Thread: So is Homer Simpson considered the main character?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

So is Homer Simpson considered the main character?

I mean, I just noticed now that half of the Season 10 episodes involve him getting a new job.
    My Top 100 Simpsons episodes

My Simpsons season rankings (1-23):

6 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 3 > 4 > 10 > 9 > 2 > 12 > 1 > 11 > 16 > 15 > 13 > 17 > 14 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23 > 21 > 22

Simon Era - Reiss Era - Mirkin Era - Oakley Era - Scully Era - Jean Era

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

That's a bit over-exaggerated but hell yeah, it's been that way for the past 9 - 15 seasons. Now if an episode focuses on Bart, Lisa or Marge it's like WOAH! They're pretty rare.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe it’s just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

The Scully era is basically ''The Wacky Adventurers of Homer Simpson''. The majority of the episodes focus solely on him while the rest of the family became minor supporting characters that follows him around everywhere.

I'd say Bart was actually the main character in season 1, and the beginning of season 2. But afterwards Homer became pretty much the main character, and in exchange he got a personality revamp. Homer in season 1 was actually pretty smart and realistic, much closer to a real man. He still had some dumb moments. These days I call him a complete retard, he actually gets more stupid after every season.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: extra

Blog Entries

The fact that the movie was pretty much "Homer Simpson in: Dome Trouble" should answer that question fairly well.
    How to remaster

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty much. It started out with Bart being more focused, but then around Season 3 he became more of the center of the show, while still having the rest of the family having a lot of episodes surrounded around them as well. They definitely overused Homer in the Scully Era, but the Jean Era got better in how much of Homer should be used a Season.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

yes

his voice actor is credited first

Bart was at first but Homer took over
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

Santa's Little Helper Bart The Lover's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Poooor Bart........
    遠く、遠く、風で舞い上がる雲の上、
    ハヤブサは、空のようサイレント、一人で飛ぶ
    私は彼の孤独な叫びを聞く、
    彼は休むことができないことは、
    私は、空の曲がりくねった道に沿ってあなたと歩く
    私達は私達が愛するものから遠くだし、返すことはできませんことは、
    我々は再び見ることができないことは、私たちの出生国、

とき、私は今まで私の自宅を呼び出すための場所を見つけるのだろうか?
    悲しみは空に鷹のように旋回し、
    ときに私が今まで私の心を話す方法を見つけるだろう、
    知っている人には、一人に何ですか?

Season 1- Yeah I would say that Homer is the main character here

Season 2- Bart Mania is in, so Bart takes over as main character due to popularity

Season 3- Bart , with some Homer as the MC episodes

Season 4- Homer , with some Bart as the MC episodes

Season 5- Homer

Season 6- Bart

Season 7- Bart, with a few Homer MC episodes

Season 8- Homer, the last episode having Lisa as MC

Season 9- Mix of Bart, Homer and Lisa

Season 10- Homer with some Lisa

Season 11- Homer, some Marge

Season 12- Homer, some Lisa

Season 13- Homer

Season 14- Mixture of Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa

Season 15- Bart and Homer, little bits of Lisa

Season 16- Homer

Season 17- Nobody cares anymore and have gone to watch Family Guy.
    Favorite by season
    1.Krusty Gets Busted 2. Bart Gets An F 3. Lisa's Pony 4. Duffless 5. Homer's Barbershop Quartet 6. And Maggie Makes Three 7. The Curse Of The Flying Hellfish 8. Homer’s Enemy 9. Hurricane Neddy 10. Homer Simpson VS New York 11. Saddlesore Galactica 12. HOMR 13. Tales From the Public Domain.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Season 17 - A pretty nice balance of the entire family
    Season 18 - Homer with some Marge
    Season 19 - Homer
    Season 20 - Lisa... surprisingly

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, some people have always considered it that way. Other people think of Bart as the main charachter

Has all the answers Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 21 - Bart, with Homer close behind.
    Season 22 - Lisa
    Season 23 - A nice balance; Homer might stick out just a tiiiiiiiny bit.
    Season 24 - Good at featuring the whole family equally in most episodes.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Banned
    Blog Entries

I do a brief overview of the seasons.

Season 1-2: Pretty much Bart-centered but a lot of Homer and the rest of the family as well.

Season 3: Still a lot of Bart but a lot of the family as well.

Season 4: The show gets more Homer-centic here and Bartmania has pretty much ended so Bart arent the main-character anymore but still a lot of the family.

Season 5-9: Pretty much the same.

Season 10-12: Probably the most Homer-centric seasons of the show with Homer taking up 70% of the screen-time, some of the family but mainly Homer-centric.

Season 13: Homer-centric episodes decreases, the show starts too focus more on the family again.

Season 14-17: Pretty much the same. I know season 17 arent part of the early Jean-era but it was still good at featuring the whole family.

Season 18-19: Wacky Homer episodes starts too increase again.

Season 20: Descrease again.

21: Wacky Homer episodes starts too increase again.

Season 22: Descreaes again

Season 23-24: Wacky Homer episodes starts too increase again.

Basically Homer was the main-star under season 10-12 and under the Jean-era it has basically been a mix, sometimes you can feel the show is becoming more Homer-centric sometimes the whole family are still clearly the center.

I know writers have always said they like writing for Lisa because she's basically an extension of themselves, but yeah, I'm pretty surprised by how many plots and B-stories she's gotten lately (according to Wikipedia, since the only season 25 I've seen is THOH). It looks like the Simpsons family right now is basically Homer>Lisa>Bart>Marge>Grampa>Maggie in terms of plots.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Blog Entries

I think Groening once said that he intended for Bart to be the main character but during season 2 and 3, Homer began to gain more popularity with the adult fans and thus he began to take over. I do like that during the classic era, each family member would get an episode nearly every season where they got a chance to shine. It was still mostly focused on Bart and Homer but it was no where near as bad as it is today. Seasons 10 is very Homer centric and unfortunately was the season where Jerkass Homer became the character's default setting. As for the current seasons it's basically just episodes with Captain Wacky (A.K.A. Jerkass Homer), episodes with Bart acting like a young sociopath and episodes with Lisa acting like a stuck-up, two dimensional liberal (Plus, they've clearly forgotten that she's supposed to be 8). Oh and if we're lucky, we'll get a Marge episode where she does something un-Marge-like.

Blog Entries

I'm still waiting for another Lady Gaga centric episode. Lisa Goes Gaga is probably the best of series.

there is not a single problem with apu snowflakes

I would say the Simpsons family as a whole are the main character(s). Cheesy sounding, yes. But from Homer to Maggie, they are all household names.

But generally speaking in popularity and main story plot elements, yes, Homer technically is number 1.

Thread Information