Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grammar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I just read a post online where someone attempted to define which groups in society are "cretins" and used the word "encourageable" in the place of "incorrigible". Really. If you're going to be so strict about which kinds of humans are too stupid to live, at least make sure you're working within your vocabulary.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

What about text talk like "lol" or "ttyl"?
    Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    Better not waste it in the Lounge.

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

It shouldn't be used in formal writing, but it does have a purpose for a specific type of communication. One thing I cannot stand, however, is when people change spellings of words. For example, "you" somehow becomes "u".

Blog Entries

I suppose, but when I talk with people, it gets annoying if they say "like" a lot. For example, "this is, like, the best thing in the world"

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know a lot of people that need to say "like" in every sentence. It feels as if they aren't confident or sure of what they are talking about, and they've sadly done the same thing during their job interview (in which they lost their job opportunity, of course).
    I don't have a lot of problems with internet slangs such as "lol", "u", "plz", but overusing these will still get irritating to read sometimes.

Blog Entries

I don't like the people that use the text talk irl

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

Here's an interesting article about Internet English from The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/book...ole?CMP=twt_gu

The internet might be a historic boon for kitten-fanciers and steaming-eared trolls, but it's not all good news. Online writing, you see, is destroying the purity of English as we know it and threatening to dumb us all down into a herd of screen-jabbing illiterates. Or so runs one regular technophobic complaint, the latest version of which has been offered by Robert McCrum. He is worried about what he describes as "the abuse and impoverishment of English online (notably, in blogs and emails)" and what he perceives as "the overall crassness of English prose in the age of global communications". The remedy, as so often for such linguo-pessimists, is George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language", about whose loopy prescriptions I have previously recorded my own reservations.

But is it really true that English is being abused and impoverished in "blogs and emails"? I suppose it depends what kind of blogs one reads – the New Yorker's Page Turner blog or Crooked Timber seem pretty well-written to me – and what kind of email correspondents one is blessed with (a lot of mine, I'm happy to say, are rather excellent stylists). As for the "overall crassness" of internet prose, there is an increasing amount of very fine essay-writing going on for online-only publications such as Aeon magazine and Matter. McCrum laments "the violence the internet does to the English language", though from my point of view, here in front of my laptop, the internet seems rather faithfully to transmit whatever I type to the eyes of waiting readers without doing violence to it at all. If there's anything wrong with the result, it's my fault, not the internet's.

Of course there's a lot of bad writing on the web, but there's a lot of very good writing too. There's just more writing at all levels of quality. McCrum offers no evidence that the bad is a greater proportion of the whole than it ever was. Arguably, thanks to internetworked electronic communications, people are writing more than ever before in history. This does not by itself seem adequate cause for dejection among the literati.

Moreover, against the claim that the internet is impoverishing our language must be set the truth that it is (somehow simultaneously) expanding it with new and entertaining means of expression. Take, for instance, the very useful ejaculation "facepalm". This splendidly economical way of indicating ironic despair — sometimes accompanied by an image of Captain Jean-Luc Picard covering his face with his hand — is just one of the useful lexical innovations the internet offers to those who actually read it. As Tom Chatfield's recent book on the subject, Netymology, explains: "When I type out the word 'facepalm', nobody actually thinks that I'm dropping my own head into my hand (even though I may be doing so). The agreed convention, rather, is that typing this neatly compressed term is an efficiently vivid way of suggesting – through a word – that I consider myself lost for words."

The same kind of enjoyable perfomativity attends a semantic cousin of "facepalm" that Chatfield doesn't mention, and which is slightly more violent in its ironic despondency – "headdesk". One should be careful to distinguish between the two usages. "Headdesk" seems to imply that one is so appalled by the stimulus in question that one is prepared to cause oneself physical pain as a welcome distraction. But just covering one's eyes with one's hand seems gentler, sadder, perhaps even a little sympathetic. So the next time we read a detail-free moan about how the internet is ruining our language, I think the right response, all things considered, is a rousing chorus of "FACEPALM".
    Simpsons Tapped Out ID: Knightboat89

That's the most hilariously intellectual definition of "headdesk" I've ever seen.

