Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

@Swoony, yeah I did. Sadly it was because of garbage like this that was floating around for a while (Don't bother wasting your time watching it, the thumbnail/title should be more than enough).

People just didn't seem to wanna shut the fuck up with the complaining about the LGBTQ+ stuff in the show online and of course, Garnet and the whole concept of fusion in the first place being treated as the child friendly equivalent of on-screen lesbian sex kinda meant having some of that stuff spoiled long before I had the chance to check the show out.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Jailbreak was one of the first episodes ai watched so I knew the whole time. Hell, I saw gifsets of ruby and sapphire from that ep on tumblr and thats when I decided to check out the show.

People still deny shit saying "they're just friends" and also try and deny Pearl's feelings for rose...its pretty fucking ridiculous and funny when its so obvious how gay pearl is for rose and Ruby and Sapphire are for eachother. Garnet litterally is a loving lesbian relationship personified.

Ruby and Sapphire's relationship is adorable. Nobody would be batting an eye if Ruby was male, but becuse its too females its so scandalous!

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

I was shocked by the Garnet revelation, but it does explain her size. I did, however, know all about Peridot and the manner in which her plot progresses. No surprises there.

Pearl is definitely gay and that's totally fine. I think they're handling that character trait very well without putting a fine point on it. People politicize SU too much when it is, in fact, very natural.
    Last edited by Traviud; 12-28-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Blog Entries

You guys are aware with how Cartoon Network UK censors SU to shit because of the gay content, right? (Skip to 1:55 for a good example)

Shit's gross.

Yeesh. A couple years of Trump and Pence and we might be doing the same.
    Last edited by Traviud; 12-29-2016 at 03:37 AM.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Oh my God, Sworn to the Sword is amazing. What a heartbreaking work of art that is, chock full of important themes, character progression and endless depth. Do It For Her is probably the best song in the series so far too.

Pearl episodes, man. They break me every time. I've got tears over here. Every time I get a glimpse into the undying, possibly somewhat unhealthy devotion Pearl has for Rose, I want to know more about the day-to-day occurrences that added up to such a powerful bond.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    @Swoony, yeah I did. Sadly it was because of garbage like this that was floating around for a while (Don't bother wasting your time watching it, the thumbnail/title should be more than enough).
    Why did I watch that.

Comparing Rebecca Sugar's use of the concept of gender to the abuse that John Money did to David Reimer is really gross, even if it is a "joke". Also it's ignoring that Reimer was given gender reassignment surgery because that's the sign of a culture that can't handle the idea of a boy who doesn't have a penis (and it would also be a pretty fucking awkward conversation to have with your son about why he doesn't have a dick and his brother does - "Uhhh, well son, you see, a doctor took a cauterizing scalpel to your foreskin and burned your whole penis off").

Did Money have the belief that gender wasn't some innate thing and that you could mold a kid like a lump of clay? Yes. Do we still believe that about little kids? No. Including our ideas on gender!

I just find it really gross and upsetting that a tragedy that was foisted on a family and their two sons, that likely lead to those two sons choosing to end their own lives as adults (and that has been done in many other cases, including when boys were born with micropenises) is tacked on to a critique of Rebecca Sugar.

The "Pearl pissed off Garnet" arc was good. Though the episode as a whole was by no means the strongest of that run, I think my favorite moment was the unbridled love Ruby and Sapphire express for one another when they make up. "My little laffy sapphy"

I see all these people with Peridot avatars and I'm just not getting what the big deal is yet. I know she becomes a regular cast member soon (I'm on Sadie's Song), but her voice drives me insane and right now she's just a stand-in for any underling in a kid's cartoon that's a pest for the main cast but little else. Really looking forward to having her character develop more.

Blog Entries

all 5 episodes of the next steven bomb arc leaked, I'd suggest watching em to avoid spoilers for the next 4 weeks

they were good as fuck btw

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Oof no Tumblr for me this week then

The great and lovable Peridot is the best

Her arc is arguably nothing special, certainly nothing NEW brought to the table and was a bit obvious but her character really just makes it work. She's too humorous for me not to enjoy.

