Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Simon diagnosed with terminal cancer

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Sam Simon diagnosed with terminal cancer

Very sad news, everybody, one of people who made the Simpsons the show we all love only has a few more months left to live

Howard Stern Show regular Sam Simon revealed Monday that doctors estimate he has only months to live now that the colorectal cancer he was diagnosed with in 2012 has now metastasized and spread to his other organs.

Simon revealed the grim news on Howard 100 reporter Jon Leiberman's weekday news show "Leiberman: Live at 5" on Howard 101. Simon said he was all ready to set sail with The Sea Shepherds to stop illegal Japanese whalers last year when doctors gave him the bad news.

"I had all my stuff ready to go for the adventure of my life, but instead I got a different kind of adventure...I’ve had the greatest life in the world. So, when it comes to talking about disappointments, they’re very high end disappointments, and there's not many of them, but this [missing the trip] would be the biggest one.”

Simon said that he got the cancer diagnosis about five months ago, when a doctor reluctantly estimated that he had three to six months to live.

"The diagnosis was--I was feeling bad for a couple years, and I was diagnosing myself from television talk shows, so I was taking antidepressants and I was trying to get my testosterone levels up...but then it turned out my primary cancer was colon cancer that had spread to my liver, kidneys, abdominal connective tissues and my lymph system and maybe my brain. They're not sure about that."
    Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/sam-...tasized-cancer

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Goddamnit.

Sam, you helped create one of the greatest things in my life and the world of TV is going to be even more empty without you.

Thanks for everything, Sam. We will all sincerely miss you.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

There was some speculation that he had cancer a week ago on another forum and given some of his tweets it seemed pretty clear.

Incredibly sad to hear that it's terminal. Here's hoping he can pull through, somehow. If there's one word to describe Sam it's "character"; writing his Wikipedia page was a joy and he's certainly led one hell of varied life. And no small part of that is helping to craft the greatest TV show ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    There was some speculation that he had cancer a week ago on another forum and given some of his tweets it seemed pretty clear.
    I had seen some twitter pictures of his where he posted medicine associated with cancer and that he was walking with a cane, but it's sad to see it confirmed and being the worst case scenario.

We love you Sam, where would we all have been without you?

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Fuck.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Thank you for telling us about this, @Matty. There is a lot of pride Mr. Simon can take home from his accomplishments, and I hope he'll be able to spend the time with family and loved ones, without pain.

Blog Entries

this is incredibly sad news

I hope to god he makes it through... he like many people was a one of a kind. He's the kind of person who's really done so much for not just his fans, but also for his friends, family, his three dogs. Remember not just that he was the co-developer of The Simpsons, but try to remember him as a unreplaceable person that brought laughter, friendly lessons, and joyous moments to many people throughout the world. Let's all hope the guy makes it through.

Here's yesterdays interview where he reveals his cancer, starts at 6:10:

This just sucks

that's really sad news. he's had a pretty decent life though eh? put together and ran one of the greatest shows of all time, earns a mega fortune each year, does immense charity work for animal rights (which ought to be congratulated more than his work on the simpsons imo), and wiki says that he once married a playboy playmate!

what a life! if it's indeed terminal here's hoping that he goes out with as little pain as possible.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

The Smart Simpson LittleMissLisaSimpson's Avatar

This is really sad news

"Trust in yourself & you can achieve anything" - Lisa Simpson
    Favourite Season - Season 4

in related news, i found a recent picture of him

user title goes here Fudgeberry Sauce's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is really sad news, but at least Sam can be happy that he created what is probably the greatest show in television history Here's hoping he pulls through it.

Also, 9 Emmys! That's freaking impressive!

Well wishes to a TV legend, not only for his involvement with the Simpsons but also Cheers and Taxi. Thanks for all the great TV you provided us over the years.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is, indeed, sad news.

Not a good way to start the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Tyrant laps Cheerios milk! D DEBBS's Avatar

DAMN!!!!!

Thinking of you, Sam.

Damn, very sad to hear.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?! HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

This is horrible.

person who looks like a thing Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awful news. At least he lived a fulfilling life. May he enjoy his last days. Thanks for the laughs, Sam.
    Favourite/least favourite by seasons that I own (somewhat stolen from Financial Panther):

3 - Bart the Lover/When Flanders Failed 4 - Homer's Triple Bypass/So it's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5 - Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadassssss Song/Bart's Inner Child 6 - And Maggie Makes Three/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7 - Bart Sells His Soul/Homerpalooza 8 - Homer's Enemy/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9 - King of the Hill/Trash of the Titans 10 - Wild Barts Can't Be Broken/Make Room for Lisa

Now in Canadian Form! N Wilbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He was vital in the production of The Simpsons and it probably wouldn't have existed without him. His name appears on every Simpsons episode ever alongside Matt Groening and James L Brooks, and he will remain immortal for exactly that even after he dies.

Thanks for making my life, and so many others', better.

Best wishes.

That's a damn shame. His work on The Simpsons and others raised the bar for all the shows that came after.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well... that sux.

But he could always live longer than expected.

I have a relative with almost no liver left and the doctors told him that he'll be dead very soon (think weeks), and he's still going one year later.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 03-12-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Now in Canadian Form! N Wilbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    Well... that sux.

But he could always live longer than expected.

I have a realitive with almost no liver left and the doctors said you'll be dead very soon (think weeks), and he's still going one year later.
    Yeah, that happens sometimes. Unfortunately that's quite unlikely, though.

Let's all hope that the episode that ends being dedicated to him is a brilliant one, otherwise it'll seem pretty bad. It'll probably be the Season 24 finale or something.

Sad news.

"'If you leave out Sam Simon,'' Jon Vitti says, ''you're telling the managed version. He was the guy we wrote for.'' Jay Kogen, a former producer at the show, agrees. ''Sam had this amazing conception of Springfield,'' he recalls. ''He kept expanding the idea. He knew the freedom that animation provides and utilized it to the full extent. The big story at the time was 'Cartoonist breaks through into TV.' It could also have been, just as easily, 'Old-time TV producer breaks through into TV.' ''

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/ma...l?pagewanted=4 (2001)

Added a piece here too: http://www.snpp.com/news.html#samsimon
    Last edited by Jouni; 03-12-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: URL added

Learn the Simpsons Geek Code!

Will Cosby Impersonator Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This sucks, I don't know what to say but thank you Sam for helping make the simpsons.
    I hope his family will be alright too.
    Paul Giamatti's plumber knows me by name
    .............My Twitter

i'm a driver i'm a winner Frightened Turkey No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this is really sad.

He created the best show ever, and there's a good chance it wouldn't have existed without him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Terrible news. It's a damn shame and really quite sad; there is no doubt he will be missed and very much remembered.

Blog Entries

Terrible news.

Thanks for the Simpsons! Will he remain credited for the Simpsons?

Thread Information