Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Rick and Morty

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Presumably the first scene of Season 5.

I don't have much to say about Season 4. The dragon and train eps are the worst episodes of the series, oceans 11/promytheus planet/acid/finale were really fun. Enjoyed it more than 3 overall, especially with the latter half of episodes. Feels weird seeing the show mostly backpedal from the direction 3 was going, even if it was probably for the best. Not particularly invested in where the show will go from here from a character/story standpoint. Just hope the next batch of eps are funnier.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Presumably the first scene of Season 5.

I don't have much to say about Season 4. The dragon and train eps are the worst episodes of the series, oceans 11/promytheus planet/acid/finale were really fun. Enjoyed it more than 3 overall, especially with the latter half of episodes. Feels weird seeing the show mostly backpedal from the direction 3 was going, even if it was probably for the best. Not particularly invested in where the show will go from here from a character/story standpoint. Just hope the next batch of eps are funnier.
    We totally agree that the dragon episode and train ones weren't good.
    Simpsons S32 ratings: - "Undercover Burns" - 2/5 - "I, Carumbus" - 4/5 - "Now Museum, Now You Don't" - 2/5 - "Treehouse 31" - 4/5

Bless the Harts S2 ratings: - "Violet's Secret" - 4/5 - "The Last Supper" - 3.5/5 - "My Best Frenda" - 4.5/5 - "Dead Mall" - 3.5/5

Bob's Burgers S11 ratings: - "Dream a Little Bob of Bob" - 3.5/5 - "Worms of In-Rear-ment" - 4/5 - "Copa-Bob-bana" - 4/5 - "Heartbreak Hotel-oween" - 4/5

Family Guy S19 ratings: - "Stewie's First Word" - 1/5 - "The Talented Mr. Stewie" - 3/5 - "Boys & Squirrels" - 1/5 - "Cutawayland" - 3/5

new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar

I've already stated my opinions on the episodes of season 4 in @Szyslak100's Rate & Review thread, but I'll just sum it up that I did enjoy and it had some solid and entertaining episode, but I would say I liked season 3 a little better by a small margin.

Like I've said, despite 3 being a mixed bag it had some quite good concepts and ideas executed well, while 4 felt more standard and uninspired (and some negatives were amped up, such as going overboard with using the F-word too often for the sake of having swearing & the Jerry bashing which most often isn't any fun but lame and forced). Still, the latter had a lot of good stuff (such as the story train episode, which I liked) and was a pretty good season overall with a nice finale.

As for that season 5 preview, it's pretty decent. The phone call bit which sways Morty was the best part, I'd say.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 07-28-2020 at 04:16 AM.

I loved everything about that animatic. It was classic Rick and Morty. Rick being sympathetic as he's dying, Jessica saying that cowardice is equal to selfishness, Morty being desperate to live, Rick having an over-the-top cartoon nemesis. I can't wait to see it fully colored and animated.

Also, not only is the writing done for season five, they've already started working on season six. That's great news considering how scattered the production of this show has been for years, so season five should definitely be ready for a release in 2021.

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've honestly wanted to watch this show for a while but the fanbase has turned me away. They seem like a total bunch pseudo-intellectual snarks who will defend the show to death and never accept that there are people who genuinely don't like it. They just say 'This show is great and if you think otherwise, you're simply too stupid to appreciate it'. Just an extremely toxic bunch of people.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    I've honestly wanted to watch this show for a while but the fanbase has turned me away. They seem like a total bunch pseudo-intellectual snarks who will defend the show to death and never accept that there are people who genuinely don't like it. They just say 'This show is great and if you think otherwise, you're simply too stupid to appreciate it'. Just an extremely toxic bunch of people.
    Just avoid the fanbase and enjoy the show and it will be cool. Unlike Bless the Harts this one starts out really good. Doesn’t take a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    Just avoid the fanbase and enjoy the show and it will be cool. Unlike Bless the Harts this one starts out really good. Doesn’t take a while.
    I'll give it a try soon I guess. At least this show seems creative. Bless The Harts is just a generic rehash of every animated sitcom ever. Bet that won't make it to season 4.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Ok, I just watched the first episode and I actually liked it a lot more than I expected. It was really fucking good. It was quite funny and the pacing and writing were fantastic. Great characters and character dynamics right off the bat. I'd probably give it an A-. Very, very solid.

