View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 I choo-choo-choose this episode!

4 3.51%
  • 4/5 I wanna bee friends with this episode!

7 6.14%
  • 3/5 Love is average.

21 18.42%
  • 2/5 Love means never having to say you're sorry....but maybe Tim Long should anyway.

31 27.19%
  • 1/5 Love is dead.

51 44.74%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Love is a Many-Splintered Thing" (RABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Love is a Many-Splintered Thing" (RABF07)

February 10, 2013 When Mary Spuckler returns to Springfield Bart fails to give her enough attention which strains their relationship. Meanwhile Homer finds himself at odds with Marge once again and in the doghouse. Discuss!

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

So, Bart's pretending to be Woody Allen and narrating how he didn't appreciate that he had a good girl who liked him... ZzZzZzZ... who cares? Why can't be be ten years old? Also, Mary aged and Bart didn't - but that show doesn't care. Also, she's going after a much younger boy. Blechh...

ACT TWO:

Now, Bart's with Mary at some stupid awards show that makes no sense and she's invited to go on a date with the son of a record producer who comes out of nowhere. What the fuck am I watching? Also, the French Canadian the Spuckler girls used to practice kissing... what a disturbing joke. WTF, writers?

ACT THREE:

So, now the episode becomes a morality tale about how awful women are when Woody Allen magically jumps out of a poster. Then Marge throws them out for no reason. Yeah... I'm really struggling to make it through this shitty episode...

ACT FOUR:

So, yeah, Mary gets even older and then marries that record producer whatever he is. And then he dies. And the episode is over and I want to barf.

So, this episode was just... nothing. A really bad nothing. Second worst of the season, behind Homer Goes to Prep School. 1/5 (F)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Well, that was something...

What I liked:
    That fact that this might be Mary's last episode.
    Milhouse's parents planning to ditch him.
    Mary's 2nd song.
    Homer's hole in the underwear.
    Cletus's mule taking a "nap".

What I didn't like:
    The fact that Mary just sort of appears back in Springfield with no explanation (not much of one, anyway).
    The live-action movie in the theater (I don't get it).
    Woody Allen (Really? Just... Really?)
    Mary's 1st song (it was worst than the one from "Moonshine River").

All in all, it was better than Moonshine River, but that's not saying much. At all. I'll give it a 3/5.

Blog Entries

It was very dull. Also, if Zooey shows up again I'll go on a rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey lol what happened to your "cats'.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

At the time of watching this episode I had been awake for roughly 24 straight hours, which doesn't seem like much but leaves me very tired. Because of that I'm not going to vote on the poll until I can watch this again while well rested on the off chance that my opinion on it changes. If it doesn't I genuinely think this might be the worst episode since Greatest Story Ever D'ohed....and maybe even worse than that God help me. There were a couple jokes and references I enjoyed that I'm already forgetting. As I said in the Season 24 info thread I liked the LBJ reference in the final act. I thought Homer having the Krusty suitcase was cute. Uhhh....I dunno there were a couple of other things I just can't recall them though at the moment.

What I didn't like was almost everything else in the episode. I hafta ask was Bart as the narrator in that getup a reference to a Woody Allen film or something? It had to be a reference to something right? Right? If it was it was lost on me. I think there were two things that bothered me most about this episode. First, it had no room to breathe. Every event went by at a lightning pace making none of it feel remotely authentic. It was basically joke after joke and 90 percent of them or so just crashed and burned totally. The second thing was how we've seen all of this before from Bart done much better. Hell Beware My Cheating Bart and The Good, the Sad, and the Drugly seemed like works of art compared to this. I mean I don't mean to insult those episodes as I like both of them but they were the most recent examples that this episode seemed to me like it was trying to imitate, and failing badly. Mary Spuckler was a legitimately enjoyable one time character who wasn't even that key in Apocalypse Cow, and yet they managed to stretch two more episodes out of her at the price of quality. I said it in the Moonshine River review thread but I sooooo wish they kept her other design. Not that I think it'd help here as she was basically just there to react to Bart. I think the saddest part of this entire train wreck was how Marge actually sounded good vocally. Why did we have to waste a good Julie Kavner performance on a terrible episode?

Two more things I did enjoy that came back to me while writing this: First, Milhouse cowering in fear as Homer strangling Bart is reflected through his glasses. Second, Kirk and Luanne agreeing to dump Milhouse. Coincidentally both involve Milhouse who is at the center of next week's episode, which I sincerely hope is better than this was....and I'd bet just about anything it will be. A tentative 1/5, which is the worst of the season so far if it holds up, which I suspect it will but we'll see.

This episode was all over the place and noticeably flawed, but somehow, it worked for me.

