Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NHC Music Showdown - Voting Thread (Final Results!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

A little too late, @Squeaky Voiced Teen for this round.

(Luckily, you voted for all the winners of the tie-breakers, so same results either way)

Voting has been completed, and the esteemed @Lionel Hutz has broken the ties for two of the matchups. Gotta say, almost all of the matchups were extremely closely fought, with only 1 or 2 votes separating them. Very tight races.

Round 1A Results

1. alexandre poulin - Une lumiere allumée (6) vs George Harrison - Save The World (8)
    -"Un lumiere allumée" was nominated by @Dobbie

Dobbie expressed privately that the French lyrics would turn everyone away from his pick, but it looks like a lot of us dug it. Very close match-up!

2. the bird and the bee - Love Letter To Japan (8) vs. The Winery Dogs - Elevate (7) (tie-breaker needed)
    -"Elevate" was nominated by @The Thompsons

This was definitely the battle of extremely different styles. It ended up being dead split between "cool pop" and "hard rock." The pop song eventually won the day, however.

3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty (8) vs. Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost (7) (tie-breaker needed)
    -"Neverlost" was nominated by @Homer The Stonecutter

To me, this seemed like a battle of "light" vs "heavy" alt rock (in terms of the tone of the songs). This battle also came all the way down to the wire, with Sloan narrowly edging out Smashing Pumpkins.

4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm (12) vs. Tune Yards - Riotriot (2)
    -"Riotriot" was nominated by @Kaos

Definitely the most one-sided of the battles... I'd probably equate it more to the TMBG track being a little more generic and populist than the more experimental Tune Yards track.

5. Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light (6) vs. Billie Holiday - Comes Love (8)
    -"The Last Remaining Light" was nominated by @Frightened Inmate No. 2

I thought this round was a bit of an upset. Not that Billie Holiday isn't great, but just because I figured the more "modern" song would appeal to the most people.

6. The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me (6) vs. Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round (8)
    -"Tryin' to Mess with Me" was nominated by @zach

Another battle of vastly different sounds. Like with a few other matchups, we tended to go with the lighter, airier track of the two options.

Blog Entries

I suppose I'll take my ukulele and drum machine music elsewhere

Blog Entries

Here are the match-ups for Round 1B. Will keep the numbering going, so as to not confuse the first round. I'm updating Post #1 as well with the results and the most current matchups.

Memory Cassette - Ghost in the Boombox
    vs.
    Beach Boys - California Saga: Big Sur

Paul Baribeau - Rolling Clouds
    vs.
    Polaris - She is Staggering

Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos
    vs.
    Dredg - Bug Eyes

Slade - Knocking Nails Into My House
    vs.
    The Radio Dept. - Every Time

Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Kraken
    vs.
    The Rubberbandits - Black Man

Divine Comedy - A Lady of a Certain Age
    vs.
    Apostrophe - Sad and Blue

Since voting went so quick last week (and I'm leaving for the weekend on Thursday night), we'll keep this poll open until Thursday, July 25th at noon. I'll tabulate the results, post 'em, and then get on the road!

Have fun!

Blog Entries

Man, there have been a few songs on this second list that I've just been dying to talk about. Listened to a few of these quite a few times after receiving the nominations, even emailing my dad a link to one of them (which he loved). Also, I really love how two of the more random and eclectic songs got matched up in Match-up #11. Will be interesting to see how that one shakes out.

Definitely gonna vote tomorrow night.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looks like I'll start the voting off. But by the way @Jims, I think you mean Thursday the 25th of July, because today is the 20th.

7. Beach Boys - California Saga: Big Slur
    8. Polaris - She is Staggering
    9. Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos
    10. Slade - Knocking Nails Into My House
    11. Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Kraken
    12. Divine Comedy - A Lady of a Certain Age

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N Wilbury View Post
    Looks like I'll start the voting off. But by the way @Jims, I think you mean Thursday the 25th of July, because today is the 20th.
    Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed it.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Shoot, I missed the first round. I'll give my thoughts on this one.

7. Ghost in the Boombox vs. California Saga: Big Sur

I really dug the first song. Kind of reminded me of M83, with some good female vocals. Enjoyable listen. But the Beach Boys song does put up a good fight. But I may as well say this here, it's as good as anywhere...

I've never been that big of a Beach Boys fan.