Blog Entries

I just watched 'Lawnmower Dog'. Having not watched 'Inception' or 'The Lawnmower Man', some jokes and references may have gone over my head. That being said, I really enjoyed it. It was kinda whacky and fun and the storytelling was good. It seems like this show will probably rely a lot on mocking and parodying pop culture, which I guess is better than the Family Guy method of just mindless shoehorning it in. I enjoyed the satire of how people treat animals and the message of animal rights. It was a bit over the top, but what can you expect from a sci-fi sitcom? So yeah, I liked it on all levels, though it wasn't as good as the pilot for me, I know that's an unpopular opinion. B+.

Blog Entries

Watched 'Anatomy Park'. The main plot was unadulterated insanity, and the sub plot was incredibly and deliberately uncomfortable on multiple levels. I'm surprised they went where they did with it, especially with Summer's boyfriend. I think a lot of this show's more outlandish aspects make it more thrilling as a whole. I found the main plot and the sub plot so tonally different that it's surprising that they were part of the same episode. I really liked this one, it's probably my favorite so far. I feel my opinion might change somewhere down the line. As it stands, i'll give it an A.

Blog Entries

Watched "M. Night Shaym-Aliens!". It was a lot of fun. Plot twist after plot twist with lots of good humor and action in between. I don't have much to say outside of the fact that I enjoyed it. B+.

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Not gonna clutter the thread with a bunch of reviews, here are some one's I watched and my grades.

"Meeseeks and Destroy": B
    "Rick Potion #9": A+
    "Raising Gazorpazorp": A
    "Rixty Minutes": A+

This show seems to be hitting it's stride right off the bat, which makes me both excited for and concerned about episodes ahead.
    It doesn’t last long. Decline starts around the end of season 2.

Blog Entries

Just wrapped up season 1. What a show!

"Something Ricked This Way Comes": A-
    "Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind": A+
    "Ricksy Business": A+

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Blog Entries

Giving this show letter grades just seems too weird for some reason. I think I'll just kinda pop in with progress reports instead.

Blog Entries

Btw, wasn't it a weird choice to essentially renew this show for 7 straight seasons? That seems excessive and arrogant.

Btw, wasn't it a weird choice to essentially renew this show for 7 straight seasons? That seems excessive and arrogant.
    Nah, it's okay. Seven seasons mean seventy episodes in a show that literally have infinite stories to tell. And it's a show that is impossible to lose popularity in the long-and-medium-term. I can see this show reaching twenty seasons easily if things keep going relatively well.

Regarding your reviews, I was really enjoying reading them, just in case you have thought to keep writing them. If you want to, you can review three or four episodes in a post so you don't "spam" here. Just saying!
    SEASON 32 - RATINGS

Undercover Burns - 4/5 / I, Carumbus - 5/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXXI - 4/5 / The 7 Beer Itch - ?/5 / The Road to Cincinnati - ?/5

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Szyslak100 View Post
    Nah, it's okay. Seven seasons mean seventy episodes in a show that literally have infinite stories to tell. And it's a show that is impossible to lose popularity in the long-and-medium-term. I can see this show reaching twenty seasons easily if things keep going relatively well.

Regarding your reviews, I was really enjoying reading them, just in case you have thought to keep writing them. If you want to, you can review three or four episodes in a post so you don't "spam" here. Just saying!
    Nah I doubt R&M will last 20 seasons. Also, sorry for not checking my replies about earlier dude. I won't ask you again for a while. I enjoy reading your reviews of Rick and Morty and Duncanville.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

Thanks, maybe I will do that. I'm not gonna pretend I have all the answers on what would be considered good ratings for a basic cable comedy in this day and age. All I know is that season 4 was the least popular season, every season performed better than the last until that one, which performed worse than every season before. I can't imagine 5 will do much better. This show does have an extensive fan base with a lot of loyalty, so I don't really know.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

I think I'll post a season review that kinda touches on all episodes.

Blog Entries

Nah I doubt R&M will last 20 seasons. Also, sorry for not checking my replies about earlier dude. I won't ask you again for a while. I enjoy reading your reviews of Rick and Morty and Duncanville.
    It's already basically guaranteed to last 10. I guess we'll see if they're happy with their returns on that investment.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

It's already basically guaranteed to last 10. I guess we'll see if they're happy with their returns on that investment.
    I still think it will backfire on them. Seasons 3 and 4 aren't very good imo. They're alright. It's very inconsistent. Seasons 3-4 has some of the best in the series and some of the worst.

