View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-Leader!

18 15.38%
  • 4/5: Jiminy jillickers, Batman!

32 27.35%
  • 3/5: Day or Knight

37 31.62%
  • 2/5: I'll sue Al Jean

15 12.82%
  • 1/5: The Dark Knight Fails

15 12.82%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Dark Knight Court" (RABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Dark Knight Court" (RABF10)

March 17th, 2013: Lisa comes to her brother's defense when Bart is accused of an Easter prank involving the school marching band, the horn section and some rotten eggs. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns seizes the opportunity to realize his lifelong ambition to become a superhero. Discuss!

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

really? you people have to comment and one of you fucking voted before it aired? My god.

Blog Entries

Awful episode. Boring and not funny. Special criticism for the Mike Rotch scene and the "Fruit bat man" thing as a whole. And that ending with the tractor. F/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Possibly the worst episode of the series (so far).

It was so bad that while watching it, I couldn't believe it was real.

Janet reno was the best part.. and she was just awful.

It was so bad it gave my cancer... cancer.... and super aids.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-17-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Anyone see the dedication to Rob Reno in the credits?
    Last edited by tormented; 03-21-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: two years too late, but i finally replaced that shitty pic

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

It was bad, but nowhere near worst of series, probably not even worst of this season
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

So far, nothing has been great or objectionable, so I'll just post random shit.

-I did get a good chuckle from the blackboard gag.
    -Burns's dad has the same design from Rosebud, but with a different voice and personality.
    -I don't know about you, but I found the run-on gag with Homer conducting the band pretty funny. The fireworks at the end were hysterical!

ACT TWO:

The main plot seems really disjointed and hard to follow, and... Janet Reno? Really?

The subplot - they clearly don't know how to write for Mr. Burns anymore. The whole "superhero angle" was just an excuse for doing jokes about an old and weak man. His presence did feel a bit more ominous than recent years, but that still isn't enough.

ACT THREE:

How DARE they make a reference to the Mike Rotch joke! They took a great classic era joke and made it into a lame run-on joke featuring the dreaded why crybaby Moe Syzlak. Do they REALLY have to explain what the pun means? Any five year old child would know Mike Rotch = My Crotch. It made me wish I was watching that episode instead.

ACT FOUR:

This... I just don't have anything else to say. They could easily tell it was a smashed egg against the kilt? That easily pointed to Willie? Maybe it was somebody setting him up?

Also, Moe now KNOWS Bart was crank calling him?

OVERALL:

Typical Zombie Simpsons ilk. Plain and simple. 2/5 (D)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    It was bad, but nowhere near worst of series, probably not even worst of this season
    What episode did you watch!?!?!

I think this episode is beyond FG retardation.

I want to punch the writers, and break their laptops and fingers, lol.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Blog Entries

For this season, it was decent. I sort of liked the whole Fruit-Bat Man thing, and the whole court thing with Bart and Lisa was pretty meh, although I did like the call-back to the Mike Rotch prank call, as that's one of my favorites. I also kind of liked how the a-story and the b-story connected in the end, it's been a while since they've done something like that. It was nice to see Mr. Burns back in the spotlight again, but they could've done more with the whole Fruit-Bat Man thing. Also, STOP BRINGING CHALMERS IN EVERY FUCKING TIME SKINNER IS ON-SCREEN! I MEAN JESUS CHRIST!

3.5/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh, a solid 3/5...and I don't know if it was dully average or I'm voting out of shock it wasn't super-terrible.

I got a few laughs and they all came from Janet Reno, who actuallly read her lines without sounding like she was reading off a cue card.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    Possibly the worst episode of the series.

It was so bad while watching it I couldn't believe it was real.

Janet reno was the best part.. and she was just awful.

It was so bad it gave my cancer... cancer.... and super aids.
    It was worse than "A Splintered Thing"?

I was only half paying attention, but I liked a lot of the jokes in this one.
    Since I wasn't paying close attention, I'll reserve any comment on the story for a future rewatch
    I HIGHLY doubt it was the worst of the series

What I liked:
    Wiggum shooting eggs
    His amusement is tantamount to culpability
    FruitBatman
    Mike Rotch callback
    helicopter joke
    Janet Reno's last line

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mr. Burns was sooo out of character and it was just plain dumb, nothing was funny, it was painful.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Teddy

Blog Entries

Wow I actually ended up enjoying this much more than I was expecting. I really enjoyed both stories, and the Burns one I honestly expected to hate. They met up well at the end too. This was probably my favorite episode since Prep School. I thought Janet Reno actually got some funny lines like the Bush slam(you can never have too many as far as I'm concerned) and the billionaires line. The family laughing at Lisa's a Simpson never gives up line was great, particularly Maggie and Marge. I enjoyed Moe's testimonial and its callback and several other bits I won't mention to avoid this becoming another list review. I do get the sense that many of the jokes that worked for me will be bashed here but oh well. And of course they re-wrote Mr. Burns' history yet again but I didn't mind. I still hated that last scene with a resurrected Mrs. Glick and hoped they removed it but oh well. I'd still consider this top 5 of the season so far material and a solid 4/5, for me of course.

Oh, I laughed hard at Burns complaining about having to hold down the light at the Kwik-E-Mart, he had several one liners I enjoyed actually.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    What episode did you watch!?!?!

I think this episode is beyond FG retardation.

I want to punch the writers.
    Batman and Robin (1997) was funnier than this episode.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Mid or kinda high 3/5. Some moments were good. Wasn't a fan of the subplot with the eggs and crap. The beginning of it was fine, but the court... just go to REAL court, not this school crap.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

This would have made a good clip show.

Highly mediocre show. The whole Burns subplot was horrible and unfunny, and I think they could have made a better episode had they focused on the whole Bart-Lisa courtcase plot. 2/5
    Top Five Episodes: The PTA Disbands, Last Exit to Springfield, Mr. Plow, Marge vs. the Monorail and Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A clip show would have been nice compared to this.

It was like a bad THOH with another Bart is actually innocent side plot that we've already seen before.. but with better guest stars.

Even Matt G's silent cameo was stupid.

The pacing was also bad and strange.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-17-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm, um...not really sure what to make of this. The entire Burns plot was pretty bad. It was basically a hodgepodge of "LOL Burns is weak" jokes. But it was so ridiculous that it might actually get a pass. I don't know if the writers were intentionally trying to be over-the-top ridiculous or if they just didn't realize what the fuck they were doing. The court plot was better. We actually got some good mileage out of a guest star, and it was fairly interesting, I guess. But the Mike Rotch callback...NO. Not only is this completely breaking the character of Moe with his blubbering breakdown, now he knows it's Bart? Thanks a lot. Overall...I just don't know. I gave it a 1, but I think it could be as high as a 3. This is one I'll definitely need to watch again.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

i get it. bruce wayne is old; that is what real elderly super heroes would be like. that's a decent idea, but the way it was done wasn't funny or well considered, such that it came across as more than a little lame. i think the major factor that contributed to that impression was that they used burns instead of one of the other elderly springfieldians. i can't help but draw comparisons between the burns of two cars in every garage, three eyes on every fish and the burns of this episode. actually, i wouldn't be half upset if they used burns in a different way, like the way this plot demanded, IF it was done for a good reason. but an entire episode featuring stock standard jokes about how an elderly man would act if he was a superhero seems like a stretch. this part of the episode would be better suited for one joke. instead, the one joke was stretched over a good 10 min or so.

the other story was very dull and verged on being bad. that mike rotch scene dragged (notice they couldn't come up with a new one?), as did the bit where homer was conducting the band. incidentally, i'd like to add another entry to the list of current problems with homer: his retarded facial expressions. watch the conducting scene again. they weren't dominant but i think you'd catch my meaning if you saw it again. they're a recurring problem and janet reno? i didn't catch the end credits but couldn't they get someone a little better?

drawn out and dull. the mike rotch thing was actually a good idea. bring people that bart has offended out and show how they've been affected, almost like the seinfeld finale. instead of that, we got an entire episode out of what should have been a throwaway gag.

D (2/5)
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just picture someone showing you this episode in the 90's and saying behold the future of this show.

You'd hate it b/c it's not but bad pop culture gags (you'd not get) that aren't timeless, terrible characterization and just plain bored voice acting.

If I had a time machine and could show Matt G. this epiosde when he was still young and cared... his head would explode.

The sad thing is.. this is what you get after 24 seasons of any show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I'd still consider this top 5 of the season so far material and a solid 4/5, for me of course.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Oh, I did like the bat signal chopper gag I guess... and that Burns STOLE a keylight, at least that is in character.

A 0.1/5 overall.

If Bill Oakley and Josh W. wrote this instead, Burns would have still been evil while trying to be good and the b plot woud've rocked and it would have made you think.

It was so poorly written we had to have some terrible flashback bs backstory with Burns and (a new) father just to get him a comic book in his hands.

Blog Entries

it's not exactly a strong season if it makes you feel better Boots, 4/5 is the highest grade for me to this point.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

kudos to alf clausen for his version of the batman music in this episode. unless it actually was the batman music. that wouldn't surprise me, because it was spot on.

Not bad, though it definitely was a little too wacky at times.

Both plots had their fair share of strengths and weaknesses. I almost wish they had each gotten their own episode (the court plot in particular could have been taken much farther with more stakes and more jokes about justice and the court system in general), but then again they tied together fairly well with each other at the end, even if it was kind of obvious how they would intersect. Gag wise, I actually liked this episode a fair bit, there were enough gags in each story that I liked, such as the band formations, the various set-ups for Mr. Burns, and even the Moe gag, which was admittedly a little too drawn out. The main plot with the court ironically was my lesser liked story. The fact that it had to split time with the subplot kept it from being as dramatic or serious as it could have been. It didn't seem like there were real stakes behind the court since we don't really know what they intend to do with Bart if he is found guilty, and there should have been bigger revelations in the court besides a basic defense has their say, then prosecution has their say. I was surprised to see that was an actual guest voice for Janet Reno, it sounded like Tress MacNeille doing a deep voice. She wasn't terrible, she just didn't need to be there, and her joke about George W. Bush was pretty lame too.

Strangely, it was the subplot with Burns made me much happier. It was admittedly kind of out-of-character for Burns to want to be a superhero, especially since we are led at first to think he's going to be a super-villain instead, and I kind of just wanted Burns to be feeble and pointless in the final climax, that might have been funnier. That said, I did find it funny to see the lengths Smithers was going through to keep his senile boss happy. It wasn't all that important until the main plot decided to let this story in, but I found it kind of enjoyable in a light and care-free way. Even the sequence after the primary credits was a lot of fun to watch, and unlike the Logorama parody from earlier this season, it funny and kind of fitting despite being pointless. I think we just have to accept that sometimes the writers will come up with sequences or gags that don't fit into the episode, so they'll stick it in where they can, usually at the end of the episode. That's a problem if it is too long or unfunny, but I thought this was funny and didn't outstay it's welcome. I can see people not liking it though.

On a completely pointless sidenote, I wonder if this subplot with Mr. Burns was in any way a response to a Make-A-Wish foundation project a few years ago where a dying boy was given a chance to save the day in a superhero costume, with his family, friends, and entire neighborhood playing along for him. I don't have all the details, so look it up if you want.

I kind of liked this episode, though it really was too flawed for me to say it was great or even good. I would give it a 3/5.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Banned
    Blog Entries

I thought the music was weak as well.

It wasn't the real stuff (WB would never) and it wasn't spot on, it was very weak sounding and wasn't fun.

Also they forgot the best joke of all, that in Nolan's films the score drowns out half of all dialougue.

It would have been funny to see Burns try to yell over the loud score and fall over out of breath.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was afraid there were going to be a bunch of Smithers gay jokes. But I don't think there were any. That made me happy.

Also, I haven't given any episode this year a 1/5. I don't know if I'm getting too lax, or of no episodes this season truly deserve one. I sort of forced myself to give this a 1.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Also I thought the whole episode could have worked had they just stayed with one plot.

And the Moe stuff, that should have played.. but it didn't surrounded by a shit 'sode.

It really felt like modern FG.

Thread Information