Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grammar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by President Elect Hillary Clinton View Post
    Is hella a California thing. Heard that all the time down there and just in a way that was like how was your day? Hella.
    It is. Specifically, it’s northern Californian. I said it a lot in middle and high school (both to mean “really” and “a lot of”) but it gradually vanished from my speech during college.

Blog Entries

don't even know what a California accent would be, other than the surfer accent and valley girl, which both hail from socal. ebonics is from the Bay Area, but white people don't use ebonics.

I was born in San Jose to parents that had lived there since the early 70s, and raised in the Boise Idaho area. lived in Chicago for a year and a half and have been living in Tidewater Virginia for the last 6 and a half years. If I have any accent it's completely fucked, because there are so many differing cultures in my background right now.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

guess maybe it comes down to words? like I say soda and not pop, kitty corner and not catty corner, creek and not crick

Blog Entries

yeah I didn't even know california had collaquisms or even specific dialect besides valley girl/surfer

man do I wish I had an accent. accents are cool
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

hella is absolutely a norcal thing. won't own up to that awful word bein from my state

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Soda is correct. If you say soda pop fuck u

Blog Entries

when you say pop it just makes you sound like a little kid

current room mate is from Minnesota and she says pop, drives me nuts.

Apparently in some parts of the country, instead of saying “soda” or “pop”, they call it all “coke”, which is just confusing...

Blog Entries

coke is a southern thing, though mostly a Deep South thing

probably stems from the fact coke is based in atlanta. pepsi originated in the Carolinas(around here Pepsi cans say "born in the Carolinas" on them) so calling everything coke isn't as common as it is further south.

Blog Entries

Everyone calls it "soda" here, if you call it pop I'm gonna give you mean looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

soda is the word for sure. pop is infantile and coke as a generalization is a disrespect to the fine lesser soda companies out there making good products and not selling their soul to the machien!

(also it just sounds bad like is there even an equivalent for that, another food type that gets generalized by one brand?)

Blog Entries

I don't understand where that comes from. No one looks at some Mountain Dew or something and calls it "coke"??

Maybe with other stuff but never the sodas

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Maybe not a good type but everyone calls tissues Kleenex and stuff like that.

Blog Entries

band aid

Blog Entries

frisbee

Blog Entries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...zed_trademarks

man so many of these I'm guilty of

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I’ve looked at that list. I avoid using genericized trademarks that I know of. I always say “tissue,” “bandage,” and “waste disposal unit,” among others. I once edited something in the newspaper that said “Frisbee” when referring to something of a different brand to “flying disc.”

Blog Entries

I knew people said 'coke' when talking about soda but yeah I never really got why.

I said pop usually growing up but soda just... sounds better? I can't really explain it. like scary kaos said, pop just sounds like something kids would say

I never considered use of genericized trademarks a matter for linguistic rectitude; I make no attempt not to use them. That said, I never knew "baggie" was one until recently (it's not on that list, but it is an example). I always heard people of a certain generation say this (including my dad and some teachers), but I always called them "ziploc bags" or even just "ziplocs".

This might sound bad but the only people I know who use baggie are people who either deal or buy drugs/pot. The little bitty ziplocs you get your shit in are called "baggies" often.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    So one grammatical problem I see frequently is i.e. vs. e.g.

Let's discuss this.
    ie - stands for id est
    vs - versus
    eg - example

Blog Entries

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ktripcle View Post
    ie - stands for id est
    vs - versus
    eg - example
    e.g. = exempli gratia
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Blog Entries

In Werking Mom, Agnes pointed out that Seymour never uses semicolons and proceeded to show an example in Lisa’s forged Seymour diary. But I don’t think the semicolon was being used properly in there. It was close, though, which makes me pause. What do my fellow grammar nuts think?

Here’s the sentence:

“People think Mother’s mean to me; She’s not.“

Obivously there shouldn’t be a capital letter after the semicolon, but I also think that with such contradictory clauses that have different subjects, a semicolon isn’t strong enough to separate the two; thus, a period would be necessary.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

It's easier to decide between using a comma or a semicolon. It's not as easy to decide between a period or a semicolon. There are few instances where a period would not work where a semicolon is used (to join independent clauses), but the other way around has countless exceptions. A period would certainly be fine here, but I think it's okay to use a semicolon as well. A semicolon in instances like this is a substitute for ",[CONJ]", as in:

People think Mother's mean to me, but she's not.
    Dave likes cupcakes, whereas Sam hates them.

