty' is returning in a day or so, I figured I'd bring the thread back up with my overall thoughts on it as I have watched it (just never got around to bump this thread with those).

I was rather late to see it, only really bringing myself to it early on this year, watching the three seasons in batches of maybe 2-3 or so episodes each weekend across a few months (I think February-March to maybe April or so). I liked it, found it enjoyable and fun for the most part, having a lot of good ideas and executions of those, solid writing and the creativity and quirkiness to go along with that & decent voice acting; it does have some issues, like the supporting cast being pretty weak, I never liked the marriage crisis subplot (which also got too unpleasant) and other bits that fell flat or never clicked. I do have to say it's an overrated show in a sense; it's overblown calling it a masterpiece and one of the top 5 or so shows of all time (like a lot of folks say), but still, it's a good one and it's easy to see how it has so many loyal fans.

The show's strongest aspect definitely lies in the writing and the dialogue, often making things really funny even when these are not something that one would think be ha-ha funny, often managing to turn something that not normally would be anything special into something kinda hilarious in a sense. A big part of the show is dialogue-driven which I think that is a strength, especially with how weird and bizarre things can get with all these crazy, wacky sci-fi plots and characters having some random monologue or discussion or just reacting to something is pretty consistenly funny or at least amusing enough to elicit a chuckle or smile. The writing is often said to be rather clever and I'm inclined to agree that it is just that many times.

The show's weakest aspect is the tendency to fall down into those Family Guy-esque moments of gratuitous violence and gore, often for the sake of it and to be shocking and edgy. It's such a tired cliché of modern adult animated sitcoms and having characters getting their brains blown out, dismembered or shot to pieces and there's blood & body parts everywhere makes me roll my eyes; it's not funny or amusing, just lame and tiresome. I think that if they took that stuff out or toned it down considerably to something like an raunchier Matt Groening show it would be an improvement. The show doesn't need realistic bone-breaking violence and excessive gore. I feel that edginess gels poorly with how the rest of the show is written and presented; there is so much possibility with a show like this so waste it on lazy blood and gore shock humor?

I think one of my favorite episodes was the one where the universe kept getting duplicated/split up into pararell universes (the Season 2 premiere I think; the name escapes me. Maybe a safe choice but eh) & least favorite was the second interdimensional cable episode (just felt like a repeat and sort of like a filler episode with a dumb second plot that was pretty juvenile). I think Season 2 was the best and Season 3 was the weakest, though didn't really dislike the latter as much as most of the fanbase seem to do, however I did see a downgrade with more poorly written randomness and an upping of that extreme violence that adds nothing (though they seem to have eased down with some of the edgy stuff like the rape jokes, that were quite prevalent in the first season).

I look foward to the fourth season and to see what it has to offer. I hope it has improved it's writing from the third season and is more along the lines of the second, which improved the writing on many accounts from the first yet naturally continued the overall story.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    The show's weakest aspect is the tendency to fall down into those Family Guy-esque moments of gratuitous violence and gore, often for the sake of it and to be shocking and edgy. It's such a tired cliché of modern adult animated sitcoms and having characters getting their brains blown out, dismembered or shot to pieces and there's blood & body parts everywhere makes me roll my eyes; it's not funny or amusing, just lame and tiresome. I think that if they took that stuff out or toned it down considerably to something like an raunchier Matt Groening show it would be an improvement. The show doesn't need realistic bone-breaking violence and excessive gore. I feel that edginess gels poorly with how the rest of the show is written and presented; there is so much possibility with a show like this so waste it on lazy blood and gore shock humor?
    Because it, along with the sexual situations, are what's popular. There's a reason "Pickle Rick" won an Emmy.

And there's no denying the show's popularity, especially with college-age people; two words - Szechuan Sauce. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an episode on Sunday 11/1/2020 (two days before election day) that ends with Rick turning to the audience and saying, "Vote for {insert the Democratic candidate here} - seriously, get out and vote; it was sitting on your butts that got Trump elected four years ago," and I also wouldn't be surprised if it has a definite effect in the turnout.

'Pickle Rick' really didn't deserve an Emmy. I didn't really think it was a bad episode per se, but the writing wasn't very good. It was just such an random and nonsensical episode and it just got crazier and made less sense the longer it progressed (and yes, it did have quite a bit of gory shock humor). There were other S3 episodes more deserving to win, not this random mess.