I mean, they're good. But I could never really get into that many of their songs. They were just catchy pop songs to me, nothing more. But I do like this a fair bit. It's a nice change from their usual upbeat, poppy tone. But I have to give the edge to the first song. It made me feel like I was being taken on some kind of journey to a utopian world. I'd say that makes it a really good song.

Edge: Ghost in the Boombox

8. Rolling Clouds vs. She is Staggering

I find the simplicity of "Rolling Clouds" charming. It's just a guy with his acoustic guitar and his voice, and that's all it really needs. The subject matter is sweet too. It gives me the perspective of a little kid and his first crush, which I think was the intention.

That said, I find the second song a little more interesting musically. There seems to be more variety in the rhythm, and I enjoy the buildup that comes around the 2-minute mark, using the beat they had in previous parts of the song, but adding intensity in his voice as well.

Edge: She is Staggering

9. Galapogos vs. Bug Eyes

I'd put The Smashing Pumpkins in my Top 10 bands of all time. The variety they have with their music is just astounding, and they pull off both slow and intense songs with aplomb. This is probably one their slowest songs I've heard, outmatched by only "Thirty-Three" and "Rhinoceros", the former of which is one of the only Pumpkins songs I'm not as fond of, because even their slow songs have a certain edge to their music, and that one just didn't. This one does, though. I absolutely love the increased intensity at the end.

While I like the second song, it just doesn't compare in my opinion. It's interesting enough to stand out, but it fits more into a mold of popular rock music to me. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it does give a feeling of "been there, done that". I do like the vocals, but Smashing Pumpkins has gotta win this.

Edge: Galapogos

10. Knocking Nails Into My House vs. Every Time

Two very different songs. I think I have to give the edge to the first. While the second had a nice feel to it, it just wasn't interesting enough to me to hold up. "Knocking Nails Into My House" had a very different feel to it, but it grabbed my attention and never let go.

Edge: Knocking Nails Into My House

11. The Kraken vs. Black Man

"The Kraken" was a pretty weird arrangement for me, but not so much so that it turned me off. In fact, I rather liked it. "Black Man", while I enjoyed the beat, was too goofy of a song without being funny. Didn't do much for me at all.

Edge: The Kraken

A Lady of a Certain Age vs. Sad and Blue

I'm giving this one to "Sad and Blue". While the first song had stellar lyrics, its melody just did not appeal to me. Too slow and dull. "Sad and Blue" reminded me of an upbeat Beatles song with Lennon on vocals. Really enjoyable listen.

Edge: Sad and Blue
    Last edited by Prune Tracy; 07-21-2013 at 04:39 AM.

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a bit of an ordeal due to terrible Wi-Fi but I made it through. Probably a stronger set of songs than the other half of the draw?

7. Memory Cassette - Ghost in the Boombox
    I adored this one. Beach Boys song was also great but left me in a bit cold in comparison. No brainer for me in the end.
    They were both about the same standard to me. Wasn't overly keen on either. Plumped with this once but may change my mind if I get a chance to listen to both again.
    Didn't like either especially
    Saw "Slade" and thought "pfft... Really?!" but I really liked this song a lot. Strong match up though.
    No brainer. Really liked this. Thought the other one was a little unremarkable.
    Liked both songs here too.

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

7. Beach Boys - California Saga: Big Sur

8.Paul Baribeau - Rolling Clouds

9.Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos

10.The Radio Dept. - Every Time

11.Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Kraken (both were garbage)

12. Apostrophe - Sad and Blue

7. Ghost In The Boom Box vs. California Saga: Big Sur
    I really liked the ethereal, retro feel of the first song. I also like how they layered the different instruments (especially the slide guitar) over the simple groove of the rhythm section. Again the vocals had that Debbie Harry like vibe that @Jims mentioned in the first round. Big Sur is not your typical Beach Boys song as it has a more country feel. I think this is a result of a band "in the wilderness" at around this time and sort of lost in musical direction. Truth be told Mike Love is my least favorite Beach Boy as well.

8. Rolling Clouds vs. She is Staggering
    Rolling Clouds has a very simple approach with the acoustic guitar and has some fun lyrics reminiscent of the Dave Matthews Band and the Barenaked Ladies, good song. She Is Staggering is a hard one to grasp, the vocals reminded me of Lou Reed but some of the odd time signatures stand out like a sore thumb.

9. Galapagos vs. Bug Eyes
    Galapagos has a much more passionate vocal effort from Billy Corgan and has some good lyrics, while Bug Eyes has great vocal melodies and does a good job of blending the more rocking sections with the melodic sections. I voted for Bug Eyes since it has a more interesting arrangement.