Unsurprisingly there is a very neat and spoiler filled analysis of it all by one of my favorite Tumblr bloggers/media analyzers on my favorite new nerdy fan site to push on peeps.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Peridot showed up big time in Gem Drill. I'm starting to warm up to her.

Bruhhhhh I've watched 53 episodes of SU since Christmas Eve I have no life during winter break

So this was you all break

Oh man, I fucking died during that part. I had to reform.

Pierre laid waste to the three-legged races!

It's all subtext, Steven.

SU is very good at trolling their hardcore fans.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, as I promised in Discord awhile back, it's time to start catching up. I might log my progress here or in the Last Show You Watched thread. It's going to be so weird, reviewing a show that is already frequently discussed here.

I think "Barn Mates" was the last one I watched.

The run of Hit the Diamond > Steven Floats > Drop Beat Dad has to be the goofiest in at least a season, but the jokes were hitting again and again. The humor on the show is so much sharper than it was early on.

1. Ruby! Ruby! Ruby! Ruby! Ruby! Ruby!

2. Bob.

3. It doesn't even taste good on chips!

4. Onion wordlessly enjoying Guacola has to be one of my favorite visual jokes of the series.

It looks like there's a long run of looser episodes coming, so I'll just enjoy that before we get back to dramatic gem mythos. I've heard great things about Mr. Greg, so I look forward to watching that one.

Blog Entries

Mr. Greg is brilliant and probably my fav episode of the series.

Also the five leaked episodes of the newest bomb were fucking fantastic, holy shit. Im probably not gonna r&r or post spoilers on here until they actual air but jesus that was a good run of episodes.

Mr. Greg was indeed a wonderful and very, very necessary episode. I'd been waiting for a Pearl/Greg episode for ages and the music was fantastic. It's Over, Isn't It was one of the best songs yet. If I have any complaint, it's that the episode was too ambitious to work properly in 11 minutes. It needed 22 solid minutes with more exploration of Empire City and a little more room for the drama to breathe. All told though, one of the best of the series.

Oh and then this happened:

The "leader of the crystal gems" running joke is the best.

Her Twitter is gold

https://twitter.com/peridot5xg

I do agree I wish Mr. Greg was a little longer. I know Rebecca Sugar has already said she is fine with the short format the show is in now but it does make some resolutions feel too quick.

I don't see any meaningful difference between Peridot and Kanye's twitter accounts.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Interesting, CN is saying the leak was intentional. This means Steven Bomb 5 is no longer being considered "spoilers" for places like the SU subreddit (it is really good I promise give it a chance if you like theories and observations).

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/1/5/1...rse-leaks-2017

That’s not the case, a representative for the cable channel told Polygon.

“This is actually something we’ve been doing for some time with a few of our shows through what we call the ‘See It First’ element of the [Cartoon Network] App,” they said.

“It helps us build awareness for upcoming episodes and for new show launches before they go on the linear platform. For example, we did this last September with our new series Mighty Magiswords, and in December, we sneaked Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs and My Knight and Me.”

Fans may have noticed that the Steven Universe episodes had the “See It First” designation when they appeared on the app. Yet while uploading the new episodes did create awareness, for many fans, it was only after Cartoon Network had taken them offline that they even knew the episodes were available to view.

That’s because Cartoon Network soon took down all but one of the episodes — “Steven’s Dream,” the first of the new episodes scheduled to air later this month — in the early hours of Jan. 3. That gave some viewers enough time to rip them from the app, then upload them to YouTube. Clips and screenshots began circulating all over social media and other venues, leaving spoilers abound to disappoint those who’d missed their chance to watch the episodes during their brief window of official availability.

After several fun, lighthearted episodes in a row, Monster Reunion and Alone at Sea were a brutal one-two sucker punch aimed right at Steven. This season has been largely dedicated to showing the limitations of his powers and good intentions, but these two episodes put a fine point on this theme.

Monster Buddies was already one of my favorite episodes of the show, so Monster Reunion was a real treat for me. As heartwarming as the concept was, Steven's inability to fully heal the centibeetle and their depiction of the gem war made for a haunting episode. Their transformation and Steven's inability to put a stop to it was deeply unsettling. I can only imagine what watching episodes like this as a young child must feel like.

