View Poll Results: Can you smell this poll?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 It Smells of the Smellist Smell of the Smellist Smell That Smells *snifs* Smelly

8 30.77%
  • 4/5 Cool, I Can Smell This Episode In The Dark

14 53.85%
  • 3/5 Smells Like A Cheap French Harlet

3 11.54%
  • 2/5 This Episode Always Comes In Stinky

1 3.85%
  • 1/5 This Episode's Smell's Like Garbage, Human Garbage

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review Futurama: ''Stench and Stenchibility''

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review Futurama: ''Stench and Stenchibility''

Original Airdate: August 28th, 2013. A girl named Marianne (voiced by English actress Emilia Clarke) falls in love with Zoidberg as she cannot smell his foul odors, due to being born with no sense of smell. However, Zoidberg (being a doctor) could give her the opportunity to have her sense of smell repaired with a nose transplant, creating a dilemma that could end their relationship. Meanwhile, Bender faces off in a deadly tap-dancing competition. Rate and Review after it airs and stuff.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm giving this one a 4/5. Bender was very...harsh in this episode to say the least. Especially when he tapped dance on the childs corpse (even though it saved her life). Also I'm glad Zoidberg got a happy ending and it didn't revert back to the status quo at the end. They definitely knew it was the end. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Time for an early review thanks to a leak:

The episode was very good. It's another surprising in quality episode and I really was not disappointed by it, even if the endings were predictable for this. The main plot DOES parody the plot of the 1931 silent comedy "''City Lights''" by the late, but great Charlie Chaplin. The plot is essentially the same, Charlie Chaplin plays his popular tramp character. He's broke, he probably has a stench on him, but nobody seems to notice. When he meets a beautiful, blind flower shop girl, he wants to get the money she needs for her treatment. He manages to get enough money, pays for the treatment, and she finally meets the man who she pictured, but a complete opposite of what she dreamed. Such a beautiful movie.

But back to the episode, the sub-plot on Bender and the little girl in the tap dancing competition was pretty funny. It was rather dark watching Bender hate on a little girl, way more harsh than any character he has detested on in the past. I think it may be the harshness that takes away a point. I did make a mistake of giving the episode a 5/5, but the episode does come to a very close 4.6/5 for me. So the ending worked out great, Zoidberg actually had a focus episode that was better than the past attempts, and even the sub-plot was funny. Very well done, now I'm hyped for the final episode. 

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

Well the Zoidberg plot was great. It was so good and  I was happy Zoidberg got a nice ending, I really didn't see that coming. 
    But the Bender subplot I thought was just dumb and not interesting at all and it really brought the pacing down.

But still the main plot was very good and sweet so it still maintains a 4.

BrokenBox

Decent episode

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

This episode was pretty subdued; I guess that's what an episode in the final (as far as we can ascertain, for now) season should be. There isn't much fanfare or pizazz on this one, and that in itself is all right. It's all right, seeing as the episode itself is, in my opinion, just all right (if not slightly below standard for Futurama's standards).

The Bender subplot was relatively low-risk and uninteresting. Even with a few nice lines from good old Randy, there wasn't much keeping the tap-dancing storyline afloat. As soon as I saw Bender tapdancing on the little girl's body, I recoiled at first but then knew that it would bring the poor lass back to life. Not much here to write home about.

The more-publicized plot, about Zoidberg and his new love, played more like a sci-fi romance film than anything else, and that's something that Futurama has proven to be relatively good at. If we disregard the fact that Mary Ann had somehow never heard of a nose transplant until she was an adult, we can see a fun pairing for the lovestricken Zoidberg, even if the two don't seem to show any common interests. I especially liked the episode's ending.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this was actually a pretty good episode. Not the greatest episode you'd hope for a second to last episode, but a lot better than what I was led to believe.

The Bender plot, while a bit predictable, was pretty enjoyable to watch. While the plot itself was a bit uninspired, it did have some good scenes from Randy and the other tap dancers. Bender's competition/like of Tanya was pretty interesting to watch, though I did start to get uneasy with Bender dancing on Tanya's body. I mean, he is a robot with a dream of killing all humans, and it did save her life, but Jesus did it feel really mean spirited, even for Bender. Still, their ending together was nice, and it could've been a lot worse.