10. Knocking Nails Into My House vs. Every Time
    Slade's vocal approach turned me off as did the raw sound. Every Time was a very interesting listen, the vocals were nondescript but the energy of the layered acoustics were very effective in contrasting with the subdued vocals.

11. The Kraken vs. Black Man
    The Kraken reminded me of a lost Frank Zappa song with the horn section and the colourful percussion parts. I didn't like the vocals but they were few and far between. This is more of an instrumental piece for me and pleasantly whacky. Black Man is a bit too "poppy" for my liking although it did have some good lyrics.

12. Lady Of A Certain Age vs. Sad and Blue
    This next one was tough, do I go with a song that didn't need to be nearly 6 minutes long or a direct Beatles rip-off? I went with the latter since it did keep my interest. As I said, Lady Of A Certain Age kind of dragged and didn't need to be that long of a song (and I'm a fan of most longer songs).
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 07-21-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Jims, just because I need consistency, you put the song before the band for "Knockong Nails into my House." Could you fix it before I go crazy?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

9. Dredg - Bug Eyes
    10. The Radio Dept. - Every Time
    11. The Rubberbandits - Black Man

Number 10 was a tough choice since I really liked both songs but the rest was pretty easy to choose between. As for 11, while I'm automatically biased due to my entry being "Black Man" that Squirrel Nut Zippers song was weird as all fuck. It went from crappy junkyard instruments to Ed, Eddy 'N' Eddy background music to some sort of eerie burlesque showgirl.

Also @Jims how exactly do you decide which songs face off against each other?
    How to remaster

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    He picks them using a randomiser.

Blog Entries

9. Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos (Is that supposed to be spelled wrong?)
    11. The Rubberbandits - Black Man

Blog Entries

Ghost In The Boom Box vs. California Saga: Big SurThe Memory Cassette song could've benefited greatly from a more washed-out sound, it has a wonderful "public broadcasting" quality that echoes the vaporwave moment of the last few years, but it's a bit too clean to achieve that. Still kinda fits into that peaceful advertisement lullaby vibe though. Can't get into the vocals at all, but I can ignore them well enough.

the Beach Boys track is pleasant enough, and I'm a sucker for homely folk tunes, but It hardly stands out in any manner and feels like a confounding direction for them without being an ambitious one.

Point goes to Memory Cassette

Rolling Clouds vs. She is Staggering
    Some very lively and colorful guitar playing from Paul Baribeau. I dig that. Intimate and sweet, makes me feel like I'm right there with him, living his memories. Music that creates that vicarious sense is always the best. Quite excellent, plus the vocalist reminds me of Scott McMicken from Dr. Dog, which is a personal plus.

Yet, Polaris..wow. Delicious makeshift nostalgia and transcendent jangle. Simply mystifying. I haven't even the words to express how much I love this.

Point goes to Polaris

Galapagos vs. Bug Eyes
    Never been my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song. Corgan's performance is fine, the music is delicate and atmospheric, and builds with a with a sense of drama, but it just doesn't hook me through the whole song, despite always captivating me at first through it's "walking alone and ruminating" vibe. A good song to be alone with, to think with. Just doesn't maintain that power through it's entire duration.

Dredg is...not my thing at all. Heard so much of this before. It's downright stale.

Point goes to Smashing Pumpkins

Knocking Nails Into my House vs. Every Time
    Slade's raw sound and the lively vocal performance keep this from being disposable classic rock, which I nearly wrote it off as, but it hooked onto me and won't let go. Not bad.

Someone in the comments of the Radio Dept. song simply wrote "MY BLOODY VALENTINE!" and that hits the nail on the head. It feels like the highest frequencies and most angelic textures of MBV's fuzzy dreamscapes, but of course less distorted. Pretty beautiful and endlessly listenable. Loop this shit for hours, I'll listen.

Point goes to The Radio Dept.

The Kraken vs. Black Man
    Not extremely well-versed in avant-garde/experimental compositions, so instead of attempting to explain what I like about this in a big word salad, I'll just say: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Tons of fun, brilliant, and bizarrely picturesque.

Rubberbandits? Nah. I don't know what the fuck that was, but nah.

