View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 I'd watch episodes of this quality every week, rain or shine!

15 13.04%
  • 4/5 If the writers of this ever need a favor, just look for the happiest member of nohomers!

27 23.48%
  • 3/5 Calm down, Neddly diddily, doodily. They did their best shodaiddily iddily diddily diddily!

32 27.83%
  • 2/5 You might even say, I hate this episode, and my parents! Lousy beatniks!

24 20.87%
  • 1/5 And if I see this one again, I'm gonna run someone over with my car!

17 14.78%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Black-Eyed, Please" (RABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Black-Eyed, Please" (RABF09)

March 10th, 2013: Flanders becomes jealous when his laid-back parents start to prefer Homer's company over his and he faces unbearable guilt after punching Homer in the eye, as he desperately tries to reconcile with him. Meanwhile, Lisa is distressed by her new substitute teacher (guest voice Tina Fey), who bullies her for no apparent reason. Discuss!

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kris

Blog Entries

Meh. It was weird and not too funny. Didn't care for the subplot much either.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

watched this because i kept it on after american dad (even though i vowed not to) the teacher hated lisa or something. 1/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Apart from the cringeworthy couch gag, I enjoyed the first act. The jokes were more hit than miss and Tina Fey is giving a great guest performance. My only complaint was the changing of Ned's mother's name, but I guess they did that to avoid confusion with Mona Simpson.

ACT TWO:

More jokes I liked: Mr. Dick Testiclees, Chalmers bullying Skinner, Grampa trying to fit into the sweater and Flanders considering graham crackers and milk a "sleep aid." The only cringeworthy joke was the Smithers "fisting" reference.

ACT THREE:

All right, now it's starting to get stupid with Homer wanting Ned's wife. It was still good up to that point, though.

ACT FOUR:

Oh, lol. That was a good cheat right there. Played early judgers like me like a pair of spoons. And we got an actual explanation as to why Ms. Cantwell hated Lisa! A big plus!

OVERALL:

Wow, I can't believe I'm actually praising a new episode! I'm going to give this one of my extremely rare 5s. It earned it! 5/5 (A-)
    Last edited by Irvine; 03-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Eh, not great, not terrible, just OK
    It's still really weird for me to see Ned and Edna in bed together, Ugghh.
    Things I liked:
    Lisa's Substitute parallels
    It's not really chinchilla, I just thought she needed more sleep
    It was medicinal. We had a pain in our neck
    "whoremonger" Flag that one for later
    Smithers: What's this about a fisting? the randomness killed me
    And here comes the Tarp!

I can tell that this was a pretty good one!!
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought this was pretty funny, minus the usual Sideshow Mel annoying as fuck scene, not to mention the "obvious dirty nickname" of Mrs. Cantwell.

4/5.

Although the lack of magical robots and stupid, unlikeable characters makes me think "Oh, that's Rasberry" is giving this a 1/5 as we type.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

This one feels a bit weird on my initial watch. It felt like it moved very rapidly, not having enough time for plot points to breathe before we got to the next thing. Dialogue seemed notably unnatural, especially in the Ned story. At the same time I definitely enjoyed how the two plots wound up coming together and the ultimate resolution was fine, though again rushed. Humor was mixed but I liked several of the one liners. This is more of a nerd nitpick but I was kinda irked that older Ned's parents got a new design since we saw them last season. I definitely enjoyed Ned's dad's LBJ line near the beginning. Not too much else to say atm just avery fast awkward pace to me, maybe it'll be better on a re-watch. Low 3/5, weaker than last week I think.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post

Although the lack of magical robots and stupid, unlikeable characters makes me think "Oh, that's Rasberry" is giving this a 1/5 as we type.
    Why? Are you my Miss Cantwell?

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

UP AND ATOM!

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Both plots for this episode defied all logic.

Homer was in full-fledged jerkass mode; especially contrasted with the behaviour that drove Grimes to suicide. I'd have punched him, too.
    Hated that they made Flanders' parents token hippies instead of developing them into actual characters.

Lisa was a pretentious grade-grubbing kissass to her teacher which made Cantwell's initial behaviour towards her actually justified.
    The comments in the last act with her accusing Edna of dating Bart and then being threatened by Lisa's beauty... I mean, c'mon.
    Anything else would have been more compelling. Even the initial copout answer of some people just won't like you would have been better.
    Also hated that Lisa just went and cried for help instead of tackling this obstacle on her own. She didn't even break out the poindextrose.