I was not looking forward to seeing Mary again, especially since it hasn't even been a whole season since her last episode, but somehow this time she seemed funnier, more important, and I cared about Bart and Mary's relationship a lot more this time than last. They didn't waste time bringing her back like the previous episode, though her reason for being back was a tad weak. I liked Bart's characterization in this episode also, in that while he is obviously making all the wrong decisions in his relationship with Mary, it is also completely believable that he would do so, since he is still just a boy, and we shouldn't expect him to have a great grasp on romance, or the feelings of girls. So even though we can slap our forehead when he neglects Mary, we can still feel bad for him when she dumps him. I was also impressed by how the writing switched gears into involving Homer's relationship problems as well. He doesn't get a whole lot of time, but really he didn't need a whole lot of time, and even scenes that seemed throw-away like Homer driving the car with the navigator on ended up being part of showing how he and Marge have their problems and disagreements. While not all the jokes worked, I was laughing at quite a bit of the gags tonight too. Homer hanging the TV, Kirk and Luann plotting against Millhouse, and even Mary's songs were quite funny and entertaining.

Still, the framing and pacing of this episode felt a little strange overall. I was wondering if they were going to stick with the device of Bart narrating a la Woody Allen throughout the episode, and they kind of did, but kind of didn't. I suppose it's nice that they didn't overdo the gimmick, but the payoff didn't really come off as all that satisfying. It could have been funnier, or more insightful, but it just kind of ends on the note of Bart older and not really wiser. Other things seemed to happen way too fast also, like the fact that we never see Mary compete in the local talent competition, or the fact that we had to set up those other husbands and fathers who neglected their women too. They were funny, but to bring all of them into the story as late and quick as they did didn't gel well. There were other problems too, like Mary showing up too fast again, or Lisa not really having enough of a role given her early mentor appearances, but somehow I just wasn't all that bothered by them.

I liked this episode, quite a bit, and I hope it's not my favorite episode of the season next May, since it is very flawed and the show can do much better, but I was very entertained tonight. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Believe it or not, that wasn't horrible. Still a 2/5, though.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

After the letdown that was Moonshine River, and the "what the fuck?" previews for this episode... I was pleasantly surprised! Better than Moonshine by a mile, though still a 3/5 episode.

It helps a LOT if you have seen Annie Hall, and they sort of poke fun at that fact at the very end which got a laugh out of me. Even then, it's not a particularly strong Annie Hall parody. Like others have said, they didn't quite commit to the framing device. An episode with a similar framing device, The Springfield Files, did a far better job as they returned to the narrator after each commercial break (if I'm not mistaken).

Given we've seen so many Bart has a girlfriend episodes, I was pretty numb to this one, but the story still worked and I did feel for Bart a bit at the very end. The strongest bits were Homer and Bart getting kicked out of the house, the suitcase gag, the Homer hanging the TV gag and a bulk of the stuff taking place at the apartments. I really liked the spin on the montage, using a dry spoken word CD.

So yeah, overall better than I was expecting but too uneven to earn a 4/5. Despite that, I liked seeing an end to the Mary story arc and there were quite a few gags I really liked.

Deleted Scene Alert: Did we see the bit with Bart and Ralph as adults at the bar from the previews? Was it cut, or was I not paying attention? I did play Tapped Out for about 2 minutes.
    UP AND ATOM!

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was not as bad as I had originally thought. It had a few chuckle worthy moments and that's about it. It's not the worst Tim long episode but it's better than Moonshine River.... I give it a 2.5/5 rounded up to a 3 because i'm feeling generous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Oh yeah, a few more things I enjoyed:

- Callback to 22 Short Films, with Mary calling her mom the same way that Cletus called his mom
    - Milhouse watching Homer choking Bart, really funny dark moment - to us it's an old shtick, but in-universe I can imagine it being pretty fucked up to see your best friend being choked by his father on a regular basis
    - Old man Bart was the same design as the one seen in A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again

Also, The Longest Daycare airs next week! Hooray! Can't wait to see it in full HD, no shaky bootleg video camera this time.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

The best part about this episode is that it made me hopeful we've cleared through our Tim Long episode quota for the season and that he won't get three episodes like Season 23.

I chuckled once... for the suitcase joke. The rest of the time I was in utter disbelief at what I was watching. This ep may have set a record for the number of jokes that were dead on arrival. There were just so many of them.

Well, it was still better than Moe Goes From Rags to Riches. That may be it, though.

At least The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed was perfectly watchable until Sacha Baron Cohen showed up... which, ironically, is the exact opposite of the reaction I had watching Les Mis.
    It didn't get watchable UNTIL he showed up.