These types of balanced, contradictory sentences are, I think, perfect candidates for semicolons. Just replace the bold part with a semicolon. Stylistically, you might advise that a period has a stronger effect, but a semicolon is not incorrect here.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Blog Entries

Hmm, all right. The statement in question doesn’t seem like a very balanced sentence to me, though, which is one reason I wouldn’t use a semicolon. If it were more parallel, such as “People think Mother’s mean to me; they don’t realize she’s not,” I think that would be more acceptable. It’s a pretty borderline case to me of whether it’s correct.

It's not as balanced as the second example, but the sentences are closely related enough that I think it works. Although even parantheses could work here, if you treat the statement as an aside or commentary:

People think Mother's mean to me (she's not, by the way).

Your Neighborhood Average Joe Purpleberries's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CNN sucks! View Post
    don't even know what a California accent would be, other than the surfer accent and valley girl, which both hail from socal. ebonics is from the Bay Area, but white people don't use ebonics.

I was born in San Jose to parents that had lived there since the early 70s, and raised in the Boise Idaho area. lived in Chicago for a year and a half and have been living in Tidewater Virginia for the last 6 and a half years. If I have any accent it's completely fucked, because there are so many differing cultures in my background right now.
    There isn't really a definitive accent in California. Most people I've encountered lack any real accent. It's almost like General American. But usually in rural areas, a Southern accent can be heard sometimes.

Blog Entries

So...I’m working on using possessives with gerunds correctly in my posts, but this is really confusing stuff to me. In my latest review, I used possessives with what I think are gerunds — they’re certainly not participles — but I’m still not positive I’m doing it correctly. @Nitsy or someone else with this knowledge, could you tell me if this is right? My possessives with what I think are gerunds are in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    So this was...something. The strong point of the episode was defnitely in its jokes. There were quite a few good ones, and the only one that didn’t land for me was the overexplanation of the BRA acronym. Other than that, I’m not sure what they were trying to say with this episode. Were they saying the patriarchy is stupid? Were they saying people oppressing the patriarchy are stupid? It seemed like they were trying to say all those things, but it wound up being super convoluted. Then at the end, Lisa joins the girls. But those girls wanted to ruin the Itchy & Scratchy tapes. Why would Lisa join a group that tried to do something she strongly opposes? Does she think they’re good otherwise? The characterization of Lisa was so weird throughout the entire episode. I can understand Bart’s wanting to join the girls because they pulled pranks, I guess, but I didn’t like the forced conflict they made by having Lisa be mad at him for that. I would think she would embrace her brother being part of that group. Maybe he’d learn something from them.

The BRA group was a decent subplot too. I like Milhouse’s being the group leader and getting some time in the sun. His parents’ being so relieved about his social life and friends was pretty funny too. The sex was disturbing, but not in a bad way. The end with Bart’s telling the group about girls was kind of cute too. Overall, this was a funny episode with weird characterization, and I don’t know if the writers were just bad at trying to get a message across or if they were just trying to have their cake and eat it too regarding both sides. 3/5 I guess.

Yes, those are gerunds. One test of a gerund is if you can replace the entire gerund phrase with a noun or pronoun:

"I understand Bart's wanting to join the girls because..."

"I understand [it] because..."

What you're illustrating here is an issue of prescription vs. description. The use of the possessive here is correct, but it would also be perfectly acceptable to not use it, i.e. to say "I like Milhouse being the group leader", in which case "Milhouse" is not the subject of a finite clause, but rather "Milhouse being the group leader" is the object of "I like". The objection is that subjects and objects require a finite clause, and since this is a non-finite clause, the word "Milhouse" should not be a subject or an object, but should be in some other form, i.e. the possessive. But the fact is that this use of the possessive is dying out in every day speech. And what "Milhouse" represents in this clause is an implied subject ("Milhouse is the group leader" would be the finite version).

Cf. when the non-finite clause modifies a noun, i.e. "I saw the dog wagging its tail". In this sentence, "dog" is the object of "saw". You're saying you saw the dog and it happened to be wagging its tail. But in your sentence, it's not that you like Milhouse and he happens to the group leader, you like the whole clause, "Milhouse being the group leader". ("The dog wagging its tail example" is participial--that's one key difference. You would only use a possessive with a true gerund, not with a participle).

Thread Information