Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Tim Long's Masterpiece

4 4.17%
  • 4/5 The Best Political Episode In The Last 19 Years

12 12.50%
  • 3/5 Best Episode of Season 25 so Far

36 37.50%
  • 2/5 Typical Modern, Lazily Written, Unfunny, Crap.

25 26.04%
  • 1/5 Welp, Tim Long Has Done It Again! (wah, wah)

19 19.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "The Kid Is All Right" (SABF02)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was awful. But what to expect, it's risky to have Lisa or politics in a new episode. And it's risky to have a new character and guest voice. Okay it's also risky to have a writer known for some of the worst episodes ever.

But yeah. Only thing I found remotely funny was the ending in future. Lots of jokes fell flat here. Mr. Burns and balloons, Chalmers' pronunciation, Milhouse's M&M, Lisa's dream... and so on.
    Plot was same old. Main character X gets a new friend, something happens do-do do-do do.

1/5. That ends the streak of non-terrible episodes for me.

Ya it was funny seeing that Mr. Bonestorm or wats his name dude again after 500000 seasons. Liberal episode, ey? Ugh. Well, it didn't turn out total diarrhea toilet shit as I excpected this to be which suprised me but it's still like any other modern episode.
    IT'S NOT TIM LONG'S BEST FUCKING EPISODE THOUGH WHAT THE HELL. Skinner's Sense of Snow is.

2/5 Not as bad as Homerlnd.
    Last edited by Monty; 11-25-2013 at 01:53 AM.

3/5, one of Tim Long's best episodes. However it's storyline, not humor, was as ridiculous as a Modern South Park storyline, this can be seen how politics are trying to bring actual politics into a 2nd Grade election and making a big deal out of it. That's sounds like something South Park would've done, just more offensive laughable jokes. Compared to other Tim Long episodes, half the jokes make sense, can give you a chuckle, and are not entirely out of place in so many ways. Love the Simpson references and even though the plot was just ridiculous, it was enjoyable and wasn't as rushed as most of Tim Long's episodes. It could still use improvement over it's plot and jokes, other than that, I liked this episode.

Season 25 so far...
    Homerland... 2/5 (Horrible)
    Treehouse of Horror XXIV... 4/5 (Great)
    Four Regrettings and a Funeral... 3/5 (Okay)
    YOLO... 3.5/5 (Okay)
    Labor Pains... 4/5(Great)
    The Kid is All Right... 3/5 (Okay)

Boring political episode with no subplot. I cannot understand how people think this is the best episode of season 25 so far, it is one of if not the worst of the season.
    When you point your finger at others, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you!

Banned
    Blog Entries

politically a good episode but overall not a good episode there wasn't a strong enough plot, glad to know they finally revealed Lisa's political affiliation, I really liked that republican character, I think they should do more conservative type episodes that's what they lack because their a liberal show and they always seem to make fun of conservatives which I don't like but all of the media is liberal so kind of have get use to it but I think they went easy on conservatives this time which is great glad America is finally wakening up.

"3/5 Best Episode of Season 25 so Far"
    >Implying all the previous episodes of this season are worth less than 3/5.

Resorting to unfunny poll options to mock the entire season? Has this forum really sunk this low? Grow up, seriously.

I applud this episode for finally introducing a Republican character who isn't a mere parody or an outright asshole. That alone makes it a 5/5 episode in my eyes.
    Last edited by ModernSimpsonsRocks; 11-25-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Junior Camper

Yet another unnecessary and boring opening sequence; couldn't they just do the can can one again?

Yet another episode preaching the virtues of liberalism.

Yet another one in which Lisa has no friends.

Yet another one in which Lisa has a rival.

Yet another one with that unfunny bombardment man. He. Is. Not. Funny.

Boring, hackneyed and not funny at all.* Time to put the show to sleep, permanently.

*I tell a lie. I nearly laughed, NEARLY, at Mr Burns and the balloons in the hospital.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    "3/5 Best Episode of Season 25 so Far"
    >Implying all the previous episodes of this season are worth less than 3/5.

Resorting to unfunny poll options to mock the entire season? Has this forum really sunk this low? Grow up, seriously.