I'll probably settle on a 2 out of 5 because I liked some of the jokes. The bullies in the detention scene were used well once again.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Seeing Homer getting stoned with Ned's parents was painful.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    it was on in the background i didn't really watch it. also i didn't watching kirking or grampa.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Threatened by beauty? What?
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

Blog Entries

@zartok-35 Yeah what the actual fuck was that?

And the synopsis made it look like Ned's parents would play a much bigger role in this. I was quite dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

i found homer irritating and one-dimensional. it wasn't that he was a jerk, it was that he was loud and insane. the typical latter jean era characterisation, which i've complained about elsewhere. i found the lisa plot outrageous since i had no idea why the woman hated lisa so much. in the end the explanation made sense, i guess, though it was baffling at the time. i thought it was kind of clever when i found out the reason why though. using bart as the solution was alright though.

2/5. C-
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

5/5: that was amazing. Second best of the season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knifey_Spoony View Post
    @zartok-35 Yeah what the actual fuck was that?

And the synopsis made it look like Ned's parents would play a much bigger role in this. I was quite dissapointed.
    i never got it when people say what the actual fuck. is it when what the fuck just isn't enough??

Blog Entries

I guess so. I don't look that far into casual phrases.

Man. This is... mixed.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was one of those episodes where the quality of the subplot far exceeds that of the main plot. The main plot is just paper-thin: Homer does bad, Ned punches him, Homer refuses to punch him back. Homer does bad again, Ned punches him again, Homer refuses to punch him back and gets him to help with Lisa's problem. That's it. That's the whole fucking main plot. The subplot saves this episode. Miss Cantwell is a genuinely interesting character, and I was interested in why Miss Cantwell hated Lisa. The conclusion that she's pretty? Meh. Could've been worse.

Anyway, this episode did have some big flaws aside from the terrible main plot. I could see a lot of jokes in this episode coming from a mile away, such as "I want your wife." Very little originality with much of them. And the "fisting" joke...UGH. Can they please use Smithers for more than just gay jokes now? Please? That was disgusting. Also, Homer was quite annoying throughout much of this episode, highlighted mostly in the meeting with Skinner and (guess who?) Chalmers. SKINNER IS AN INDEPENDENT CHARACTER. STOP BRINGING IN CHALMERS.

So yeah, this episode wasn't very good. Due to the decent subplot, I'll be generous and give it a 2/5.

I was expecting an episode snot so bad, but I was really surprised positively. It's been awhile since we had an episode from this season that was so satisfying. I am pleased with the quality of the episode tonight. The two stories are both very good. It is my great pleasure to see that Ned's parents were very well agree with Homer. The two stories are the perfect length being about half and half of the episode, if they were longer it would have been boring, but the length of both was very good. I laughed a few times, but I do not remember much of the gags except that gags with Homer who did like he died with is biiiiiiiipppp because Ned has disconnected something that really was not related to its survival. Also, I really liked the fact that both stories come to a common point at the end of the episode. I liked it and it is not my final grade, but it will be around 3,75/5 and 4 in the poll.

I haven't even watched this episode and I hate the ending of the subplot already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    I haven't even watched this episode and I hate the ending of the subplot already.
    I agree. The ending of the subplot was stupid.

Wich one is the subplot?

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I find it so unnerving that I've been in full agreement with Financial Panther the last half-dozen or so episodes.
    The guy hates Last Exit to Springfield, Lisa on Ice, Separate Vocations... and all of a sudden we're in sync on Season 24.
    We love the same episodes, we hate the same episodes. I'm so weirded out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_Darkness View Post
    Wich one is the subplot?
    The Lisa one, I believe.

Yeah, because the title references the Homer/Ned plot, so that's probably the main one (although Exit Through the Kwik-E-Mart from Season 23 was named after an extremely minor subplot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    And the "fisting" joke...UGH. Can they please use Smithers for more than just gay jokes now? Please? That was disgusting.
    Best joke of the episode. So random and perfectly timed. Only time I actually laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    Yeah, because the title references the Homer/Ned plot, so that's probably the main one (although Exit Through the Kwik-E-Mart from Season 23 was named after an extremely minor subplot.)
    Yes this is making sense, thanks

Thread Information