Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NHC Music Showdown - Voting Thread (Final Results!)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

2013 NHC Music Showdown - Voting Thread (Final Results!)

Let's do this thing!

In previous years, the NHC used to do music showdowns as a fun activity to show boarders' various musical interests and share some of their stuff to others. So, over the past few days, we've been collecting nominations for the 2013 NHC Music Showdown, so now it's time to vote. There are 24 songs total, submitted by the following users:

@zach
    @Old painty-can Ned
    @N Wilbury
    @parklife
    @The Thompsons
    @hammster
    @Shaunbadia
    @kupomog
    @Kaos
    @cloneasaurus
    @Frightened Inmate No. 2
    @Homer The Stonecutter
    @Lionel Hutz
    @Jims
    @Pops
    @Dobbie

(And possibly @vriskatime, @Mozy, @Ryan, and @Kid Moe, too.)

So now it's time to vote. To kick things off, we're gonna start with 12 of the 24 songs, arranged into 6 head-to-head matchups. All you gotta do is listen to each of them, and then vote for which song you prefer. The winning song will move onto the next round, and the losing one will be eliminated. The last song standing at the end of the bracket is the winner, and the person who nominated it gets to brag about how flawless their taste in music is. Also, anyone on NHC is free to vote in this, so feel free to vote even if you didn't nominate anything!

The voting deadline is this upcoming Saturday, August 9th at 00:00 AM (EST)... Or Friday night at midnight if you wanna think of it that way. Voting will be done in this thread, to avoid cluttering up my inbox.

(Also, try not to watch any of the music videos for some of them. We're going for best song here, not best video.)

The matchups will be numbered, so feel free to number your selections! Will make counting the votes a little easier.

Final Results

3rd place

George Harrison - Save The World (21 pts) - Nominated by @Harry

2nd place

Memory Cassette - Ghost in the Boombox (24 pts) - Nominated by @kupomog

1st place

Squirrel Nut Zippers - The Kraken (27 pts) - Nominated by @Pops

(If your nomination isn't on the list yet, don't worry, it'll be in Round 1B with the other remaining songs.)

Feel free to discuss the songs, point out what you like, dislike about each of them. Since people nominated these anonymously, I'm sure we'd all like to hear feedback on what people thought of them. Also, gotta get a good music debate going.

Have fun!

Blog Entries

Oh man why did you have to pit me against a Beatle? Such a miserable start...

Blog Entries

I didn't want to create 6 separate polls, so just vote in a...

kind of format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Oh man why did you have to pit me against a Beatle? Such a miserable start...
    Random draw hates you.

(There's not going to be much suspense over the nominators for that first match-up.)

Blog Entries

Wait, so how do I get to participate?
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Blog Entries

Listen to songs.
    Vote.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe View Post
    Wait, so how do I get to participate?
    If you wanna nominate, go convince one of those second nominee people I mentioned in the sign-up thread to give you their extra spot. Maybe someone will volunteer, maybe you'll have to do them favors.

You can still vote either way, of course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    If you wanna nominate, go convince one of those second nominee people I mentioned in the sign-up thread to give you their extra spot. Maybe someone will volunteer, maybe you'll have to do them favors.

You can still vote either way, of course.
    Looks like I'll have to go work some magic.

Blog Entries

@Jims do we PM you the votes?
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    @Jims do we PM you the votes?
    Nope, go ahead and post 'em in this thread.

Blog Entries

really?

that seems like it might lead to some bad blood but okay
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

I'm actually rather ashamed to have nominated that. Should have stayed on the English side!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    really?

I love how the forum has gotten to the point where people try to tip-toe around things like this for fear it will set off a powder keg.

Anyway, @Jims here are my votes.

1. George Harrison - Save the World
    2. the bird and the bee - Love Letter to Japan
    3. Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
    4. They Might Be Giants - Cap'm
    5. Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
    6. Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round

Number 2 was the only thing I found conflicting in terms of which to vote for, as both "Love Letter to Japan" and "Elevate" are great, but everything else took little to no thought about which I liked more.

Oh, and I REALLY dislike that Sloan song. It was just so...whiny I guess would be the best way to put it. I found it annoying. The others that didn't get my vote with the exception of "Elevate" just weren't really my sort of thing. Plus the static sound of the vocals on that Absentees song was fairly off-putting.

@Dobbie your pick not being in English is most likely going to have an adverse effect on how well it does. I know it effected my choosing significantly.

Blog Entries

Racist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    really?

It's all anonymous anyway. I'd hope people wouldn't take criticism of their song choice as a knock against them personally, especially given the anonymous noms and whatnot. Public votes are also good for spurring music discussion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Racist.
    Hey, there's a few songs that aren't in English that I do like. "Ai no Uta" (Or "Song of Love") from Pikman springs to mind. I actually find the French lyrics fit the music better than the English ones.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Oh, and I REALLY dislike that Sloan song. It was just so...whiny I guess would be the best way to put it. I found it annoying. The others that didn't get my vote with the exception of "Elevate" just weren't really my sort of thing. Plus the static sound of the vocals on that Absentees song was fairly off-putting.
    I guess I can see the "whiny" thing with the Sloan song (in the intonation of the vocals), but I dunno... The guitar in that song is so great. Very light and breezy. I like the Smashing Pumpkins song too, so that'll be a tough choice for me.

Blog Entries

@Jims I was referring specifically to the vocals with that Sloan song, the actual music is fine but the vocals are just...ugh.