I applud this episode for finally introducing a Republican character who isn't a mere parody or an outright asshole. That alone makes it a 5/5 episode in my eyes.
    Tim Long has spoken!
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

The one time I have agreed with ModernSimpsonsRocks. R&R's should be presented without commentary.
    UP AND ATOM!

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I found this episode to be pretty disappointing; a definite step-back from the previous couple of episodes. I did like the story concept of Lisa getting a new friend and then her feeling that their political beliefs gets in the way of their friendship but it wasn't pulled off well at all; their friendship and how it developed was rushed and especially the first half of the episode felt rushed as well with stuff constantly happening without any air inbetween (I'm starting to dislike how "high on sugar" fast some episodes come off as nowadays). There were a lot of more or less wacky and silly jokes in the episode and so many of them fell flat for me (and what the hell was up with the mean-spirited attempt at jokes like Homer strangling Bart unconscious and Burns forcing the lactose-intolerant Smithers to eat the huge ice cream sundae? Felt like the worst of the Scully era in here). ABout the only jokes I liked were Maggie making a Baby Gerald out of play-doh and smashing it with a mallet, Homer's brain telling him not to eat the M&M that's been in Milhouse's ear and then in the dog's mouth, Bart exclaiming "Ay Caramba!" when he hears what the phrase means, the 'Maggie's Tavern' scenes and Homer having an alternate version of Lisa's dream. Also, even though it wasn't hilarious, I found the Silly Symphony parody couch gag to be pretty fun, especially since I'm familiar with the source material.

The episode just didn't work the way it was presented even though the plotline was interesting and had potential; at least the first half of the episode sped by too fast which especially didn't help the presentation of Lisa and Isabel's friendship (it needed to show more of them actually being friends instead of pretty much just the "Hi, new girl! Can I be your friend?"-"Sure!" moment we got); Losing a fair bit of the "Tim Long wackiness" as well as the fast pace could have improved the episode and it could also have benefitted from not being so politically biased (at least the new character Isabel wasn't portrayed as a villain which was good, but her shrill voice was sort of annoying). I also found Marge revealing that she was a republican supporter back in the 80's to have come out of nowhere; here some foreshadowing in previous episodes could have helped to make this feel more natural. I don't want to comment on the liberal vs. conservative political stuff itself since I'm not a political person, but I feel that a politically-charged plotline like this could have been handled better (maybe a different writer could have done the trick? I dunno). All in all, it was a better episode than that piece of crap "Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing" but it wasn't good either.

A 2/5 feels about right.

Blog Entries

Well, atleast this episode isn't as bad as I expected, and not even close as bad as Political Inept With Homer, I guess its okay'ish at best.

The couch gag took to long and had basically no jokes, just to show what The Simpsons in Musicville would look like. The Mr Bergstrom cameo was pretty sweet, kinda suprised that Marge didn't yell his name out to Lisa. Overall the episodes had some pretty good jokes, and I spotted several throwbacks to older episodes. The huge jar from Blood Feud was seen in the addic, even trough it was originally in their basement. How can they even more that thing upstairs ? And in Willy's shack you could see signs from older episodes. There were a few gruesome moments, like Millhouses green M&M that Homer was tempted to eat, but Marge put it back in Millhouses ear...

Overall an okay episode, expected far worse. The new character was pretty good and atleast not an Allison Taylor clone from Lisa's Rival.

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

For me, this was a step-up from last weeks episode.
    I can't be bothered with a huge review so I'll just say what I liked.

The couch gag was good as always nowadays but it was so long and pretty much no jokes so I would have rather not had it.
    Act 1 was superb and the M&M gag had me in tears, literally. (First time in probably 2/3/4/5 seasons?)
    Mr Bergstroms cameo was ehhhh. It was nice to have him back but it could have been done SO much better. I would have liked Lisa to have kept seeing a shadow in the audience of her speeches and it kept recurring throughout the episode then at the end, she chases after him and she catches up to him and you see it's him and the episode ends with them two talking.

And as a few people have pointed out there were a lot of jokes to old episodes such as the head from Blood Feud in the attic, the bombardment gag and the Wacking Day sign in Willie's Shack.