As for the Zoidberg love plot, it was really enjoyable and sweet. Zoidberg was characterized really well here and I felt pretty bad for him when his date left him and him deciding to give Emilia's character the nose job despite her possibly leaving him. While not as funny as the tap dancing plot, it was still a nice and sweet story to watch, and I especially loved how it kept Zoidberg's girlfriend in love with him at the very end, both a happy ending for Zoidberg and a good conclusion for the final Season.

Not an amazing episode, not a horrible episode, but still a good simple episode for Season 7, and a satisfying episode for the ending days of Futurama.

Overall: 8.5/10, or 4/5 for the poll. And now, I wait for the finale...

P.S. They never explained why Roberto's back from the dead. I already kind of expected this, but it's still really bothersome to me.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Hilarious! Just the right amount of comedy that I've come to expect from the ever-hilarious Zoidberg! Emilia Clarke is giving a really good performance, too.

I loved the scene with Randy making the remark about the roach-infected Gene Kelly, too.

ACT TWO:

Still consistently hilarious - I loved Professor Farnsworth calling Fry "Orange Joe."

I was a bit uneasy with Bender bullying a little girl at first, but it was saved by making her a jerk as well.

ACT THREE:

The ending to both plots felt a little cliched, but I still loved them anyway.

And how nice for Zoidberg to have a happy ending for once.

OVERALL:

Yeah, I really dug this one! Despite a few minor quibbles, this was a near perfect episode and would definitely be in my top 10 of all time! 5/5 (A+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

I didn't really care for this one too much. I don't know how to grade it though...should I be lenient because it's the second to last Futurama ever? Or should I be harsh because I expect more from an episode this close to the end. I think they should have switched this one with last weeks, or Game Of Tones, because this is a bit of a blemish in the last decent 4-5 episode run.

I just didn't find Zoidbergs relationship particularly interesting. It was presented in a mostly dull manner, and frankly I wanna see some cool future shit go down to end the series, not a subdued love story for a comic relief character. It had a few sweet, memorable moments, but Zoidbergs girlfriend was a pretty boring character. All in all it's not something I'm gonna be eager to revisit. Benders plot I'm somewhat mixed about too. It had some good sight gags, and actually some of my favorite bits in the episode were from this plot, like Bender shooting his gun to test out the pacemaker. Yeah, it's pretty harsh, but hey, Bender is an asshole, and, like Roger, I don't mind when he shows it. I also dug the sequence where he plots against the girl with increasingly horrible ideas, to Fry's indifference.

My problems with it were the plot itself was just too random. I just don't really care about watching Bender tapdance against a little girl for the finale of the story. The ending kinda made up for it though with Bender dancing on her corpse, in what is certainly one of the more extreme things he's done in the series. I also dug the scene with them dancing in the street as a mean to mug people. Now THAT'S the type of Bender scheming I like to see.

Anyway, I'll give this one a 3/5. Certainly watchable, but not especially memorable. I think Zoidbergs a great supporting character, but his episodes don't really do it for me. And as I said, I would have preferred this to air earlier in the season, as it felt too trite for the near-end of the show.

Two issues...Roberto was dead last time we saw him, no? And since when is Zoidberg in any way a competent doctor? His lack of knowledge about the human anatomy was a pretty big running gag in the show, so that felt kinda off.

Blog Entries

Yeah wow this was hilarious, almost every joke landed for me. Incredibly sweet A-story that pushes aside any cynicism or mean-spirit for a genuinely touching tale and gives Zoidberg a significant other without coping out for status-quo/comedic purposes, and does so in a pretty convincing way. Giving Zoidberg the dilemma of being able to restore Marianne her desired sense of smell at the risk of his own happiness presented a very real conflict and made me feel for him in the situation. They perhaps could have shown a greater depth of their relationship, but I understand the purpose was just to find someone for Zoidberg and present him the uneasy decision that could take that away from him, which was handled wonderfully. The b-plot? It made me laugh enough, cliche as it all felt (ridiculously adorable girl = evil, yadda yadda). pretty tired of Bender antics and the amount of time it swallowed was a bit obnoxious considering the potential to just play around a little more with Zoidberg/Marianne's relationship (even though they didn't actually need to, and it would just be more pleasant filler than the tap-dancing stuff). I'm certainly glad this one didn't underperform, and it was a delightfully subdued and pleasant change of pace, which would have been nice to see a bit more since the over-the-top stuff seems to have lost it's actual substance.