Blog Entries

Ah... That explains it. I've always been more of an instrumentation/arrangement guy when it comes to music. I'd listen to a song where the lyrics are "blah blah blah" the whole time if it has a good arrangement.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

Heh, that just reminds me of that Strong Bad email where he lists his "Bottom 10" and notes that one of the things he hates most is "Songs that try to pass off la la's, na na's, and doot do's as legit lyrics"

Blog Entries

Quebecois vocabulary forever!

Blog Entries

Crying beaver sounds like slang for a wet vagina

Numbers 3 and 6 were difficult to decide on, it really depends on the mood I'm in I guess. Here are my votes:

1. Save The World
    2. Elevate
    3. Deeper Than Beauty
    4. I'm The Cap'm
    5. Comes Love
    6. Go-Go Round
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

HMy votes are bolded AND italicized, oooh fancy.

1. alexandre poulin - Une lumiere allumée
    I am a sucker for foreign language songs, and I enjoy this fella's voice; it's quite nice. Music itself is subdued and brings a nice melody I could relax to. Good way to start off this listening session, and a nice new find.

George Harrison - Save the World
    Heard this Harrison song before. It's all right but just didn't really catch my attention after hearing the other song. And in general, I don't partake in much solo Beatles members music.

2. the bird and the bee - Love Letter To Japan
    I enjoy quite of few of the bird and the bee tracks, this is one of them. I honestly am not too huge a fan of her voice in some songs like I Hate Camera; I wouldn't be able to distinguish her from quite a few other female indie artists. It's great in this song combined with the tune of electronic music, though. I don't imagine many here are Gwen Stefani fans but this song has a poppy beat that reminds me a bit of Harajuku Girls, but less obnoxious/loud in execution.

The Winery Dogs - Elevate
    Hey, rock music. Actually not a bad tune and the singing isn't at all obnoxious. I like dat riff. If it weren't for the fact that I favor the poppy girly music, this would've been my pick.

3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty
    I like lo-fi sounding garage band type music. This is not bad, I remember it from yeeears ago, but I do like me some pumpkin smashin' and polite smilin'.

Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
    Wasn't too huge a fan of Zeitgeist but this song really is very pretty. Mellow, reminds me a bit of their older music. Like it a lot more than I remember.

4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm
    What can I say? Hard not to love TMBG. Just happens to be a sweet tune with a killer beat.

Tune Yards - Riotriot
    Didn't really like this. I like experimenting with beat and voice but this sounded too disjointed for me to get into and about halfway through just started to sound like noise. I was wondering if my headphones had been messing up.

5. Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
    Not a fan of Audioslave outside of Like a Stone. My dad had this album on repeat when he used to drive me around. And I remember hating it. Didn't hate this song this time around, actually quite like it.

Billy Holiday - Comes Love
    Was thinking winner by default as I do like Billie Holiday and am a sucker for oldies (not so much jazz). But the Audioslave song surprised me.

6. The Absentees - Tryin' to Mess with Me
    A little too screechy for me, not as quaint as the Sloan song.

Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round
    Good country/folk music, soothing singing. Makes me wish I was chillin' out in the countryside while listening to it.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Black Hole Sun was Soundgarden but I digress...

The Poulin song was a bit too mellow and almost put me to sleep. I liked Harrison's experimentation with the sound effects in Save The World. I don't own Somewhere In England but I've liked everything I've heard from it so far, I'll have to check more of it out.

Love Letter To Japan was quite forgettable and not really my thing. Elevate is just a great rock song with a great groove, a refreshing listen.

As @kupomog said, I enjoyed the garage sound from Sloan. I do prefer their other vocalist Patrick Pentland however. I liked the keyboards in the Smashing Pumpkins song but Billy Corgan's vocals weren't really inspired. Based on the Pumpkins having much stronger material than what was presented here I went with Sloan.

They Might Be Giants pretty much won by default as the ukele/electric bass loop approach of the Tune Yards was a bit akward. I wasn't really a fan of either of these tbh.

The next match up has another bland run-of-the mill offering from Audioslave. I wish Chris Cornell would get his ass in gear and start writing some good songs again. Billie Holiday is one of the most brilliant vocalists of our time and I have heard Comes Love before, I just can't remember where.

Finally a real toughie, a real clash of styles. I liked the riffs and aggressiveness of Tryin' To Mess With Me but Go-Go Round is another song that I hadn't heard in a while and it just had that x-factor that a song you have forgotten about and rediscover has. I could really go either way with this vote.

Lol why did I say Black Hole Sun? I meant LIKE A STONE...confused myself while thinking of Chris Cornell. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and David Bowie is like all my husband listens to.

Blog Entries

2.The Winery Dogs - Elevate

3.Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost

4.They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm

5.Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light

6.Gordon Lightfoot - Go-Go Round

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll probably vote later, but @Kid Moe, you can take my second nomination if you want. I'll let you nominate your own song instead.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

1. George Harrison - Save The World

3. Sloan - Deeper Than Beauty

4. They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm

5. Billy Holiday - Comes Love

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Round 1A
    Love George Harrison but wasn't crazy about that song. Not crazy about the other pick but it just edges it for me.
    The bird and the bee are one of my favourites bands and I wasn't overly keen on the other choice. So this was the easiest one for me.
    3. Smashing Pumpkins - Neverlost
    4. Tune Yards - Riotriot
    Thank you to whoever nominated this. Really like it. Find of the tournament so far for me.
    5. Billy Holiday - Comes Love
    I had to pick one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N Wilbury View Post
    I'll probably vote later, but @Kid Moe, you can take my second nomination if you want. I'll let you nominate your own song instead.
    Alright, thanks man. I really appreciate it.

Thread Information