Lisa's song started this episode off great as it was pretty ok and then she said "Ok I think they get the point" which was a dig at themselves and I always like those sort of gags (similar to last weeks Tapped Out gag)

Gags I smiled/laughed at: Ice-Cream wheelbarrow gag, "I associate this pain with Issabelle" and the final future gag with Homer.

Overall, I was dreading this episode but it turned out to be the best Lisa-oriented episodes since 500 Keys (Probably even further back than this episode but I can't deny 500 Keys was pretty good)
    The same as the past 4 weeks, pacing was great, characterization was pretty much on par but something is still missing from the formula.

And please why did Chalmers have to be in all the scenes with Skinner... They had pretty much no banter except for the Mirror/Alive gag which was pretty funny tbh but Skinner could have done these scenes solo.

Overall a pretty solid 4/5 and continuing the pattern of best HD Season and best (IMO) season since 16. Keep it up Simpson folk!
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot73 View Post
    Gags I smiled/laughed at: Ice-Cream wheelbarrow gag, "I associate this pain with Issabelle" and the final future gag with Homer.
    Everything was a reference of some kind in last night's episode.

The "ice cream sundae in a wheelbarrow that a little girl refuses" gag was a call-back to Lisa's Pony.

The "Smithers puts his own health in jeopardy by jeopardizing a medical condition to appease Mr. Burns" gag was a call-back to 22 Short Films About Springfield (in this case, lactose intolerance instead of an allergic reaction to bee stings).

BrokenBox

Nope
    Last edited by BrokenBox; 06-02-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Tyrant:rubs M Groening's feet D DEBBS's Avatar

Silly Simpsony was better than last night's ep: it reminded me of my friend, Joyce, who is a Republican...sometimes, I wonder WHY she's my friend 'cuz most of the time she acts a LOT like Eric Cartman!!!!

Commander Cuckoo Bananas Dr. Zaius's Avatar

Hi guys, I'm Matt I have been on the forum for a while, but I hardly post because I don't get time. I hope you all welcome me, because I love the show

I wasn't too hot on this episode. It was a mixed bag for me.
    - at the beginning, in the Silly Simpsonies gag, there was a moment where Milhouse looks at Lisa, blows into his blowhole and something like saliva spikes out where his nether regions would be - did anyone else notice this? Was this a little bit of a dirty joke on the part of The Simpsons?
    - the storyline was meh. I liked it, but it wasn't the best
    - why bring back Mr. Bergstrom in this way? His episode was so damn emotional, and this resurfacing for a one second gag wasn't worth it for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    Marge says, "Lisa, someone who loves you very much put butter on your veggies!" or something. We're left to assume that Marge is referring to herself. The "gag" is that it's not Marge but, ha ha ha, it's Mr. Bergstrom! Marge then says, "Thanks, Mr. Bergstrom. I'll tell Lisa you stopped by."
    Sure sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

BrokenBox

This episode is up 61 percent from last week. 6.65 viewers.

Zombies Rise from the Sea

The Kid Is All Right

Ah The Simpsons; you know them for their lack of continuity and their zany universe bending aspects... You also know them for telling stories and this right here is a story about a little girl who just happens to meet a similar girl who's republican. This one is written by Tim Long who has been known for a less than reputable run with episodes and well... the thing you want to know is if this episode is good or not. Well let's find out...

First off, it starts off with a trick by focusing on Lisa and how lonely she is; the archetype of her being a lonely person has been done to death so I did not like any of it. I mean think about it, Lisa used to have some friends in the past and she's part of a clique so this has to be contradictory right; unfortunately it seems like the obnoxious loner is the archetype for Lisa Simpson now. The trick continues when it introduces Isabel and her similarities to Lisa Simpson; I have to admit, she was an okay character. Not good, not unique (even though she was trying to be) but okay... I like that she had similarities to Lisa Simpson but again, that was only part of the trick and the trick continues by showing them talking, showing them together and just showing them until we get to the big reveal which isn't even surprising. It was evident that the episode would go into a political satire type of thing and while they try to make it different by having her be a non-observing Jew, it's still political satire and weak political satire at that.

