Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Politics Thread: You Brexit, you pays for it.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

here's an interesting snippet of Michael Gove getting grilled, where he seems to believe that it's possible for all schools to be above average

Q98 Chair: One is: if "good" requires pupil performance to exceed the national average, and if all schools must be good, how is this mathematically possible?

Michael Gove: By getting better all the time.

Q99 Chair: So it is possible, is it?

Michael Gove: It is possible to get better all the time.

Q100 Chair: Were you better at literacy than numeracy, Secretary of State?

Michael Gove: I cannot remember.
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...i/uc178601.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Blog Entries

So, while we're talking about benefits and such, I saw an advert earlier for some piece of crap on Channel 5 tomorrow night called "On Benefits & Proud", which will probably be highlighting some set of low-life Jeremy Kyle show worthy scumbags and then implying that everyone who claims any form of benefit is the same as them.

Here's the trailer
    http://www.channel5.com/shows/on-ben.../clips/trailer

On one hand, fuck Channel 5, but on the other hand, fuck those people.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

that is scaremongering rhetoric at its best, bunch of opportunistic cunts

Blog Entries

UWOTM8? The definition of "average" would change if more schools were above it. Bad choice of wording.

Where is "On Benefits and Ashamed"? That would be closer to the truth for many people. I know it's stupid, but I feel judged when I buy even food in a shop and my JCP card flops out of my bag along with my purse. And especially beer, which I would drink less of if I didn't feel like I'd just done a working week down the dole and on its useless courses. If anything they have lowered my pride to the point where I feel entitled to get plastered at the weekend on taxpayers' money, and isn't that the attitude they're complaining about? Then there was the time one of their employees told me point blank that I could spend it on ANYTHING I want.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fog View Post
    Where is "On Benefits and Ashamed"?
    Well now, that just wouldn't be considered entertaining, would it? Gotta give the people stuff to get angry about rather than to empathise with, and even if they did have a show about a family who live on benefits, you'd just have people saying (And I've decided to write this in the way you would hear it from someone in my neck of the woods just for a laugh) "Aye, but I bet ye they've got some amount of money from being on TV, haven't they? Get away te fuck! Moanin' there ye owl cunt! We've next to fuck all too but sure we're not getting to be on the telly because of it."

Blog Entries

I just read that aloud in an Irish accent. What're you gonna do?

Blog Entries

And I just read "What're you gonna do" in Billy Connolly's voice for some reason. Probably because of the end of this clip.

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

a bit '6th former' in places but love brand

don't agree with him about voting

Blog Entries

He also wrote this and it is good: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-on-revolution

Blog Entries

"Why don't you change it, then?"
    Hahaha I would say that writing political columns for others to take onboad is more likely to change things than one vote. However, if he was not proactive in other ways I would be skeptical of the refusal to vote. I feel much the same, but I bother to persuade people that there are problems where I can.

Blog Entries

I think even if you think all options are bad, you should vote for the least bad. Voting makes you a voter and political parties try and cater to voters.
    Maybe a revolution WOULD be great etc. but why not make the current system marginally less bad?

Blog Entries

Russell Brand is a massive tosser...quite literally now due to his recent revelation of wanking off some guy in a pub toilet years ago.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_4146965.html

Blog Entries

I like him

Blog Entries

It's shit because of the misguided beliefs of the people who do vote, not because one or two don't have the motivation to choose this liar over that one. Russ using his popularity among young people to brainwash them himself is still worth more than voting, and I think it helps his point if he isn't seen to be "putting up with" any of the current options. Maybe he secretly does vote; it's not illegal to claim not to when really you do. Most people who say they agree with him 100% probably do vote but wouldn't want to discuss it. In a way, he has political power by publicly condemning everyone, meaning that if you don't like them (which is likely) you're more likely to like him. Sixth form Politics logic isn't all bad.

Blog Entries

for the record, i generally agree with him about a lot of this stuff. but i think we should be working to make the current system as not-terrible as possible while we wait/work for change.

Blog Entries

In my own profile as an entertainer I claim political neutrality (and poking fun at all groups equally, a la South Park), while still answering any questions with my honest to God? beliefs, e.g. pro-choice, in support of LGBT, agnostic. Wouldn't dream of letting another person speak for me, and I feel like that's what Russell would be doing if he came onstage wearing a big party support badge. Also his reputation as an entertainer would inevitably suffer, as people get way more het up about something as supposedly clear cut as your political leaning than they would about your personal opinion. Your character can be a screaming liberal on TV as long as you don't say the word, because everything ever is more relatable than haters want to accept. How does one publicly claim to vote (during a political discussion) and not answer the question of for whom?

