Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Peanuts 3D (2015)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ryonian death worm View Post
    still pretty bizarre to see FG characters in ad for a G-rated movie
    Yeah, though I suppose whether or not a child is allowed to watch Family Guy is irrelevant when it comes to them just recognizing the characters (Even if you're just a kid who has never seen the show, odds are you'll have seen someone wearing an FG t-shirt or spotted DVDs in a store or something). The fact that it's just a visual gag helps there since it's not like it expects the child to understand any of FG's humor.
    How to remaster

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

I agree as long as they keep the pop songs just in the trailers then I am fine otherwise missed opportunity with keeping it faithful and the film in general.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I was surprised in a good way tonight: I went to see Peanuts. This far exceeded my expectations (which is nice because they were pretty low). I don't really have too many negative points about the movie, as it's very faithful to the source material and the animation is a joy to look at.

The perpetually unlucky Charlie Brown falls on a hard winter. A new girl moves into town (the red-haired girl, of course), and ol' Chuck wants to impress her. Snoopy is by his side as the faithful aide and wingdog, though, and tries to give tips to help Charlie Brown gain some confidence and win the new girl over. Dancing leads to him tripping up his feet at the school dance, writing a book report all by himself leads to it being torn to shreds with Linus' toy plane and a huge misunderstanding leads to the whole school thinking he got the top score on a standardized test. Fortunately, even the blockhead can catch a break from time to time, even with the movie's occasional harsh treatment of the character - a true test of the source material.

In a 90-minute span, it's hard to flesh out the various characters from Peanuts. Surface references are used to help identify characters from one another, though it seems to be there to appease fans and feels like it's not meant for newcomers. For example, there's enough time to show Linus with his blanket or Schroeder with his piano, but not much is given to the side characters than that. Snoopy is the comedic and action-heavy draw in a series of Red Baron flight sequences, but they don't connect well to the main plot and feel obligatory. These don't get too over the top, since Snoopy isn't as crazy or in-your-face as the cartoon characters of today; the flights of fancy don't do much other than show off the nice visuals.

What does work is the easy-to-follow story, the generally slow pace of the movie (not meandering, but not too stuffed) and the nods to the comic strips that only fans of Schulz and the comic's history will get. For example, Charlie Brown's favorite comic book is Sparkplug; this is based on Schulz' nickname as a child, Sparky / Sparkplug, which is from a comic strip from the 1920's. His teacher is Miss Othmar, who Linus had a crush on in a series of strips from the 60's. Some lines are taken directly from A Charlie Brown Christmas or are well-known lines from the strip ("Dog germs! Get me some iodine!" Lucy yells at one point).

This is a far more down-to-earth children's film for the year, the reason for which is a close understanding of the original comics. This is no wonder, as two of the writing staff of the movie are Schulz's son and grandson. For those concerned about pop music, it isn't too daunting here. Meghan Trainor's song is cute and fits well in the scene it's in, and the "I Got Money" dubstep isn't featured in the movie proper. Peanuts suffers from a slow second act, with an odd few scenes featuring the whole gang idolizing Charlie Brown after the standardized test bit, but the movie sticks the landing with a heartwarming ending. I can wholeheartedly recommend this one.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i saw this today and i really liked it. i've never been super into the peanuts or anything but i thought it was impressive how well they were able to capture the spirit of the old stuff. i tended to tune out during red baron scenes and the visual gag saturation was a bit obnoxious at times, but charlie brown is still one of the most sympathetic characters ever written and i was genuinely moved at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

Watched it yesterday. I thought it was excellent!
    The animation style was really good. It didn't follow the typical Pixar copycat look, and it adapted the comic style well.
    The jokes were also great. Even old jokes like Charlie Brown's baseball struggles were done well. A few jokes were kind of lazy in that they were recycled.
    The plot was good. It was nice to see Charlie Brown get the girl.
    Overall, 9/10.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Blog Entries

yeah I liked this. definitely the most adorable film of the year. I thought the ending was both sweet and yet a little too on-the-nose (the little red-haired girl's speech felt more after-school special than the rest of the writing)... but that was really my only complaint. the peanuts characters are all here, well represented if not showcased as well, like for example, you only get a nod to lucy pining after schroder sitting at the piano instead of a full-blown scene... but that's fine because they work well as the supporting cast. you have the most important attributes such as linus' advice vs lucy's advice (and her fury at the kids idolizing charlie brown), and of course: snoopy!