Point easily goes to Squirrel Nut Zippers

Don't have time to grace you with ramblings about the last tracks, but the point goes to Apostrophe

Blog Entries

Gonna vote later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    @Jims, just because I need consistency, you put the song before the band for "Knockong Nails into my House." Could you fix it before I go crazy?
    Fixed! Thanks for the heads-up! :gatorthumsbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Yep, I just do it random. Numbered all 12 songs and then drew slips of paper from a hat. That's the only randomizer I'm gonna do now, though, just to get the brackets going. The songs will now face off in the next round in the same order they were in before (like, George Harrison is going against the bird and the bee in Round 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    9. Smashing Pumpkins - Galapogos (Is that supposed to be spelled wrong?)
    Good question. I just looked it up on Wikipedia (under the album entry) and it says Galapogos too, so I guess that must be how they did it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    [Rubberbandits? Nah. I don't know what the fuck that was
    A comedic song from Ireland about racial stereotypes that's oddly inclusive, rather than racist.

Blog Entries

It was amusing, just not a very good song

Blog Entries

Finally, I'm getting my act together and actually voting. Overall, I prefer this set of tracks to the first set. Is it crazy of me to actually like all 12 of the songs picked in this group? I can't find a single one that I thought was boring and uninteresting.

I really like this song a lot. In particular, I enjoy how it just starts up into immediately... It almost reminds me (and this is a stupid comparison) of how Sonic 1 just starts up immediately into Green Hill Zone. Just boom, and you're off. I agree with @The Thompsons that it does have a similar kind of style to the bird and the bee song from Round 1A, which I also really enjoyed. I also love how layered the track is, making it sound almost symphonic in a way. The one downside I'd say is that, yeah, I can't really understand the lyrics at all. But I don't really care. This song is all about the groove.

Neat selection. It doesn't sound very Beach Boys-ish at all... It has a very plodding, lackadaisical cadence to it. That sort of lazy and relaxed vibe is what the track really has going for it, coming off as being extremely charming and likable. The only problem I have with these kinds of songs (in general) is that I don't usually feel like they go anywhere in particular, there are never any big or quiet moments.

This song is just adorable.

And I'm not really one of those "dude with an acoustic guitar" people. In fact, I think that whole shtick is pretty boring by now. But man... This song is charming as hell. The guitar work is fantastic all the way through, really propelling the thing forward. It really like how it builds to the 3-minute mark as well. The lyrics seems very typical of this kind of song, but they add to the charm. There's an earnestness to the whole thing that is very appealing to me.

Very nostalgic stuff, very mid-90s sound to it. Probably my favorite thing about this particular track is the vocal performance... It's so suited to the guitars in the background and the general tone of the whole thing. That whistle at the 1:30 mark is pretty infectious as well. The echoey guitar in the background does kind of hurt the song a bit for me... There was a lot of that alt rock echoey guitar sound in the mid-90s and never got into the sound much. Definitely still a cool track, though.

Oh Billy Corgan, what have you done to my ears???

Seriously, though, after listening to both Smashing Pumpkins tracks in this showdown, I think I prefer this one more. This track actually reminds me a lot of "Tonight Tonight" in terms of its progression, starting off very quietly and solemn and then adding strings and stuff as it builds... Some of the guitar stings are also reminiscent of that song. Billy Corgan's vocals do work really well in this kind of thing overall, as he is the master of the Quiet, Whisper-like Moment. So at the very least, this song can say it made me enjoy a Billy Corgan vocal performance.

Dredg - Bug Eyes

I was going to write a "generic rock, kind of boring" review, but the song won me over by the end of it. This song almost sounds like a giant church pipe organ by the end, in terms of how layered the instrumentation gets. Wasn't a big fan of that high guitar riff toward the beginning, but it does add a lot to it as the song progresses. No real complaints here, then. Good, solid stuff.

This song is so British-sounding... Just so very British.

But that's not a bad thing, I quite like the general groove and the hook to it. The vocal deliveries add a lot to it, setting the tone perfectly. Also love how they utilize sound effects (like that infectious whistle during the chorus, and the nails pounding). The song is fairly brief compared to the rest of the tracks, but that's not a problem either. This kind of thing might become tiresome if they went even one more verse.

This is another breezy track I'm throwing in the "bird and the bee/Memory Cassette" category. Much like those two tracks, I enjoy this one as well... I think I prefer the other two a little more. What "Every Time" does extremely well is integrate the guitar into the mix, which can be difficult to get right sometimes. Unfortunately what hurts the song for me is that sort of static sound that prevails in the background throughout. I don't think it's actually static, but it kinda muddles and filters the general vibe a little too much for me. I think they need some kind of dissonance to pull off this vibe, but they mixed it a little too high for my tastes.