Which brings me to Alone at Sea. This is the first episode explicitly discussing abusive relationships that I've seen on a children's show since Courage's The Mask and while I think that one was considerably more nuanced (it helps, as a writer, having an extra 11 minutes at your disposal), I think the character work being done by Rebecca Sugar is remarkable here. There was always something about Lapis that was a little off...for the world of Steven Universe, she always felt too one-dimensional to not be holding something back. I never would have guessed that peeling back that top layer would reveal a monstrous, sadistic element, but I buy it. I really do. I don't think that (extremely brief, on the nose but altogether necessary) exchange with Jasper was full of misleading information. Though we've been led to believe that Jasper is the kind of villain that would tear apart Lapis' character to manipulate her, and Lapis does have a tendency to tear herself down, the pieces do fit together. There's a great deal of rage in Lapis that came through as petulance in her interactions with Peridot. I feel like rewatching some Lapis episodes to see where her self-hatred surfaces.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Pretty tired of that video meme YouTube has going right now.

Trying hard to not watch the new SU's too early as I know there will be a massive drought as usual afterwards.

The only meme worth watching is the one about Pearl's rap career.

ROUND AND ROUND LET THE CITY TURN

Blog Entries

I watched I think two of those (or 3?) I've watched some other videos of hers too and they're all very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    11 minutes...? I might as well just watch the original.

The Hit the Diamond one is funny when Peridot faceplants at hyperspeed.

Blog Entries

Man, I dropped off for longer than I intended to with the show (Feels like way longer than Xmas Eve since I watched the last few episodes of Season 1).

Holy shit, Greg's worsening expressions as Steven told him what took place in the S1 finale were great. Love this guy so much. Ronaldo's speech about the burdens that come along with being at the center of all the weird shit was pretty good. I like how applicable it actually is to Steven's situation while at the same time sounding like some wannabe anime hero bit coming from someone as up their own ass and dorky as Ronaldo. "I don't want that for you" was such heartbreakingly cute little song. Seeing Steven take such a dark turn is really interesting albeit jarring. For such a happy-go-lucky little goofball to suddenly be willing to cut all ties with the rest of humanity to protect someone he cares about is heavy stuff. That "I don't want to be friends anymore" text fuckin' stung. Don't think I could have handled it if Steven somehow summed up the willpower to say it to Connie's face.

Amethyst bringing the best laughs with "I could be THE CROCODIIIIIIIILE! Jazz hands!" tho.

Goddamn, speaking of shit being heavy, Jenny shutting the music in the car off to be all "That's heavy" when Steven talked about what he's going through was one Hell of a moment. Also a fan of Sour Cream using glow sticks as a unit of measurement. Steven being able to pick Jenny up with ease kinda caught me off guard. I know he's a bit older than he appears and acts but it's really hard to not look at him, hear his voice and just think of him as a 10 year old rather than... he's like, 12 or 13, right? "You're ungrounded from TV" may be the most satisfying moment in a while.

"Come on, aren't you your own mom? You can do whatever you want!" was such a good line. I know the context is way different but I couldn't help being reminded of that classic Futurama bit "Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-my-own-grandpa!".

"Say Uncle" was... I mean, it's really stupid but really fun. I've seen enough Uncle Grandpa to understand it. I liked the assumption that "Uncle Grandpa" meant Greg was inbred. Also, that fuckin' beezooka bit might be one of my favorite things... no wait, the gems losing their shit over the head floating bit is. Pearl losing her shit is fucking fantastic. Also, that smooth, smooth, Kevin Michael Richardson voice for Gus explaining how Steven's ability to summon his shield works... Morgan Freeman levels of comforting exposition right there. Nice little shoutout to all the various CN shows of past and present at the end too. I might have to watch a little more UG at some point tbh. It's one of those shows that can grate after a while but in small doses it can be really funny.

Okay, I'm glad my knuckles don't crack quietly like Steven's because that'd be Hell. Live for that popping sound maaaaaaan. Loved Garnet being given the ol' "Sexy woman emerges from the water" treatment. That response to Jamie's letter though. Savage af. Felt bad for Jamie but seeing Garnet make a genuine effort to explain love to him and then add on that he was a good enough actor to play a very convincing lovesick fool was really nice.

Oh, and this is the best shot of Garnet.

and this is the fuckin' creepiest shot of Jamie.