oh man this movie makes a hard case about why snoopy is one of the greatest cartoon characters ever, he doesn't just steal the show: he downright owns it. and the writing smartly has these aspects constantly dovetailing into the main (tho intentionally thin plot), where snoopy playing around always is connected to charlie brown's plight. if he's not trying to help ol chuck win the affections of the little red-haired girl, he's being inspired by the story and penning his red baron story. (which really, really only works because it's snoopy and woodstock) I'm sure having the backlog of 50 years of strips and countless specials and movies helped, but it was really quite amazing how much mileage they got out of one character.

charlie brown's story doesn't really take a backseat in the humor department either. I really like that this isn't "cringe" comedy (that I was worried paul feig would take it to), but charlie brown legitimately doing what's right, like helping Sally out at the talent show and facing consistent adversity. he even fully admits about the standarized test the second he sees it. this is kind of why I was slightly rolling my eyes at the ending scene, because it was very "say the obvious" for a movie that for the past 80 minutes that was saying exactly that. I know the point is that... well charlie brown is talking to the little red-haired girl, but I dunno. it just made me think about how well pixar does in its visual storytelling versus this. it's not a gigantic, movie-ruining detriment, it's just a sign of how surprisingly well-done (especially for blue sky) the film was up to that very point. and it still gets its point across well, and is very uplifting.

aside from all the snoopy stuff, the book report sequence was by far my favorite. everything about that was pure charles schulz, from charlie worrying that being paired up with the girl will lead to him being tied up in escrow, to the "leo's toy store" joke and the pure hilarity of him reading the entirety of war and peace in one night, then first writing for his book report, "there was war, and then there was peace." that was all just perfect.

animation was neat without calling attention to itself, and there was only one instance where the bill melendez recordings didn't sound cleaned up significantly, so props to them.

but yea, good movie. awful trailer. had to sit thru "the road chip" trailer, so for that alone I recommend seeing this movie when it hits DVD. sorry, charlie brown.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

VOTE GHOST TYRANT 2020! D DEBBS's Avatar

Liked the film (I have been a Peanuts fan since elementary school age and drawn Snoopy for my classmates), but the Snoopy/WWI Flying Ace went on a bit too long for me. I was more interested in Charlie Brown's story than Snoopy's.

Don't know if any of you know this, but the Little Red-Haired Girl has a name: Heather. It was mentioned in one of the Charlie Brown TV cartoons, 'It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown.'

Also: I bought 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' Forever stamps off Amazon a few weeks ago for those of you who wish to holiday up your snail mail.

saw this yesterday with my family we loved it, my only question, I was not able to sit through the entire credits because my 7 year old Nephew got Antsy, was there a post credits scene and if so what was it??

Quote Originally Posted by ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ View Post
    saw this yesterday with my family we loved it, my only question, I was not able to sit through the entire credits because my 7 year old Nephew got Antsy, was there a post credits scene and if so what was it??
     The Red Baron model airplane is seen flying over a pond where it finally loses power and falls into the water 
    Did you know Charles Schulz hated the name "Peanuts?".. True! he felt it was stupid & had nothing to do with anything about his comic strip.. (and I agree) Charles was forced to adopt the dumb name for the strip because his publisher thought it was a cute name to describe children?.. Even up to his death, Charles Schulz told anyone who'd listen how much he disliked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblegod View Post
     The Red Baron model airplane is seen flying over a pond where it finally loses power and falls into the water 
    Did you know Charles Schulz hated the name "Peanuts?".. True! he felt it was stupid & had nothing to do with anything about his comic strip.. (and I agree) Charles was forced to adopt the dumb name for the strip because his publisher thought it was a cute name to describe children?.. Even up to his death, Charles Schulz told anyone who'd listen how much he disliked it.
    well it has kind of become a part of pop culture and my family love the Peanuts name and everything about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only post credits scene I saw was Lucy holding the Football and at the last minute taking out from under Charlie Browns feet !!!!!!!!! I guess when I either rent the movie on Xfinity or buy the Blu-Ray I will see the rest!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ View Post
    well it has kind of become a part of pop culture and my family love the Peanuts name and everything about it !!!!!
    Uh,.. just because CS disliked the name "Peanuts" doesnt mean you have to stop liking the art and characters?.. but I gotta side with ol' Sparky on this one.. There are about 12 major characters, and a slew of background kids.. And not a Single "Peanut" anywhere in sight! Nobodies named "Peanut".. Which one is more Peanut than the others?.. I always thought it was a bit odd but shoved it to the back of my head,.. when I finally heard how Schulz disliked this "word",.. that was thrust upon him be some goofball from the comics syndicate, I finally fully woke up to how out of place and unnatural the title is..