Bart should not be used to parody Woody Allen. It doesn't work... on ANY level. It's a betrayal of the character. You can do romance with him in ways that don't betray what Bart's about... it's been done expertly in New Kid on the Block, Bart's Girlfriend, The Bart Wants What It Wants (essentially the story of Bart neglecting his girlfriend done a zillion times better)... hell, even Little Big Girl, which crossed the line at least had the good sense to let Bart be himself and was entertaining.

This just seemed like a self-indulgent exercise from Tim Long to show how clever he thinks he is, how great of a songwriter he thinks he is and how funny he thinks he is. I actually think he has a future in writing song lyrics but he should hang it up on the other two fronts.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 02-10-2013 at 06:35 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure if I liked this because it was good on its own merits, or because it didn't totally suck like Moonshine River. I'm conflicted.

Anyway, I liked most of this episode except for the "Woody Allen" spots. I liked how Bart freaked out at Marge for not "saying what you mean until it's too late" and I also liked how the guys made up to their wives at the end, too.

I'd give this a 3/5 for being watchable one time.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adequate. I didn't understand the point of the narration. Was he supposed to be a little Woody Allen or what? They tried to at least put a little character into Mary this time, so that's a plus. And I suppose it was a realistic way to break up as well. But what the hell was that Homer-Marge fight plot? We didn't get any scenes about what actually happened. NONE. It was simply fodder for Homer and Bart to get on the same wavelength. In that regard, yeah, it worked, but there could've been more backstory to that. And then they're together again. Okay. The Bart and Mary plot was definitely more interesting to watch. 3/5 for some good jokes and pretty good A-plot, but what was all that Woody Allen shit?
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 02-10-2013 at 07:03 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    ...but what was all that Woody Allen shit?
    A comedic pot hole.

Blog Entries

pot hole?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

Wow that was one of the worst pieces of shit I've seen from this show.

Honestly, I'd go into detail but this episode was so God Damn bad that it doesn't deserve any more of my time than the 22 minutes it took to watch it.

0.5/5 (I'm giving it half a point because "Love, Indubitably" made me smile).
    How to remaster

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Really kind of a jumbled mess. I kind of liked the framing device, but the characters' logic was really all over the place. Mary's reactions to Bart were on and off, and Bart played the exact opposite to whatever Mary was feeling at the time - or vice-versa, depending on whom you feel is in "control" of the relationship.

Granted: it's tough being someone like Bart, or to be in the same position as Bart: to be with someone only out of fear of that person finding someone else. That, or only wanting someone because she's taken. Whether you consider it the wrong place or the wrong time with Bart and Mary - sheesh. I can't think about it that seriously, and neither should Bart, because Bart's <i>ten</i>. Lisa pressuring him with "you'll never find someone better" or Bart giving in to his typical, ten-year-old tendencies of playing video games don't make this story any more plausible or interesting. Forget the cartoon physics, the Homer and Marge "subplot" (Homer didn't show up for a trivial event and took Marge's idle "I don't care" seriously. Why should I care?), the Beethoven-themed musical number (for which, and I didn't know this before, "Mary" and "forgive me" rhyme very well) and the British love film send-up.

I think the one time I laughed was Kirk and Luann's plan, discussed at "Let's Talk about It Point". A nice one-shot gag. That, and Homer being on such familiar terms with the landlord at the bachelor apartments.

Blog Entries

That Krusty suitcase bit is the perfect example on how to overkill a joke.

Faux Allen commenting on how Antz was "the lesser known of the ant movies" gave me a chuckle.

Okay can we stop giving Bart arcs about this Mary girl which is a thinly-veiled cross-promotion for New Girl now?

edit: I just noticed that a great deal of you haven't seen Annie Hall. Good lord.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Okay can we stop giving Bart arcs about this Mary girl which is a thinly-veiled cross-promotion for New Girl now?
    I just hope we're outright done with "Bart is depressed and angsty" premises. It's like he's swapped gimmicks with Lisa.
    He gets to be a depresso all the time while she's off learning magic, playing with bugs or being Krusty's apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    edit: I just noticed that a great deal of you haven't seen Annie Hall. Good lord.
    It's a 36-year-old flick. Can't expect non-film buffs to be familiar with it.
    Heck, I didn't get around to finally seeing Crimes and Misdemeanors until just last year.

As for Annie Hall, I enjoyed it more when That 70s Show paid homage to it.

Blog Entries

jokes i liked:
    -milhouse finding the choking disturbing
    -the screw-the-audience gag with the suitcase
    -that tape with dialogue playing as if it was a fun music montage.

as for the episode, it was pretty bad. i appreciate the writers trying to create somewhat of an arc but it's just really random and sloppy. i find it really bland how they keep playing mary spuckler as part of a stereotypical background but who is smart and has talent. it's an interesting idea, but it comes off so dull and i really don't care. it's one of those stories where a character like her shows bart the error of his ways, when after all the girlfriend episodes he's had, you would think he would have learned something by now, yet you know they are just going to keep it coming with these types of episodes. bart trying to keep a relationship has to be the most robotic, unnecessary thing on tv right now. like i seriously can't imagine anyone who is following this giving a shit.

