Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 727



Thread: gamers are shit



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #151
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    can you link me to this story from a reputable source?
    @Bort Simsin @Shaunbadia

  2. #152
    Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Road to Nowhere
    Posts
    1,639


    Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    can you link me to this story from a reputable source?
    The very unfortunate thing is that TFYC has barely been covered by major gaming news sites. A lot of it's due to the censorship over any mention of Quinn lately, but there's also the fact that it's been overshadowed by the whole story of Quinn getting harassed.

    Here's some info though:

    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events...lists-game-jam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6Q3VpqXyk
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...14/183/c06.png
    http://i.imgur.com/6SVLxB0.png
    http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/PeaceTreaty

  3. #153
    Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Road to Nowhere
    Posts
    1,639


    Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    can you link me to this story from a reputable source?
    The very unfortunate thing is that TFYC has barely been covered by major gaming news sites. A lot of it's due to the censorship over any mention of Quinn lately, but there's also the fact that it's been overshadowed by the whole story of Quinn getting harassed.

    Here's some info though:

    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events...lists-game-jam
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d6Q3VpqXyk
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...14/183/c06.png
    http://i.imgur.com/6SVLxB0.png
    http://www.thefineyoungcapitalists.com/PeaceTreaty


  4. #154
    Comic Book Me Shaunbadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    28,634
    Blog Entries
    1


    @Suomynona that was the thing that really left me with a bad taste in my mouth when I had heard it, though @hamm I had seen and heard little of it outside of a Reddit post from one of the people behind that Game Jam.
    How to remaster

  5. #155
    Comic Book Me Shaunbadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    28,634
    Blog Entries
    1


    @Suomynona that was the thing that really left me with a bad taste in my mouth when I had heard it, though @hamm I had seen and heard little of it outside of a Reddit post from one of the people behind that Game Jam.

  6. #156
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    so no

  7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: deadname

  8. #157
    NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hell Hole, Mexico
    Posts
    211
    Blog Entries
    2


    Oh and heres a good video about the Quinnspiracy:

  9. #158
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    geohell
    Posts
    20,038
    Blog Entries
    13


    ok I refuse to read anything more about this stupid scandal

    hopefully it will be all over by next month


  10. #159
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    censorship! scandal! conspiracy! videogames!

  11. #160
    NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hell Hole, Mexico
    Posts
    211
    Blog Entries
    2


    @hamm
    Im going to take a page from kotaku commenters and say:

    STRAWMAN

  12. #161
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    what
    they were all words said in this thread

  13. #162
    Comic Book Me Shaunbadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    28,634
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    ok I refuse to read anything more about this stupid scandal

    hopefully it will be all over by next month
    It feels like it's been going on forever in a much quieter manner and then just randomly surfaces out of nowhere once every few weeks or so to kick up some sort of stink before going back to being a dormant story again.


  14. #163
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    a non-gamer friend of mine asked about this zoe quinn harrassment stuff because I had retweeted stuff on twitter about it and I tried to explain it and he was just like "and you engage with these people?"


  15. #164
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,010
    Blog Entries
    4


    I'm not going to weigh in with an extensive post over all of this but I will say that the way that the majority has reacted toward the Zoe Quinn controversy is overkill. Most of the "evidence" is unfounded and unproven yet the overzealous, brainless mass that the media has labeled as "gamers" have gone on the offensive and made this about feminism and everything that it isn't. Listen, I'll say it - I'm a gamer, gasp, I guess that means I'm shit and a misogynistic neckbeard that's afraid of girls. No, it means I have a hobby and I see that hobby slowly evolving into something that's a satire of what it used to be. For me, it didn't take the Zoe Quinn scandal to make me realize that video game journalism is terrible and has been terrible for years. Plainly, I'm shocked that the alleged Zoe Quinn debacle is what made people say enough is enough. Apparently it wasn't enough when the companies making video games and selling video games treated the main demographic of their audience like idiots but Zoe Quinn was the tipping point. It makes me wonder if people honestly think that the Zoe Quinn stuff was the first instance of the video game industry turning to shit... we have so many better instances with concrete proof and not just unfounded claims that turn into a witchhunt and ruin people's lives.

    I just want to play video games. Both sides, the feminists and the "gamers" have made terrible asses of themselves and I associate with neither. I'm a video gamer that just wants to explore and grow further passion for their hobby.

  16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

  17. #165
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    dude, I play videogames
    nobody is criticising actually playing videogames

  18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: deadname

  19. #166
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,010
    Blog Entries
    4


    I know that, I should have been more clear. The issues just make me angry and sometimes words get lost in translation. The only thing I have a problem with in this whole thing is that the term "gamer" is being thrown under the bus. The people taking to twitter attacking feminists with death threats and verbally assaulting them may be "gamers" but they are not the majority of gamers.