As for the Szechuan sauce running gag, it was pretty funny in that episode (a good example of that random humor the show can do well), but then the hordes of crazy R&M fans took it to serious extremes with the whole madness for the sauce; it's ridiculous how much of a stampede for an old retired product this one gag created, not to mention the anger the lack of it spawned. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    'Pickle Rick' really didn't deserve an Emmy. I didn't really think it was a bad episode per se, but the writing wasn't very good. It was just such an random and nonsensical episode and it just got crazier and made less sense the longer it progressed (and yes, it did have quite a bit of gory shock humor). There were other S3 episodes more deserving to win, not this random mess.
    I absolutely agree with you about that. Topping all it off, Pickle Rick also won an Annie Award for Best Animated Television Production. But I don't see the greatness of it. It just that kind of TV episodes that impact strongly in pop culture and I have to recognize it has something special that makes people loves it, but it is one of the more flat episodes Rick & Morty has ever done so far. The Rickshank Rickdemption is infinitely bettet than Pickle Rick, and most of others of that season are better too.

Damn, Pickle Rick generates the same on me that some episodes from season 4 of The Simpsons (Duffless, for example). While people love it, I just see lots of memes and many attempts of jokes, but not a good writing or a good pacing. Neither a good episode.
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: TBA / Hail of the Teeth: TBA

I'd also argue that 'The Ricklantis Mixup' would've been another better contender for either the Emmy or Annie award (or both) instead. Feels like 'Pickle Rick' was only chosen because of popular demand; theres is not much too it other than the whole super random meme-type flair it has. It sorta felt like they were baiting the fanbase with it (and also made fun of it at the same time).

And I'd never could've expected an likening between 'Pickle Rick' with 'Duffless' (I guess some time's gonna be the first time).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-09-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Interesting to see your thoughts on the show, @CousinMerl.

I really like Rick and Morty, personally. I watched it entirely half a year after season 3 ended I think, and I can't deny that it was a blast to watch. It was funny, gross yet clever, with really good characters and a good use of being mostly dialogue driven, and some episodes like Rick Potion #9 left me with my mouth wide open. It's an excellent show in my opinion.

But I understand your point and somehow I do agree that it is pretty overrated in some way. You have good points about a lot of people being overly crazy over some elements of the show, or some episodes themselves for that matter. Pickle Rick is an interesting one to me because I do think it's an excellent one, I think it's a very good blend of action-packed scenes and deepening of the family's chemistry, all around a really silly idea, but paradoxically, I also think it didn't deserved THAT much all the attention it got and I think a lot of people were a bit excessive regarding its quality. Sometimes I feel like a part of the fanbase doesn't do justice for all the show's qualities and almost makes him look like just a "meme show".

As for season 3 as a whole, I also think it's the weakest but I still enjoy it a lot and they still can be really clever with the writing on this season but yeah, it felt more inconsistent and like you said overly gruesome and gross just for the sake of it. I don't mind gross elements in this show (and I find the purge episode very entertaining) but season 3 looked like it was more gratuitous because, you know, it's an adult show, and I'm pretty tired with these adult cartoons that put as much violence as they can because it's for adults, while it's possible to make an interesting and enjoyable adult show without trying to shock everytime they can. But despite all of that, I still think it's a season with a lot of qualities.

My favorite episode, well it's a safe choice because it's the one that is the favorite of almost everyone, Total Rickall (closely followed by Rick Potion #9), but A Rickle in Time (the title you were looking for) is also one of my faves. As for my least favorite, I agree that it would be Interdimensional Cable 2, it wasn't nowhere near as interesting, clever and entertaining as Rixty Minutes in my opinion. Not a huge fan of the Vindicators episode either.

@Wile E. the Brain, yes, the episode I was looking for was 'A Rickle I Time' (it was sort of like a wacky Futurama-esque sci-fi plot). Thanks. 'Total Rickall' was another good one I was thinking about earlier. The abeformentioned 'Rickshank Redemption' and 'Ricklantis Mixup' also stood out as pretty solid ones.

And on the topic of the shock humor, no matter how much of that they throw at viewers I still think a lot of the much less violent (and even generally non-violent) stuff can be some of the funniest of the series just with the dialogue and the the absurdities without getting gory and edgy. I wish they'd do more of that instead of relying on shock tactics.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-19-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Blog Entries

season 1 was good but overrated. i always thought people spoke way too highly of the show even when it came out. season 2 had a couple good episodes overall, some of the best of the show, but upon retrospect wasn't great. and the 2nd half was when they really started escaping up their own ass and making just completely awful shit like cable 2 and purge. season 3 is about the same but amplified and it ended so bad it's embarrassing. the last couple eps are just soooooo bad. that finale really ruined the whole thing. season 4 is gonna suck hard

Junior Camper

Rick and Morty is overrated, but still I like it. I'd give the whole show a B-B+ average so far. Season 4 episode 1 was fun but if the rest sucks I'll stop watching.

No discussion of season four so far?

Think it's pretty good so far. Definitely feels like they were serious about making it a more streamlined version of the first season.

Thread Information