Blog Entries

Okay the first act just ended and so far its pretty bad.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    bart trying to keep a relationship has to be the most robotic, unnecessary thing on tv right now. like i seriously can't imagine anyone who is following this giving a shit.
    At this point, the only angle that would be of interest to me that they could potentially explore (apart from Streep returning to voice Jessica, which won't happen) is they bring in a 10-year-old version of Jenda. Seeing how they've got a future storyline built out that they haven't retconned yet of her being an on-again, off-again romantic partner for Bart (and future mother of his two kids), it would be fun seeing what she's like as a kid.

That's about it, though.

This is one of Tim Long's Better Episodes, and most of his episodes are crap. 2.5/5... yep, his better episodes are usually just in the mixed range.
    Things I Disliked
    1/5 - The Episode Itself, it was too damn rushed! Almost every Tim Long episode is rushed.
    1.5/5 - Jokes, In this episode his are not near as good as the classics, including an attempt at a "Break-the-fourth wall" jokes. However, in rare cases, some of his jokes have actually manage to give us a chuckle, not a laugh, but a chuckle in which most of his episodes don't. Still most of his jokes are still non-sense.
    2/5 - Storyline, the story just didn't do it for me. Actually, I felt like Tim Long was trying so hard to get an emotional feeling to the storyline but it just didn't worked out.

Things I admit that was okay.
    3/5 - Art Direction - Yeah, the art direction was actually pretty good... in artistic, but not even that can save the episode from it's storytelling.
    3/5 - Bart's Narration - I got to admit, I at least liked the narration part.
    3.5/5 - Dialogue, despite the acting felt rush, the singing just didn't do it, the storyline wasn't good, I have to admit Tim Long put some good dialogue and words in their. The best dialogue was when Lisa was around, having conversations how you should view Women as people, not objects.

Some of you will probably see my review as stupid but I think it deserves better than a 1/5, not a 4/5, but from 2/5 - 3/5 range. I give this episode a 2.5/5, better than Moonshine River.
    So Far My Opinions On Season 24
    Moonshine River... 2/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXIII... 4/5
    Adventures In Baby-getting... 4.5/5
    Gone Abie Gone... 4/5
    Penny Wiseguys... 2.5/5
    A Tree Grows in Springfield... 3.5/5
    The Day the Earth Stood Cool... 4.5/5
    To Cur, With Love... 5/5 (So far my favorite)
    Homer Goes To Prep School... 3/5
    A Test Before Trying... 3/5
    Love is a Many-Splintered Thing... 2.5/5

(Oh yeah, some advice Tim Long, stop the Mary-Bart Couple storyline! Really now, I liked it better when Bart and Mary were just friends.)
    Last edited by Santa Shoz; 02-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Blog Entries

God this is terrible. 2 acts finished. Alot of the jokes made absolutly no sense and were not even realavent to anything. Family Guy much?

Blog Entries

0/5 Worst episode ever!

This episode took 22 minutes of my life and i want them back.

Blog Entries

This episode was terrible. The jokes weren't funny (with the exception of two from the first act), Mary was a jerk (the song she sang was just cringe-worthy), and Marge was just.. your typical Marge that gets mad at Homer. The only characters that were okay was Lisa and Milhouse and they were barely in this episode. Bart didn't seem to act right. From the episodes I seen that dealt with Bart getting a girlfriend, he didn't seem to care that much about losing them. Sure he got sad, but he got over it like 10 year old should. Oh, and Bart was jerk in this episode too.

Though, I did enjoy the ending theme in the credits and Lisa looked adorable in the hat she was wearing around the end.

Rating: 1/5 (on poll)

Actually, I will give this episode a 0.5/5. I was too generous with my 1/5.

Fuck it! 0/5
    Last edited by Teddy; 02-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Everything was wrong with this episode. The majority of the jokes were jusr random and didn't make uch sense, everything felt soo forced especially Bart liking Mary and when they broke up Iwas suppossd to care but I just couldn't becauseBarts feeling s felt so forced. Marge was just there to be a typical tv wife who kicks out the husband

-0000000/5

It wasn't so bad. The only thing weird it was the whole Woody Allen stuff.
    3/5
    Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps: 2/5 | The Wreck of the Relationship: 3.5/5 | Super Franchise Me: 4.5/5 | Treehouse of Horror XXV: 5/5 | Opposites A-Frack: 3/5 | Simpsorama: 4.5/5

I drink too much wine, I forget things.
    In order to remember them, I drink more wine.

Thread Information