Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NHC Music Showdown - Voting Thread (Final Results!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here are my votes.
    1.alexandre poulin - Une lumiere allumée
    2.The Winery Dogs - Elevate
    3.Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
    4.They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm
    5.Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
    6.Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

1. george harrison - save the world
    2. the winery dogs - elevate
    3. sloan - deeper than beauty
    4. they might be giants - the cap'm
    5. billie holiday - comes love
    6. the absentees - tryin' to mess with me

Banned
    Blog Entries

1. George Harrison - Save The World
    2. The Bird and the Bee - Love Letter To Japan
    3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty
    4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm
    5. Billie Holiday - Comes Love
    6. Gordon Litefoot - Go-Go Round

1. George Harrison - Save The World (the other song was very boring.)
    2. The Winery Dogs - Elevate (i thought they were both pretty bad.)
    3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty (easy choice.)
    4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm (thumbs down to both.)
    5. Billy Holiday - Comes Love (they both bored me to death.)
    6. The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me (now there's a kickass song.)

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    1. George Harrison - Save The World (the other song was very boring.)
    2. The Winery Dogs - Elevate (i thought they were both pretty bad.)
    3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty (easy choice.)
    4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm (thumbs down to both.)
    5. Billy Holiday - Comes Love (they both bored me to death.)
    6. The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me (now there's a kickass song.)
    haha same as me, and i agree with your comments, except i do have a soft spot for the billie holiday track. and i suppose the tmbg song is aiight

Blog Entries

I'm gonna go with the kupomog formatting for voting.

1. alexandre poulin - Une lumiere allumée

As I mentioned in the thread before, I'm more of a melody/arrangement guy, so the French lyrics don't turn me off too much... At the beginning, I didn't think it would be that special or anything (seemed pretty basic), but it really builds nicely as the song progresses. The strings really help a lot in making it sound big and grand.

George Harrison - Save The World

This song is hooky as hell. Like, right from the beginning, it's got that 70s rock hook to it that keeps going all the way through. I'm less crazy about how the verses are structured (kinda bland), but every time the chorus comes back in, I start tapping my foot again with it. It feels a little uneven for me, personally... Which is why the other song just narrowly edges it out.

(I may re-think this later and change my mind. It's super-close between them for me.)

2. the bird and the bee - Love Letter To Japan

I really enjoy the vocal style in this one... It's hard to explain. They seem kind of aloof in a weird way, like they're not all that interested in singing the song almost. Reminds me a little of something like "Heart of Glass" by Blondie. It's a really solid pop song all the way through, no real peaks or valleys in it. And, of course, I like the subject matter of the song as well. A fun love letter to Japan.

The Winery Dogs - Elevate

The cynic in me is saying that I feel like I've heard a lot of songs that sound a lot like this... But I feel like those other songs don't necessarily hit some of the highs that this song hits. That opening hit of the chorus is always great every time they get there. And the bass line is just great. Don't usually pay a huge amount to the bass guitar in rock music, but they really feature it well in the some of the interludes.

This was another super-close choice too... May change this later too.

3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty

Mentioned in the thread before, I like the guitar hook a lot and the general vibe of the whole thing. Sounds like great driving-around-with-the-windows-down music. It doesn't really wear out its welcome either, the song ends when it should. All of the "la laaaaaa"s at the end is making me laugh now after the discussion I had with @Shaunbadia about it. Maybe he has a point, there.

Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost

Never been the hugest Smashing Pumpkins guy... I sometimes wanna punch Billy Corgan after listening to his voice for too long. I can appreciate his vocals to some degree, but he's never been my cup of tea. Like a lot of Smashing Pumpkins songs for me (like, say, "1979") I usually enjoy them for the bassline and the pacing of the thing, which is certainly true for this song. It's weird, though, after complaining about the vocals, I still can't imagine any different ones being in this song. I guess I'm just destined to feel kinda hot-and-cold about this band.

This song feels very They Might Be Giants. Very reminiscent of some of their earlier rock stuff (especially "Doctor Worm"). It's also a fictional character song, which is also so like them. With this particular track, I really love the driving beat of the thing. It's super-upbeat stuff. Love the instrument they use in the interlude as well (whatever it is). The biggest downside I'd say to this track is that it's fluffy and pointless in many ways. Comfort food music.

Tune Yards - Riotriot

This is the kind of song that depresses me because it reminds me of what a music troglodyte I am, because I don't really get this track. It's kind of eerie and dissonant throughout a lot of it. I do really enjoy when it gets really big and crazy later on with the sax and stuff, however. But throughout most of it, I'm kind of confused. I feel like this is the kind of song I would appreciate more if I listened to a larger variety of music.

(I'll edit in the other 2 match-ups later when I have more time.)

5. Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light

Interesting song. It's almost serene in a way, almost ethereal. During the first half, you really wonder where it's going. It builds really nicely throughout, and manages to come off as being kinda haunting by the very end. This song is growing on me.

Billy Holiday - Comes Love

It's all right. I'm a big fan of those old jazz standards and stuff (played a ton of them in band, clarinet), but this particular song doesn't do a lot for me. I do enjoy the atmosphere of it, of course, but don't feel like the song really shows off Billy Holliday's vocals that well.

6. The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me

Never been the biggest punk rock guy, but this works for me. Really love how raw it sounds, with the static on the microphone and everything. Love how the beginning just starts up immediately, no build-up or anything. I also like its brevity and how it doesn't go on for an extra repetitive verse.

Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round

This song reminds me of something. Maybe I've heard this song before, or maybe I'm just thinking of a Simon and Garfunkel one. Either way, it's a very chill tune, very much the opposite of the song it's up against. Got no real complaints with this at all... The guitar works, the harmonies work, the tambourine works. Solid stuff.

Another tough choice because the songs are so apples-and-oranges. I'll go with The Absentees for now because I find it a little more unique and interesting.

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. George Harrison - Save The World
    2. The Bird and the Bee - Love Letter To Japan
    3. Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost (Hardest one to pick)
    5. Billie Holiday - Comes Love
    6. Gordon Litefoot - Go-Go Round
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 07-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(both bad)
    2. the bird and the bee - love letter to japan
    (i didn't really like either to be honest but i guess i gave the advantage to tbatb for not being so cheesy)
    (liked the low key nature of this song. short and sweet. didn't love it but it was decent)
    4. tune-yards - riotriot
    (this criticism may be generic, but i found the giants song to be..... generic)
    (swag jazz >>>>> audioslave)
    (lightfoot was a little too drenched in 70s hippy love for me. dug the absentees track)

EDIT: haha i just realised my picks are the exact opposites to homer the stonecutter's

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cloneasaurus View Post
    (both bad)
    2. the bird and the bee - love letter to japan
    (i didn't really like either to be honest but i guess i gave the advantage to tbatb for not being so cheesy)
    (liked the low key nature of this song. short and sweet. didn't love it but it was decent)
    4. tune-yards - riotriot
    (this criticism may be generic, but i found the giants song to be..... generic)
    (swag jazz >>>>> audioslave)
    (lightfoot was a little too drenched in 70s hippy love for me. dug the absentees track)

EDIT: haha i just realised my picks are the exact opposites to homer the stonecutter's
    Well, people can sometimes have very different tastes in music.

Blog Entries

This thread got too far down the list for my liking.
    How to remaster

yeah what's the hold up guys, let's go!

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Blog Entries

This bump reminded me that I need to hound @vriskatime and @Kid Moe for their entries again.

The votes came in quicker than I expected... I was expecting more procrastination in general (since I myself am horrible about that kind of thing). Maybe starting the rounds at the beginning of the weekend makes it easier to find time to do it.

Gotta say, I think a lot of the quirkier/offbeat choices ended up in the second set of 12 songs. Should be an interesting set of matchups.

Blog Entries

That was definitely the most music I'd ever listened to in one day. It got exhausting near the end.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    That was definitely the most music I'd ever listened to in one day. It got exhausting near the end.
    What'd you think of them? Not to put you on the spot or anything, but kinda curious.

Blog Entries

I had to look up the lyrics and follow them, because I can't make out lyrics to songs. I can hear them singing, but I can't understand what words they say. They sing the lyrics quickly and it's masked by instruments and music, and I can rarely make out more than a few words in a song. I don't know how people can do it.

But anyway, the only song I thought was really good and catchy was that "Save The World" song. The one it was up against was also very good; it would've won if it was up against anything else. Please, PLEASE don't challenge why I like or dislike certain songs; I know so little about music that it's just "do I like what I'm hearing here?" I don't know how to analyze them more closely.

you don't need to know the lyrics to enjoy a song.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm...

Thanks for the tip. I won't look up the lyrics next time.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

alexandre poulin - Une lumiere allumée
    not a big fan, but i'm sure i would've liked it more if I could understand it. decent enough.

vs.
    like jims said, it was really hokey. i guess it was okay, but i expected more from an ex-beatle. i'll have to give the edge to the foreign one.

the bird and the bee - Love Letter To Japan
    not at all my cup of tea. i guess it's fine for what it is, but overall i really didn't like it.

vs.
    The Winery Dogs - Elevate
    pretty cool little song.

Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty
    eh, kind of lame. not at all bad, though, and i guess i kind of liked it.

vs.
    Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
    i love the smashing pumpkins. maybe not my favorite song by them, but it was still quite good.

They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm
    i liked it enough. pretty forgettable, but not bad.

vs.
    Tune Yards - Riotriot
    pretty boring.

Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
    i love chris cornell's voice. great song.

vs.
    this one just didn't do much for me. kind of lame and boring.

The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me
    not bad, but pretty forgettable and weak.

vs.
    Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round
    amusing little song.
    Last edited by Frightenin' Mate No. 2; 07-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

You didn't bold any for number 4, @Frightened Inmate No. 2.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightenin' Mate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh yeah. fixed

Blog Entries

Three more days to vote!

Also, we may end up one song short for this thing (even using N Wilbury and The Thompsons' alternate picks), so if anyone else has a second song they wanna nominate, send it over! Don't make me pick a random song from my iTunes, guys.

Blog Entries

I sent in my second nomination!
    And I'll vote eventually.

Banned
    Blog Entries

So @Jims, are we using my second nomination again now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N Wilbury View Post
    So @Jims, are we using my second nomination again now?
    Yeah. Kid Moe's suggested song choices didn't work out (darn my picky rules!), so I'm putting yours back in the mix.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Yeah. Kid Moe's suggested song choices didn't work out (darn my picky rules!), so I'm putting yours back in the mix.
    OK, sounds cool.

Blog Entries

Voting closes at midnight tonight. Just a few more hours left!

.. @Dobbie

Blog Entries

I won't be able to vote this round, sorry.

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aww man, how did I miss this thread? I would have loved to nominate something. Oh well...

Blog Entries

We have a tie for two of the match-ups, so I'll be sending out a random PM to one of our members to see if they can break the tie for us.

the bird and the bee - Love Letter To Japan

Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty

They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm

The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me

Thread Information