OH. MY. GOSH. I love this song. It is so good.

The building saxophone is really what sells this thing, and the wood block and guitar adds a lot as well. The song is extremely, extremely picturesque... You can almost picture in your head a ship at sea coming across the kraken, and slowly being pulled into the whirlpool. I'm not sure how I feel about the last minute and a half, though... They start losing me a bit there. But it's so kooky weird and appropriate in a way, I can still dig it.

I wanted to learn a little more about this seemingly random band, so I poked around in their discography a little. I didn't realize this was the band that sang "Hell" (which I remembered from Dead Like Me). My favorite song of theirs that I found, however, was the video they did for The Ghost of Stephen Foster. If you like that Cab Calloway swing music stuff, you should check it out.

I gotta say, I was nervous about this song when I saw the thumbnail. But after listening to it, I found it to be a fun track. It's very silly and ironic... I laughed out loud the first time I heard them go into the "I need a black man" chorus. It's also got that 90s hip-hop synth going during the chorus, which is also very endearing. Probably the biggest downside for this track is that it happens to be up against the Squirrel Nut Zippers track that I just really liked a ton. Sorry Rubberbandits.

This sounds like something... I can't quite place it. There's something in the chord progression in particular and the vocals that seems very familiar to me. Those verses in particular are triggering something in my subconscious. Maybe I'm thinking of something like "In the Year 2525"???

Whatever the case, this is a very beautiful track. I'm a sucker for strings accompaniment (they're like butter, man), so that's a big winner for me. The vocal performance is absolutely perfect as well. It's so deep and bassy and forlorn... Very Irish folksy. Or maybe it's Scottish? I dunno, I've established several times by now that I need to visit Great Britain for a culture lesson. I don't tend to agree with @The Thompsons on the length of this track... I guess it does sort of drone on for awhile, but it feels like this song tells a whole story so it needs the full length. Or maybe it's just because I really enjoy the arrangement so much.

Of all of the match-ups so far, I am most bummed out about this one because I really enjoyed this song a lot, but can't vote for it because I was so utterly floored by the Apostrophe track.

This song is amazing. It's absolutely flawless. It is quite literally the best Beatles-esque song I've ever heard (that's obviously not by the Beatles). The absolutely nail the harmonies used in that older style, as well as the guitar twangs and hooks throughout. The vocals are almost a dead-ringer for John Lennon's early stuff as well. You can just picture The Beatles singing this song on Ed Sullivan.

I don't wanna dismiss everything as being just a Beatles knock-off, but I'm just so flabbergasted by how flawlessly Apostrophe did this kind of song. This was the song I emailed my dad, and he was floored by it too. Very cool stuff.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zach

Hmm had a hard time listening to a lot of these...kept getting bullshit "not available on your device" crap, but it seemed to work on my Kindle Fire. Guess they hate iPods on YouTube.

This song give me the most incredible chills when I listen to it and it truly is one of the prettiest pieces of non-classical music I have listened to. The music created an otherwordly, ethereal atmosphere and once those beginning deeper tones start up along with the distant voice, I'm along for the ride forever. Sort of makes it difficult for me to believe that not only was this done by a male (who made this persona as a feminine alter ego w/ altered vocals to his Weird Tapes persona at the time), he recorded this in the 90s when he was a teenager.

I enjoy Beach Boys music, mostly due to my relatives. This is a good song, doesn't sound like typical Beach Boys which is not a bad thing. It's got a calming effect on me most of the time, but the effect the other track has on me makes it hard for me to pull away from it. Strangely enough, the guy from Memory Cassette was highly influenced by Beach Boys.

8. Paul Baribeau - Rolling Clouds
    An upbeat, high spirited song indeed. Very simple, quite charming, however I'm not super into the guy's voice. I love his energy, though, and the general feeling this song gives off along with the imagery.

Holy nostalgia I haven't heard this in a long time. Very relaxed and sweet song, and in general, more appealing to me than the other song. The vocals really make this for me and I feel like I'm sitting under a tree with friends during summer while listening to this. My husband looooves Hey Sandy so I'm gonna make him listen to this and see how he feels (for fun, I don't think he plans on participating).

Slowly building, pretty tune. Corgan's voice was randomly loud as usual but it actually worked well for this, and there's not much I can really knock this song for. The base melody reminds me of some chill wave stuff I hear on Last.fm.