Let me explain; everything is explained from the getgo from the debates to the issues to the scheming to the lows... It's like we're too dumb to understand what is going on and so they decide to go the safe route and explain everything to us; nothing takes risks and even the involvement of the Republican Party does nothing for the episode; it should be interesting to go into stuff such as over promotion and going along with it but the truth is, it isn't. We've seen this stuff before. Even Lisa Simpson is harmed here in that she's in full on Liberal mode here; every issue has to do with her winning and sprouting her political opinions everywhere, hell it's like a promotion for Democrats as a whole. What's worse is that they don't give a fair representation of Republicans; everything is fixated on fancy speeches that showcase America and how they're destroying stuff even though it's true, they don't focus on the few good stuff that Republicans do nor the bad stuff that some Democrats do which makes it very, very biased, which for the Simpsons is bad to the point where it even makes South Park looks good.

They do try to cute things up by including recurring themes such as spitballs and a imaginary bar that Maggie runs... While it may supposed to be cute, it ends up being a distraction just like in the last episode; I have to admit they are pretty fond of distractions, it's like they don't have any suitable material for such an episode so they decided to fill it with useless filler; fans who like this stuff will find it cute and I admit, this was a good idea but still, needless filler. The spitballs may represent attention and pain but I'm not sure that The Simpsons writers are smart enough to include such things; traditional sitcom themes also creep their way into The Simpsons in the form of Bart pretending to be Isabel and Bart and Homer recreating the Super Bowl Suffle while they recite 80's themes and they're just a sign of the times, that The Simpsons can't create good stories anymore so they resort to inserting sitcom elements to cover up those flaws; you can't eliminate one thing writers, we've seen this stuff before and we've seen it done better.

The jokes in this are also overly long and explanatory. It continues the "we're dumb and don't know anything" theme of the episode. Take for instance Mr. Burns' gags, we don't need to be explained that Smithers is lactose intolerant and we don't need to be explained about Burns' inability to handle simple things like balloons. We've seen this stuff and we know this stuff already, just get to the joke! This will be the same for Bart & Lisa, Mr. Chalmers, Rich Texan, etc., etc., etc. and it's a shame because overexplanation is killing jokes in The Simpsons; jokes shouldn't be funny because they're explained, they should be funny because it's funny, just think about the context of the joke and what people know; there are millions of basises that can be done from jokes to simple setup/punchline jokes to more abstract forms of humor and it's just a shame that The Simpsons is dumbing down humor for a future generation. I'll admit, there were okay jokes such as Krusty's talking to kids and maybe Lisa's dream but those are only far and few inbetween the fog of overexplanation.

So there you go; overexplained, too much political satire bullshit and not enough humor. This episode is another Tim Long wash where it's slightly planned out better and more cute but still comes out a wash anyway. I guess it's good if you need to kill time but as an episode of The Simpsons it's weak. For Modern Simpsons it's still weak but at least it's not standout weak; I guess there is no place for episodes like this which try to be clever and provocative but end up being as bad as a car that hasn't been watched which is a shame since this episode tried but oh well; better luck next time right?

3.0/10

Sigh! Another Tim Long episode! I'm hoping he goes back to writing funny episodes again, like "Skinner's Sense of Snow."

Though I did find Homer's "80s party," the Pigpen cameo, and Lisa Simpson's Mr. Burns impression funny, and I also enjoyed the parody of "Musicland" at the start.

Who did Maurice LaMarche voice in this one? I'm guessing he was one of the Democratics in Lisa's dream. (It seems he's been appearing in more episodes since the start of the Al Jean era, though he did supply Jay Sherman's huge belch and George C. Scott's "Aaargh, my GROIN!" in "A Star is Burns"; he is definitely talented.)

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot73 View Post
    The couch gag was good as always nowadays but it was so long and pretty much no jokes so I would have rather not had it.
    How was it "good as always" if you'd rather not have had it?