Blog Entries

yeah but he doesn't have to declare his party support
    he could have just not said anything about voting
    if he mobilises a significant proportion of the left behind him and people don't vote, we gift the tories the next election

Blog Entries

I don't think anyone really copies someone who says they don't vote though. It's a small part of what he was saying. Also, I don't vote, and I won't vote unless one of the running parties actually puts the fear into me significantly compared to the rest. Given up hope on somebody actually promising us anything new, but last election I did a lot of reading (was too young to vote) and I continue to pay attention in case there's something that will make me vote next time. The people to really worry about are the ones who vote without reading around, as reading without voting is hardly a threat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muahahahammster View Post
    I like him
    For what it's worth, I do think the guy is genuinely smart and has some good points to make when it comes to this sort of thing, but the rest of the time (Primarily in his comedy) he just comes off as a complete asshole. And a largely unfunny one at that.

Blog Entries

I will have to agree that I've never been particularly enthralled with anything he's associated with, comedy included. It's basically politics and funky hair from where I'm standing.

Blog Entries

Just...there are no words

Innocent man burned to death by vigilante neighbours who mistook him for paedophile

Bijan Ebrahimi, 44, took pictures of youths vandalising his flower baskets
    A court heard he planned to give the images to police as evidence
    But a neighbour saw him with a camera and reported him as a paedophile
    Police arrested Mr Ebrahimi but let him go when they realised the mistake
    But two days after his release he was attacked by vigilante neighbours
    Lee James has pleaded guilty to murder after beating Mr Ebrahimi unconscious before dragging him into the street and setting him on fire
    Stephen Norley pleaded guilty to assisting an offender
    Both will be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court next month

An innocent man was kicked and beaten unconscious before being burned to death by vigilante neighbours who mistakenly believed he was a paedophile.
    Bijan Ebrahimi, 44, took a series of photographs of local youths attacking his hanging baskets and intended to hand the film to police as evidence.
    But someone saw him with the camera and told police that Mr Ebrahimi, who was registered disabled and couldn't work, had taken inappropriate pictures of children.
    Officers took him away for questioning and as Mr Ebrahimi was taken from his council flat in Brislington, Bristol, residents began chanting 'paedo, paedo'.
    He was quizzed at a police station but officers soon realised the mistake and Mr Ebrahimi was released from custody.
    But rumours had already begun circulating in the local community that he was a child abuser and he was murdered two days later.
    A court heard how Lee James, 24, beat him unconscious and then, with the help of friend Stephen Norley, also 24, dragged his body into the street and set him on fire.
    The pair will be sentenced for the brutal crime next month after entering guilty pleas at Bristol Crown Court.
    Speaking after the hearing, Avon and Somerset Police spokesman Martin Dunscombe said Mr Ebrahimi was an innocent man.
    He said: 'Mr Ebrahimi was arrested on suspicion of a public order offence - breach of the peace - and after being interviewed he was released with no further action taken.
    'We can categorically state he had not taken any indecent images and that nothing of concern had been found on his computer.'
    In a family statement his relatives said Bijan was a 'loving and caring man' who lived for his garden.
    They said: 'Bijan was a quiet, disabled man whose only joys in life came from his horticultural interests and his cat.
    'Bijan was a caring, loving and unselfish man. He was an excellent uncle and a warm, supportive brother.'

Neighbours described how Mr Ebrahimi had a passion for the flowers and plants he grew in front of his maisonette in Bristol and that he was 'always out there' tending to them.
    But after youngsters started destroying his beloved garden he began started taking pictures to hand over to the council, who owned his property, and the police.
    Rumours that Mr Ebrahimi was taking pictures of young children quickly circulated the neighbourhood leading to 'anger' and 'hostility' towards him.

Police then arrested him on July 12, two days before his death on July 14, after locals raised concerns about the photographs he was taking.
    Mr Ebrahimi was released without charge when police realised the error but Lee James, who pleaded guilty to murder, and Stephen Norley, who admitted to assisting an offender, decided to 'take the law into their own hands', the court heard.
    One resident, who wanted to remain anonymous, said: 'On the Thursday evening (before his death) everyone came out and they were calling him a paedophile.
    'There were about 20 people out there all having a say. They had him down as a 100 per cent paedophile.
    'When the police took him away everyone was cheering. Then he got released back into that.'
    Another resident added: 'Whoever started those rumours now has to live with that. He wasn't a paedophile and he's now dead.That's a hell of a thing to have on your conscience.'
    Both the Independent Police Complaints Commission and the local council have now both launched a review into the way the case was handled.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aedophile.html

Blog Entries

FFS society!

Related: The Daily Mail needs a proofreader. I rarely get through an article without finding some sort of headache-worthy error.

Blog Entries

Talk about a fuckin' knee-jerk reaction. I have more to say but honestly, I'm sure I'd just get infracted for being intolerant of mentally handicapped estate dwellers

Blog Entries

Feel like that is a story that sums up 'Daily Mail Britain' pretty excellently.

Blog Entries

I was bored, so I decided to do a quiz for shits 'n' giggles
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

This is the "Compass" used to represent your political affiliation

And here's what I got

Blog Entries

Will do that later.
    Also, the revolution is off: http://www.newstatesman.com/2013/10/...volution-there
    Robert Webb > Russell Brand

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes, Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Robert Webb is all kinds of awesome.

Blog Entries

Thread Information