No problem, man. I know it wasn't with bad intentions. I also think it's improbable right now because the animated shows of the 2010s don't tend to be never-ending as 90s shows. I tried to say it's a show with the potential to reach 20 seasons taking into account how easy should be puck up ideas for an episode, how profitable the show must be, and how loyal, even obsessive, the fans of this show are.

Another discussion is if it's likable, or if they would be able the keep the quality. I particularly doubt the latest since the quality of season 4 was a big step-sown IMO even if they had two years to arise only ten episodes. That's the double of time for half of the episodes The Simpsons makes. The difference of quality should be impressive and I genuinely thought season 31 of The Simpsons was better than season 4 of Rick and Morty.

Blog Entries

Ugh I typed up an entire review. It was way longer than the one's I usually post. The page did some random thing where it told me I didn't have access, now I've lost everything.

Blog Entries

Second time typing this. I'm gonna review the one's I hadn't reviewed from season 1.

"Meeseeks and Destroy":

I don't think the grade I gave it does this one justice, I guess sometimes episodes can take a while to sink in. The sub plot with Mr. Meeseeks was stupid, but cleverly written. It starts off kinda light hearted, but it gets very dark, very fast. The paradox that the Meeseeks were trapped in was clever and it was interesting to see creatures so seemingly innocent go insane in such a manor. The main plot is similar, in that it starts off sorta light hearted but eventually gets pretty dark. I liked the concept of Morty choosing their adventure and I think it was written pretty well. Where this one gets dark is when the jelly bean tries to assault Morty, that honestly caught me a bit off guard and it was written in a surprisingly realistic and creepy way. I think there is value in being able to genuinely shock your viewers when there's legitimate substance behind it, so hats off to this episode. Very impressed with this one and it invoked the biggest reaction any of these episodes have gotten out of me thus far.

"Rick Potion #9":

This might be my favorite episode of the show so far. It really demonstrates how effective this show can be at picking apart and pointing out the follies of pop culture tropes. It's also just really entertaining, lots of action and the story moves along nicely. I do have some minor nitpicks. Rick says that the potion doesn't effect people related to Morty, but he doesn't explain why. Granted, you can't devote time to every minor detail, but if they bothered to acknowledge it, they should've at least explained it. Anyways, this episode is good fun.

"Raising Gazorpazorp":

Yeah, this was shit. I had problems giving these ones immediate letter grades, which is why episodes like this had good grades, I suppose. The plot with Rick and Summer just plods around an issue without providing satire in one way or the other, and the plot with Morty is just stupid, awkward, and poorly written. Not a big fan of this one.

"Rixty Minutes":

This one was really good. It took a take on the old marriage crisis episode trope and actually made it interesting. There's also a lot of fun improv comedy in the sub plot. It's just a pleasure to watch throughout.

"Something Ricked This Way Comes":

The thing about having a show that negates all rules of the universe is a double edged sword. On one hand, it makes the possibilities endless, on the other, it opens the door to stupid junk like this.This isn't terrible, just dumb. The main plot was a dud that used none of it's potential, but I actually liked Jerry's plot.

"Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind":

Great episode. I loved the dynamic between Doofus Rick and Jerry, and they did more to elaborate on Rick and Morty's relationship as well. The 'Rick's intelligence is cancelled out by Morty's lack there of' thing was kinda stupid, but it's made great by the writing and how the characters react to it, which seems to be a trend in this show. Very good episode.

"Ricksy Business":

This way bizarrely aimless, but I'm more forgiving to it considering the episode it leads into. I didn't enjoy the sub plot, thought it was bizarre. I guess I enjoyed the episode as a whole though.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

No problem, man. I know it wasn't with bad intentions. I also think it's improbable right now because the animated shows of the 2010s don't tend to be never-ending as 90s shows. I tried to say it's a show with the potential to reach 20 seasons taking into account how easy should be puck up ideas for an episode, how profitable the show must be, and how loyal, even obsessive, the fans of this show are.

Another discussion is if it's likable, or if they would be able the keep the quality. I particularly doubt the latest since the quality of season 4 was a big step-sown IMO even if they had two years to arise only ten episodes. That's the double of time for half of the episodes The Simpsons makes. The difference of quality should be impressive and I genuinely thought season 31 of The Simpsons was better than season 4 of Rick and Morty.
    Yeah I thought season 31 of the Simpsons was better too. It has like 9-10 episodes worth revisiting while Rick and Morty season 4 has maybe 3 or 4 worth revisiting.

new chainsaw & no hockey mask CousinMerl's Avatar

Now that you mention it, I really think it's surprising, maybe baffling, that the seasons are so inconsistent for only being 10 episodes (when that amount feels like it technically should make the show more consistent as there's way less stories to work with). I remember the old thread of if modern 'The Simpsons' would be better if they cut down the seasons by half to 10-13 episodes, but seeing the inconsistency of the latest 'Rick And Morty' season really makes me doubt even more that 'The Simpsons' would benefit from shrinking the seasons to half their length.