  20. #167
    NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hell Hole, Mexico
    Posts
    211
    Blog Entries
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    nobody is criticising actually playing videogames
    The title of this thread makes it look like this is about how all gamers (pepole who have videogames as one of their hobbies) are sexist misogynistic shits, so it looks like its about how if you enjoy videogames you are an asshole when its about something else.

  21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

  22. #168
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    It is about how the term "gamer" has become embarrassing because these people have assumed it

  23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: deadname

  24. #169
    NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hell Hole, Mexico
    Posts
    211
    Blog Entries
    2


    IMHO both sides are full of shit and use the terms "gamer" and "feminist" as shields but none of them give an actual fuck about videogames.

  25. #170
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,010
    Blog Entries
    4


    The people cyber-assaulting feminists and people with opposing views on Twitter and Tumblr haven't assumed the term "gamer", they were labeled it. I've only seen the media and, in some cases, feminists label them "gamers" and some have even have gone so far as to call a death to the term "gamer". It's a crock and it isn't fair to misconstrue the entire culture of something because a minority of extremists are making an ass of themselves.

  26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

  27. #171
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    I disagree with your interpretation of the situation then

  28. #172
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    and anyway, don't be so precious
    they obviously don't mean all gamers. the games media are in fact *gasp* gamers.

  29. #173
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,010
    Blog Entries
    4



  30. #174
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    that doesn't contradict a thing I said

  31. #175
    d=(^_^)z kupomog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Mililani, HI
    Posts
    37,836


    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Good to finally get a woman's take on all of this.
    Seeing people not understand feminism or have a negative attitude about it because of "the internet" is highly frustrating. Seems petty, even juvenile. Especially when it's met with "guys deal with discrimination, too, how come they can't fight for rights too" type of questions. Not even remotely close in scale. Reading through this thread was kinda rough. There's always a group of people who make one thing look really, really bad. I will still call myself a gamer even with the shitstorm against women going on because that is what I am. I will still call myself feminist even when there are idiots out there (including women!!!) who still think feminism means "hate on men all the time" because of a few lousy extremists. Gotta be who I am and own it. That whole hashtag campaign about not needing feminism was painful to see unfold.

    I think Anita could form some better arguments in her vids or perhaps not totally twist something to fit her narrative in the case of some specific games, but disliking her content shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that she is a female. I really don't get the stupendous amount of hate she gets from BOTH men and women even if I don't care for her videos. You simply share one of her vids and you then become a target like Yaya Han on FB. Just like when Patricia Hernandez posts anything on Kotaku (her articles are hit or miss, sometimes are barely even articles, and she kinda fucked up with that Cards Against Humanity rape accusation thing), she gets instant shit vs. any other male writer. The males can get angry comments sure, but almost none of them have anything to do with their being male. Patricia is constantly railed on with sexist comments. Stephen Totilo would be that annoying jackass who won't shut up about Japan. Patricia is always that fat ugly stupid dyke cunt bitch who won't shut up about rape and feminism. I don't even barely follow the Zoe Quinn thing. Of course I don't think one should bang higher-ups to further their career because that is corruption, but there is no evidence of her actually doing that, just a bitter sounding ex-boyfriend and his blog post, sounds like he's mad that his ex-girlfriend started a relationship with a Kotaku editor who never wrote about her game and made that pretty clear. And if she cheated on her boyfriend or whatever, that sucks because cheaters are assholes, but it has nothing to do with her game stuff. But as far as the game jam and whatever, I really don't know much about it.

    Seems like being female talking about female issues in games is the worst thing you can be on the internet if you want to be sane by the end of the day. Don't even get me started on trying to identify as a girl gamer without getting shit on for it.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned


  32. #176
    Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,010
    Blog Entries
    4


    See, to me, the article portrays a death to the term "gamer". I guess if you see it differently, I can't do anything about that.

  33. #177
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    I didn't write a post that contradicts the existence of that article

  34. #178
    oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Partying in the burbs
    Posts
    13,489
    Blog Entries
    1


    I think the most important thing to take from this thread is that I can't put the mods on ignore
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

  35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

  36. #179
    Banned D'ohmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,923
    Blog Entries
    14


    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Especially when it's met with "guys deal with discrimination, too, how come they can't fight for rights too" type of questions. Not even remotely close in scale.
    First of all, it's a lot closer than you're making it out to be. Second of all, how does that make it wrong for men to fight for their rights as well.

    If you and Hamm are trying to be good examples of feminists, then you're failing miserably.

  37. #180
    NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Hell Hole, Mexico
    Posts
    211
    Blog Entries
    2


    Not Safe For Work

    well i give up with this shit so ill just say some words "sjws" usually say.

    WHITE CIS MALE SCUM DIE, IDIOT TROLL STRAWMAN, CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE, IM A "INSERT THING HERE"KIN AND THAT IS EXTREMELY OFFENCIVE SO I CALLED THE COPS, YOU OPPRESIVE PATRIARCH FUCK.
    dont bother replying, i give up with this thread and with this gaming "issue".



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •