View Poll Results: How would you rate tonight's episode?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Majestic episode

9 50.00%
  • 4/5 Come back home!

4 22.22%
  • 3/5 Naked to the Limit is outraged

3 16.67%
  • 2/5 DANGER, DANGER!!

2 11.11%
  • 1/5 Should've stayed lost in space

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R American Dad! "Lost in Space" (5/5)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R American Dad! "Lost in Space" (5/5)

May 5, 2013 To get home and off of Roger's home planet, Jeff must prove once and for all to Emperor Zing his love for Hayley.
    As usual, refrain from voting until the episode airs.

Blog Entries

Just an ok episode. Naked to the Limit was definitely better.

I liked Sinbad, but Jeff himself just isn't a very funny character. He works best when he's rebounding with someone else. The fact that this was Jeff-only? Suck my balls!!!!

It was entertaining, but a letdown. 3/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

That was a fun episode, almost make me wish it was a two parter

4/5

Blog Entries

A two-parter could've been cool. I think it's just weird that out of all of the things they could've done, they went with this. Shame on you, Mr. Mike Barker for writing this episode.

Blog Entries

That was REALLY different for American Dad. But I like how they're trying new things, because that was really interesting to watch and great to see of more of Roger's planet and having them develop Jeff's character. I really loved this one.

Like other's said it wasn't the funniest episode. But you know what? I don't mind because it still really caught my attention and entertained me throughout anyway. Not to mention that it was really creative and they made full use of the planet, different angles, and an emotional arc. Honestly I never thought much of Jeff before but now i'm really liking his character. They added a lot to him. One of my favourites of the season.

And not showing the rest of the family completely worked here as this episode had a totally different mood to it. At times I felt like I was watching an old Futurama episode.

Also, that Roger cameo was just gold.

5/5

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

Yeah needed to be a two-parter. Way too rushed and extremely disappointed Roger was only in an (admittedly funny) cameo and not part of the story. Didn't live up to the hype but it was kinda funny sometimes and had some heart. 3.5/5.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow this episode was pretty bad...from a comedic standpoint. I'll give it a 1/5 from a comedy standpoint. The plot was kinda dull as well also the twist ending with the Emperor I saw coming a MILE away. I kept thinking to myself "It's gonna be ******" and it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I mostly agree with Swoony.

This was a pretty creative showing and managed to feel particularly different for American Dad. The visual gags involving the aliens weren't bad (and as mentioned, some of them reminded me of Futurama), and the humor seemed a little less snarky/cheap and more earnest than usual. It was definitely a story-driven show, and one that actually worked well in that regard.

I was pretty fascinated by all the different aliens' designs too--pretty neat how they managed to make a variety of different "Rogers" (who already has a pretty basic look). I'm digging this arc so far in the plot and I hope Jeff has a bit more difficulty getting back to Earth because the show does sci-fi pretty decently. If they do another episode in this vein, though, I would like to see the family (somehow) get involved, even if it's in an unrelated subplot.

4/5 B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

This kinda felt like the cap to the arc to me, honestly.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guess I'm the only one who hated it. Anyway I hope "Da Flippty Flop" or whatever it's called is better. I was more excited/interested in that one anyway.

Azarath metrion zinthos! Sweet_Potatoes's Avatar

So I must say, I really liked it! I thought it was quite interesting! The different creatures, the ship, everything. The voice acting was superb, particularly by Michael McKeane. And the plot twist with why the Emperor does what he does....the very moment I heard he was heartbroken, I knew Roger was responsible for it. I felt bad for Zing having to deal with everything being destroyed, and I DON'T feel sorry for Roger anymore.

Jeff's characterization was good. I've always liked Jeff, and I'm glad he was clever enough to get out of there on his own. The woman he befriended was cool...that was an interesting twist with her pretending to be Hayley, and I liked the joke with drunk Tony.

However, I do have a few gripes: I wanted Roger and Hayley, and perhaps even Stan, to come get Jeff. And I would have loved to see Roger and Zing go at it, and for Roger to find out that his selfishness was the reason he was abandoned (was it? It feels like it would be but no one else seemed aware of what happened between him and Zing.) The appearance of the girl he screwed over in "Brains" would have been nice, too. I don't know what made Barker decided to cut those things out: they were obvious ideas before the episode was even made. But I can't say I didn't enjoy it, because the route Barker decided to take was very well done.

Also, that ending....Jeff better not just randomly appear in the next episode and everyone act like nothing happened, especially Hayley and Roger. The scene that ran over the credits could have been used for Hayley to be delighted at his return and at least a cameo of everyone else, not the return of Sinbad.

And I really wanted to see Roger's PLANET, not just the ship!

Blog Entries

That wasn't bad. Lots of cool aliens in there. The story wasn't all that interesting, though.

^So stupid me posted my review in the general discussion first....

I understand that Barker wanted a movie deal, but he could have made this a two parter or even a three parter if he wanted....each part could have ended with a cliffhanger. I personally wouldn't have minded seeing it like that. I'd love to ask Barker what possessed him to go this route....I mean, with the way I'm complaining it sounds like I hated it, which I didn't, but I still think they could have added something more to it. If not Roger's past, at least a definitive ending.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Really great, easily one of the most entertaining and original episodes on FOX Animation this year. It was creative and focused in it's sci-fi in the way that classic episodes of Futurama were. The creatures were funny and clever (love the shape-shifter gags, which also provided a nice way to involve Hayley more), and even though it wasn't AD at its humorous heights, still some typically funny lines and gags. But what really makes it stand out is that its the story that kinda reaffirms Jeff/Hayley as a couple. To hinge the meaning of their relationship on a Jeff Fischer sci-fi odyssey is a great idea, and the ending with Jeff planning to search each Earth one by one until he got to Hayley was very sweet.

I like the idea that, even indirectly, Roger caused problems for Jeff thanks to his past amorous behavior. And on that note, the alien ship being ruled by a love-hating emperor that Jeff has to overcome is a pretty good concept for the episodes theme. As I said earlier the use of "Majestic" was really perfect and just made for a fantastic scene, and the callback later was cool.

I could give a couple demerits for the excessive Sinbad material and the end tag which didn't really need to exist, but why bother? All in all it's just an episode that reaffirms, even past it's peak, this is one of the better shows on TV, and they are immensely creative at times.
    Last edited by MindQuad; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Yeah needed to be a two-parter. Way too rushed and extremely disappointed Roger was only in an (admittedly funny) cameo and not part of the story. Didn't live up to the hype but it was kinda funny sometimes and had some heart. 3.5/5.
    I think being a two-parter would be a bit excessive here, because as it is it's a pretty experimental episode for AD. Maybe if they went in a different direction with the Smiths traveling to space and finding Jeff I could see it, but as a Jeff Fischer solo episode it was fine. Also, it's more or less a two-parter when combined with "Naked To The Limit".

I should also add I didn't really mind the Smiths not being involved. But Stan and Roger going on some big adventure out in space to save Jeff would be a bit of a stretch. This version at least made logical sense as a way for Jeff to get back home whilst having to prove his love for Hayley.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

^I definitely agree. This was the least far fetched idea they had, other ideas might have been unbelievable. I also think Mike went this route because he was worried, for some time, about fans clamoring for more of this stuff and not caring about the regular show anymore. He didn't want fans to turn away just because they saw Roger's planet and decided they didn't care about the Smiths anymore. If only showing us a ship and making it go a different route than what was expected is what it took to prevent that, then I'm ok with it.

I've got that majestic song stuck in my head....

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, Startug, Swoony

Blog Entries

I was half hoping for Jeff to actually reach the smith house at the end of the episode and for us to see the Smith's reactions of his return.

Hopefully we'll get some conclusion next week? But who knows if next week is in the right production order.
    Last edited by Swoony; 05-05-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Blog Entries

even as a jeff solo iit seemed compacted. they had to add a scene in the credits and shorten the opening for gods sake.

Banned

I give it a 4.5/5. This was great but I agree it should've been a two parter, hence why I didn't give it a 5/5. I saw the Roger cameo coming for a mile away but it was still executed well, and I can't get The Majestic song out of my head.

Blog Entries

There was a scene in the credits???

Blog Entries

yep

Blog Entries

What happened?

Honestly wasn't expecting one because 99% of the time ad episodes don't have one. The last time I remember them doing one was in the ep where was when hayley played that prank on steve to make him think he's sleeping when he's not.

Blog Entries

sinbad came back as a ghost in an obi-wan like uniform and told him to get to earth so he can find some ghost bitches.

Blog Entries

Well that sounds pretty stupid anyway.

Blog Entries

it was ok

It was a waste of end credits that could have been used for what @Swoony suggested.

Maybe Jeff's and Roger's not being shown in those "Da Flippity Flop" storyboards are a result of this episode.

Blog Entries

Roger is appearing in the episode. He and Steve have a B plot.

Blog Entries

Yeah and Roger wasn't even in this one besides a cameo that took place decades ago so why wouldn't he?

I think the episode also deserves credit for the really great world-building they did with the alien spaceship. It felt fleshed out really nicely.

Thread Information