And yes, I too found season 31 of Our Favorite Family better than R&M season 4.

Blog Entries

"A Rickle in Time":

Probably the strongest episode yet. Really neat concept and there was clearly immense work put into the animation and storytelling. I really think this is the closest thing to perfection I've seen this show achieve yet. Amazing to watch on a visual and conceptual level.

"Mortynight Run":

This one was kinda good, but also kinda stupid. I liked the adventurous aspects of it, but the weird songs and the fart jokes were a little lame. No, fart jokes still aren't funny even if you're pretending to use them ironically. I enjoyed Jerry's part in this a little more, I guess. I guess seeing him find company in other versions of himself that share the same tendencies and quirks as him was pretty amusing. I guess this one's fairly solid.

"Auto Erotic Assimilation":

Not a big fan of this one. I think Rick is better as emotionally distant and depressed, but still a decent person. This just paints him as a toxic and bad influence on everybody around him. It just makes him a pathetic ass hole, and we already have Jerry for that. Another one where the sub plot is better and it sorta touches on Beth's ignorant forgiveness of all of Rick's flaws and paints her attitude as toxic, this puts Jerry in the right, which allows for a different dynamic then we usually see. I have mixed feelings on this one I guess.

"Total Rickall":

This one was great and the concept behind it was ingenious. Didn't really like the ending twist though.

"Get Schwifty":

This is one that sacrifices storytelling for mindless stupidity. I think the writers have had confusion all along as to what draws people to this show. It's not the wacky concepts and episodes, it's the great writing and the way they deliver those wacky concepts. Take the good writing away and you're left with a sloppily structured pile of nonsense. Pretty aimless and the song was annoying. Shit episode.

"The Ricks Must Be Crazy":

This one's awesome. The main plot uses a brilliant paradox and some amazing writing, while the sub plot relies mostly on the creepy vibes and Summer's anxiety. Really neat episode.

"Big Trouble in Little Sanchez":

I loved Jerry and Beth's plot and it was very cleverly written. The plot with Rick was just kind of stupid and weird. Meh.

"Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate":

Like the first one, I loved the improv comedy, but Jerry's plot was bizarre. It makes him the most annoying tool I've ever seen. He just acts like a complete weirdo. Really inferior to the original.

"Look Who's Purging Now":

Really fun episode and we get to see a different side to Morty that I hope they elaborate on in the future. Really fast paced and horror oriented and I enjoyed the purge parody. Morty killing the light house keeper was easily the most memorable scene of the entire show. Just a perfectly executed scene in a great episode.

"The Wedding Squanchers":

Amazing episode. The pacing is great and Rick's dilemma is written perfectly. Some really nice visuals as well. Great episode.

A fairly good second season. Maybe not as good as the first season, but still solid all around, even if it did have a few duds.

Blog Entries

I know this very unpopular, but I think s 31 of the simpsons is better than any Rick and Morty season I've seen. It doesn't reach the same heights, but Rick and Morty is the definition of hit and miss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    Now that you mention it, I really think it's surprising, maybe baffling, that the seasons are so inconsistent for only being 10 episodes (when that amount feels like it technically should make the show more consistent as there's way less stories to work with). I remember the old thread of if modern 'The Simpsons' would be better if they cut down the seasons by half to 10-13 episodes, but seeing the inconsistency of the latest 'Rick And Morty' season really makes me doubt even more that 'The Simpsons' would benefit from shrinking the seasons to half their length.

And yes, I too found season 31 of Our Favorite Family better than R&M season 4.
    Given that The Simpsons has the ability to make 10 or more great/good episodes a year, I think it would benefit them, look at this, if season 31 was whittled down to 10.

Treehouse of Horror XXX
    The Fat Blue Line
    Livin La Pura Vida
    Thanksgiving of Horror
    Bart the Bad Guy
    The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson
    Screenless
    Highway to Well
    The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds
    The Way of the Dog

Plus, these episodes probably would've been even better if they had more time to devote to them.
    Last edited by The Abominable Dr. Lenny; 09-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Thread Information