Blog Entries

Good choice of words

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bump

There is a billboard advertising an ice cream place in my town. It says it has "Shake's," "Split's," and two other things I can't remember that also have misplaced apostrophes.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Bump

There is a billboard advertising an ice cream place in my town. It says it has "Shake's," "Split's," and two other things I can't remember that also have misplaced apostrophes.
    This is some devastating news.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere Man View Post
    This is some devastating news.
    It is, actually
    I thought this thread was hard-core
    thought society was past such easy messups (okay I didn't)
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tromboon View Post
    It is, actually
    I thought this thread was hard-core
    thought society was past such easy messups
    Turn's out it isnt

Blog Entries

*Turns
    *isn't

Blog Entries

Bump.

I support the Oxford comma. Interestingly enough, I've never seen it used in Chinese before. I tried using it in a writing assignment in my Chinese class but I got it wrong. I didn't feel up to arguing because I didn't know how to say "Oxford comma" in Chinese.

I'm good enough at spelling, like Panther said if I've ever seen a word in my life I know how to spell it. For example I can spell Nahasapeemapetilon from memory, even though I've never actually tried to memorize it. I just looked at it. Despite being able to spell Nahasapeemapetilon, it took a while before I could spell Castell-whatever or Terwilliger.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 03-08-2014 at 08:37 PM.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

You still can't spell Castellaneta.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Blog Entries

He has been credited as Castellenetta before, so you can spell it like that.
    Last edited by The Goode Family; 03-08-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

Just like I can spell it Kristen Schall?

Blog Entries

If it was on The Simpsons it doesn't count.

Blog Entries

Let's discuss proper usage of the pilcrow.

Blog Entries

I don't use pilcrows either. There's no point to them other than indicating paragraphs.

A lot of time when I write, I find I don't use contractions on my first draft. But it sounds verbose so I go back and change it.

Also, 'who' is the subject of a sentence and 'whom' is an object, 'to whom', 'from whom.' It's old English.

After my short stint as a film student I had a short stint as a journalism student. Every single spelling and punctuation error was an immediate letter grade drop. I didn't take it seriously enough and consequently didn't do so great.

Blog Entries

NICE. I'm planning on majoring in journalism.

Blog Entries

Let us discuss yet another wonderful facet of grammar: dashes. Not very many people know about the different kinds of dashes and their names. Some of their uses, such as when to use an en dash instead of a hyphen, can be surprisingly complicated.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pilcrow

Without looking it up I remember something about using one similarly to a comma and another to separate different ideas.

I recommend the Good book for all your grammatical needs.

Blog Entries

I know about and generally use four types of dashes/hyphens/subtraction signs. I'm pretty sure there are more, so Financial Panther can point out those that I miss.

Em dash: The longest dash (—), twice the length of an en dash. It's used to note the sources of quotes.

Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
    —Homer Simpson

En dash: Exactly half the length of the em dash, but longer than a hyphen. These can be interpreted as "everything in between." For example, 1920–1923 means 1920, 1921, 1922, and 1923, or 1920 to 1923. Pages 1–3 includes page 1, page 3, and everything in between.

Dashes: Including both the em dash and the en dash, these are longer than hyphens and are used like the comma or the parentheses. For example, "Everybody–and I mean everybody–is stupid but me." (Not the exact Simpsons quote, but I can live with it.)

Hyphens: The shortest of the bunch, these are used to connect related words. For example, "twenty-three."

Subtraction sign: Slightly longer than the hyphen, but not as long as the dash. Do I really need an example of subtraction here?

In my writing I try to distinguish the length of these horizontal lines, although nobody ever notices. When I type, I choose to use the en dash more often, as the em dash feels too long for me. However, when I'm more lazy, I just use the hyphen key on my keyboard for everything.

You may now point out any mistakes I made. There's some good discussion going on here, by the way.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 03-10-2014 at 03:16 PM.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

I believe the em dash is used for comma substitution. "Everybody—and I mean everybody—is stupid but me." As far as I know, it is the same length as two hyphens, and it does also indicate the source of a quote.

You claim that an em dash is twice the length of itself, by the way.

Blog Entries

Comic book double dash is the best dash

Blog Entries

Dashes and colons are often used interchangeably, and the difference is subtle. I learned about the difference from Grammar Girl. The em dash should be used instead of the colon when sentence has more drama and reveals more surprise. For example, "I like eating two things: candy and pie." This isn't too surpising. Contrast it with this: "I like eating two things—ants and slugs. That's nuch more surprising and has a "wow!" factor, so an em dash would be more appropriate.

Thread Information