This was a great swan-song for Eric Horsted, and far better than Leela and the Genestalk

4/5

Blog Entries

that was pretty cute. fun city lights parody with zoidberg, and I really liked the twist of bender bonding with the evil little girl. the jokes were decent, not hilarious... but it doesn't matter, who didn't aww at the end there with zoidberg and mary anne?

4/5

btw anyone notice the opening credits gag? "not the episode with the dead dog"
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, Startug

The title gag was probably he funniest bit in the episode.

solid effort. definitely the best zoidberg episode ever. great to see him get a happy ending. 4/5

I'm gonna be pissed if next weeks episode isn't better than this one. I'm expecting 5/5 classic Futurama for the finale. Two mediocre episodes in a row will be a really shitty send off for the series.

Blog Entries

Ken Keeler rarely actually fails, so I'm very hopeful

Blog Entries

really good episode. i expected her to think zoidberg has a good "scent" but end up hating her nose job and dumping him, glad they didn't do go that predictable route and i thought the subplot was really good too. i mean, the little girl busted his freakin' leg, she deserved that shit and it revived her anyways. 5/5, because it was a breath of fresh air and unexpectedly good.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Best Zoidberg episode in a long while, and a great penultimate finale episode. I'm giving this one a 5/5 because I thought it had a lot of heart and great jokes, and in typical Futurama fashion the ending zigged when in any other show they would have zagged.

I hope Zoidberg's gf appears in the finale somehow. At least a non-speaking cameo.
    UP AND ATOM!

That was another very good one. Not quite up to the standard of "Game" or "Murder", but both plots were very enjoyable - I didn't actually have much of a problem with Bender tapdancing on the kid's corpse, as it did seem an appropriate combination of his hate for all humans with the fact that he deep down harbours some fondness for at least a few of them. The Zoidberg plot was great, and I was actually caught off-guard by the lack of the return to the status quo. In fact I thought the episode seemed to have a lot of understated heart that wasn't as in-your-face as "Fryrish" or "Bark" (I love both those episodes but this was a nice use of something different). As others have mentioned, it's pretty clear that they knew this was the last roll of the dice, and giving Zoidberg a happy ending was a fantastic way of acknowledging it.

Just "Meanwhile" to go... I hope they don't screw this up now, because if next week's is good I will remember Futurama much better than I thought I would at the start of this half-season. B+ for this one anyway
    Season 31 Ratings
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content C+ Go Big or Go Homer ​C- The Fat Blue Line ​C+ Treehouse of Horror XXX ​C- Gorillas on the Mast ​B

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

really enjoyed the main story and glad it had a happy ending, I was a little underwhelmed with the side plot, but I wasn't expecting much from it
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I actually like it when Bender is at his most evil. I mean, he's a robot, not a human. So why be upset when he is cruel? I was one of the few who really liked him in A Pharaoh To Remember.

I really liked the callback to Fun on a Bun with the professor calling fry "Orange Joe".

VOTE GHOST TYRANT 2020! D DEBBS's Avatar

It was okay-the Zoidberg/Bender storyl;ine didn't do anything for me.

Blog Entries

Man, this was great! Zoidberg gets a happy ending and that makes me happy (I was honestly scared they were going to cop-out and have them break up in that last scene). A lot of genuine hard laughs too. Bender's plot was way better than I was expecting. Something about him just being that much of a dick was amazingly good. I thought maybe she would die and Bender would be made feel bad or something...glad they decided to go with the much funnier dancing on her corpse bit. Leela's disgust with him and Fry's near-indifference was enjoyable too.

5/5. I'm really pumped for the finale now.

Oh, as for Roberto. Yeah, they didn't explain it, but I'd be willing to bet there was an explanation that was cut for time, and we'll most likely get to hear it on the DVD commentary. For now, let's just say that he was able to download into a new body via the same backup unit that Bender discovers he was built without in "Lethal Inspection".
    How to remaster

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

There's a term in wrestling, where, between two massive, important matches, they'll put in a meaningless short little one, to calm the crowd down, give them a chance to go to the bathroom, and prepare for the main event. I can't remember what that term is, but this is what this episode felt like.