Dredg - Bug Eyes
    I liked the start up, and the echoing of the opening riff parking itself in the background of the song combined with the vocals went very nicely together. Although overall, it's a bit unremarkable.

The vocals kind of turned me off at first but as the song progressed I found myself nodding my head to the tune. It comes off a bit goofy to me, and sounds more like something my dad would listen to if anything.

Pretty much hits me at all the right spots...shoegaze, dream-pop sound, makes me picture pastel lights in my head as I just relax and melt into it. Not to be nerdy but I first heard this song while reading the last book of Harry Potter so it had an interesting effect on me when I realized one of my fave characters died.

Oh man this song is incredible. Truly takes you on a journey. Fantastic piece of music, reminds me of some VGM I have. The voice that comes in really seals it for me. Very fun track, probably my fave so far not including mine.

Sounded like it would be some old school new jack city at first and then the singing comes in and I'm like lol. Probably mostly appeals to me because of the music itself as the lyrics get a little obnoxious after a little awhile but I still smirked. Not bad but the other song was such a nice find.

Simple melody, a voice that appears to match the epicness of the material the band name comes from. It's definitely a slight bit lengthy but it doesn't really feel that way to me. Anyway my music vocabulary obviously sucks so let's just say I liked this a lot.

Something something The Beatles.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

I must say that Ghost In The Boom Box is the find of the tourney so far. This is a very addicting track!

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Blog Entries

Damn, I still remember the top two songs in the last tournament, about five years ago. I should've nominated those.

Blog Entries

A little less than 2 days left now!

Blog Entries

oh I'll do this tonight
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Only 12 hours left.

Two of the match-ups are currently tied, so make your vote count! I'll try to post the Final 12 match-ups tomorrow before I leave, so let's try to avoid having to do another tie-breaker.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Knocking Nails Into My House - Slade

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Boy I'm getting slaughtered this round (and understandably so), I should have gone with something more unconventional.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Almost forgot about this.
    Bleach Boys California saga.
    Rolling Clouds
    Galapogos
    Knocking Nails In My House
    Black Man
    Divine Comedy.

Considering i have never been a huge fan of music. (There is Linkin Park, i guess, but other than that i dont listen much to music) So im hearing most of these songs for the first time.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think Slade are just about winning at the moment. Which surprises me a lot, I've got to admit.

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. I really liked this song. It had a nice atmosphere to it and dreamy, echoey vocals. I may put this on my playlist.
    vs.
    Well, this one didn't sound very much like the Beach Boys at all. It sounded more like a country song than anything, what with the harmonica and Mike Love's vocals. They manage to pull it off rather well, and it's a nice song. However, the other song is quite a lot better for me.

Some good acoustic guitar playing on this one, which is definitely the highlight of the song. I'm not a huge fan of Paul's vocals to be honest, but they suit the song well. Quite a nice song overall.
    vs.
    This is quite a nice song as well. It's a bit more interesting than the other one, and the vocals are a bit better, so my vote will go with this one. This match-up was close, though. I didn't like either one that much.

I really like the Smashing Pumpkins, and I have to say their softer, more melodic songs are much better for me than their louder rocky stuff. This song is a great example of that, a lovely gentle tune with great vocals from Corgan.
    vs.
    Dredg - Bug Eyes
    I really enjoyed this song as well. Some good guitar playing and a great anthemic chorus. Sure you could call it generic pop-rock, but it's damn good generic pop-rock. This match-up was tough, but Bug Eyes wins. Just.

This song had some good guitar and Noddy Holder delivers some decent vocals. However I think the lyrics are a bit silly, and the whistles in the background don't really do it for me.
    vs.
    I really liked this song. The contrast of the soft echoey vocals with the louder instrumentation was lovely, and the song has a relaxing vibe. An easy winner here.

Bit of a weird one here, but I liked it! I like how it has that crazy instrumental opening and then a softer, somewhat creepy second half.
    vs.
    Some really cool drumming and lively vocals here. The lyrics are really funny as well, even if they may be a tad offensive to some. I'm a bit torn on what to vote for here, so erm...I guess Black Man wins.

A nice tune, with good vocals and lyrics. Somewhat depressing but nice. Very nice.
    vs.
    Well, that reminded me of the early Beatles quite a bit. Nice vocal harmonies here and a good, catchy melody. I'l go with this one.

Thread Information