Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Grammar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

I haven't heard of that explanation yet. From what I've heard, the difference is so subtle that it's really a matter of personal preference. I'm accustomed to using colons.

Also,

That's nuch more surprising

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw an offense committed by @pkkao in the Brick Like Me thread that always bothers me. "Unquote" is not a word. The term is "end quote."
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

Aw, crap.

Good to know someone's reading my review, though.

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

I consider "unquote" a word in so far as it's a neologism that is used fairly often.

Blog Entries

Unquote is one of those words that I only use in a phrase, in this case, "quote-unquote." Other than that, the word "unquote" really can't be used anywhere anyway.

Blog Entries

More than one ignoramus: ignorami or ignoramuses?

I always use the latter, but I don't know the full explanation behind it. I think it's something about Latin roots.
    Last edited by pilcrow; 05-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

I believe it actually comes from a Latin verb, in which case the latter is technically correct. Given its reappropriation as a noun and in the interests of sounding good, I use the former, however.

Blog Entries

Bump.

A mistake that's really risen to prominence over the past year: "Everyday" when it should be "every day." "Everyday" is only correct when used as an adjective, e.g. "an everyday occurrence." When used as a noun, it's two words, e.g. "It happens every day."

Blog Entries

*steps up to podium*
    good evening america today i would like to address a tragedy that has risen in prominence over the past year: "everyday" when it should be "every day"

Blog Entries

*raises hand* what about Australia?

Stonecutter
    Blog Entries

I don't care. I'm still going to spell it as everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I guess this is the same Nicholson who did Joker in the Batman 1989 movie.

I'll stick with "errday", thank you.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem typing em dashes and en dashes.

And it doesn't need to say "10 items or tinier." "10 items or fewer" would work just fine. But yes, "less" is incorrect.

Hired Goon

Guilty of "my father split an infinitive once and I did not attend his funeral." And I still stand by that.

Blog Entries

My nickname in high school was “Participles.”
    New TC nickname.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Guilty of "my father split an infinitive once and I did not attend his funeral." And I still stand by that.
    Was the split infinitive the reason for his death as well?

Hired Goon

Certainly not

Blog Entries

Today I learned the difference between "variation" and "variant." I love grammar, because I'm constantly learning new and interesting things about it to improve myself every day.

Banned
    Blog Entries

edit: sorry i thought this was the kelsey grammer thread

the protagonist of reality Two Guys, a Girl, and a kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

new and spectacular ways
    Quote Originally Posted by Spamtasm View Post

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Flibble View Post
    edit: sorry i thought this was the kelsey grammer thread

Oh okay. For a second there, I thought you'd mistaken it for this thread: http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...-ve-ever-heard

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch-Face View Post
    Oh okay. For a second there, I thought you'd mistaken it for this thread: http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...-ve-ever-heard
    Oh thanks for pointing that out to me.

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

You betcha.

So recently I got into a debate with someone about the difference between "people" and "peoples". He seemed to think the sentence "it is the people's problem" was incorrect, in that the apostrophe should follow the "s". However, this changes the meaning of the sentence, because "peoples" means "nations, tribes, etc." and "the peoples' problem" would mean "the problem of the different peoples/nations". But the intended meaning was the problem of people (plural of person). Thus, it should be "the people's problem", same with "The People's Court", etc.

Anyway, just my grammatical $0.02

Blog Entries

Yeah, definitely. I was actually unaware that "peoples" was a legit word. I learned something else!

While growing up, I had always been told English is the hardest language to learn. but my ESL friends tell me that's not true! They think it's very easy. English is the Lingo-Franco of the world.. As it turns out you can make a nice living and do tons of trade & business just knowing the basics. English only gets hard when your faced with native born grammar nazi's..

The next level up called "ESL Business English".. Those hoping to gain employment with higher paying sticklers for proper pronunciation, (who also use this to disguise their xenophobic prejudiced against foreign accents).. This is the hard part people were talking about. but money talks, bull$#!t walks.. If folks really want what you have, then they'll drop the grammar fussiness and over look a little "Engrish" to get some international trade going.

Yeah can't possibly be so hard to learn English enough to survive when so many outside of US are bilingual/multilingual with English frequently being one of those languages they know. I've known more than enough child/adult ESL students growing up to see that was not nearly as hard for them to learn English as it was for most others to learn a foreign language in that same span of time. Locally we already have our unofficial broken Hawaiian Pidgin/Creole English born from foreigners having to learn English so that's likely to skew things, too. As long as you speak English of some kind, you're usually good here
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

While waiting in a Shanghai hotel for my ride to the airport, I saw a Russian & Egyptian businessmen greet a China fellow from Beijing. They shook hands and went over to the comfy seating area to open their briefcases.. (It looked like deal of somekind for copper pipe fittings?) They all began speaking English.

This made so much sense to me, There are about 850 different languages on earth (not counting whale songs) Who has the time to learn each individual one of them? pick up a little English along with your native tongue.. and your ready to go (almost) anywhere.
    English is like the virtual chat room of the unplugged world. Its not because they have a particular fondness of "Englishmen" .. The red seas Sumerian/Semitic tradesmen created this non-exclusive/middle ground alphabet to get business going amongst foreigner travelers. It was amazing for me to see this ancient work around still active today.

And thanks to these new translation apps, getting better and more intuitive each year,.. I am still astounded by the fact me and my driver could hold a conversation speaking into his phones app, waiting a second for the teenie-tiny U.N, translator inside to process,.. and Bam! Two regular fellows that were to stupid/lazy to learn another language were chatting it up! And the new Photo to words translators astound me even more! There a little wonky yet, 75% accurate,..but getting better every year..

I can see myself walking into a Japaneses or German grocery store and using the phones camera to tell me what the hand written words on a store special means.. or plaques on a monument... Tear down the Walls!

Blog Entries

People of the NHC, what lively grammar discussion shall we hold today? I suggest the usage of reflexive pronouns as an incorrect substitute for “me,” you,” etc.

@Nitsy, my linguistic friend. What are your thoughts on this travesty?
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 10-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Thread Information