This is why the creator of Calvin & Hobbs retired early.. He couldnt stand waging war against the comic syndicate idiots on a daily bases anymore.. flatly refusing to let these three piece suit, three martini lunch business creeps force him to make changes to his art & do things he didn't want to do, like what they did to the greatest of the great, good ol' Sparky! (Schulz)

When I was pregnant every single person referred to my unborn baby as a Peanut, because they literally look like peanuts on ultrasound when just a few weeks old.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Saw the movie today. I really liked. It captured the spirit of the comic very well. Just two major complaints though: the first is that the movie seemed to be so scarred that it would lose the attention of the young children that it completely oversaturated itself with visual gags and slapstick. I mean my God, I honestly have to ask whether there was a single scene in the entire movie that didn't have sthat stuff? It's odd because the Peanuts cartoons are generally more relaxed than most other cartoons but this movie was among the most manic animated movies I have ever seen.

My other major complaint is the happy ending. Back when this movie was first announced among the first things I said about it is that it probably wouldn't have the guts to deliver one of the series trademark melancholic endings, and I was of course completely right.  

But even with all that said, this movie was a great joy to watch. In particular, it made me feel nostalgic to an almost painfull level. And not just because I grew up with these characters but also because of the genius way in which the film takes place in an undefined "back when we were kids" era that, according to the makers of the movie themselves, can be interpreted to be at any point during the strips original run, in other words anywhere from the 1950's to the 1990's. This makes the vast majority of the adult audience able to place the strip to whatever point in time they themselves happened to grow up. And as for me as a kid of the 90's, it really felt as if the kids I saw on screen could have been experiencing this story at exactly the same time that I was of their age. The rotary phones, the fact that you actually went to a library to search for information, ect. And like I said, the genius thing that the movie accomplished is that for all I know my dad might have felt the exact same way except placing it around the era of his childhood in the 1950's.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    When I was pregnant every single person referred to my unborn baby as a Peanut, because they literally look like peanuts on ultrasound when just a few weeks old.
    I wonder if Charles Schulz knew this? Most likely not. He has stated that when he started the strip, he didnt really know much about kids, and said "I'm not really sure I even like kids!",.. I just want to draw a comic strip about something? I read of him disliking the strips name, and as a guest on the briefly aired Whoopi Goldberg talk show he says it in more detail, as I watched this whole ep when it aired.

It was a great and reveling interview.. The man is so nervous & humble, unaffected by fame, you know exactly why him and Charlie Brown share the same insecure traits. What I found very interesting was when Whoopi put him on the spot, asking why The Peanuts only had "one" black character, and rarely seen at that? and with the huge world wide readership he had, he could've drawn more attention to Franklin to help disenfranchised black youths feel more a part of Peanuts mania. (something I had sometimes wondered about?).. Schulz replied he had no ethnic friends growing up and had no references to draw upon, and as he watched the turbulent civil rights clashes on TV in the 50's, 60's, Charles, being nervous, unsure and wishy-washy as his characters name sake, told Whoopie that he felt he didnt have the right to speak for a black child in that troubled era. not knowing what he could make him say or if he'd get criticized on it. I'm thinking he couldve just played it cool and gave Franklin some casual dialogue without stressing about it.. but the creator of the most popular comic strip on earth was not a powerful man obsessed with his greatness.. Till the day he died, He was shy, and withdrawn, so much like Charlie Brown despite all the wealth and acclaim that got thrust on him. Sure, with such a huge following, he could've had every bodies ear as much as he wanted, (Al Capp & Walt Kelly had no problem speaking their minds to any out stretched microphone) .. but this wasn't the kind of fellow ol' Sparky was.

Blog Entries

from what i remember shulz didn't give the strip the name "peanuts", he wanted to call it "li'l folks" but the syndicate refused based on supposed confusion with other strips at the time with similar names. the syndicate deemed the strip "peanuts" after the peanut gallery in howdy doody, which was the group of kids on the show. the name stuck and shulz was never happy with it, he thought the name had nothing to do with the content of the strip and was confusing; he attached the subtitle "featuring good ol' charlie brown" to the strip for many years because of this.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Blog Entries

@Smiling Politely and I watched this tonight. Easily one one of the cutest movies ever.

Also, felt compelled to revisit that site that lets you design yourself as a Peanuts character.

Blog Entries

never been a huge peanuts fan or anything but this was a pretty enjoyable movie. genuinely felt happy for Charlie brown at the end, after talking to the red haired girl

Thread Information