It wasn't bad at all. It was a good idea to have this as the penultimate episode of the series, since the rest of the field is laden-d with serious, scary and emotional episodes, one that's just a bit silly was a nice break. I only laughed out loud once, at Cahill's "And yes, they're real" just because of how out of nowhere it was. I was all ready to hate Bender's plot, since I'm just about done with "Bender gets a new job/hobby" plots this season, but it was amusing. Tonya was a little too annoying for me, at times she felt like a fanfiction OC, but I enjoyed how it was resolved. I give it a low 4/5 for the sake of the poll.
    Current Season Rankings: 6 > 3 > 8 > 4 > 7 > 10 > 5 > 2 > 9 > 11 > 13 > 1 > 12 > 15 > 24 > 14 > 20 > 22 > 17 > 19 > 23 > 18 > 21 > 16

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral President View Post
    There's a term in wrestling, where, between two massive, important matches, they'll put in a meaningless short little one, to calm the crowd down, give them a chance to go to the bathroom, and prepare for the main event. I can't remember what that term is, but this is what this episode felt like.
    You mean the ones that aren't televised? Those are known as "Dark Matches".

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

This was pretty good. It was a fairly low-key showing but it's nicely timed given the rather out-there plots and concepts this season. While Zoidberg's girlfriend was a little one-dimensional, she had charm and fulfilled her role in the story well. It also gives more credence to the theory that Zoidberg is actually the most altruistic of the PE crew; he comes across as downright noble at times in this show, with his only real flaws being external (and the fact that he sucks as a doctor...which actually didn't come into play here).

On that note, I do think the episode took a few liberties with Zoidberg's character--he's not supposed to survive lovemaking, for instance, and he did seem somehow more charming and less self-pitying than usual--but it was nice seeing a slightly more romantic side of him nonetheless, and nicer to see him get a happy ending. The storyline didn't have a ton of laughs, but it made up for it in likability. Not unlike Zoidberg's girlfriend, actually. And the ending was clever.

The tap-dancing girl reminded me of Vicki Valentine in Last Tap Dance in Springfield, but I guess she and Tonya were both based on Shirley Temple, so that makes sense. Bender's subplot was mostly just kinda there, although it notably had some of the darker scenes in the show's history (even if it's pretty predictable that Bender tap-dancing on Tonya would resuscitate her). I'm not sure if Randy as a character really added anything, but it was fun to see other characters react to him ("Look, it's Randy!").

Pretty good, glad to see Futurama's hot streak hasn't subsided. 4/5 B

One episode to go! It's been a great run overall, and it might be hard to say goodbye. But I'm happy that the show got its second chance, and a much larger batch of episodes in its archive. Looking forward to next week!
    My Nintendo webcomic,

No, this match is usually just before the last match on the card. Dark matches are there to hype up the crowd, and these sort of do the opposite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I do think the episode took a few liberties with Zoidberg's character--he's not supposed to survive lovemaking
    Well, Fry and Leela had sex in The Professor and Zoidberg's bodies in "The Prisoner of Benda", so I think the deal is that he only dies if he mates with his own kind.

No, this match is usually just before the last match on the card. Dark matches are there to hype up the crowd, and these sort of do the opposite.
    Just took a look through the Glossary and didn't find anything referring to what you're describing.

....you sayin' I'm crazy?

STOP LAUGHING AT ME, FLYING ANACONDA.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    he's not supposed to survive lovemaking, for instance, and he did seem somehow more charming and less self-pitying than usual
    I think the shift from Zoidberg generally being less pitying/more human (for want of a better word) is something the writers have been trying to build towards in the Comedy Central eps because there's been a few episodes where he's been given a lot more dignity than I ever remember him getting in the original run ("Tip of the Zoidberg" and "Viva Mars Vegas" and to a lesser extent "Silence of the Clamps" and "Six Million Dollar Mon") - this episode was sort of the natural culmination of that.

The 'lovemaking is fatal' thing also came up in "The Prisoner of Benda" so I'd be happy to accept the explanation that it only applies to two of his species mating - I'm actually more bothered that Roberto was alive again without explanation after they recently went to so much trouble over Calculon's death/revival...

Blog Entries

....you sayin' I'm crazy?

STOP LAUGHING AT ME, FLYING ANACONDA.
    It's avacado you crazy bastard!

Thread Information