Won't get to see this one until later in the week, but (as suggested in the S25 information thread) has Ian Maxtone-Graham left the show completely?
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C- Woo-hoo Dunnit? ​B Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion ​C+

Blog Entries

What I liked:
    Mr. Bergstrom's appearance
    Lisa saying "Oh dear God" when she tried to figure out just what kind of Republican Isabel was
    Maggie's bar
    Marge trying to explain to Lisa that at the age of 8, your political views aren't exactly going to be set in stone.

What I disliked:
    Everything else. I mean, Jesus Christ, I actually sighed hard at the reveal of the Springfield Republican Party spying on Lisa and Isabel.

Oh, and while it was kinda cool seeing Hypnotoad in the background at the end, I have a major gripe. Why the fuck do they keep drawing him with that weird blue electrical pulse around his eyes? He doesn't fucking look like that on Futurama and it's not like they had to alter him for copyright reasons seeing as Matt Groening is the creator of both shows! So why do they do that?

Anyway, 1.5/5
    How to remaster

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was worse than the last two episodes and definitely mediocre but it wasn't very bad for Tim Long standards. It kinda reminded me of his episodes in season 16, when I thought he was getting slightly better, before he wrote the rag , Splintered thing or Gaga episodes.

This was somewhere in between "Gaga" (which is bad, but not "rag" bad and not boring like "Splintered") , She Used To Be My Girl and You Kent Always Say What You Want. Some themes were interesting and it could have been a different subject but they insist on playing the same notes and introducing exaggerated twists in the story. Also a lot of the gags, while not really that bad, are like Pilgrims/Zombies said 'distractions'.

I wasn't too fond on the couch gag although I like what they are trying to spoof. The character design and even the idea was cute but the animation is dull for what they are trying to imitate.

I actually liked Lisa singing "One" at the beginning, but mainly cause I love the song. Also cause the set up of the scene was nice, with Lisa passing through the swings without getting hurt.

But I agree that this whole thing about her not having any friends is getting tiresome and she's supposed to have at least a few friends.

I also think Isabel was a decent character and I like the idea of introducing a republican character who's not that bad or evil.

Probably they should have taken notes from Freaks and Geeks and what they did with the character of Cindy, as surprising as her change was it was done in a more interesting way than this.

The republicans spying the elementary school seemed like a stretch and kind of Scully-ish cop out, but I guess it can get a pass for satire, if only it were a little less one-sided.

I actually liked Mr. Burns and Smithers here for the most part. Yeah, most of their gags were pretty predictable and/or already done, but they were pretty in character and they didn't have any disgusting or lame scenes. Burns also kept his evil attitude during the whole episode. Since I live in Spain I enjoyed the Franco reference.

Not sure about the Mr. Bergstrom gag. I don't think it's too bad as a gag, but I think it's kind of unrespectful with the purpose of "Lisa's substitute" and Mr. Bergstrom's character. I know it's a comedy and fiction, but this joke is too meta for its own good. Lisa's substitute wasn't meta, it was realistic, and the idea was that she probably wouldn't see Mr. Bergstrom again. This time she doesn't see him again for a coincidence and that's funny...but it's also extremely silly, really stupid, if we think about how emotional their relationship were. Surely Marge and/or Mr. Bergstrom would have insisted on seeing Lisa. This is just another one of those meta references that I'm not sure if they help giving memories of the classic days or instead they just have the opposite effect, they kinda ruin the classic for us. Seeing how a lot of people actually liked it I think the writers are right, just showing something from the classic days makes the audience nostalgic.

Another gag that most people liked is Maggie as Moe. I kinda liked it as well, at least as Maggie is concerned...but am I the only one who all that stuff with the stuffed animals as potential Lisa/Bart lovers kind of weird/disturbing?

I didn't fully understand the dialogue in the future sequence but showing the Homer instrument from the couch gag sitting with the real Homer makes no sense at all as far as I'm concerned. I guess I'm ok if they introduce a wink to the couch gag in the episode but this was really contrived and it had no logic at all.

I guess it could get a low 3/5 cause it wasn't too boring and most of the gags were acceptable although a couple of them were a little weird. But the story had more potential and it could have been told much better.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwithmj View Post
    How was it "good as always" if you'd rather not have had it?
    It was unique, fantastically animated and just "cool" but it cuts down on episode time and it didn't even have many jokes so whilst it was a fantastic couch gag, I would have preferred a short. snappier one.