"Do you understand that cartoon show?"/"I don't understand anything anymore". Heh, that was a nice, unexpectedly casual interaction between Greg and Pearl. Love Steven's knowing little "Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!" when he made his feet pun too. Amethyst's moody BS seemed a bit out of left field in this one. I get that her having to be introspective at the behest of Steven's quiz was enough to piss her off but this felt like an example of a story that could have benefited from being a bit longer than 11 minutes to really flesh out Amethyst's emotions.

Oh neat, new intro, and awwwwwww shit, Pearl's getting all choked up by Connie's passion for wanting to fight alongside Steven. That's totally her seeing herself and Rose in Connie and Steven, right? The song they sang at the beginning was nice too. That one fuckin' seagull screeching though. That little bastard was scary looking. "Do It For Her" is such an amazing musical number, visually I got some vibes I haven't felt since I watched Mulan for the first time and of course we get some more insight into the war from Pearl's perspective and just how much she was willing to put herself in harm's way for Rose. Steven looking all awkward and uncomfortable by the end of it was a nice little capper. Got a really hard laugh out of it cutting to Steven reading a book called "How To Talk To People" that was just two steps. The instant realization that unlike Pearl, if Connie's body gets destroyed, she can't come back was some heavy shit, even though it's obvious. Still not super used to a kid's show being so open with the topic of death tbh. I know SU is far from the first show of its kind to have the characters acknowledge the fact that something could kill them, but it for sure is one of the few that treats it 100% seriously even in the case of the gems that can reform themselves after sustaining too much damage. "You don't matter" was one of those lines that just cut deep for me. Seeing Steven and Connie team up was so, so, so satisfying and unfortunately it led to a brief moment of Pearl being a bitch but at least it was quickly bought back by her referring to Steven as Rose. It's a lot easier to sympathize with her at this point thankfully. "Sworn to the Sword" is for sure one of the best things this show has put out from what I've seen thus far.

I watched the "official" leaks. I said "holy fuck balls" a LOT during this Steven Bomb. Because holy fuck balls. Some moments are truly feeling like straight up anime to me in that something somewhat disturbing but really technically neat is happening and I don't know how to feel because I'm feeling all the feelings at once and holy fuck balls y'all this bomb gonna..

Blog Entries

Hey hey don't make me all hyped up

I can't contain iiit

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Some moments are truly feeling like straight up anime to me
    I felt the same way. The leaks represent the most dramatic and action-packed string of episodes in the show's entire run. The version I watched had all five episodes run together like a 54 minute movie with only title cards breaking them up, which is the first time the show has done that for such an extended period of time. Clearly, the writers are beginning to outgrow the 11 minute boundary because these long-form narratives are becoming more common all the time.

Oh yeah, so, I caught up. Haven't given any updates in a while, but I'm still enjoying the show greatly. Season 3 showed the list of characters grow and the narratives increase in scope and ambition, to occasionally inconsistent but often potent results. Season 3 is packed full of series classics, but there are some forgettable stretches too (The New Lars--->Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service) and you have characters like Garnet and Greg (two of the best) fall by the wayside to fit in Lapis and Peridot, which I'm not sure is an even trade at times. There is quite a bit of character growth in Amethyst, which is hugely appreciated, but Steven gets challenged the most. He gets the fucking shit kicked out of him physically and emotionally for much of the back half of the season, challenging his faith in mankind of gemkind alike. I really felt for the kid by the end of Bubbled. Despite my small complaints, it was an interesting and high quality season; IMO only the tiniest step back from season 2 in quality. Like, I don't need to talk about Bismuth, right? That shit was crazy.

However, I must admit that the first chunk of season 4 episodes left me a bit underwhelmed. Mindful Education, Last One Out of Beach City and Three Gems and a Baby were all excellent, but the rest were just OK. In fact, Kindergarten Kid was pretty bad. I wish they had spent 22 minutes on LOOOBC instead of Gem Harvest because I thought there was a lot more that could have been said with that one. As with Mr. Greg and Alone at Sea, I felt there was a masterpiece in there that wasn't given enough time to develop. Regardless, that episode is easily the standout of the season for me and shows impressive growth from Pearl that pays off in the leaked episode run.

Thread Information