Like when you order a meal and somebody says "Hey, try mine"

It's nice, but I'd rather have my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    So the man who's about the most influential adult in Lisa's life besides her parents comes over to put butter on Lisa's food, and there's no intent for him to see Lisa anyway? He doesn't even say anything; there's just this awkward animation of him buttering Lisa's food. Just this vacant expression on his face. It's lifeless and rather off-putting. I know that Mr. Bergstrom was mentioned in S15, but I found that reference to be much more tasteful and tactful than what was included in tonight's ep.

It could have been, say, Grampa buttering the food. And his hand cramps up or something. Or maybe it could have been Selma doing it, and she blows a puff of cigarette smoke on the food, which turns the food grey and decrepit. I suppose it's good that, instead of going for the obvious, they picked the least likely candidate to do this menial chore. But, if they're going to do that obvious set-ups, I would have much rather had the writers include A) a secondary family member or B) a much more off-the-wall choice, like, I don't know, Gil. Someone with whom there isn't even a relationship with Lisa established, let alone someone who loves Lisa. In this rare case, I would have much preferred that the joke make less sense.
    That was the point of the joke. It wouldn't have worked with Selma or Grandpa, it needed to be someone actually very relevant for her to be dismissing unknowingly, especially in a day she was feeling so lonely. Bergstrom was basically her hero.
    And how the hell would that work with "Gil"?

Blog Entries

JUST CALL ME RALPH NADER, I DON'T KNOW WHY

...honest-to-god I can't see anybody genuinely laughing at that joke during the table read.

really awesome opening short, though. david silverman rocks at that sort of stuff.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Very bad episode. I chuckled a few times but most of those was just me trying to laugh. The dialouge was classic Late jean-era dialouge in that it needs too point out every joke/plot point. Im in two minds about the Bergstrom apparence. On the other hand it was nice too see him again, on the other hand he was only there for a few seconds so it felt a little like the Herb Powell scene in The Changing Of The Gaurdian. Lisa was not at her all-time worst but i still did not very much for her in this episode. Grade: D-

Dont know if it was fair to give this a 1/5 but whatever.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goty View Post
    That was the point of the joke. It wouldn't have worked with Selma or Grandpa, it needed to be someone actually very relevant for her to be dismissing unknowingly, especially in a day she was feeling so lonely. Bergstrom was basically her hero.
    And how the hell would that work with "Gil"?
    Yeah, I agree, That was the point of the joke. Still not sure if the joke is too random for such a relevant character but nevermind. I'm not going to make a drama out of it either cause they also showed Lurleen completely drug-aholic for a random gag in "Marge vs the Monorail" in the classic era.

We're out of time.

Don't have enough time to properly review this one.

Let's just say that conservative bashing always gets my full support, whether it's supposed to be funny or not. Eva did a pretty sweet job as Isabel (as good as Winona's Allison voiceover). She's a character I'd be interested in revisiting (which tends to happen with Tim Long characters).

This was a pretty decent and entertaining start to the SABF season. Well-animated (especially the opening intro) by Mark Kirkland, and well-written by Tim Long. Not quite on the level of Sideshow Bob Roberts, but still amusing.

Note 1: Caught a reference to Frank Marino during the debate scene. He was one of Futurama's top animation directors. He'd be a valuable addition to the directing roster on The Simpsons, if he ever decides to make the transition, like Lance Kramer (Crystal Chesney would be another).

Note 2: SABF production credits. As I predicted on the Season 25 thread, Ian Maxtone-Graham is very much gone, after writing non-stop for 16 seasons. What I didn't expect was Valentina Garza's sudden departure, after working steady for 6 seasons. Naturally, Don Payne's no longer credited, although he still has one episode left to air. No new writers joined, meaning the staff actually shrank (Fox must be thrilled with the budget cuts).

Another solid entry for the season - 4/5
    Last edited by jbauer; 11-26-2013 at 07:12 AM.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Thread Information